Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations for shops that scan old B&W negatives

• 01-02-2011 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Would anyone have any recommendations for shops in Leinster, or even Munster that would scan negatives from the early 20th century (maybe 2 inch x 3inch, varying sizes also) at a reasonable price and does a good job?
    I would be happy with just digital copies, but if you have opinions on someone who does good prints copies, please share also.
    The negatives are in good condition, so I don't think much photoshopping will be needed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

bump!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Give Steve a shout http://www.360-dpi.com/ if he cant do it, he can point you in the right direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

How many negs do you have? How much were you thinking it might cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Effects wrote: »
    How many negs do you have? How much were you thinking it might cost?

about 150 negatives, I've been quoted at least €5 per negative, plus more if photoshop is required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

nuttz wrote: »
    about 150 negatives, I've been quoted at least €5 per negative, plus more if photoshop is required

:eek: I'm in the wrong game ! Honestly you might be as well off buying a moderately priced flatbed with a transparency adapter and getting up to speed on how to do it yourself. If they're all at most 2 / 2.25 inches or so wide then a flatbed with the facility to scan medium format / 120 will do the job. There aren't as many technical pitfalls involved in scanning B&W (which I presume they all are if they're from the early 20th century) as there would be in doing colour. Do a search here for 'film scanning' or something similar for recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

150 negs would take a good while to scan

depends what ya wanna do with the scan as to whats best

also theres a lot of work in cleaning and preparing them for scanning

5 euros isnt much if you look at more serious scanning houses, metro in london would charge more like 40 or 50 for a very high quality scan

few options are

1. get a lightbox and choose just the ones you really want - ie keep cost down, do you really want all 150 of them??

2. buy a scanner

3. have a look at somewhere like rua red - you can rent the room with a good scanner in it

Advertisement