Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

derfderf wrote: »
    Started with a new character after downloading the DLC, I've gotten really shit at it by the looks of it.
    Do many people still play online?

Yeah the game is very active at the moment, however the majority of the action is in the DLC areas as expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Just before the entrance to the Capra Demon someone has left a sign saying fire, in front of an unlit torch on the wall. Is it possible to light some of these and how do you do it? I've tried throwing firebombs at it but that doesn't seem to work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just got the DLC up and running. It's quite impressive even if Manus is a pain in the arse. Some of the visual aspects like bonfire flames and pyromancy don't seem to appear on the screen even though they're there.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Is it possible to miss all of the DLC? I've just got the pendant and although it mentions Oolacile it hardly makes it obvious what to do. I've already rescued Dusk but for anyone who didn't it would be an even bigger conundrum no?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,390 ✭✭✭✭noodler

weiland79 wrote: »
    Just before the entrance to the Capra Demon someone has left a sign saying fire, in front of an unlit torch on the wall. Is it possible to light some of these and how do you do it? I've tried throwing firebombs at it but that doesn't seem to work.

When they say fire, I think they mean use firebombs on Capra Demon. Thats all.
    Just got the DLC up and running. It's quite impressive even if Manus is a pain in the arse. Some of the visual aspects like bonfire flames and pyromancy don't seem to appear on the screen even though they're there.

I am the same. Last night I finally reached the new DLC areas (starting a new game with a faith build may have been a mistake).

The visuals seem svery glitchy I am afraid.

I beat Santuary Guardian this afternoon. Was about my 20th go. I am only SL 58 and nearly all my levels went into faith so I had to use Great Lightning Spear and it was tricky to pick your shots due to the animation load. Satisfying fight though. (Swore I wouldn't use Eagle Shield in this run but I had no choice for this battle as I needed something that was reasonable against lightning).

I reached Astoria this afternoon as well. Dead in two shots, my shield didn't seem to work at all if anyone can shed any light. I have managed to find the shortcut from Oolacile Sanutary back to Astorias so the reloads won't be so bad.

After Astorias owned me I went the other way and found the Dragon whose AOE attack killed me in one. Not too sure what I could have done to prevent that either!
    penev10 wrote: »
    Is it possible to miss all of the DLC? I've just got the pendant and although it mentions Oolacile it hardly makes it obvious what to do. I've already rescued Dusk but for anyone who didn't it would be an even bigger conundrum no?

Very obscure. Deliberately so, I would say. Although one review did point out that you kind of need Warp active so Beating Smough and Ornstein was necessary in that respect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Never got the Eagle Shield but from the looks of things it seems to be an excellent choice. I found Artorias a lot easier when I upgraded my Silver Knight shield to a guard reduction of 76. I can't dodge worth a damn since it's been 6 months. Artorias's attacks are blockable for the most part. It's really important to keep your stamina high and hit him when he tries to power up as his attacks are much more deadly when he has his aura around him.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Never got the Eagle Shield but from the looks of things it seems to be an excellent choice. I found Artorias a lot easier when I upgraded my Silver Knight shield to a guard reduction of 76. I can't dodge worth a damn since it's been 6 months. Artorias's attacks are blockable for the most part. It's really important to keep your stamina high and hit him when he tries to power up as his attacks are much more deadly when he has his aura around him.

Hmmm. I was using Eagle Shield +5 so I didn't thnik Guard Reduction would be an issue. Anyway, I should face him a few more times before resorting to help!

Forgot about that when I clicked "Submit Reply". Is it for all his attacks that your shield seems useless? You do need to be careful when he starts rolling towards you unless you have godly stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Weird people are having glitchy graphics. I don't remember any problems at all except the usual drops in frame rates when theres a lot of enemys on screen. Bonfires or magic/pyro never glitched out. (ps3 retail disc) If your on 360 try clearing the cache, worked for me with glitchy graphics in Fallout. But definitely wasn't glitching for me :confused:

Astoria was a tough fight. I put my summon sign down a lot to learn his attacks. (I never beat him or the dragon solo... must try that) :o
    At soul level (50-60) you wont have enough stamina to block everything unless you focused on that stat or have a greatshield, but you can learn his attacks and avoid most - block some. The area after that boss battle is up there with painted world for pure awesomeness, its class and full of wtf moments.

Might contain no spoilers but:
    That whole royal woods area is Darkroot garden in the past right? I mean the geography is exactly the same. Where you meet the dragon is the waterfall/hydra area. The towers with the shortcut plates are where you meet Alvina the cat and the Town itself is before it fell to the huge abyss chasm (Darkrootbasin?) in the main game.
    I spent some time trying to match up points but only from within the dlc areas, never thought of trying to spot parts of Oolacile in the main game. just assumed Oolacile was some far away place not actually underfoot the whole time. The way the whole world ties together is fantastic imo.:D
    Man I love this game but I would love for FromSoftware to release an official Dark Souls lore (and art) book. That would be awesome. :pac: end of rant

Danonino. wrote: »
    Man I love this game but I would love for FromSoftware to release an official Dark Souls lore (and art) book. That would be awesome.
    I saw one when I was in Japan earlier in the year. Didn't get it as most of the concept art is on the official guide and it was obviously in Japanese. Maybe theres a scanlation somewhere?

