Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

All the speedruns I've seen certainly give that impression. Is it the same with Dark Souls? All the same, a different approach is nice as it forces you to play the game differently.

No they've balanced Magic a lot more in Dark Souls. Removing the mana potions (can't remember what they're called) and nerfing the broken spells (Warding becomes Iron Flesh for example) were the obvious fixes but the bosses are also less susceptible to cheap spamming of spells (especially now the Homing Soulmasses have been nerfed).

Both games play completely differently with a melee or a magic character but Dark Souls more so (especially when it comes to the bosses which require a whole new approach)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Big Knox wrote: »
    Yeah there's a certain section of the pvp community which is just hilarious alright. It's really just the try hards who can't take being beaten!

Just the other night I was invading in Oolacile Township and a guy in full Giants with a grant was standing behind the spawn. He cast tranquil walk as soon as I spawned and proceeded to try stun lock me but I managed to land a WotG and stagger him and chain him so he backed off. He came back in and I tanked a hit or two just as tranquil wore off and I managed to get out with very little health so I used great heal to heal up and proceeded to make a joke of him. The best part? He actually sent me a message calling me a "no-skill scrub" for healing up! :P

Yeah if someone tries to ambush me at the start, thats it rules go out the window. Summoned a redstone last night and he backstabbed while i bowed(for a duel thats a low), he dropped his sign again i summoned him, waited behind the sign, backstab wotg, wotg end of fight.

Actually speaking of wotg, invaded a game last night at the township, the victim was trying to draw me down to where the first bloathead guy tries to ambush you. he ran into the alcove, i cast wotg 3 times and found out there was 2 summon's hiding there to ambush obviously. It killed both and the host had sfa health left so finished him off.

Rosie at it again. 2nd one is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You are finished in Darkroot for the most part if you killed both the Moonlight butterfly and Sif. You can join the pvp covenant there if you fancy and you will need to take a trip to the lower areas with the Hydra for the DLC but that's about it!

There's a blacksmith in Anor Londo, he's near the entrance to the Boss area. Also let us know how you get on with the Boss!! :-+pac:

Yeah there's a certain section of the pvp community which is just hilarious alright. It's really just the try hards who can't take being beaten!

Just the other night I was invading in Oolacile Township and a guy in full Giants with a grant was standing behind the spawn. He cast tranquil walk as soon as I spawned and proceeded to try stun lock me but I managed to land a WotG and stagger him and chain him so he backed off. He came back in and I tanked a hit or two just as tranquil wore off and I managed to get out with very little health so I used great heal to heal up and proceeded to make a joke of him. The best part? He actually sent me a message calling me a "no-skill scrub" for healing up! :P

That was by far the worst I've come across but I've had my fair share of idiots!

aye, cheers. will see that area.

what about all the other areas? i still havent explored valley of drakes or that underground ghost place. then there was something after the spider boss too? where should i better continue? or just continue with anor londo?

aye, cheers. will see that area.

what about all the other areas? i still havent explored valley of drakes or that underground ghost place. then there was something after the spider boss too? where should i better continue? or just continue with anor londo?

Spider boss go beyond there, you'll be blocked after a while but not until after you bump into a few old friends, there's no real point doing the ghosty place until anor londo is done. Valley of the drakes; meh!! if the dragon shield and kamehamaha wave blade weren't there i wouldn't be bothered with it. You could try the great hollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

That was by far the worst I've come across but I've had my fair share of idiots!

In Anor Londo I invaded another player as part of the Darkmoon Covenant and myself and another invader got him into a corner and wailed on him. When he died he then sent a PM calling me a "Cheap Kike":pac:

Another night in the Oolacile Township I was in the middle of sending a PM to a guy I just summoned. As I finished sending my PM and went back to my game there was a gravelord invader standing right behind me using the wave gesture. As I finally came to my senses I started chasing after him and ended up getting nailed by one of his phantom casters. What a sneaky little ****e:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,389 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Rosie at it again. 2nd one is amazing.

The fact the NPCs she was allying with were red means she had been gravelorded then?

Jesus what an amazingly elaborate web of circumstances to setup just for a video - rather her than me!

Find it hard to believe the Dark Magic spammer in the first video was SL 100! Also, nobody used the Pendant? Is there actually any benefit to using two Catlysts? I mean you can only use one at a time.

noodler wrote: »
    The fact the NPCs she was allying with were red means she had been gravelorded then?

