Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Best Boss: Iron Golem. Yeah I know a lot found him easy, but my first playthrough was a melee cleric with no humanity left and I found it beyond epic. I love the buildup through sens, the design of him, everything was awesome.

Biggest sigh of relief: Finally finding the proper route to progress from firelink. I had died a bazillion times from ghosts, skeletons, falls, skeletons, skeletons, and more fecking skeletons >:( finally spotted a "path ahead" sign and seen the stairs heading up towards the aqueduct lol. That was the second day I had the game rented I think and I was close to throwing it out the window. Next day I bought the Limited Edition and was hooked. In a way all that practice on skeletons was a good thing, I usually have the catacombs cleared before sens and head straight for the Tombs when I grab the lordvessal.

Best "Da Fcuk" Moment: There are too many, probably falling in the depths and seeing all those spiky bodies frozen down there. A weird Frog enemy appears, so I charge in mace swinging............... CURSED ... wa da fcuk is dis??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

hmmm wtf, i got the letter from zavvi to preorder dark souls 2... release date: 2013 april.

huh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Best Boss Fight For me it was the Taurus Demon. Just a couple of days into playing it here I am walking along a quiet bridge after getting through the skeletons of the Undead Burg and this big huge bull-headed bastard with a giant size axe appears suddenly out of nowhere and comes running towards me, I nearly soiled myself.

Biggest Relief moment Finally managing to get past those Silver Knight archers on the narrow ledge in Anor Londo and getting to the bonfire where Knight Solaire is.

well i had a small break off dark souls. somehow had my hands full with BF3 expansion and EVE online expansion, plus finished few other games too.

last time i played i was at the beggining of Anar Londo. So today i did continue deeper and faced those gargoyle yokes. nasty feckers, but technicly 1 shoting them. after first slam with R2 attack i just slap them again before they even manage to get up. :D
    i have to say i fcking hated part on those ledges with two silver knights bowing me from both sides. it was fecking annoying for someone who uses 2hander in one hand and full heavy armor! anyway found the kindle fire next and got pvped. it was another person who got me with stupid backstab... had another PVP moment and i it was a huge WTF moment for me. He was in cloth armor with some huge samurai sword. he could not even touch me, but he stacked bleeding on me. what was really annoying i hade few direct blows at him and nothing happened. he did not even got pushed back or lost any health!!! can anyone explain me the physics of that? as it was pure unfair! is it some spell?! oh yeah, that headless deamon killed me like 10 times, before i got him. i cant remember him, being that hard before... plus it had some new moves too? i could kill it now easy, just was a bit too cocky lol. good lesson!
    After getting my are pwned i just continued. open the door and found that blacksmith. he got some things for sale that i would not mind getting my dirty paws on. like twilight titanite! I started a bit farming souls on those silver knights and i have to say it its almost criminal how easy to farm them. i got 50k++ souls in just less then half an hour. i can 2 shot those knights. technicly 1 shot them, because after first slam i slam them second time before they even manage to get up! trololol.

okay so, questions. :D

that new blacksmith lets me to upgrade my sword with sif soul. though it is way lower damage upgraded then my current Z-sword. its called artouris sword or something. is there some catch? i dont want to upgrade my weapon and then not being able to use it as it is low low damage crap. can you upgrade those new made weapons too?... i do love it :(
    i presume there is a boss behind white fog inside that huge building i opened doors to. what boss is it? will i be able to summon someone to give me a hand therE? or do i do it at bonefire? i would prefer npc to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Best Boss: Smough & Ornstein by a country mile. The game had plenty of amazing fights but 2 bosses at once? Epic. And that's before I even mention the BGM for the fight.

Biggest Sigh of Relief: Beating Smough & Ornstein with more than a little luck.

Biggest "Da Fck" Moment: Seath's regenerating health. Not cool.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

okay so, questions. :D

that new blacksmith lets me to upgrade my sword with sif soul. though it is way lower damage upgraded then my current Z-sword. its called artouris sword or something. is there some catch? i dont want to upgrade my weapon and then not being able to use it as it is low low damage crap. can you upgrade those new made weapons too?... i do love it :(
    i presume there is a boss behind white fog inside that huge building i opened doors to. what boss is it? will i be able to summon someone to give me a hand therE? or do i do it at bonefire? i would prefer npc to be honest.

Certain Boss souls are used to create Unique weapons. Sifs in particular can make two variations of that sword and a shield. The sword won't be any real use for your build if you are going mainly STR but the shield however is awesome for a STR build so you might want to look into it.

