Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evicted by the banks

Options
  • 01-02-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,

We are a groups of tenants renting a house in Dublin suburbs. We recently received a letter from a solicitor telling us to vacate the property in the next month.

It seems the banks have repossessed the house from our landlord, who never bothered to inform us of a single detail of this whole process.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks,

Worried Tenants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Write to the landlord, explaining you understand things are difficult for many people, but you would like them to confirm the situation.

I would suspect the bank needs to give you proper notice, in line with how long you have been there.

Your landlord that you gave the deposit to owes you that deposit.

You might ask the bank if you can stay on as tenants. However, insist on your rights, including the amount of notice you are entitled to. Be wary of agreeing, especially signing, anything.

You might talk to Threshold to confirm what the situation is, e.g. is the bank your new landlord and what rights do they owe you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Victor wrote: »
    I would suspect the bank needs to give you proper notice, in line with how long you have been there.

I find it impossible to believe that would not be the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Check the legal diary on courts.ie and find out if the landlorrds name is in it. If it was a court ordered repossession you should have been notified. If not the bank is your new landlord.

Advertisement