This one is just an art book, I thought the one I saw had a load of text in it too.

• Advertisement

I saw one when I was in Japan earlier in the year. Didn't get it as most of the concept art is on the official guide and it was obviously in Japanese. Maybe theres a scanlation somewhere?

This one is just an art book, I thought the one I saw had a load of text in it too.

:) Yeah I seen that, I'm tempted just because it looks so nice but like you said i have 90% art in the LE book. I seen a youtube vid showing the content and there is a question and answer session with From at the back but its annoying things like:
    "Why did Logan get naked when he went crazy?"
    and "Why are Gwynevere Boobs so big?"
    Funny thing is the answers are actually interesting O_o which makes me wonder how awesome a lore book would be :pac:

From might not have a solid set in stone story though, Listening to the reasons for Priscillas design and how important Andre was in pre production makes it sound like the game became its own beast as it was designed and enemys became friends etc.

EDIT: found the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXB_2QXhAwQ&feature=plcp

That whole royal woods area is Darkroot garden in the past right? I mean the geography is exactly the same. Where you meet the dragon is the waterfall/hydra area. The towers with the shortcut plates are where you meet Alvina the cat and the Town itself is before it fell to the huge abyss chasm (Darkrootbasin?) in the main game.
    I spent some time trying to match up points but only from within the dlc areas, never thought of trying to spot parts of Oolacile in the main game. just assumed Oolacile was some far away place not actually underfoot the whole time. The way the whole world ties together is fantastic imo.:D
    The entire DLC takes place in the past. It's based on the time when Oolacile got dragged into the Abyss because of Manus and what happened to Artorias when he went in to try and save it!

Regarding the areas, that is indeed Darkroot and as it turns out, you kill Artorias in the past hence fighting Sif at Artorias's grave in the normal timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Had a very unexpected windfall last night. Was lvl 22 doing the forest cov for the fog ring, got hammered most of the time as I was bumping into lvl 100's, anyways one dude kept making sh1t of me, so I get summoned to his world again and I spot a blue and he's pointing down, he somehow fell on a ledge the blue jumped down, killed him and I don't know how but I got 600k souls. Ascended the Pyro glove, bought every weapon and titanite that I could at the time, 99 in all consumables and I still had 100k left.

Okay, just arrived at the sanctuary garden again (second DLC playthrough) and I see what ye mean about the graphics being glitchy. It is very bad. I definitely had no graphical mess ups the first time through because I would have noticed this without doubt.

Sanctus shield aura effect flicking on and off, My lightning spear disappearing randomly, bonfire going mental and the Bosses attacks glitching like crazy, very strange. Wonder why its happening now, was there an update or is it more people playing on the servers or something. Very had to dodge lightning that you cant see and I can see why it annoyed ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the signs seem to be disappearing and reappearing , and another few glitches that were not there before. hope they can sort it, but it's not too bad at the same time.

on another note link

kotaku saying zombiU like a first person demons souls ??

Very had to dodge lightning that you cant see and I can see why it annoyed ye.

100%.

As I was a relatively low level faith build I was relying on firing electricity as well. Sometimes it was like he was throwing nothing.

I dunno if this is server related - would have to try an offline game first.

I noticed they've nerfed the Dark Wood Grain ring (25% of equip burden instead of 50%) so went with the Gold Hemmed set which made things easier.

I noticed they've nerfed the Dark Wood Grain ring (25% of equip burden instead of 50%) so went with the Gold Hemmed set which made things easier.

They had to in fairness. It was like a much better version of havels ring with the ninja flip included. It was a necessity rather than an option if you wanted to pvp at any level.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

good thing putting it to 25% , as now if you want to cart wheel with decent armor, you really have to use havels ring. that means taking off the ring of favour and protection. not too many will do this !!

Big Knox wrote: »
    They had to in fairness. It was like a much better version of havels ring with the ninja flip included. It was a necessity rather than an option if you wanted to pvp at any level.

I know and it looked daft cartwheeling in Black Knight armor but I miss my cartwheels!!!

• Advertisement

The aul Homing Soulmass is seriously nerfed. Real blow to Magic characters. Also has targeting range been fiddled with? I can't lock on to some enemies until they're right in my face!

The aul Homing Soulmass is seriously nerfed. Real blow to Magic characters. Also has targeting range been fiddled with? I can't lock on to some enemies until they're right in my face!

I'm sure they'll survive with Dark Bead and Pursuers!!!! :mad:

However, I've incorporated GMB in to my new build and it works a treat!

