Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting agency - wanted to photo bedrooms during inspection - invasive or what?

Options
  • 01-02-2011 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Recently had inspection (prearranged) of our domestic property, we have lived here 3 years.

At the start of the meeting the E Agent produced a camera in the kitchen. She explained that the entire house would be photographed (even upstairs)! Before any could be taken, I objected to our bedrooms, “our sleeping quarters” being photographed. I explained that our baby is asleep there as well.

Also explained, the previous two inspections on previous years the agents said they didnt want to go upstairs at all let alone take photos.

I found this very invasive and requested no photos and she ended the inspection after seeing the sitting room / kitchen. No photos were taken.

She said it was "policy". (must be a new policy) The reason for the photos was “if she spotted some structural damage it may be averted!”

Is it very odd to want to photograph bedrooms in an inspection of a house / apartment?

I explained if I was the LL and I wanted photos I would take them before I rented the property out.

We have always paid the rent on time and been excellent tenants.

Does anyone else find it a bit creepy and invasive to request their bedrooms photographed by letting agents during an inspection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Several reputable letting agencies I know will provide photos of the property to the LL once or twice a year; this is useful especially if the LL is far away and can't ever view his own property, to make sure tenants don't do damage and letting agent is doing his job. I don't see anything creepy about this, though they should have told you ahead of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Why would you have a problem with this?
    They don't want photos of your personal belongings, just what belongs to the landlord (surely). Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 whats going on at all

Zulu wrote: »
    Why would you have a problem with this?
    They don't want photos of your personal belongings, just what belongs to the landlord (surely). Correct me if I'm wrong.

The previous 2 years the agents didnt want to even go up stairs, this year a new agent rep (same agency) wants to go to our bedrooms and take photos as well? I find this to be a total invasion of privacy.

Our child was asleep on the bed upstairs as well, and she just didnt care about this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

“if she spotted some structural damage it may be averted!”
    If she spots some damage, perhaps then take a photo.

Your home is your castle and short of you abusing the property, there should be no reason to take photos.

While they may need to prove to the landlord they have been there, they could easily do that with a photo of today's paper outside the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I seriously think this stuff needs to be properly regulated. The current setup is a joke.

While there are good agencies and landlords out there, there are also some people who seem to think that they're pre-famine landed gentry dealing with the pesants or something.

We had a few incidences in Cork where an agency sent an SMS to a wrong number, then arrived in the house unannounced with cameras and the works at 8:30 in the morning. We told them where to go! While there was nothing unusual in the house and it was extremely tidy, I was very upset by someone walking into my house while I was getting ready for work. I came out of the shower and found a strange woman with a camera in my hallway!

Also, in Dublin I had a few incidents where our landlady gave a handyman keys and property was stolen from the apartment. We had to get the Gardai involved but because the keys had been voluntarily handed over we had all sorts of problems with our insurance company.

I was fuming mad. She treated exceptionally badly and hiked the rent every year, even though rents in the area were falling.

Access to a property really should be mutually arranged and agreed upon unless there's some kind of serious problem i.e. a flood.

It's not that hard to lift a phone, ring the tenant and say we need to call up next week to check the plumbing or whatever, when would suit you?

Again, the only explanation that I can come up with for the poor regulation of this stuff in Ireland is that Fianna Fail basically represent small-time dodgy property developers more than they represent normal people.

Perhaps it's also because many people who were renting typically didn't vote in general elections ? i.e. not living in the area long-term, politically passive or not eligible to vote in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

The previous 2 years the agents didnt want to even go up stairs, this year a new agent rep (same agency) wants to go to our bedrooms and take photos as well? I find this to be a total invasion of privacy.

Our child was asleep on the bed upstairs as well, and she just didnt care about this either.

It's a downside of renting.
    Time to buy! :D

Oh sorry this isn't AAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

mathie wrote: »
    It's a downside of renting.
    Time to buy! :D

Oh sorry this isn't AAM.

Are you working for the FF-developer-oligarch-banking lobby or something?
    :D:D

Victor wrote: »
    If she spots some damage, perhaps then take a photo.

Your home is your castle and short of you abusing the property, there should be no reason to take photos.

While they may need to prove to the landlord they have been there, they could easily do that with a photo of today's paper outside the property.

I agree.

When we first moved in here 08, we signed leases but were awaiting our copy back. a day or so later the letting agent was outside the house and just getting into her car and said.

"So you are one of these bastar_ds waiting for the price of properties to drop"

I cant prove she said that, no witnesses. At this stage all our stuff was moved in, too late to not move in. [/COLOR]

We got a new Rep in year 2 and didnt have to deal with her again.

Previous tenants I spoke to - lived here for 4 years said "on exit from the property they tried to keep our deposit even though they had agreed to stay +30 days over the lease" moving to their new purchased house. They tried to make out they went 1 day into yet another month and so they owed + 1 month rent. They got their deposit back as they were chancing their arms. They paid the rent for 4 years and they tried to screw them as a thankyou.

The previous tenants said they were so upset with them.

• Advertisement

Solair wrote: »
    Are you working for the FF-developer-oligarch-banking lobby or something?
    :D:D

Not at all!

On a side note anyone want some shares in AIB?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Previous tenants I spoke to - lived here for 4 years said "on exit from the property they tried to keep our deposit even though they had agreed to stay +30 days over the lease" moving to their new purchased house.

Having photos is a good way to prove they have no reason to hold the deposit.

I think having photos taken once or twice a year is a very good and positive thing. Both parties (once given a copy) have proof that no damage is done and that the place is being maintained properly. The photos are also useful if there is a problem further down the line.