You need 34 STR to use it but if you have that there's no better shield in the game, bar Havels which requires 50 STR. If you want to make the shield just get any shield to +10 and that blacksmith can make it with Sifs soul. If you are going to do it I recommend upgrading a light shield which should require less titanite to get to +10!

For this boss, you can summon solaire. His summon sign is half way up the stairs on the blacksmith side of the main hallway before the boss! I won't say anything about the boss but report back and let us know how you get on!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Danonino. wrote: »
    [
    Best "Da Fcuk" Moment: There are too many, probably falling in the depths and seeing all those spiky bodies frozen down there. A weird Frog enemy appears, so I charge in mace swinging............... CURSED ... wa da fcuk is dis??

Yeah forgot about cursed, trying to make it back to church because I was a cheap git with half HP. Think I said it before my mate got cursed 3 times, everything 1 shotted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Best Boss: O&S. The hardest fight in the game, and the most rewarding when you beat them. The fact that they both have different fighting styles makes it alot more frantic than the Maneaterx2 fight in Demons. Then you think you beat them and one of them goes Super Saiyan. Excellent. Fantastic music to

Biggest Sigh of Relief: None really spring to mind. Maybe finishing Blighttown cause the FPS drop is so annoying. Didnt find it that hard, the similar area in Demon Souls was sooooooo much more frustrating. Maybe beating O&S since it gave me the most trouble

Honorable mention to Gwyn's theme. Best song from a videogame in recent memory.

O&S is definitely the best fight in the game alright but they didn't have the same impact on me. Everything I had read before release had built them up so much in my head and then to kill them first time was very underwhelming.

Maneaters was much more intense for me and a much harder fight first time around. I think that's why as much as I now love Dark, I still have fonder memories of Demon's in my head as the difficulty lived up to the hype that first time around and it crushed me over and over.

Big Knox wrote: »
    Certain Boss souls are used to create Unique weapons. Sifs in particular can make two variations of that sword and a shield. The sword won't be any real use for your build if you are going mainly STR but the shield however is awesome for a STR build so you might want to look into it.

You need 34 STR to use it but if you have that there's no better shield in the game, bar Havels which requires 50 STR. If you want to make the shield just get any shield to +10 and that blacksmith can make it with Sifs soul. If you are going to do it I recommend upgrading a light shield which should require less titanite to get to +10!

For this boss, you can summon solaire. His summon sign is half way up the stairs on the blacksmith side of the main hallway before the boss! I won't say anything about the boss but report back and let us know how you get on!! :D

Gentleman like always! Cheers!

Good thing I did not just upgraded so, but the news of good shield gave me a boner. I am still using balder shield! I was planing on upgrading silver knights shield, but now I will just get that one from sifs soul.
    I am between 3 armour sets now. Black armour, silver knights armour and I can buy some sort of large armour? The one that blacksmith sells. I love blac armour set, but it is so heavy and I can only use my Z-sword with it. I got 40str and I can start using Demons machete, but it puts me over half load :(. I might look in to silver knights set for now and try that machete.

Somehow I am really not looking forward to that boss.. This is second time people in here tell me to get bac here after that boss. :) something tells me I will die and die a lot there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Surpised nobody else like the Nito fight the BGM and atmosphere were EPICZ!

The hardest fight for me was 4 Kings - especially on NG+. God I hate the randomness of it, sometimes I can't survive without getting one shotted and others I will get 6 two handers on them and the fight will be nearly over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Started a new character with the sole purpose of trying out the Black Knight Halberd. Managed to get it and the stats (@ SL33) to use it in 2 hours! Not exactly a speedrun but I'm quite happy with finally having some level of mastery over the game. Manipulating the shortcuts can really make every playthrough seem very different.

penev10 wrote: »
    Started a new character with the sole purpose of trying out the Black Knight Halberd. Managed to get it and the stats (@ SL33) to use it in 2 hours! Not exactly a speedrun but I'm quite happy with finally having some level of mastery over the game. Manipulating the shortcuts can really make every playthrough seem very different.

i have to say dark souls has the best ever level design in gaming history. you feel like going so damn far away or deep in dungeons, but there is always some shortcut to get back to starting places!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

noodler wrote: »
    Surpised nobody else like the Nito fight the BGM and atmosphere were EPICZ!

The hardest fight for me was 4 Kings - especially on NG+. God I hate the randomness of it, sometimes I can't survive without getting one shotted and others I will get 6 two handers on them and the fight will be nearly over.