Jesus what an amazingly elaborate web of circumstances to setup just for a video - rather her than me!

Find it hard to believe the Dark Magic spammer in the first video was SL 100! Also, nobody used the Pendant? Is there actually any benefit to using two Catlysts? I mean you can only use one at a time.

She said a mate gravelorded for her.

Up close dark bead is lethal, close enough and all five will strike for uber damage, on the 2 catalysts I wonder do they stack?, um stupid question actually. Pendant is useless in pvp, its like riposte you pretty much have to guess when to use it, besides she was way up close. I think the dark magic is due a nerf, an increase in beads cast time would work wonders.

guys, where do i go in the londo place? i am at middle bonefire. i went straight went down and killed gargoyle, but it is dead end. if i go left from bonefire there is some door but when i examine it it says " closed by lords power" or something ( its actually like golden myst/door thingy )

guys, where do i go in the londo place? i am at middle bonefire. i went straight went down and killed gargoyle, but it is dead end. if i go left from bonefire there is some door but when i examine it it says " closed by lords power" or something ( its actually like golden myst/door thingy )
    Had me stumped on my fist play-through too.

Theres a walkway coming out of the building on the left, the first one after you come out of the lift. You can drop down and walk across to the window in the building.

penev10 wrote: »
    Had me stumped on my fist play-through too.

Theres a walkway coming out of the building on the left, the first one after you come out of the lift. You can drop down and walk across to the window in the building.

Cheers. I looked on YouTube and I was like WTF? How the hell we should know that!

Anyway, I went down and got some dark iron armour. Will have a look at it. Then there is a huge painting. Will have to get back to it and have a look.

• Advertisement

When you get to the bottom of the stairs to the area where you fought the Gargoyle, instead of going straight on towards the dead end go left and drop down. You'll see a thin ramp that you can drop onto and run up. Before you do that though run through the little arch and explore the platform until you find a chest containing Demon Titanite.

Once you get to the end of the ramp drop to your right and go left through the broken glass into a large area where you have to walk across thin ceiling beams whilst trying to deal with Painting phantoms who throw knives at you. Once you get to the other side and out you can turn the wheel mechanism at the spiral staircase to the right to move the stairs upwards and join with the platform with the dead end (where you fought the gargoyles). If you twist the wheel left instead you'll move the stairs downwards which leads to the floor of the area with the ceiling beams. Come back later with the Peculiar Doll (found when you return to the Northern Undead Asylum) and examine the painting there to see what happens. If you move the staircase further down you'll get to the Darkmoon tomb containing a bonfire. Approach the statue with the Darkmoon seance ring to see what happens.

Hope that helps:)

cheers lads. ill call it a night. got my str to 40 so i can use mechete, but with whole dark iron armor i get too slow :(

and yeah, dark iron set is just freaking awesome. makes any other set i own useless.

cheers lads. ill call it a night. got my str to 40 so i can use mechete, but with whole dark iron armor i get too slow :(

and yeah, dark iron set is just freaking awesome. makes any other set i own useless.

The Black Iron set is good stuff alright. I have all mine at +5.

Finally managed to take down Manus this eve with a little help from Sif. I'm quite scared of having to take on Kalameet next. I'd say he'll be a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Finally started the new content. Red ringed :(

derfderf wrote: »
    Finally started the new content. Red ringed :(

Oh man I feel for you, that happened me twice. It's quite disheartening, especially after buying a new game:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Oh man I feel for you, that happened me twice. It's quite disheartening, especially after buying a new game:(

I'm reduced to watching videos on youtube of it now:o. I have a gaming PC and all but it seems pointless playing anything else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Black Iron set is good stuff alright. I have all mine at +5.

Finally managed to take down Manus this eve with a little help from Sif. I'm quite scared of having to take on Kalameet next. I'd say he'll be a tough one.

Kalameet's not as bad as Manus. He's still a pain though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

It's his bloody tail cut that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i think the lifehunt scythe is fairly good at getting his tail, 1 or 2 two handed belts have gotten it off for me I think. Maybe takes a bit more, but it seems to get it off quicker than other weapons i have tried

• Registered Users Posts: 26,389 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd love a Ganghamn Style gesture to be downloadable for this game.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    I'd love a Ganghamn Style gesture to be downloadable for this game.

Oh God no!:eek: I wouldn't mind if there was a "middle finger" gesture that I could learn:p

Managed to beat Kalameet last night. Tried ranged attack first with the Heavy Crossbow+15 but I might as well have been using a pea shooter for all the damage I was doing to him and he kept battering me.

