Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Black and White thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Challenger's cave is a bit of a letdown, isn't it? No legendary hiding in there, even though one of the trainers mentioned one? Am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Yeah I agree. I spent ages wandering around it, looking for the door to the room with the legendary pokémon in it that I was sure I'd missed. That comment about there being a legendary pokémon there is very misleading. I think it might be a reference to Keldeo but I have no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

elekid wrote: »
    Yeah I agree. I spent ages wandering around it, looking for the door to the room with the legendary pokémon in it that I was sure I'd missed. That comment about there being a legendary pokémon there is very misleading. I think it might be a reference to Keldeo but I have no idea.
    I reckon it's one of the 3 to be mystery gift evented

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Won't be a WiFi Mystery Gift if Japan is anything to go by - there's Victini, the sneezy-bear, 3 mystery eggs, the Scraggy and the Zoaroark. Might be an in-store event (which from an Irish point of view might as well be "you can only get it if you live in Narnia" event).... I guess we could look it up on Bulbagarden.... or sit on our arses and shine the BuzzSignal on City Hall!

Banjo wrote: »
    Won't be a WiFi Mystery Gift if Japan is anything to go by - there's Victini, the sneezy-bear, 3 mystery eggs, the Scraggy and the Zoaroark. Might be an in-store event (which from an Irish point of view might as well be "you can only get it if you live in Narnia" event).... I guess we could look it up on Bulbagarden.... or sit on our arses and shine the BuzzSignal on City Hall!
    *grabs some pop corn and starts playing heartgold*

Let me know when she gets here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

elekid wrote: »
    It sounds like Cobalion might have been training Keldeo there in the past, just a guess though. The Keldeo event on Youtube contains mild spoilers and a shiny hack.
    ... or sit on our arses and shine the BuzzSignal on City Hall!
    Or send me a PM/email or Facebook message :P
    *grabs some pop corn and starts playing heartgold*

Let me know when she gets here :D
    *eats some of the popcorn* Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Dear Ghetsis,
    Please stop being such a c*nt with that damn Hydreigon of yours

Sincerely,
    An annoyed trainer

Ice beam hydregion? It works pretty well iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Ice Beam is post story :P

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Ice Beam is post story :P
    Oh, I forgot it's completely impossible to get pokemon with that move until you finish the game..... If only there was some way to trade with other people around the wporld or have pokemon from previous games in yours :P

• Advertisement

Importing them from other games is also Post-Game stuff.

While you can trade over an Ice Beaming 'mon from another player who's finished the main single player quest, *that* guy had to beat him without Ice Beam or got Ice Beam off someone who did - if you go far enough back up the chain, some one some where had to have done it because they were the first guy to face him. So it's possible. It *has* to be.

I seem to recall using a red-faced-dragon (Druddigon?) to rip him a new one.
    (I'm not claiming to be Player Zero, BTW, I just didn't know anyone with Ice Beam :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Vanillite learns Ice Beam at level 35

Hydreigon is also weak to Fighting and Bug if you have either of those types on your team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Sadly, my Vanilluxe got obliterated by Hydreigon's Fire Blast which makes things a little trickier - a few more levels should help (I think my Vanilluxe is only Lv49 at the moment) but, according to Bulbapedia, Hydreigon has higher speed so my plan was to level my Mienfoo and evolve it, then kick his ass that way :pac:

Cryoganal learns it early enough too (33). And they're pretty quick on their feet.
    Winter's the best time to catch 'em so grab some dusk balls and your lucky cap!

I don't think you can reasonably breed it off the Vanillite or Cryoganal pre-end-game though so those are your options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

FINALLY caught Crygonal. That thing was a right bitch. Now to put it in storage for all eternity...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Urizen wrote: »
    FINALLY caught Crygonal. That thing was a right bitch. Now to put it in storage for all eternity...

I would have traded you it! :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

First Pokémon I caught when I was in the mountain... Didn't realise it was rare at all, and that wasn't even in winter! :D Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Holy ****, what happened to catch rate in this generation...

Just streamed a bit of Pokémon Black there on my NGame channel, and went for a bit of legendary hunting.

