Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Found my solution: changed from Knight to Pyromancer. The difference is ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I started off as a Knight myself, found the first playthrough extremely hard. Now on NG++ with the same character:pac: I'll have to try out the Pyromancer class.

Anyone find Seath tricky on NG++? I tried to get his tail and he kept one-shotting me. I then said "screw this and screw his tail!". Using the Avelyn+15, Lightning bolts, high curse resistant gear, Havel's shield, the slumbering Dragoncrest ring and the Cursebite ring I took him out easily in the end. Still no tail though:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Havent played this in ages but im trying to get the 60 fps mod to work for PC without joy so far.
    When i unlock framrate in the DSfix.ini "unlockFPS 1" the game fails to boot up.

Any ideas guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Blighttown makes a guest appearance in the movie The Hobbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Blighttown makes a guest appearance in the movie The Hobbit.

I thought the hobbit was shot in high fps :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yay got my 60 fps and high res working, what a difference it makes.
    Crazy to think the devs said it wasnt possible to code 60 fps yet some random dude done it.

DATA_2013_01_06_12_18_39_43.png

Struggling against the gargoyles. One on one I don't sweat it at all, but once his mate comes along it's too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Struggling against the gargoyles. One on one I don't sweat it at all, but once his mate comes along it's too much!
    Make sure you're in human form and even offline you'll find a NPC summon sign just before the fog gate. An extra target means less chance of them ganging up on you and more chance you'll kill the first one quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Yeah if you're in Human form and you've spoken to Solaire of Astora in Undead Burg, his summon sign should appear on the door outside the gargoyles.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

You can actually get 2 NPC's summoned to help with this boss fight. There is a guy you rescue in the church, he says he will help you later. Simply restart the game and go back to where you fight the gargoyles. When you go up the ladder there is a little area across from where you summon the first npc in front of the fog fate, go across to it and summon him as well.

• Advertisement

Nice one lads. :-) I have to say I'm enjoying the hell out of the game even if I'm awful at it. I bought it alongside Fallout New Vegas but I find myself bored by the latter (I'll qualify that by saying I played the previous Fallout game, it's nothing new).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Dcully wrote: »
    Yay got my 60 fps and high res working, what a difference it makes.
    Crazy to think the devs said it wasnt possible to code 60 fps yet some random dude done it.
    They never said it wasn't possible, they basically said it was beyond the scope of the port they were going to do with the PC version based on their experience with it. The work that Durante, Nwks and co did was very much brute force based and wouldn't have been suitable for a retail release.

That being said, it's ****ing awesome that they did it. I've had a 60fps gameplay video sitting on my desktop for the last few weeks as a reminder I need to continue ignoring my 360 version and pick it up for the PC. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

So, I started playing this today - and am fairly lost. A little earlier in this thread people advised new players just to start playing and you'll pick it up as you go along. So after 1.5 hours I am still completely clueless as to what more than half of the items I carry are (other than the basic weapons and armor) and although I'd outside of the asylum section and into the Undead Burg I've no idea where I'm going or what I'm trying to do (other than find two bells to ring?) - is this standard? I've a few 'souls of undead' 'souls of large undead' in my inventory, am I supposed to do anything with them? What the hell is humanity - does this get explained to me at some point? I have no idea what almost all the options open to me at the bonfires mean - attune? kindle? Does this become obviously through play at some point, or am I supposed to work it out?! Even the levelling up screen is baffling to me, I've literally no idea what the hell any of it means! :)

I should point out that I bought a digital edition of the game and so don't have a manual, if it even shipped with one.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Souls are used for upgrading your character at bonfires, you can upgrade stats like damage, dealt, stamina, health, resistance to poison. They can also be used for purchasing weapons and equipment from merchants in games and upgrades from blacksmiths. You loose these souls if you die. If you get back to the point where you where killed you can reclaim the lost souls. But if you die before reclaiming them, they are gone for good.

Humanity allows you to upgrade at the bonefire. This restores you to human form. In human form you can summon other players over your game with the add of certain items (you can't really communicate to other players and don't have much control over who you summon). These other players can help you beat enemys and so on.In human form you can be summoned into other peoples games and help them. You can also be invaded by other players who want to kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

The manual that comes with the game is minimal. It's basically only a reference for the controls and not much else. Don't use the 'souls of large undead' etc you've found until you're at a bonfire or merchant and ready to use, to avoid losing the souls they'll bestow. I'm only a little bit further into the game than you are. In Undead Parish, and figuring it all out I think is part of it. Certainly the UI leaves a lot to be desired. I'm avoiding reading up on it though as I'm enjoying the certain blindness to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

ionapaul wrote: »
    I've no idea where I'm going or what I'm trying to do (other than find two bells to ring?) - is this standard?
    Yup, there's no right/wrong way to go but there are quicker ways to get to get to the bells. In fairness you're probably best off just exploring and experimenting and building up your character.