I found Nito too easy tbh, even on NG+. Once you kill the skeletons with a divine weapon he comes plodding out slowly and I managed to tank him fairly easily. The 4 Kings were very annoying on NG+. I eventually tanked them quickly using the Black Knight Halberd and Iron Flesh:)

The Black Knight Halberd is a wicked weapon, my personal weapon of choice. Great range and savage base damage. It's brill for taking out swarms of enemies in front of you. The disadvantage it that the scaling is poor and also if you miss with it you leave yourself wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

i have to say dark souls has the best ever level design in gaming history. you feel like going so damn far away or deep in dungeons, but there is always some shortcut to get back to starting places!

I ahve been tempted to call this my favourite game ever etc but I really think it is th ebest game ever at least in terms of level design and the way everything links together.

The Black Knight Halberd is a wicked weapon, my personal weapon of choice. Great range and savage base damage. It's brill for taking out swarms of enemies in front of you. The disadvantage it that the scaling is poor and also if you miss with it you leave yourself wide open.

Scaling isn't the best as you say but it shouldn't be a problem until much later in the game. At +2 with base requirement stats it murders everything up to Anor Londo so far. Going to try out the Man Serpent Greatsword next!

Guys, a little problem here... I need to make +10 shield, but the blacksmith lets me do only up to +5 in anar Londo. Do I need to go all the way back to first blacksmith to make +10 items?!?!

If so, is there any fast way to get to first blacksmith? Or will I need to go through all those damn death traps in Sen's fortress?

Guys, a little problem here... I need to make +10 shield, but the blacksmith lets me do only up to +5 in anar Londo. Do I need to go all the way back to first blacksmith to make +10 items?!?!

If so, is there any fast way to get to first blacksmith? Or will I need to go through all those damn death traps in Sen's fortress?

In sens if you jump across the gap to the tower at the top of the screen here, and make your way down to the bottom you will find a key that will activate a shortcut from the top of sens to the bottom :)
    The shortcut is two cages in the next tower you come across if you were to continue on to the right in the screenshot.

It means you can actually run from Anor Londo to the Parish fairly easily and then homeward bone back to the bonfire. This is how I always did it pre-patch.... but thats changed. To be honest I would say the trip isn't worth it as without wanting to spoil anything you would be better off killing the boss of the area you are in first :)

12.9.jpg

O&S is definitely the best fight in the game alright but they didn't have the same impact on me. Everything I had read before release had built them up so much in my head and then to kill them first time was very underwhelming.

Maneaters was much more intense for me and a much harder fight first time around. I think that's why as much as I now love Dark, I still have fonder memories of Demon's in my head as the difficulty lived up to the hype that first time around and it crushed me over and over.

I'm going to try my best to not read any new info outside of trailers for DS2. I managed to do it for the DLC and was delighted I did. Going to be hard though.

Okay so, I killed those 2 guys there. I did it solo from second try. First time I stupidly pinned myself in to the wall and got tea baged :(. It was fun. Is that the boss I was support to kill?

Anyway, what's next? Anything for me to do here?

Okay so, I killed those 2 guys there. I did it solo from second try. First time I stupidly pinned myself in to the wall and got tea baged :(. It was fun. Is that the boss I was support to kill?

Anyway, what's next? Anything for me to do here?

Fair play. Tough fight that.

Use the elevators at the back of the room you fought those to find a bonfire and a chamber behind it. Go in there and get something important.

• Advertisement

Fair play. Tough fight that.

Use the elevators at the back of the room you fought those to find a bonfire and a chamber behind it. Go in there and get something important.

Aye, cheers. I had spent all my souls at BS so I decided to just have a look what's that boss. He did killed me first try, but I got down to 50% on side and still had 9 flasks. Like I sad I stupidly bumped my back at wall at got sadomised. On try two I just went for it. I took my time though. Was very carefull. For what it's worth - I really liked the boss design. Though if. Would have met it on my first try playing dar souls on ps3, I would just say **** to that and better go shove razor blades up my ass.

I don't know how, but demon souls makes your balls drop... It's the best true meaning of rpg. But not just generics rpg, this rpg really polished your skills, not just stay numbers.

Anyway, I am making dinner as misses will be back soon home. After dinner ill continue. Though I might farm a few souls and stack pile a few of those titanites, just in case. I like to be ready!

Btw I am still confused on that shortcut back to blacksmith. Is it patched now? Or you can still use it?

