Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Some details on Dark Souls II, copied and pasted from GameFAQs.
    -This the article source for the infamous "we want the skyrim audience" quote. To be perfectly clear, even though this was already known, this quote is from the writers of the article and not From Software.

-Huge leap in graphical quality. The game is compared to Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313. Dynamic lighting and smoother animations all around.

-Hidetake Miyazaki, the director for Dark/Demon's souls, will not be directing the game and will only be lightly involved in the production. To be perfectly honest it basically seems like his name is there to be there- his involvement is mostly about getting the project started and occasionally checking in on it.

-The unknown nature of the games came from Miyazaki's interest in western fantasy/mythology and his relative inability to read the English text as a child, leaving him to fill in the blanks.

-Miyazaki was disappointed about having to patch Dark Souls, saying that they pushed the game out without being 100% complete. Dark Souls II will be complete when it launches.

-Server based PVP is back (yay!)

-The information about the directors for the game is worrying. Information is unclear whether or not Miyazaki willingly stepped down from the director's chair. Namco calls is a "company decision" and has this disturbing anecdote to share:

"For the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with a brand new Dark Souls experience. In order to maintain expectations and satisfaction and the rewards players experience this was the time to bring in new characteristics and tastes of the directors for the series to continue evolving."

That **** sounds worrying to me. I could just be paranoid since this is one of the last bastions of hardcore gaming being released, but it sounds too much like PR bull ****.

-Miyazaki is working on a new game he can't talk about.

-Miyazaki is disappointed he doesn't have a greater role in Dark Souls II

-The Graphics are shockingly close to the trailer's quality

-According to Shibuya, one of the co-directors, the player's ability to parse meaning from subtle hints or clues will determine the difficulty of the game and the challenges that are there to experience.

-The map is roughly the same size, but has more content and more "areas of interest".

-The notion that Dark Souls needs to evolve was "common". Edge says not to expect a minor update.

-In designing map areas, the main concept was to create areas that had not been in either game.

-Talks of implementing a system that will let you reveal the clues you've learned over the course of the game (wut?)

-Shibuya talks about "limiting players options for the early portion of the game, making it simpler to understand new concepts. Then, after a certain amount of time has elapsed, they will suddenly experience the true dark souls experience".

-The game is a direct sequel to Dark Souls, but will not take place in Lordran. It takes place in the same world, but in a different location. (I'm confused as to how this works since we basically murdered all of the gods in the first game...)

-Time travel may play a part in the plot, and the "theme" of the game is "time" and "eras"

-Shibuya does not intend to change the controls.

-There may be slight awkwardness coming in from Dark Souls, but people should be able to adapt easily.

-Covenants will return, but be easier to understand

-Dark Souls II will be more straightforward and understandable in regards to gameplay and plot. Sibuya says he enjoyed the way Dark souls handled things, but he feels that there were elements so subtle that almost no one experienced them.

-The game has been in development since September of last year, and work on the patch/DSII was done simultaneously.

-The team for DSII is substantially bigger. The team for world construction is doubled in size, and people have been added in every other area as well.

-The game is roughly 25% complete. Very unlikely to release in 2013.

-The team is thinking about Dynamic weather

-Dark Souls II will make heavy use of the ocean and the sea as a conceptual idea. I'm highlighting this because we just had two topics talking about it in the last couple days.

-There is possibly some kind of morality system involving an executioner who can show up in your game.

-Several minor enemy details are explained/discussed

-They want the game to have vehicles of some kind (this just seems weird...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Feck unlikely in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

That article just gives me more doubts about where they are heading with this! :(

Yeah I've a feeling the head honcho's don't know what its appeal is, no one gave a toss about graphics after playing it for a bit, I fear it will be severely dumbed down.

What I hope they do is something like ME3 where there were different modes to play. Like if they put an easy mode in but I can still play it as Dark Souls plays then I really don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Dark Generic Fantasy Souls 2

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Shibuya talks about "limiting players options for the early portion of the game, making it simpler to understand new concepts. Then, after a certain amount of time has elapsed, they will suddenly experience the true dark souls experience".

-Dark Souls II will be more straightforward and understandable in regards to gameplay and plot. Sibuya says he enjoyed the way Dark souls handled things, but he feels that there were elements so subtle that almost no one experienced them.

Me no like this booboo!

the beauty of darksouls was that it is dark and mysterious. you dont have a clue wtf happening and you got to piece it together with drops of information and hits you get. then limiting you at the start? WTF?! i want to get bitch slaped in the first room i visit like in previuos souls games :(

Shibuya talks about "limiting players options for the early portion of the game, making it simpler to understand new concepts. Then, after a certain amount of time has elapsed, they will suddenly experience the true dark souls experience".

