Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It usually takes a few hits to make an NPC hostile. One hit will only wake him.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Okay, wtf with that hydra in forest? I managed get close to it and then I just drawned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You can only walk on the outer edges of the lake. Use a decent shield to block and strike the heads while it recovers from attacking. You might need a bow and some arrows to finish it off when only a few heads remain.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

You can only walk on the outer edges of the lake. Use a decent shield to block and strike the heads while it recovers from attacking. You might need a bow and some arrows to finish it off when only a few heads remain.

aye, cheers. ill give it a go tomorrow. i am off to bed, work tomorrow.

i might pick up xbow for this so, just in case.

When he only has one head left, attacking with a melee weapon won't work. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Won't I aggro him? So far I know that I need carefull as **** with npcs. I remember I saved some fella in a pot, then accidentally I clipped him while destroying pots... Ups.

As for hydra, I remember it handed my ass to me before. Not looking forward to it... Is there a way to avoid its lighting bolts?

So archive is a way to go so?

Yeah you can't kill or aggro Frampt so no worries! For the Hydra, as was said above just get into melee range and take out each head one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

aye, cheers. ill give it a go tomorrow. i am off to bed, work tomorrow.

i might pick up xbow for this so, just in case.

The Hydra was an utter nightmare for me at the start but in NG+ I found that a well buffed crossbow made things a hell of a lot easier. I locked on to him and I just moved out from behind the rock and waited for him to fire his projectiles. Just as he fired I moved in behind the rock and the projectiles missed. I then ran out and fired a bolt at him before moving back behind the rock again. Once he done his pounce attack with his heads I ran out quickly and took off one of it's heads. One less head also means one less magic projectile. I repeated the process and once he was down to two heads I easily finished him off with the crossbow:)

Speaking of Crossbows I just picked up the Avelyn Crossbow in the Dukes archives today. Was a nightmare to get though. When I finally managed to land on the platform with the chest containing the crossbow I ended up getting taken out by a sneaky channeller arrow:mad: After that I just killed everything in the area before trying the jump again. What a weapon, a serious damage-dealing triple-firing crossbow:) I buffed it up to +12, I need to grab a few more titanite chunks to bring it all the way to +15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

The Hydra was an utter nightmare for me at the start but in NG+ I found that a well buffed crossbow made things a hell of a lot easier. I locked on to him and I just moved out from behind the rock and waited for him to fire his projectiles. Just as he fired I moved in behind the rock and the projectiles missed. I then ran out and fired a bolt at him before moving back behind the rock again. Once he done his pounce attack with his heads I ran out quickly and took off one of it's heads. One less head also means one less magic projectile. I repeated the process and once he was down to two heads I easily finished him off with the crossbow:)

Speaking of Crossbows I just picked up the Avelyn Crossbow in the Dukes archives today. Was a nightmare to get though. When I finally managed to land on the platform with the chest containing the crossbow I ended up getting taken out by a sneaky channeller arrow:mad: After that I just killed everything in the area before trying the jump again. What a weapon, a serious damage-dealing triple-firing crossbow:) I buffed it up to +12, I need to grab a few more titanite chunks to bring it all the way to +15.

Another option would be to make it a lightning crossbow :D Crossbows have lightning bolts available from the giant blacksmith and when used in a lightning weapon = awesome damage :)

Same with Bows, use magic arrows with a magic bow or fire arrows with a fire bow :) Had no idea this is how it worked up until a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Danonino. wrote: »
    Another option would be to make it a lightning crossbow :D Crossbows have lightning bolts available from the giant blacksmith and when used in a lightning weapon = awesome damage :)

Same with Bows, use magic arrows with a magic bow or fire arrows with a fire bow :) Had no idea this is how it worked up until a few weeks back.

Oh I have a +5 Lightning Heavy Crossbow as well. A fantastic weapon when used with lightning bolts:) I must get my ass to Vamos the blacksmith and start making some fire weapons now that I picked up the Large Flame ember and Chaos Flame ember.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Dark Souls is probably the best game I've ever played. It's not normal. It's from a warped but genius mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Would anyone know any good sources of info for builds? I'm tempted to try for a pure tank build or maybe a DEX one.

Theres the build calculator. It's got some saved builds, the dudes on the gamefaqs boards are pretty good for advice too. Just link a template of your build and they'll tell whats best to go with.

started off yet another build, running around at Sl10(apart from the gargoyles i'm getting sfa summons, queelags is dead for SL10). Decided to go to the catacombs smithy for a +5 fire weapon and found the scythe, never bothered with it before, man i really like it, Wiped the floor with queelag.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I bet the Iron Golem with relative ease, apart from him picking me up and killing the life out of me a few times. Apart from that he was grand!

Anor Lando is very pretty, but Sens Fortress was a nightmare for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It was cruel putting them archers on the beams in Anor Londo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

started off yet another build, running around at Sl10(apart from the gargoyles i'm getting sfa summons, queelags is dead for SL10). Decided to go to the catacombs smithy for a +5 fire weapon and found the scythe, never bothered with it before, man i really like it, Wiped the floor with queelag.
    Outside the bonfire in the undead burg is good at SL10. I've never dropped a summon sign there but I've picked up a few. Had guys take out Havel early doors and all!

Souls return is better in depths and blighttown, trying to max out the pyro, actually i just remembered the forest covenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Played this a while back, got stuck on O&S and gave up. Will be starting a new game this week, gonna beat it this time.

