Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warning about Meteor and tethering

• 01-02-2011 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭

Guys..just a warning about Meteor and using your meteor phone to tether to another iphone.
    It looks like Meteor cannot differentiate between an iphone downloading 3g and an iphone tethered wirelessly to another iphone and using this for downloading.

A work colleague's meteor iphone needed a lot of app updates and since she only had a 250mb monthly download I offered her the use of mine as I've a 4GB download with 3.
    I used MyWi to allow her phone to connect wirelessly to mine (her cellular data was disabled) and her phone downloaded just over 1020mb from my 3 iphone (over 3g).
    Somehow Meteor thinks that her phone actually did the downloading and charged her over €600 for it...of course I immediately rang them back to complain and explained that my phone had actually done the downloading not hers. I even have my 3 bill to prove it but yer one on the phone denied this was even possible and refused to do anything about it...at least not until I threatened Meteor with Comreg etc, then she escalated it up to their engineers to investigate....

just a warning if you do tether your meteor phone to another phone.
    And of course if anyone heard of any similiar issues I'd appreciate the heads up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Sounds like a phone fault or the tethering settings were incorrect. Meteor can only generate a bill if the data comes down their network. Probably best to see the itemisation on your friends bill first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

BrianD wrote: »
    Sounds like a phone fault or the tethering settings were incorrect. Meteor can only generate a bill if the data comes down their network. Probably best to see the itemisation on your friends bill first.

yeah I've seen it...it's basically an exact match with my bill...her 3g was disabled so it was impossible for her to download it...plus I was monitoring my 3g usage on my phone to ensure I didn't go over my own limit and I was able to see the data amount her phone was downloading..

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    yeah I've seen it...it's basically an exact match with my bill...her 3g was disabled so it was impossible for her to download it...plus I was monitoring my 3g usage on my phone to ensure I didn't go over my own limit and I was able to see the data amount her phone was downloading..

Surely it can only be a setting or phone fault that allowed to draw the data down over their network? After all, Meteor have no way of knowing what data that you have drawn down onto the device through, for example, wi-fi.

Let the engineers investigate.

BrianD wrote: »
    Surely it can only be a setting or phone fault that allowed to draw the data down over their network? After all, Meteor have no way of knowing what data that you have drawn down onto the device through, for example, wi-fi.

Let the engineers investigate.

sure they can :) how else can you use your iphone over wi-fi and not have it affect your data packages..
    even the phone itself only tracks data downloads over 3g (an app like datamon will track both)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

A work colleague's meteor iphone needed a lot of app updates and since she only had a 250mb monthly download I offered her the use of mine as I've a 4GB download with 3.
    it up to their engineers to investigate....

i thought iTunes wont allow any updates/downloads over 20mb over the network?

if i try update/download anything from iTunes over 20mb it tells me to connect to a wifi source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

turning off 3g doesnt disable data, just the 3g radio
    using the appstore we wont mention theres no limit on downloads

sure they can :) how else can you use your iphone over wi-fi and not have it affect your data packages..
    even the phone itself only tracks data downloads over 3g (an app like datamon will track both)

I think you misread my post. That's exactly my point. Obviously either the settings on the device were incorrect or there is a fault of some nature with the phone. Meteor can only bill what came over their network - so the data that was charged for came over their network.

kceire wrote: »
    i thought iTunes wont allow any updates/downloads over 20mb over the network?

if i try update/download anything from iTunes over 20mb it tells me to connect to a wifi source.

that's per app...my3g will get around that if you've jailbroken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Finnymurph

Meteor wifi

My kids went over the monthly limit on the hotspot and instead of a 20 euro bill we got a bill for 400 euro. The amount of usage over the 20gb was very small but they absolutely screwed us. Meteor are robbing bastards.

Blazer wrote: »
    Guys..just a warning about Meteor and using your meteor phone to tether to another iphone.
    It looks like Meteor cannot differentiate between an iphone downloading 3g and an iphone tethered wirelessly to another iphone and using this for downloading.

I used MyWi to allow her phone to connect wirelessly to mine (her cellular data was disabled) and her phone downloaded just over 1020mb from my 3 iphone (over 3g).
    Somehow Meteor thinks that her phone actually did the downloading and charged her over €600 for it...of course I immediately rang them back to complain and explained that my phone had actually done the downloading not hers. I even have my 3 bill to prove it but yer one on the phone denied this was even possible and refused to do anything about it...at least not until I threatened Meteor with Comreg etc, then she escalated it up to their engineers to investigate....

just a warning if you do tether your meteor phone to another phone.
    And of course if anyone heard of any similiar issues I'd appreciate the heads up.

Advertisement