Personally, I think you're over-reacting, but they could have let you know in advance about the photos, and not gone in to where your child was sleeping.

Paulw wrote: »
    Having photos is a good way to prove they have no reason to hold the deposit.

I think having photos taken once or twice a year is a very good and positive thing. Both parties (once given a copy) have proof that no damage is done and that the place is being maintained properly. The photos are also useful if there is a problem further down the line.

Personally, I think you're over-reacting, but they could have let you know in advance about the photos, and not gone in to where your child was sleeping.

Its a invasion of privacy.

See moderators comment above, I agree with it.

"If she spots some damage, perhaps then take a photo.
    Your home is your castle and short of you abusing the property, there should be no reason to take photos"

Your landlord cannot enter your rented property without your permission. If repairs or inspections need to be carried out, you must allow your landlord or repair staff access to the property by prior arrangement. If your landlord has entered your property without permission, remind them that this is a violation of your rights as a tenant. If the problem continues, you should contact Threshold for advice. Again, they may advise you to make an application to the PRTB.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/disputes_between_landlords_and_tenants.html

No mention of photos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Its a invasion of privacy.

See moderators comment above, I agree with it.

"If she spots some damage, perhaps then take a photo.
    Your home is your castle and short of you abusing the property, there should be no reason to take photos"

I just disagree. It's not an invasion of privacy - they have a legal right to inspect the property. You agreed to allow the agent in so there can be no invasion of privacy.

While "Your home is your castle" ... it's not YOUR home. It belongs to the landlord, who wants to be sure that their property is properly taken care of.

The photos work for both you and the landlord. You both have proof of the condition of the house, over time.

I just disagree. It's not an invasion of privacy - they have a legal right to inspect the property. You agreed to allow the agent in so there can be no invasion of privacy.

While "Your home is your castle" ... it's not YOUR home. It belongs to the landlord, who wants to be sure that their property is properly taken care of.

The photos work for both you and the landlord. You both have proof of the condition of the house, over time.

Visually inspect the property - yes.

Do they have a legal right to take lots of photos of the entire place with all our personal belongings in it? I think not. If something is damaged, fair enough to take a photo.

The place is kept immaculate, better than what we got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

The property belongs to the LL but once they sign a lease with someone they loose certain rights to the property as per the lease with the tenants and it becomes the tenants home. There is no need for an agent to come and take photos during the course of the tenancy. The tenants would be smart to take photos when they move out but as long as they return the property in the same condition they got it what they did during the tenancy and how they kept the property during the tenancy is no business of the agent nor the LL. Inspections are to make sure the tenants are not causing any damage to the structure of the building and that any repairs that may have been carried out have been done so correctly [most times it is the tenant who will be at home to let trades men in and inspections are the first time an agent or LL sees the repair work] They are in the property and can use their own eyes to inspect it and have no need to take photos. The LL has hired them to inspect and if they want to view the property themselves then they should come themselves and if they can't due to being to far away then tough.

What assurances has the tenant that the agent will keep the photos of their property [clothes, tv, computer etc etc] stored somewhere safe so as to stop people seeing what property they have, were it's all stored and what the security on the inside of the building is like?

ztoical wrote: »
    The property belongs to the LL but once they sign a lease with someone they loose certain rights to the property as per the lease with the tenants and it becomes the tenants home. There is no need for an agent to come and take photos during the course of the tenancy. The tenants would be smart to take photos when they move out but as long as they return the property in the same condition they got it what they did during the tenancy and how they kept the property during the tenancy is no business of the agent nor the LL. Inspections are to make sure the tenants are not causing any damage to the structure of the building and that any repairs that may have been carried out have been done so correctly [most times it is the tenant who will be at home to let trades men in and inspections are the first time an agent or LL sees the repair work] They are in the property and can use their own eyes to inspect it and have no need to take photos. The LL has hired them to inspect and if they want to view the property themselves then they should come themselves and if they can't due to being to far away then tough.

What assurances has the tenant that the agent will keep the photos of their property [clothes, tv, computer etc etc] stored somewhere safe so as to stop people seeing what property they have, were it's all stored and what the security on the inside of the building is like?

Agreed.

Another point. We have lots of family photos all over the place here and I dont want a estate agent rep - a complete stranger Ive never met before, taking photos which include my family photos in the back ground. Our child is very special to us.

We had no prior notice of a photo shoot.
    We werent asked "can I take photos", she took out her phone pointed it at the kitchen wall and said Im going to take some photos for the landlord !

Even with a prior request to photo the entire place, I wouldnt grant permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Whats the big deal here?Yes the agency should have told you beforehand that their taking photos but why are you blowing it out of proportion. God forbid they might see a bed and some clothes on ground, i just dont see the problem in someone taking photos of the bedrooms.

The LL has the right to inspect his house(entire house) so they are within their rights to go up stairs.The baby situation isnt their problem,some tenants might use this as an excuse to hide damages upstairs so if i was a landlord i would still go upstairs.

As others have said, they take photos as a method of protection for both parties. As long as you have kept the house in the same condition,you shouldnt have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Assuming you have the oppertunity to take down photos & not have family members faces in the shot - whats your objection?
    What are you worried about?
    What are you afraid of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We have lots of family photos all over the place here
    Ah. I see your concern. You're afraid the landlord may withhold some of your rent to fix the walls that your photos were hanging from. Good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is the OP's home, it is also the landlord's property, but he gets paid for the OP's use of it.

Advertisement