I'm sure they'll survive with Dark Bead and Pursuers!!!! :mad:

However, I've incorporated GMB in to my new build and it works a treat!
    I'm gathering they're new spells. Haven't read any spoilers for the DLC so am excited now. Just had my first venture into the new areas and it feels good not to know every square meter like the back of your hand!

Got to Oolacile township last night again on NG+++. Decided to stop progress to PvP and host a bit.

Anyway I see a dragonstone on the ground and decide to summon it. In comes some guy with a demon great machete and buffs it. So I buff up my Great Scythe and we do the usual dance, strafing each other, both of us looking for openings. Anyway I see an opportunity and land a nice R2 which one shots him.

When he dies I get 50k souls which I thought was alot for someone with such little HP. Anyway almost instantly his dragonstone appears again so I summon him. Same process, we greet, buff and go at it with me one shotting him again.

Stone shows again so I repeat the process almost five times. At this stage he has given me 250k worth of souls and 5 dragon scales. I kind of feel bad for him and think he must be trying to farm dragon scales so I summon him and remove my armour to give him a free kill and he just dances around me doing the "what is it" emote. So after 2 or 3 minutes of this I one shot him again! :p

Was a very weird experience. I'd love to know what he was doing! Is there no restriction on dragon summons? Is it possible he was a very low SL?

Afterwards I was farming souvenirs of reprisal in the tomb of the giants. Was easy kills for the most part until I envaded some guys world who clearly had no light source. He was crawling along the upper levels near the coffins, so instead of killing him I used my Sunlight maggot and skull lantern to guide him through and he actually got all the way to Nito before I let him kill me. He sent me a message afterwards saying thanks.

I love this game!! :D

My problem is that for every successful summon, invasion etc (and I don't mean success as in winning - just in terms of it happening). There is a hell of alot of waiting about.

I think I am going to go to leave the DLC and go harvest some humanity in Tomb of the Giants.

I hate being in new areas and not being able to be in human form all the time.

Got to Oolacile township last night again on NG+++. Decided to stop progress to PvP and host a bit.

Anyway I see a dragonstone on the ground and decide to summon it. In comes some guy with a demon great machete and buffs it. So I buff up my Great Scythe and we do the usual dance, strafing each other, both of us looking for openings. Anyway I see an opportunity and land a nice R2 which one shots him.

When he dies I get 50k souls which I thought was alot for someone with such little HP. Anyway almost instantly his dragonstone appears again so I summon him. Same process, we greet, buff and go at it with me one shotting him again.

Stone shows again so I repeat the process almost five times. At this stage he has given me 250k worth of souls and 5 dragon scales. I kind of feel bad for him and think he must be trying to farm dragon scales so I summon him and remove my armour to give him a free kill and he just dances around me doing the "what is it" emote. So after 2 or 3 minutes of this I one shot him again! :p

Was a very weird experience. I'd love to know what he was doing! Is there no restriction on dragon summons? Is it possible he was a very low SL?

did he cast anything?, seen some ridiculous damage with power within, buffed weapon, dragon roar and red tearstone ring, only problem is not getting hit.

BTW a tip for power within, most probably already know, cast it with a base level pyro glove, the drain is less and the damage output is the same. The 2nd dragon ring from the magic vendor also extends the power within time and further slows the drain.

BTW the dude was probably around lvl 120 with the 50K souls return. I think it works out if you invade and kill you get 10% of what it costs for guys next level up and 50% if you kill an invader in your world.

did he cast anything?, seen some ridiculous damage with power within, buffed weapon, dragon roar and red tearstone ring, only problem is not getting hit.

BTW a tip for power within, most probably already know, cast it with a base level pyro glove, the drain is less and the damage output is the same. The 2nd dragon ring from the magic vendor also extends the power within time and further slows the drain.

He didn't seem to be using power within or red tearstone as he was on full hp until I landed something. His health would show being low when he was summoned if he was in hyper mode right?

Having said that he never managed to hit me as I ranged him with the Scythe each time so I'm not sure how much damage he was putting out.

Didn't they patch the base level pyroflame power within? I never use it so I haven't tried it.

Not on the Pc anyways, started using it religiously since the last playhrough. Comes in very handy when farming the clams in the crystal cave for twinkling titanite. works with the magic\miracle boost rings as well, lost 2K hp to pursuers over it once in a pvp.

Did you guys all do the DLC with your maint character? Mine is SL 147 or something so I used a new character for fear that the DLC would be a cakewak otherwise.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Did you guys all do the DLC with your maint character? Mine is SL 147 or something so I used a new character for fear that the DLC would be a cakewak otherwise.

I just started the DLC with a SL50 character. Managed to beat the first boss on my 4th try without taking a hit. Judging by some of the lesser enemies I might be slightly overpowered but I suppose it depends on how much of a challenge you're after.

Advertisement