After losing about 5 times in a row I went and grabbed the Greatshield of Artorias. I then switched to Black Knight Halberd+5 and went melee instead which worked a lot better. Got killed a couple of times when I lost concentration and he one-shotted me with his charge attack. Got a bit wiser after that and only attacked when he was in recovery mode or when he was in the middle of fire-breathing. Didn't get his tail though unfortunately, I just went straight for the kill. I eventually took him down, which I must say was a very satisfying experience:)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

So I've finally hit the wall at NG+ 3, and Gwyn is just slaughtering me. I f'ed up the Solaire summon in Lost Izalith too, so I'm rightly screwed by the looks of it.
    I'm SL159 (40 VIT / 40 END / 40 DEX/ 35 INT) using Balder Side Sword +12 wearing the best poise gear to avoid getting smack downed the second I enter the fog.

The best I've managed is getting him to half health wearing Havel's Gear and Iron Flesh, but I still can't do much. All my pyromancies and sorceries do naff all against him at the NG+ 3 as well. Summoning someone else is pretty hard as well as I can't seem to find many people near my level on PC.

I've seen the parry "glitch" going around so I've still to try it, personally I think maybe stacking Dusk's crown and going on a detour to get the Manus Catalyst might be worth it. That way I could cast homing crystal while just kiting him around the pillars.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

easier getting logans catalyst , by freeing him in the archieves and buying all the spells off him. then return to where you first met seath, and you will meet logan again !

stack with the bellowing dragoncrest ring that can be bought from greggs and you will have decent magic damage. you might need to put a few points into intelligence . if you have gotten the crystal soul spear in another play through all the better. having 4 uses of this with logans catalyst/ crown of dusk/bellowing dragoncrest ring should do over a thousand a hit

Alactric wrote: »

I've seen the parry "glitch" going around so I've still to try it, personally I think maybe stacking Dusk's crown and going on a detour to get the Manus Catalyst might be worth it. That way I could cast homing crystal while just kiting him around the pillars.

Any ideas?

The Homing spells normally wipe the floor with Gwyn if you have them powered up with Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, Dusk Crown and a top catalyst. Haven't played him on Ng+++ though! The Crystal catalyst is better than Manus' btw.

The Homing spells normally wipe the floor with Gwyn if you have them powered up with Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, Dusk Crown and a top catalyst. Haven't played him on Ng+++ though! The Crystal catalyst is better than Manus' btw.

That's specifically my problem though, None of the strategies I've seen seem to go beyond NG+ 1 he really spikes at 3 though.

Alactric wrote: »
    So I've finally hit the wall at NG+ 3, and Gwyn is just slaughtering me. I f'ed up the Solaire summon in Lost Izalith too, so I'm rightly screwed by the looks of it.
    I'm SL159 (40 VIT / 40 END / 40 DEX/ 35 INT) using Balder Side Sword +12 wearing the best poise gear to avoid getting smack downed the second I enter the fog.

Ok how the hell do you only have a +12 in NG+++.

Parry the sh1t out of him basically, get a good weapon with critical damage, equip the hornet for extra damge and parry parry, if you want another boost use a base level pyro glove and power within. The only reason you'll need poise is to drink estus without his attacks interupting. He's too agressive to be able to caste magic without him interupting you. Hre's pretty essy to parry the only thing to look out for is his grab, roll away for it.

Ok how the hell do you only have a +12 in NG+++.

Parry the sh1t out of him basically, get a good weapon with critical damage, equip the hornet for extra damge and parry parry, if you want another boost use a base level pyro glove and power within. The only reason you'll need poise is to drink estus without his attacks interupting. He's too agressive to be able to caste magic without him interupting you. Hre's pretty essy to parry the only thing to look out for is his grab, roll away for it.

It's a typo, it's +15. And I just beat him with pyro+ dusk crown + Bellow ring + Havels gear. Did about 3500 burst damage and healed on the staggers.

Ah ok thats makes sense then. What pyro did you use, combustion, chaos storm, chaos ball?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If they've nerfed magic, is a magic build still viable? Was playing Demon's Souls again and I wiped off 95% of the leechmonger's health with one cast of Firestorm.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

I knocked 8,900(instakill, talisman of beast, ring of magical nature, old monks hat) off the blind dude in 4-2 with firestorm in ng++. that spell was bloody lethal.

Advertisement