Me no like this booboo!

the beauty of darksouls was that it is dark and mysterious. you dont have a clue wtf happening and you got to piece it together with drops of information and hits you get. then limiting you at the start? WTF?! i want to get bitch slaped in the first room i visit like in previuos souls games :(

Pretty sure there's stuff in the game that you actually can't figure out based purely on the information given, isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

danthefan wrote: »
    Pretty sure there's stuff in the game that you actually can't figure out based purely on the information given, isn't there?

There is some interpretation needed for certain parts of the story and lore yes but why is that an issue?

It's the same reason your character is a silent protagonist. You are the character and the game is about how you interpret things going on around you. Everyone gets something slightly different from the game and it's part of the reason so many people love it!

The multiplayer is of the same vein, silent interactions with others on their own path. You can ultimately help / hinder each other but you are always on your own separate journey and you are meant to feel isolated and alone! This is the core tone of the game and it works all the way through from your character, to the world around you, the story and lore, even the games ending and the multiplayer aspects! With each aspect there is as little or as much as you want there to be! That is the Dark Souls experience!

If they are going down the road of changing it to suit the "masses" then it's going to change the entire dynamic of the game. Yes they might still make a solid and enjoyable game but it won't be a Souls game at heart and that's the problem!

-Time travel may play a part in the plot, and the "theme" of the game is "time" and "eras"

You know what would be cool, something like prince of persia:warrior within,where there's some obstacles or areas that can't be passed without travelling forward or back in time. bit like royal wood now and before with enemies changing\evolving with time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Hidetake Miyazaki, the director for Dark/Demon's souls, will not be directing the game and will only be lightly involved in the production. To be perfectly honest it basically seems like his name is there to be there- his involvement is mostly about getting the project started and occasionally checking in on it.

The information about the directors for the game is worrying. Information is unclear whether or not Miyazaki willingly stepped down from the director's chair. Namco calls is a "company decision" and has this disturbing anecdote to share:

"For the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with a brand new Dark Souls experience. In order to maintain expectations and satisfaction and the rewards players experience this was the time to bring in new characteristics and tastes of the directors for the series to continue evolving."

Miyazaki is disappointed he doesn't have a greater role in Dark Souls II

Sounds to me like PR spin-doctor bull**** for "We want to appeal to the lowest common denominator and we don't stupid **** like the original creators vision to get in the way of making more money."
    They want the game to have vehicles of some kind

No. Just no. A thousand times no.

--

Worrying news all round then. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

here's a video from epicnamebro about the edge article. he seems none too optimistic. It's a long video , but worth a watch. There is a mention of a girl on reddit , who claimed to be the model from the trailer, saying she was the love interest of the main character..... dear God !! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

2smiggy wrote: »

here's a video from epicnamebro about the edge article. he seems none too optimistic. It's a long video , but worth a watch. There is a mention of a girl on reddit , who claimed to be the model from the trailer, saying she was the love interest of the main character..... dear God !! :(

god i hope its not about vagina concouring! :mad: I liked the whole idea of darksouls: you are here, you are ****ed, what you going to do about it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Sounds like Dark Souls and the souls series as we know it is on the way out. Unfortunately (for people who enjoy the games as they are) it seems like the game has proven popular enough to jump from a publishable and profitable title to a possible giant money spinning franchise :( Hopefully the original minds behind the games can now move on to a new idea or (hopefully) keep souls on track.

It will be an interesting game and I'm looking forward to it but it sounds like namco has taken the game from the original team and is throwing money at it in the hope it becomes a flagship title that appeals to the widest audience possible. Location tests or whatever they're called probably came back with "its too hard/vague" all over the feedback sheets. I have a friend who played until anor londo and said he just couldn't 'force' himself through the game any more, it was too hard figuring out what to do (the beam to the broken window etc) and too annoying dying every 5 minutes. That is NOT who the game was designed for but it sounds like Namco want to please these people. People who enjoyed Dark Souls and don't mind difficulty but want to be guided through it like 90% of games out there. Dark Souls was popular because it wasn't like everything else. I honestly think they could ad some signposting/cutscenes and not ruin the game but its looking more and more like they want this to be a huge seller. Hopefully they can look at Resident evil 5 and 6 and see how trying to please everyone with a single franchise is a terrible terrible idea.

