Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating Revenue for Boards

Options
  • 01-02-2011 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

Boards.ie , in my view, could bee much more successful in attracting paid subscriptions if a review was made of the current approach.

At the moment the fee is €50 per year and the vast majority of people are not even aware of this option or its 'benefits'.

Overall there is a lot of goodwill towards boards, and that could easily be monetized to ensure that boards is well funded and in a position to improve the services overtime.

My first issue is with the price. €50 is too high for most people, no matter how much they like boards. €20 would be in a range that people would find it easy to decide, and I suggest that additional sign ups would more than compensate for the lower price.

Promotion 1: There should be more visibility of this option, advertised either as a means to support boards (and advertised as such) or as a 'status' symbol, such as the avatar option.

Promotion 2: Why not have competitions where the prize is the subscription? It costs nothing and will create awareness and desirability.

Promotion 3: Why not have a 30 day promotion to test the theory of takeup on a lower price? Offer it for €20 for a limited period of time.

Of course, you could also adopt payment in kind for work done. For instance, I think I deserve a free paid subscription for this great advice :D
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

There's already a lenghty thread on it here somewhere

Edit: here we go

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056138591

_

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ive proposed something along these lines for the same reasons in a thread here last year.

You'd swear the OP was an alt account of mine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

snyper wrote: »
    Ive proposed something along these lines for the same reasons in a thread here last year.

You'd swear the OP was an alt account of mine :pac:

Not sure how credible this will sound, but I swear I never came across your post (or any other post) with similar ideas. I am doing a business course at the moment and thought this was a good use for the knowledge being acquired :)

Will look out for your post to see if I can find it. I am curious now.

OK, found it (from 15-02-2010, 20:00):
    Ive never subscribed to boards. I should and i may but tbh, 50 quid is a little on the harsh side for what it is. Yes, i could say i do get alot of enjoyment from the site and that there is alot of cost in running the site an perhaps i should contribute to it, but personally ive never been a fan of the subscription structure on this site.

My suggestion for what its worth, would be to get rid of the temp subscriptions .. ie monthly etc and have it as anually only.
    Change the levels of the subscription packages to perhaps - Gold, Silver and Bronze subscriptions with an anual term.

The 3 "packages" would contain different benefits, some that exist and some that perhaps could be offered, and the prices would be gradiated accordingly.

Bronze could cost as little as 10 euro - you would be a "Bronze subscriber" you would have very basic extras - perhaps a namechange ability and access to avatars

Silver -same as bronze but with most of the features that are available to full subscribers now but would cost 25 euro.

Gold Subscribers - These would cost as much 60 - 80 euro but perhaps there could be exclusive priviledges that could be created / made available to entice subscriptions.. i have a few in mind but dont want to suggest them openly yet

The reasons i suggest consideration of the restructure is because

a i would like to subscribe, merely to support the siteand perhaps have an avatar, but my 50 quid is abit much for an avatar, and if i did subscribe i would like to do so for a year.. im too lazy to do it every much, and not trust worthy enough to do it recurringly.

b I think personally it would create more revenue for the site, i know 50 euro isnt the largest subscription in the world for a site but its alot more than i paid before on other sites. I do think members want to support the site but for many people that would subscribe the fee is too much, alot of subscriptions would be from younger people in the late teens and again i think the 50 euro is a little out of their range.
    ^ ^ ^ ^
    2 cents

Yes, there is a common theme alright - namely the proposed yearly rate, and the common interest in helping find a way for boards to do better financially. But overall I think they are quite different (relief) and possibly complementary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Zynks wrote: »
    OK, found it (from 15-02-2010, 20:00):

Yes, there is a common theme alright - namely the proposed yearly rate, and the common interest in helping find a way for boards to do better financially. But overall I think they are quite different (relief) and possibly complementary.

I wasnt suggesting you were copying an idea, i was amused that they were similar ;)

Great minds etc etc

• Advertisement

I wasnt suggesting you were copying an idea, i was amused that they were similar ;)

Great minds etc etc

I know you didn't... I guess I take great pride on my originality :D

Advertisement