Theres the build calculator. It's got some saved builds, the dudes on the gamefaqs boards are pretty good for advice too. Just link a template of your build and they'll tell whats best to go with.

Surprised you haven't tried the Great Scythe before on your DEX build. It's a bloody awesome weapon. My 1v1 weapon is the BSS with DMB but for general invasions and forest pvp I use the Scythe with pine resin. Crazy range and damage!

Cheers guys! What qualities do people look for when designing PVP builds compared to PVE?

Someone with humour and big ti...oh wait.

Mobility is the key better to dodge than block and don't spread stats. Decide on a build and stick to it, are you dex focused, str, magic etc and stick to those stats. Also get an idea or what weapons you want and build your stats towards them. don't waste stats, for example, if i go dex, i know i'll use the silver knight spear or black knight shield(best fire defense)which requires 16 str, i'll never put anything else into str after 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I spent a good 3 hours PVP with a new build last night trying to convince myself I was having fun. Spent some time in Anor Londo, then Oolacile and finaly the arena... Honestly Darksouls PVP is pure ****e. Sorry but dark Souls with summons and sporadic invasions is beyond awesome, but once you play 2-3 people in a row and actually start to see how ridiculously unbalanced and glitchy the PVP netcode/mechanics is its just horrible.

I hope Dark Souls 2 doesn't focus more on the PVP, I mean I know thats why a lot of people are still playing the game but unless they fix the netcode its pointless. One change I think would make a huge difference is to make Backstabs require a button combination with a whiff animation.

Anyway I finished the game again last night, don't think I'm arsed going for platinum as i already got 100% on the xbox. Think I'm finished with Souls :) after trying a few builds i can safely say I don't enjoy the multiplayer in its current form at all so I'm looking forward to 2 :D

EDIT: turns out I was PVPing in areas waaaay too high for my souls level, I've just spent a good hour (can't stop playing this damn game) as my lv50 Siegmeyer build around Sens and anor londo and its been great fun due to magic not one-hitting me and backstabs not being insta kills. Still stand by my little rant above, but it looks like I have a lot to learn about invading etc as I didn't know it would send me up against dudes way above my level O_o

• Advertisement

Someone with humour and big ti...oh wait.

Mobility is the key better to dodge than block and don't spread stats. Decide on a build and stick to it, are you dex focused, str, magic etc and stick to those stats. Also get an idea or what weapons you want and build your stats towards them. don't waste stats, for example, if i go dex, i know i'll use the silver knight spear or black knight shield(best fire defense)which requires 16 str, i'll never put anything else into str after 16.

TOO MANY OPTIONS, DAMNIT!!!

Damn it. Did not played tonight at all. Had to mine a lot on eve and some borderlands 2 mixed in :).

I'll try to get bac to it tomorrow. That hydra will die!

Damn it. Did not played tonight at all. Had to mine a lot on eve and some borderlands 2 mixed in :).

I'll try to get bac to it tomorrow. That hydra will die!

Let us know how you get on.

Let us know how you get on.

Will do. I don't think it will be much of a trouble. Checked it on YouTube after and it looks easy. Just need to get to damn thing. Not easy when your armour makes you weigh half a ton :D.

By the way lads. Any point in those lightning weapons? Or I just stick to +10?

So far my plan is to get: 40str 40endu 40vit. Is there a level cap in dark souls?

There's no level cap, you just pay more souls to reach the next level. You can find a lightning spear later on which you could use to experiment with. You can only forge Lightning weapons later on as well so I suggest you experiment with the spear when you find it.
    By the sounds of things you're aiming for a tank-type character so those three stats should serve you well. The only reason to go above 40 is for Havel's greatshield or to one-hand the game's bigger weapons.

Will do. I don't think it will be much of a trouble. Checked it on YouTube after and it looks easy. Just need to get to damn thing. Not easy when your armour makes you weigh half a ton :D.

So far my plan is to get: 40str 40endu 40vit. Is there a level cap in dark souls?

Lightning weapons are very powerful considering they don't scale from stats but since you have 40 STR you won't really have a need for them!

They work great on a VIT gouge build where you can pump VIT to around 80 and then have base stats and use elemental weapons. My very first playthrough I used a lightning Claymore for the entire run and just levelled VIT + END and it made the game far far far too easy for me unfortunately so I kind of hate them now! They really unbalanced the game in the early days and they eventually received a nerf but they are still used!

40 in STR/VIT/END is a solid start for a STR build just don't go higher in STR or END! Once you have that much you might want to think about investing in some FAI or INT to complement the build. For STR I would recommend going with FAI for the excellent weapon buffs, extra survivability and having access to wrath of the gods. Alternatively if you would rather stay away from Miracles and Magic altogether you can just keep levelling VIT for a massive health pool which works well for tank builds!

Nope just go to +15 and buy buffs, fire buff off the undead female merchant or farm the 2 giant mushrooms in the forest for yellow pine resin(lightning buff).

Well lads I am back to dark souls. Killed hydra easily. Though I have no idea what do I need here? Should there be some npc I need to save? You told me to kill hydra before going deeper to anal lordo part.

Yeah, go to the back of the area where it was and quit the game. Reload and there should be a golem. Kill it and there will be an NPC who sells spells.

• Advertisement

Nope just go to +15 and buy buffs, fire buff off the undead female merchant or farm the 2 giant mushrooms in the forest for yellow pine resin(lightning buff).

Alternatively, he could buy Magic Weapon and Great Magic Weapon if he has the stats.

Advertisement