Incoherent rant over :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

one bit that has me really worried is the lack of choice they talk about at the start of the game.

in dark souls we have what is basically a tutorial , fighting the asylum demon and getting to the firelink for the first time. When i got here first I ended up heading to the skeletons , and seeing i was able to kill; them presumed it was the right way to go. Again and again I died, as i watched them respawn. I ended up heading down the stair towards new londo, again i died. It was only after i had to actually go and look up a guide that i discovered the easiest route to go (not necessarily the right/only route)

in the youtube video , ENB talks about all the different routes you can take from the firelink at the very beginning if you have the master key. this is part of the re-playability of the game.

It seems they now want to force us down a set route for a certain period of the game , where as the tutorial was the only part we had to do in dark souls. I hope i am wrong about the game, but the excitement i got when i first heard about the game is sort of gone, plus it's doubtful that it will be out in 2013. We can only wait till be see some game play , but even then we will have little idea what it will be like, as the combat mechanics are all in place for the next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

God I'll be sickened if the Dark Souls series goes the same way Dragon Age went. The first Dragon Age game was great but EA ruined the second one in order to both appeal to the mainstream masses and to generate money as quickly as possible.
    As a previous poster stated, this type of game isn't for everyone and this is exactly what made the game so unique and popular in the first place. If they dumb it down so as to appeal to the masses they could be shooting themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

God I hope they dont run down the road of "Marketability". The best part of this game is making you feel helpless no matter how big your sword is. Stuff can and will kill you easily.

And I have to agree with the Dragon Age sentence. DA1 was an amazing game. DA2 was a hack and slash Devil May Cry spinoff. Turned me right off the series entirely.

There's a steam update so be careful, apparently it doesn't like dsfix. Haven't got hime to try it yet but there's a few posts on gamefaqs about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone seen this around Dublin lately for ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Varik wrote: »
    Anyone seen this around Dublin lately for ps3
    €24.99 in HMV for the PTDE, saw it in Henry St.

• Advertisement

Amazon had it for 14.99 a few days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Twas a pricey 44.99 in Gamestop Stephens Green today (PTD Edtion).

Could anyone recommend a build to get started with here?

Depends on what you want to do? Do you want to be a meat shield? Or a sneaky stabby backstab?

Vicxas wrote: »
    Depends on what you want to do? Do you want to be a meat shield? Or a sneaky stabby backstab?

Tbh initially I'm just looking for something to get me through the game. So the "easiest" route for a new player. Once I do that I can start experimenting with other builds I suppose.

I started off as a warrior. But from what im reading the Knight or Wanderer are the best for meat shielding at the start and Pyrcomancer for good damage dealing.

Tbh any class is a good start but it does depend on your play style.

Theres a good guide here that can show you whats what. :)

danthefan wrote: »
    Tbh initially I'm just looking for something to get me through the game. So the "easiest" route for a new player. Once I do that I can start experimenting with other builds I suppose.

I played through as a Cleric my first game and just having heal miracles from the start was a great help. I had no idea what classes were what I just liked the look of that mace :cool:
    Has low starting DEX though so you might want to put some levels into that so you can use bows. Handy for pulling enemies away from groups. I like starting as a cleric because it has low dex though, means you can build a solid strength/tank character. It takes a little longer before you can use ranged miracles compared to magic but you get cool lightning spears and the like if your patient. :pac:

A few dudes might say starting as a pyromancer is probably a better bet, I just don't like how the pyromancers stats are distributed and you grab a pyro flame early in the game anyway :)

Just pick a class and dive in I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

It's crazy how I can be so proficient at beating the AI creatures and bosses in the game yet I fail so miserably at PvP. I've left summon signs outside Smough and Ornstein and also at the bonfire near Manus and I have a 100% win record. I've gotten many messages from guys thanking me for helping them defeat those bosses.

PvP however, is a completely different story.After the 5th embarrassing Darkmoon defeat in a row and an even more embarrassing co-op attempt with some English guy I decided that I'm gonna give Dark Souls a break for a while and start on the Skyrim Dragonborn expansion. I'm walking away embarrassed, humiliated and with my tail between my legs:( The gamertag "JunkJungle 17" will be laughed about among certain Dark Souls PvP guys for a while yet after my ridiculous efforts. I try so hard not to get backstabbed that I end up getting constantly backstabbed and lagstabbed. When I move into the perfect position for a backstab myself I end up doing a weak R1 attack instead. It's like I just can't get my head around it. I'm gonna have to seriously revise my strategy and my character build.

Anyway it was good to get that rant off my chest. Onwards and upwards:pac:

• Advertisement

sounds like lag dude. Don't let it annoy you.

Advertisement