Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Routing calls to mobiles via Voipgain.

• 01-02-2011 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭

I have broadband from UPC and phone from Blueface using a Linksys SPA 3102 ATA and a regular DECT phone. I ported my geographical number to them. I pay €9.99 p/m, which includes 300 mins. to various landlines. I also do Pay As You Go for calls to Irish mobiles.

Blueface charge up to 23c/m for calls to mobiles. Voipgain charge 5c + VAT. If I stop the monthly payment to Blueface I will loose the geographical number, which is not acceptable to me. I don’t see any reference to porting on the Voipgain site so I guess they will not support a geographical number.

So. I want to continue the €9.99 p/m to Blueface to keep the geographical number, and I want to get value for the €9.99 by using use the 300 mins. to landlines.

But I want to route calls to mobiles via Voipgain. The Voipgain site has instructions on how to configure the Linksys, but I presume that will route all outgoing calls to them. How do I route only calls to mobiles via Voipgain? Do I need a Dialplan? I am not familiar with how to do this and I am afraid that I could ‘mess-up’ the Linksys and loose the phone completely. I want use the DECT, not my PC when calling.

Hope someone can advise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I havedone what you want to do. I ported my number to upc, on €6per month. All outgoing calls go via the linksys. Its very easy to setup a dial plan, I can copy you mine when you get the linksys.
    I am also with voipgain, just to note they charge a setup fee with each mobile call, so the first minute works out at 8c and 5c thereafter. Still much cheaper than upc or blueface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Benolam

Thanks for the reply.

I see that if I use Voipgain.com I will have to prefix the local numbers with +353 . For me this is a showstopper. I see it is the same for Rynga.com. I guess all international VSPs are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

You can dial your numbers as normal, your dial plan will substitute the correct prefix ie +3531 for Dublin when you dial any number beginning with 2-8, it's quite simple. I installed it St home and work and never told any of them, they just use it as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dolandy

353 shouldnt be an issue. It does it automatically.

One thing I would say, be careful with which betamax you pick. When you do pick one put €10 on it and try it out. Dont throw anymore. Trial it!

Reason being. Im guess you looked up a betamax comparison sheet (like I did). Voipgain comes in cheapest.

Now go back to voipgain rates page;

http://www.voipgain.com/en/calling-rates.html

Down the bottom notice this little piece of text

"* VoipGain reserves the right after a certain amount of calls to start charging the default rate. FREE CALLS are available for users with Freedays. All Non-Free VoipGain calls are subject to a 0.039 EURO connection fee. "

i.e. If your calls are 1 min long you pay approx 9c/min not the 5c.

It worked out dearer for me than smartvoip which is currently at 7.5c incl VAT.

On that note if you want some free voipgain credit pm me and youre welcome to my account details because i left them with 9 eur credit.

When smartvoip runs out im going to try intervoip (i think it is!). Call quality for me on smartvoip to mobiles has been excellent I have to say!!

I wish they did per second billing though. Really annoying that if you allow more than 2 seconds of a voicemail of a person you are ringing you get charged for the minute; which are the majority of mobile calls; never get answered but I get charged. (Me=business=lots of mobile calls so it sure builds up)

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dolandy

One thing I forgot. Smartvoip, voipgain, powervoip etc. i.e. Betamax companies dont send out a caller ID by default. (comes up as private no.) However you can send out a caller ID via account settings. Let me know if this is an issue for you and I'll post the fix. Dont remember it off hand

Ian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Benolam

I got Viopgain setup on my laptop and bought €10 credit. With VAT & handling change it cost me €12.19. This is a 21.9% hike. My first call to a mobile was for 61 secs. It cost 17c.

Calls to Irish mobiles are 5c/m, plus a setup charge of 3.9c (rounded to 4c) per call.

Charge appears to be per minute, so this what it really costs.

Up to 1 min, 10.85 c/m
    Up to 2 mins, 8.47 c/m
    Up to 4 mins, 7.28 c/m
    Up to 5 mins, 7.05 c/m

From the laptop local calls need the 01 prefix. Mobiles can be called using 08x. No ‘+353’ required. Outgoing caller ID is OK.

I want to set it up on the Linksys 3102 next. This is the dialplan with Blueface.

(*xx|[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

Can anyone explain what it means. I guess I will have to change it to move to Viopgain.

Pateman you kindly offered to send me your callplan.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭maurice1

I use the Blueface €200 calls for life plan which comes with a gigaset A580IP and works great with UPC broadband and means I was able to transfer my 01dublin number to them and no more land line rental. Been using it for a year and works perfectly.
    Going back to the point of caller ID on Betamax / voipgain on an A580IP which allows for 6 voip connections and allows dialling rules eg dublin number goes through blueface and mobiles go through voipgain automatically.
    I played around with it to get it to work. I sussed out that it was my settings on my A580.
    Authentication Name: maurice
    Authentication password: xxxxxx
    Username: 0035387xxxxx
    Display name: maurice

If username and display name are the wrong way around voipgain will register but no CallerID

Hope this helps someone
    Maurice

PS I tried Rynga and the latency was too long so it sounded like a call to Australlia. Try pinging your provider to see how long a packet takes to bounce back to decide which provider works with your broadband

Advertisement