Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas Koner reissue

Options
  • 01-02-2011 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else pick this up?

http://boomkat.com/cds/324153-thomas-koner-nunatak-teimo-permafrost-special-triple-cd-edition

I've only listened to the first disc so far (Nunatak) but it's quite special - deep, low-frequency clouds of sound welling up out of the abyss punctuated by ice floes cracking, ropes creaking and metal tanks being beaten deep under water. The closest comparison I can draw would be Ligeti in the mode of "Atmospheres" or "Lontano" or Sunn O)))'s more abstract material. Suffice to say, it would be worth the price even without the other two discs.

Anyone know what Koner is up to now? Or if there's any chance of any of the Porter Ricks material being reissued? It seems like Chain Reaction are allowing the artists to reissue their own albums - certainly Vladisav Delay and Monolake have - but my distant memory of old cassettes is that the Porter Ricks album was the pick of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Cheers for this link. Nunatak is one of my favourite records. It's outstanding.

No idea what Koner is up to now, though.

I see it costs £3.30 (i.e. sterling) to deliver that to ROI. Wonder why it's so expensive - is it in an unusually large box?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

Been playing tracks off this on the last 3 shows. It's magic. Check the soundcloud link in my sig for the shows if you want.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I meant to pick this up before - hope they've still got stock of it by the time I'm paid at the end of this month!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

rottenhat wrote: »
    Did anyone else pick this up?

http://boomkat.com/cds/324153-thomas-koner-nunatak-teimo-permafrost-special-triple-cd-edition

I've only listened to the first disc so far (Nunatak) but it's quite special - deep, low-frequency clouds of sound welling up out of the abyss punctuated by ice floes cracking, ropes creaking and metal tanks being beaten deep under water. The closest comparison I can draw would be Ligeti in the mode of "Atmospheres" or "Lontano" or Sunn O)))'s more abstract material. Suffice to say, it would be worth the price even without the other two discs.

It's something else. The whole set is fantastic, usually this sort of ambient thing leaves me cold (pun intended) but he really knows what he's doing. I actually feel chilly listening to it.
    Anyone know what Koner is up to now? Or if there's any chance of any of the Porter Ricks material being reissued? It seems like Chain Reaction are allowing the artists to reissue their own albums - certainly Vladisav Delay and Monolake have - but my distant memory of old cassettes is that the Porter Ricks album was the pick of them.

Don't know anything about any of that either.
    I see it costs £3.30 (i.e. sterling) to deliver that to ROI. Wonder why it's so expensive - is it in an unusually large box?

£3.30 isn't expensive to ship a 3CD set (it's not a box, just card sleeve).

• Advertisement

It is actually quite a bit over the odds. You can send something up to 500g in weight for only €1.90 with An Post if it's the size of a CD. There's no way three CDs and a card sleeve weighs even half that much.
    John wrote: »
    £3.30 isn't expensive to ship a 3CD set (it's not a box, just card sleeve).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I wouldn't consider it unreasonable though, I'm sure there's the price of the packing (albeit that's bound to be cheap) a handling fee in there considering boomkat employ someone to do their mail order. I'd put it at about the average I'd be charged for ordering CDs from the UK (unless ordering from Amazon which is free if you have Prime or pick the slowest shipping method).

That's you. I happen think it's a frickin outrage.*

*Not really.
    John wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider it unreasonable though, I'm sure there's the price of the packing (albeit that's bound to be cheap) a handling fee in there considering boomkat employ someone to do their mail order. I'd put it at about the average I'd be charged for ordering CDs from the UK (unless ordering from Amazon which is free if you have Prime or pick the slowest shipping method).

Advertisement