The results for several Pokémon I caught with supposedly low catch rates, all of which were down to about 5% health, no status conditions:
    • Cobalion (CR 5) = 4 Dusk Balls
    • Terrakion (CR 5) = 1 Dusk Ball
    • Virizion (CR 5) = 5 Dusk Balls
    • Metang (CR 3) = 8 Dusk Balls
    • Kyurem (CR 3) = 6 Dusk Balls

Just caught Kyurem with one stinkin ultra ball. Just in the red with a burn. Wheres the fun in that! Prepared myself for a marathon battle like mewtoo in firered. Im a liitle disappointed actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Wow, the sections of the game between reaching the Elite Four and seeing the credits for the first time are amazing! They really went all out on the cinematics, didn't they? I actually really liked the plot, too, much stronger than the usual fare in that you could actually empathise with the villains' viewpoints. The last few lines of dialogue before the credits were very stirring, too. T'was great stuff, anyway, Black's turning out to be possibly my favourite Pokémon game to date.

Also, I did some preparation before that section of the game, in the form of breeding a Timid Synchronize Munna and training a Haxorus until it had 120 speed. As a result, I managed to catch a Reshiram I'm really happy with (Timid, 15/8/31/23/19/31)! Plus, the new catch mechanics allowed me to catch it in a Premier Ball, so it's appropriately themed. :)

• Advertisement

Well now here's an interesting development.. but first some backstory:

I have managed to lose my collection of DS game cards. I haven't been able to find my game card box with a Giratina Centipede mode sticker since returning to Dublin, sad is me. Games in the case include Pokémon Diamond US, Pokémon Diamond Spanish, Pokémon Diamond French, Pokémon Diamond JAP, Pokémon Link PAL, Pokémon Pearl US, Pokémon Heart Gold PAL, Pokémon Black JAP, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Sky, Sonic Classic Collection PAL, Scribblenauts US, Band Hero PAL (I know, a lot, I feel like and idiot already). If you found them please return them, I will pay a reward in cash or be your eternal slave, or something other arrangement that's useful for the finder.

Anyway....I lucky kept back up files of all my games up to date on my computer. My sister and I have bought a Pokémon Black DSi for my nephew for Christmas from eBay that is sitting in my gaff. I decided to load my Japanese Black save into the English Black game expecting it to crash.

Oddly enough it didn't. The save file works perfectly, it even has the Charizard Japanese C-Gear skin (could have sworn I had the Victini one on though). The eggs in the party are in English, un-nicknamed Pokémon in the boxes are the default English names, unhatched eggs are still タマゴ, Wondercard titles are in Japanese with the descriptions in English. Dunno yet how it will function with the Dream World as that is currently down for maintenance.

I though it was worth posting. I have ordered a replacement JAP Black second hand from eBay for just over £15, as I wouldn't be keeping my nephew's game as my sister will be taking in a few weeks time and I will still need to do cloning in the future.

Best of luck getting those games back.

I did something similar on diamond - moved my US save game onto a European cart, it was always treated as a european game for the purposes of WiFi events, trading, pal parking etc. Interesting to know the generic names and name fields get translated over from Japanese though...

I decided to load my Japanese Black save into the English Black game expecting it to crash.

Sounds about right. I've used saves from Japanese ROMs with the European ROMs so it makes sense that it would work the same with the real cards as well. I don't think there's anything region-specific in the saves themselves, hence why it works easily, albeit your name, nicknames, box names and other stuff remains in Japanese :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just bought Black at the weekend and have to say it's definitely the hardest in-game Pokemon game I've played.

Not bought one of these games since Ruby. When did they introduce the fluctuating experience gain based on level difference?

I'd say it's great for end game raising of lower level pokemon, but makes grinding for levels a lot harder.

Think I'll stick with my current six (Servine/Panpour/Munna/Sawk/Tranquill/Lillipup) until after the E4 and then start experimenting with lots of the new Pokemon in the game.

I restarted White a couple days ago (again). Gonna see this one through so I can trade Zekrom and Thunderous over to my Black and up the 'dex. Just past Castelia now. Current team is Pignite (Vulcan), Liepard (Vixen), Woobat (Vortex), Tranquill (Vertical), Pansage (Vegan) and Blitzle (Voltage).

When did they introduce the fluctuating experience gain based on level difference?

