Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo Workshop with Bruce Percy

• 01-02-2011 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of attending one of Brucy Percy's weekend workshops this month and was wondering if any of you have been on any of his previous workshops? His site details a number of different workshops but haven't yet settled on which one I might attend: http://www.brucepercy.co.uk/pages/workshops/workshops_weekend.php

Testimonials on his site are glowing and I suspect it will be a great learning experience, but maybe others here have first-hand experience.

If not, what advice can you give to somebody going on their very first workshop?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Never trust testimonials on someone's website ..... they created the website they can put whatever they want on it.

trust word of mouth from people you know.

As regards if you should do it or not .... its possible that you might learn something - its possible that you may not....

I think Peter Cox (Cant remember his Boards name) does Photo Courses in Ireland....I cant recommend or tell you to stay away ...but he's a boards member which is always a plus !

I'm pretty sure the institute of photography do similar courses ..... worst case if you goto the weekend in Scotland ... you get a weekend of taking photos in scotland and meet new people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I think the concept of getting away on a dedicated photo weekend is always good, as to whether Bruce Perry offers good tuition etc, I really can't comment. And to be honest I never put much store in testimonials - it's the nature of the beast, who in their right mind would put anything other than a glowing reference on their site.

One suggestion, why not telephone Bruce Perry, his number is on the site, this way not only can you discuss the various courses and how the fit with your level of experience, what you want to learn/brush up on etc., but it will also let you get an idea if he is the type of person you can get on with.

As was mentioned by PC, Peter Cox does course here, I have never attended a course and only know him by reputation, for me the attraction is that you would be visiting Irish locations, which for the most part are what we all shoot. You will be shooting under Irish light/conditions so perhaps that would be beneficial. I'll also hold my hand up and say that I strongly believe in supporting Irish companies, the landscapes we have here are superb, so why not consider keep your business in Ireland?

Here's the web site of Peter Cox: http://www.petercox.ie/

One other thing to consider if comparing various courses/tutors, are the tutors working photographers or are the tutors, to me not necessarily the same thing.

One final thought for you, pop over to www.photowalk.ie and see what walks are coming up, these are not tutorials, they are outings with other photographers, but I reckon everyone who attends a walk stands a very good chance of learning for the other people taking part.

Just my random thoughts, whatever you do enjoy it.

Advertisement