Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So it's a proper sequel and not just a spiritual successor then? I'll have to book time off work for release day.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dark Souls II, the surprise sequel announced at Friday's Spike TV Video Game Awards, is going to be tough, its creators promised in a press release. That's to be expected.

But here's a surprise: the series' creator, From Software's Hidetaka Miyazaki, will serve only as a supervisor on the sequel, while the game will actually be directed by From's Tomohiro Shibuya. His comments about the game don't shed a whole lot of light on the sequel, other than to indicate that the new title will be faithful to the older ones but also introduce new things (as expected, of course): "This new chapter in the Dark Souls saga presents opportunities for us to drive innovation in gameplay design, develop an entirely new story, and expand the scope of the world in which the player interacts with the game. We have taken these necessary steps with Dark Souls II in order to evolve the overall experience of the Dark Souls series...the entire development team is striving to make Dark Souls II an experience that is fresh while not forsaking its roots in presenting players with challenging gameplay. Our goal is to surprise and delight our fans with new experiences and plot twists while enticing new players to join our dark journey."

According to the game's publisher, the new game "will feature a new hero, a new storyline, and an unfamiliar world for players to survive in while delivering its signature brand of unrelenting punishment that players hunger for."

It seems that multiplayer is going to be tweaked as well. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls had an unusual multiplayer system that allowed users to do everything from leaving quest hints for each other to invading each other's games. So what to make of this bit from the press release about Dark Souls II ? "Players seeking to share their experience will discover a revamped server-based multiplayer mode that will put a distinct Dark Souls II twist on the concept of playing with others."

The game's publisher, Namco, is promising a game full of "unrelenting challenge."

Dark Souls II is slated for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. No timeframe given, though anything sooner than late 2013 would be a shock. No mention of Wii U or next-gen platforms. Hmmm.

Watch the trailer for the new game here.

Can't bloody wait.

Christ, DS realy is a contender for my favoruite game of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

well at least the creator is still involved. the multiplayer aspect is fine the way it is. i hope what changes they make to it are not too drastic. leave it as mainly a single player experience, where when you need to summon, it's possible.

glad they are making it for this generation of consoles too. not taking too much of a risk on a next gen console. plenty left on the PS3 to make to make another massive stunning game !

I want the multi improved.

I don't know how they can do it exactly but the amount of time it can take to get invaded etc can be too long at times (amount of invasion failures as well).

I sometimes wonder would things work better if I had a wired connection though.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    I want the multi improved.

I don't know how they can do it exactly but the amount of time it can take to get invaded etc can be too long at times (amount of invasion failures as well).

I sometimes wonder would things work better if I had a wired connection though.

i thought that may have to do with the amount of people online within my soul range. with the gaining popularity of the series , hopefully this will only get better. it can be frustrating waiting to invade/get summoned sometimes though

2smiggy wrote: »
    i thought that may have to do with the amount of people online within my soul range. with the gaining popularity of the series , hopefully this will only get better. it can be frustrating waiting to invade/get summoned sometimes though

Well, I am devestated to have done the Undead Burg Battle Arena trick and ende dup wasting all three of my eyes of death for just one invasion!

Admittedly there's less likely to be that many people starting from scratch right now. PC is probably a good place to be for early level PVP right now.

EDIT: Also, so many times when I invade, I actually get to the other person's world and the second I arrive I all too often get a "session lost" message. In this situation you have already wasted a valuable crack red eye orb or eye of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Still very uncertain with this new "casual" talk but yeah one thing is certain, From need an entire new team of Network engineers as their netcode has been pretty poor since Demon's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

noodler wrote: »
    Well, I am devestated to have done the Undead Burg Battle Arena trick and ende dup wasting all three of my eyes of death for just one invasion!

Admittedly there's less likely to be that many people starting from scratch right now. PC is probably a good place to be for early level PVP right now.

EDIT: Also, so many times when I invade, I actually get to the other person's world and the second I arrive I all too often get a "session lost" message. In this situation you have already wasted a valuable crack red eye orb or eye of death.

When I was doing the early Gravelord invasions I got to the Undeadburg/Church main gate behind the iron boar by going through darkroot to grab the basement(?) key, killed the Capra demon, gained as much humanity as I could and farmed the frogs in the depths. Was a lot of effort though, also found out about the shortcut from undeadburg way too late :( The capra demon was hard as feck as something like a level 7. Still had the fog for the Taurus demon, the bell gargoyles and still under lv 10 so it was working great.

Must load up that save actually, pretty sure I had 20+ eyes of death :pac:

Danonino. wrote: »
    When I was doing the early Gravelord invasions I got to the Undeadburg/Church main gate behind the iron boar by going through darkroot to grab the basement(?) key, killed the Capra demon, gained as much humanity as I could and farmed the frogs in the depths. Was a lot of effort though, also found out about the shortcut from undeadburg way too late :( The capra demon was hard as feck as something like a level 7. Still had the fog for the Taurus demon, the bell gargoyles and still under lv 10 so it was working great.

Must load up that save actually, pretty sure I had 20+ eyes of death :pac:

Its how I did it alright. Just had no invasion success.

I was lvl 11 because suppossedly that means I can get peoplt from level 1-21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I have a feeling this game will be more story driven than previous games. Not sure if thats a good thing or not. Also seems to feature a "main character", again hard to say if good or bad, but im sure the From team will deliver again and give us a very enjoyable game.

