Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle opinions

Options
  • 01-02-2011 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I'm a new member here but have got great tips from here in the past as a guest. I'll soon be getting a new rimfire for long(ish):rolleyes: range bunnies and the odd fox or two and i was looking at the cz 452 lux in .22wmr. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any opinions as to whether or not I'm making the right choice. Also,is it worth going for the 453 with the set trigger? Please give me your opinions lads,I'd like some feedback from someone who knows more about choosing rimfires than I do(probably almost everyone)!!!:) Thanks All....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Longranger wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm a new member here but have got great tips from here in the past as a guest. I'll soon be getting a new rimfire for long(ish):rolleyes: range bunnies and the odd fox or two and i was looking at the cz 452 lux in .22wmr. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any opinions as to whether or not I'm making the right choice. Also,is it worth going for the 453 with the set trigger? Please give me your opinions lads,I'd like some feedback from someone who knows more about choosing rimfires than I do(probably almost everyone)!!!:) Thanks All....

Did you consider a .17HMR?
    I'd personally pic one over a .22mag as a rimfire only option.
    The .22mag is not as flat shooting as a .17hmr, although for foxes I probably would go slightly bigger than a rimfire

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Thanks Tackleberry, I was thinking about the .17hmr but decided to look at the .22wmr on the grounds that I can use subsonic rounds with a surpressor because some of the places I shoot have horses nearby. As for foxes, I wouldn't shoot enough of them to justify buying a centrefire so maybe I'll stick to the good old 12g for them and keep the rifle for small stuff. I wouldn't bother shooting a fox with a hmr unless I could be certain of an outright kill. All I have to do now is make my mind up,do I want a .22 magnum thats nice and quiet(surpressed) or do I go with a bit more noise but deadly accuracy with the hmr?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭MACT1RE

decided to look at the .22wmr on the grounds that I can use subsonic rounds with a surpressor :eek:

There are no subsonic rounds available for the .22wmr. Its whole reason for existing is to give you more speed than a .22lr.

You can still use a mod on it but it won't be as quiet as a .22lr modded with subs. In fact, the .17hmr modded is quieter than the .22wmr modded as the bullet is smaller and produces a quieter crack as it passes through the sound barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

If you can find a 452 and the in the American model thats the one to get, a better stock on the American. The trigger will make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yeah as the lads already pointed out:
    The 452 is a great budget rifle but do not get the lux. It has a stock designed for open sights and is a pain in the arse when there is a scope on it.

I have never heard of subsonic ammo for a .22wmr (could exist but never ever heard of it) so don't base your purchase on the existence of ammo which if it does is exist could be very rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Just bought a CZ 452 American today in .22lr for the brother in law, nice wee gun- but I still prefer the Ruger 77 :)

Thanks lads. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm now looking at the cz453 varmint. Had a few shots with one yesterday and I LOVE it! I'd love the ruger m77 but it's out of my budget range. As for the .22mag subsonic,God knows where I got that out of!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

im thinking of changing to a 22lr over the next few weeks, are the cz 455 available in most shops now, are they as good as the 452, they seem to be getting good reviews

jap gt wrote: »
    im thinking of changing to a 22lr over the next few weeks, are the cz 455 available in most shops now, are they as good as the 452, they seem to be getting good reviews

Don't know about the 455 but the 452 can be had new @ €450 to include scope, mounts, mod, bag and ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭eireshot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

clivej wrote: »
    Don't know about the 455 but the 452 can be had new @ €450 to include scope, mounts, mod, bag and ammo.

Can you post or pm the location & details of the above package deal,

tanx cc30.......

Can you post or pm the location & details of the above package deal,

tanx cc30.......

Paul O'Halahan, in drangan had them in before Xmas at that special price

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Thanks lads. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm now looking at the cz453 varmint. Had a few shots with one yesterday and I LOVE it! I'd love the ruger m77 but it's out of my budget range. As for the .22mag subsonic,God knows where I got that out of!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have a 22 cz453 varmit and im happy with it.
    Didnt really like the set trigger though but it is easy to adjust to single stage if needed.
    I adjusted mine and it now breaks at a crisp 2lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

I have done a bit of looking in the new 455 and they are only starting to be brought into the country . cz say they shoot 20% tighter than there old models and also they are a switch barrel ,They are not threaded in, they are held in with two grub screws something like the ruger 77

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

I used to shoot CZ 452 American Varmint in 17 HMR. Very accurate, very nice action, very nice looking rifle. Well priced as well, so they are.The only reason I traded it is that I got my 223. If I would ever go for rimfire again, it would be 17 hmr and more than likely CZ Varmint .
    By the way I got good few foxes with it, some of them beyond 100 yards, so you can not go wrong with 17 HMR.

Thanks for all the info and tips guys.I got to try out a few rifles recently and the the choice was SO easy! CZ 455 varmint HMR on the way with a really nice bunch of extras for a great price.All I have to do now is sit here and chew my head off waiting for it!!:D Cheers again to all...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

Great choice longranger! You wount regret choosing CZ in HMR.
    Hope you don't have to wait long for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Thanks for all the info and tips guys.I got to try out a few rifles recently and the the choice was SO easy! CZ 455 varmint HMR on the way with a really nice bunch of extras for a great price.All I have to do now is sit here and chew my head off waiting for it!!:D Cheers again to all...

where did you buy, im thinking of getting a 455 aswell in 22lr been hearing good things about them

Sorry jap gt, bit of a misprint. I meant 453. I'm getting it in westport.

Advertisement