Btw I am still confused on that shortcut back to blacksmith. Is it patched now? Or you can still use it?

Oh sorry, no it still works as it should. You will receive an item once you go up the elevators behind the boss chamber and what I said should make more sense. There would have been no point making the long trip back :)

Danonino. wrote: »
    Oh sorry, no it still works as it should. You will receive an item once you go up the elevators behind the boss chamber and what I said should make more sense. There would have been no point making the long trip back :)

Aye. I beaked out while cooking and decided to check what was behind the door. I have to say it was.... Quite in to your face lol. So now I get what this item about. So is there still something for me to do here or do I move on? And if move on, where do I go next?

Aye. I beaked out while cooking and decided to check what was behind the door. I have to say it was.... Quite in to your face lol. So now I get what this item about. So is there still something for me to do here or do I move on? And if move on, where do I go next?

Warp back to Firelink and head into the big swimming pool like area just behind the bonfire! You can also warp directly to the blacksmith in the parish now!

Fair play on the O&S kill, they usually give people trouble! What level are you btw?

Warp back to Firelink and head into the big swimming pool like area just behind the bonfire! You can also warp directly to the blacksmith in the parish now!

Fair play on the O&S kill, they usually give people trouble! What level are you btw?

Cheers. I am level 70 now. 40str and 37 endu, 20vitality too I think.

It was a nice fight, but it was all in being carefull, taking time, minding surroundings etc. I am using that giant set. It looks sexy and its stats are even sexier. Still my old trusty +10 zweihander. I wonder if I will ever swap this weapon. It just makes baby Jesus cry 24/7 :D.

I did managed to make that aurtoris shield with Sif soul, but the sad thing is the bastard is 16stone. I can't have it and still maintain half load :(. I am currently at 131 poise, is that good?

Btw I have still not explored that ghost place down there. Haven't even been in valley of drakes too. Should I not explore there forst before continuing?

I don't really know way do I do in that pool area. That thing is sleeping there and pass there are some skeletons. If I rember right I could not put them down back then.

Cheers. I am level 70 now. 40str and 37 endu, 20vitality too I think.

It was a nice fight, but it was all in being carefull, taking time, minding surroundings etc. I am using that giant set. It looks sexy and its stats are even sexier. Still my old trusty +10 zweihander. I wonder if I will ever swap this weapon. It just makes baby Jesus cry 24/7 :D.

I did managed to make that aurtoris shield with Sif soul, but the sad thing is the bastard is 16stone. I can't have it and still maintain half load :(. I am currently at 131 poise, is that good?

Btw I have still not explored that ghost place down there. Haven't even been in valley of drakes too. Should I not explore there forst before continuing?

Giant's is probably the best heavy set in the game. It has great defensive stats and its weight isn't as bad as most of the other heavy sets. You can't go wrong with it! Are you using Havel's ring and the ring of favour and protection to increase your equip load? They should be your two rings on that set-up! 131 poise is massive, I'm not 100% as I can't remember the break limits off the top of my head but you should be able to take a hit from pretty much anything now without being staggered.

It's good you've stopped at 40 STR. Diminishing returns kick in after 40 and unless you want to use Havel's shield there's no real point going above 40. Endurance is the same, after 40 your stamina doesn't go up it just increased your equip load further which isn't not really worth it!

Well once you've talked with Frampt in Firelink you have a choice to make on where to head next. You need to collect the Lord Souls, so it's either head to the Duke's Archive at the beginning of Anor Londo, head into the catacombs just off of firelink, go to New Londo beneath firelink or head down to Lost Izalith past the lower blighttown Bell!

You can do them in any order really but I would probably recommend the Duke's Archives first! If you have the DLC make sure you go and kill the Hydra in darkroot and save Dusk from the Crystal Golem behind it before heading into the Archives!

I don't really know way do I do in that pool area. That thing is sleeping there and pass there are some skeletons. If I rember right I could not put them down back then.

Wake him up with your Zweihander and talk to him if you haven't done already! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Would anyone know any good sources of info for builds? I'm tempted to try for a pure tank build or maybe a DEX one.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Wake him up with your Zweihander and talk to him if you haven't done already! :pac:

Won't I aggro him? So far I know that I need carefull as **** with npcs. I remember I saved some fella in a pot, then accidentally I clipped him while destroying pots... Ups.

As for hydra, I remember it handed my ass to me before. Not looking forward to it... Is there a way to avoid its lighting bolts?

So archive is a way to go so?

Advertisement