Hate to do it, but from here on out its gonna be a media blackout for me.

-Edit-
    Just re-watched the trailer and if you know your Dark Souls lore and the history of the world that this game might infact be a prequel to Dark Souls. The Lady in the trailer is the Witch of Izalith?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpS0HMzqnTQ

Epic name bros take on the dark souls 2 teaser , it's heavily edited due to copy right stuff , but entertaining. He also thinks its back in time we are going for dark souls 2 !!

I first thought that too when I watched the trailer alright. With the way the lore works, there is so much backstory to work with it makes sense.

All the main characters are either dead or dying in the current timeline and there's nothing much left of Lordran going forward so it makes sense they go back with it! I would love if it was set around the time Anor Londo came into power and the lords and dragons were at war, it would be epic!

I think however with little or nothing really known about the Furtive Pygmy it will go somewhat towards explaining who he or she really was and why they are so important to Lordrans history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Big Knox wrote: »

I think however with little or nothing really known about the Furtive Pygmy it will go somewhat towards explaining who he or she really was and why they are so important to Lordrans history.
    I always took the furtive pygmy to be the humans (or the original human). Considering Gwyn and his knight are all giants the humans must've been like pygmys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

penev10 wrote: »
    I always took the furtive pygmy to be the humans (or the original human). Considering Gwyn and his knight are all giants the humans must've been like pygmys.

Wasnt Manus the pygmy? Its never said he was the actual pygmy but i was under the impression he was. Probably got it from an EpicNameBro video :rolleyes:

Wasnt Manus the pygmy? Its never said he was the actual pygmy but i was under the impression he was. Probably got it from an EpicNameBro video :rolleyes:

I think he may have mentioned that but I really don't think it's true. It's mentioned in the game that Manus is a primeval human and I think that's where he got it from as the Furtive Pygmy is called the same but I really don't think Manus is the actual Pygmy. Maybe a descendant!

I personally think more along the lines of what Penev said, that the pygmy was the first "human" but that could be completely wrong aswell, such is Dark Souls! :o

I would like if the second explained this in more detail. The air of uncertainty is part and parcel of Dark Souls but there's only so much you can think about something before it starts to become annoying ha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

One thing I noticed was that the white mask knights in the trailer look similar to the crystal and Domnhall armour sets in Dark Souls. maybe its set in Zena :D Its one of the least explained areas in Dark Souls and not really tied to anything concerning Lordran. Would give From a lot of breathing space to work the area into the story and set it in pretty much any time period they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Will patches be in it is the big question. I'm kinda half hoping that yer one is one of the pyro witches.

Is it possible to get a 2nd pyro glove in NG? Want a base for power within and ascended for regular pyro's.

Will patches be in it is the big question. I'm kinda half hoping that yer one is one of the pyro witches.

Is it possible to get a 2nd pyro glove in NG? Want a base for power within and ascended for regular pyro's.

Ya get a new glove down outside quahaags , excuse the spelling etc , using a phone to type just after waking up with the mother load of a hangover. My play through now has one +15 and 1 normal. I also traded 1 to snuggly I think for a red slab. The power within is really useful in fairness !!

• Advertisement

Random post: Top moments in Dark Souls.

Best Boss Fight:

It is a toss up between Smough and Ornstein and GraveLord Nito for me. S&O for the challenge and music. Nito wasn't that difficult but that music (coupled with those screams) really gets you up for the fight.

Biggest Sigh of Relief:

After the horror and rage of blighttown, I emerged into Valley of the Drakes, unlocked a door and took an elevator up. After a couple of seconds the knowingly comforting music of "Firelink Shrine" pumped in and I knew I was home and that I wouldn't have to do Blighttown again.

Best Boss : Has to be summoing SIF for the manus fight.

Relief : Getting past the anor londo archers and finding all the "I did it" signs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

BEST BOSS :the boss before nito its more like a mini boss
    had alot of fun doing that one :D

Relief : beating nito then getting a firelink shrine teleporting me home :) knowing id never have to go through those poxy skeletons again :L

Best Boss: Sif

From really done a fantastic job portraying her as a really proud wolf and I actually walked away from the fight first time I got her limping.

Rumours were flying around at the time about being able to let her go and I couldn't kill her. I eventually came back to her before Gwyn and finished her off and I remember sitting there honestly moved and saddened by it, even though at the time we really knew nothing about her.

Biggest Moment of Relief: Hard to say, I never really got stuck at any point but I do remember getting very frustrated with the Ghosts in New Londo, so I'd say probably draining the water and getting past that area which is full of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

After getting bashed by Sif so many times, I took more pride than pleasure throwing that last fireball.

You are all soft - Sif was incredibly easy and no amount of limping could get that fight to the top of my list!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Best moment so far: Killing that damned Stray demon in the Undead Asylum....

Actually beating capra for the first time, man he was a proper git the first time you bumped into him.

1 More category.

Best you've got to be kidding me moment : going to the demon ruins and seeing
    6 capra's
    waiting for you.

Best "Da Fcuk" Moment:

Getting the Lord Vessel and seeing this yoke in Firelink Shrine with a stiff upper lip British accent and dodgey teeth.

I had a real South Park moment when I saw that

God.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Best boss fight - O&S by a mile.

Biggest sigh of relief - Beating Bed of Chaos. Has to be the cheapest, most frustrating boss in either Souls game. The timed jump at the end reminded me why I'm not a fan of platform games.

Advertisement