Just now, in Gen 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭SamIAmNot

My Pokèmon White is actually nearly full. As in no room to catch or hatch new pokèmon... I'm thinking I'm going to have to get Black for extra room. In hindsite I think sending all your pokèmon from all your previous games was a bad idea... Whoops :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Where's this gen's Pokémon box when you need it :(

Did you unlock all the PC boxes?

Did you unlock all the PC boxes?

Haha yup :D I've about 8 or so spaces left, and I still have to catch the musketeers and the ice dragon...

Finally finished the E4 last week. Forgot about the b@$t@rd ramp in NPC 'mon levels up to mid 60's for the 2nd half of the map... but it's surprisingly easy to walk all the way from the 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock avoiding npcs - think I had to fight 2 in total. Just need to track down the legends now.

In terms of levelling, after the E4 you can face off against Level 47-50 Audino - there's a convenient strip of grass just before the white forest - which with a lucky egg will easily get you up to level 60-70 comfortably without the grind getting you down too much. Even more so if using a traded 'mon. I've been raising the levels on traded pokemon using Exp share there, a Level 1 can get around 11,000 exp points and jump up to mid-twenties in one fight! You can easily raise most normal mon to their 3rd evo with minimal impact on their EVs.

In terms of levelling, after the E4 you can face off against Level 47-50 Audino - there's a convenient strip of grass just before the white forest - which with a lucky egg will easily get you up to level 60-70 comfortably without the grind getting you down too much. Even more so if using a traded 'mon. I've been raising the levels on traded pokemon using Exp share there, a Level 1 can get around 11,000 exp points and jump up to mid-twenties in one fight! You can easily raise most normal mon to their 3rd evo with minimal impact on their EVs.

That sound tres interesting. I tend to level to about 20/25, then EV train in one of my chosen locations. By the end, they're usually early 30's, then I train in the Halls. This'll be interesting.

Also, teamwise, now we have Emboar (Vulcan), Zebstrika (Voltage), Krokorok (Vengeance), Deerling (Vernal), Tirtouga (Valiance) and Sigilyph (Vigilance), just past Driftveil.

• Advertisement

Urizen wrote: »

Also, teamwise, now we have Emboar (Vulcan), Zebstrika (Voltage), Krokorok (Vengeance), Deerling (Vernal), Tirtouga (Valiance) and Sigilyph (Vigilance), just past Driftveil.

Got bit of a V theme going on have we? Lol

SamIAmNot wrote: »
    Got bit of a V theme going on have we? Lol

I always theme my 'mon. My Black AllGen team is named after the Endless (all D), my Black Endgame team was Occultists (at the start anyway), my SoulSilver team is named after Greek Titans. And my White Endgame team will all begin with V. Agent Smith would be proud :D

I officially hate Emolgo or whatever that Electric/Flying pokemon that uses Double Team is.

I officially hate Emolgo or whatever that Electric/Flying pokemon that uses Double Team is.

I only hate it because Gym guy says 'Electric types don't do well against Ground'. Well, we know that. Out ya come Sandile. First mon out: Emolga. Immune to Ground. Le bleh.

#fúckingemolgas

#fúckingemolgas
    You should make a Facebook page on it...

Beat her last night finally. Rogenrolla or whatever it's called served me well.

I assume Relic Castle is something I have to come back to later?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The_Consumer

I have been since today using an experience share on a hard to find bold natured Yamask for it to evolve into Cofagrigus..it resulted in battling the elite four 3 times (and winning) and now it is at level 71...and im wondering is this a good idea for my Cofagrigus?
    Cofagrigus (Leftovers) (bold)
    Will-o-wisp
    Shadow ball
    Calm mind
    Hidden power (fighting)
    evs: 252 defence 252 hp 4 special

^ from Smogon...

I have been since today using an experience share on a hard to find bold natured Yamask for it to evolve into Cofagrigus..it resulted in battling the elite four 3 times (and winning) and now it is at level 71...and im wondering is this a good idea for my Cofagrigus?
    Cofagrigus (Leftovers) (bold)
    Will-o-wisp
    Shadow ball
    Calm mind
    Hidden power (fighting)
    evs: 252 defence 252 hp 4 special

^ from Smogon...
    The question is more: What role do you want Cofagrigus to achieve?
    Do you need it to stall? Do you want it to tank? Do you want it to be a support? Do you want it to regular or Trick Room sweep? Will it be used for Single, Double, Rotation or Triple battles?

