Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could someone help me,please????

Options
  • 01-02-2011 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Does anybody can answer this problem?Please help me. Thank you so much.

A paper factory dumps polluting chemicals into the river. Thousands of citizens live along the river, and they bring suit, claiming damages. You are asked by the judge to testify at the trail as an impartial expert. The court is considering four possible solutions, and you asked to comment on the potential efficiency and equity of each. Your testimony should be brief.
    a. Deny the merits of the case and simply affirm the polluter’s right to dump. The parties will achieve the optimal solution without government.
    b. Find in favor of the plaintiff. The polluters will be held liable for damages and must fully compensate citizens for all past and future damages imposed.
    c. Order and immediate end to the dumping with no damages awarded.
    d. Refer the matter to the Environmental Protection Agency, which will impose a tax on the factory equal to the marginal damage costs. Proceeds will not be paid to the damaged parties.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

A Coasian explanation of some of these issues is described here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

The key issue is the externality, i.e. the pollution which is not factored into the pricing of the good with third parties (citizens living along the river) excluded from the transaction.

The important part of this question is you must discuss both the economic efficiency of a solution but also the equity of the solution to all parties involved. Various solutions may be found with varying trade-offs between equity and economic efficiency. This might help you discuss the merits of the actions above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MissP Dukky

Ahh Thank you all!

Advertisement