Consider all these options before starting. Smogon movesets are designed for singles battles and mostly for Pokémon Online for a few clicks gets you perfect IVs, hidden power etc.

Some fresh ideas for movesets:

Stall @ Leftovers
    252 Def, 252 S.D, 4 HP
    Curse/Hex (if running Will-o-Wisp)
    Toxic/Will-O-wisp
    Protect
    Substitute
    Notes: Works well, only pitfalls are getting a Taunt and the choice of poison or burn.

Tank @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
    252 Def, 252 S.D, 4 HP
    Rest
    Toxic/Will-O-wisp/Swagger
    Protect
    Substitute
    Notes: Same as Stall really

Support @ Mental Herb
    252 Def, 252 S.D, 4 HP
    Trick Room
    Telekinesis/Protect
    Safeguard
    Shadow Ball/Rest/Imprison (egg)
    Notes: Set up Trick Room, make the opponent easier to hit, Safeguard to prevent statuses, and either Rest or attack, Imprison to prevent the opponent team using any of your moves.

Regular/Trick Room Sweeper @ Life Orb/Expert belt
    252 S.A, 252 Def, 4 HP
    Nasty Plot (egg)
    Shadow Ball
    Grass Knot
    Psychic
    Notes
    Notes: Nasty Plot and keep hitting things, job done.

Other fun options involve Telekinesis and Mean Look, opponent has to stay in and get hit easier. Power Spilt against a Physical Sweeper to cripple them. Guard Spilt on your own Sweeper to make them harder to take out. Then there's playing with the ability, switching in Cofagigus on an expected contact move changes the target's ability to the useless Mummy. Also getting your own creature to hit Cofagigus to remove their ability (i.e. Slaking, Regigigas).

Have fun playing and consider all options, not just the standard :)

I recently discovered how unbalanced the games are. In black its possible to get every non-legendary mon via GTS, where as in white you can't! I'm of course refering to Vullaby and its evlovement whoes name eludes me right now.
    I know I can orgazine a trade on here for one eventually, but it just annoys me that I can't get it via GTS. Plus its not fair on people who aren't on sites like these where they can orgainze trades!!!

Pheww... venting over ;P

• Advertisement

I recently discovered how unbalanced the games are. In black its possible to get every non-legendary mon via GTS, where as in white you can't! I'm of course refering to Vullaby and its evlovement whoes name eludes me right now.
    I know I can orgazine a trade on here for one eventually, but it just annoys me that I can't get it via GTS. Plus its not fair on people who aren't on sites like these where they can orgainze trades!!!

Pheww... venting over ;P

I can breed a vullaby for you if you want! Just let me know :) What do you mean you can't get non legendaries off the GTS, it's the same GTS no? :P

I don't think you can see a Vullaby in White where you can see a Braviary or whatever it's called in Black, so you can complete your B/W Pokedex (excluding Legends) using only a solo game, GTS and breeding. Since you can't trade for something you haven't seen on GTS, White requires that someone offers you a Vullaby.

Ahh now I get ya! Having a bit of a slow night :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Ok need Grimer Voltorb Diglett Meowth Tauros Natu Phanpy Teddiursa Skarmory and Tentacool can get anything for these pokemon

Ok need Grimer Voltorb Diglett Meowth Tauros Natu Phanpy Teddiursa Skarmory and Tentacool can get anything for these pokemon
    Pretty sure Taurus is catchable in black/white. Stop being so lazy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Hes not your thinking of bouffalant

Well, Dream World iirc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Audino makes leveling up in this so easy.

uh-oh! I completely cracked and bought Black. Picked it up in Argos. I really wanted to play the game again but couldn't with White because of ALL my Pokémon are on it.

Only thing that annoys me is I can't get the Liberty Ticket now D:

• Advertisement

uh-oh! I completely cracked and bought Black. Picked it up in Argos. I really wanted to play the game again but couldn't with White because of ALL my Pokémon are on it.

Only thing that annoys me is I can't get the Liberty Ticket now D:

Exact same boat I was in :(

Advertisement