I've a few 'souls of undead' 'souls of large undead' in my inventory, am I supposed to do anything with them?
    Using them gives you a chunk of souls. Best off saving them until your at a merchant or a bonfire and you need a few extra souls (they only give you 200/400 souls each)
    What the hell is humanity - does this get explained to me at some point?
    Humanity lets you regain human form so you can partake in the online multiplayer part of the game. It can also be used to kindle a bonfire so it gives you more uses of your estus flask.
    I have no idea what almost all the options open to me at the bonfires mean - attune? kindle? Does this become obviously through play at some point, or am I supposed to work it out?! Even the levelling up screen is baffling to me, I've literally no idea what the hell any of it means! :)

The stats you want to level up at the beginning are Vitality (more life bar) and Endurance (more blocking / attacks and ability to wear more armour). Weapons will have pre-requisite stats for use so you might need to level the relevant stat if you want to try use that weapon (usually Strength or Dexterity).

Attune your magic lets you change which spells your currently using.

There really is an awful lot of depth to the game which can't be fully appreciated straight away. Keep chipping away and you'll get over the initial hurdles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Those guys are feckers alright, but the sense of achievement when you destroy them is immeasurable, the only time I have ever indulged in punching the air, promise!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If you let Lautrec (the chap with the golden armor) out of his cell and talk to him at Firelink Shrine you can summon him for the fight with Solaire as well. 3 on 2 definitely helps your odds.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

then murder the bastard :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wait until after the
    Gaping Dragon fight, then kill him. He drops an excellent ring. Otherwise,
    there's a cool sidequest you can do bringing him to justice

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Boards Starting class run?

Gentlemen, have any of ye done a SL1 playthrough? I started one a while back but got sidetracked by other games, but im going to start a new one today. Most SL1 runs use the Pyromancer since he is the only class that starts at SL1 but he is actually one of the easier classes to do it with since he gets early access to the pyromancy, and his stat allocation allows him to use some decent weapons.

How about it? Im sure there are some Dark Souls "vets" on here looking to spice up their game abit. Im gonna start a run tonight as a Hunter. Would be cool if a bunch of boardies did likewise, and thus we can share the tales of our heroic quest!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Boards Starting class run?

Gentlemen, have any of ye done a SL1 playthrough? I started one a while back but got sidetracked by other games, but im going to start a new one today. Most SL1 runs use the Pyromancer since he is the only class that starts at SL1 but he is actually one of the easier classes to do it with since he gets early access to the pyromancy, and his stat allocation allows him to use some decent weapons.

How about it? Im sure there are some Dark Souls "vets" on here looking to spice up their game abit. Im gonna start a run tonight as a Hunter. Would be cool if a bunch of boardies did likewise, and thus we can share the tales of our heroic quest!

:rolleyes:

I'm tempted. Wish Cleric had 12 attunement starting off. Leaning toward Hunter class. hmmm... Might actually start this now. Going to flip a coin to see which class.

Just out of curiosity are you playing on PS3 or 360?

Danonino. wrote: »
    I'm tempted. Wish Cleric had 12 attunement starting off. Leaning toward Hunter class. hmmm... Might actually start this now. Going to flip a coin to see which class.

Just out of curiosity are you playing on PS3 or 360?

Playing on PC. Killed the Gargoyles last night and im starting to think the hunter is abit to easy for this challenge. Tempted to make a thief who doesnt get access to any of the good curved swords, nor access to any decent shields or STR weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Playing on PC. Killed the Gargoyles last night and im starting to think the hunter is abit to easy for this challenge. Tempted to make a thief who doesnt get access to any of the good curved swords, nor access to any decent shields or STR weapons.

It's already a challenge in itself, don't go overboard and limit yourself further. If you manage to do it then come back and do a deprived run!! :pac:

I was going to do one awhile back but never got around to it. Have bought too many games in the steam sale now to pick up Dark again but definitely keep us updated on the progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Any one seen the troll invasion clips?

http://youtu.be/ZfOSXIJybNc

Hey, look, a totally not suspicious item near a cliff! Let's pick it up, because there probably isn't a totally invisible random dude shooting some big ass bow the moment we pick the items up !

Flipped a coin, ended up as a lv2 Cleric. Blasted through a chunk of the game yesterday. At the archer knights in anor londo. Died twice and turned it off for a break. Want to try get O+S beaten so I can head to the tomb of giants and rock the Cleric Armour from Patches.
    Still using the cleric starting robes and Mace and tempted to stick with them to the end but the Cleric armour is my favorite set in the game so thats the next stop. Would mean having a medium roll which probably spells instant death as a lv2.

Being LV2 (lv1?) is strange, things that usually are no treat are suddenly headaches, the giant rat in the sewer for instance killed me 3 times. I had never died at that mini boss before. The boss fights are epic. Quelaag with a +2 mace and fire resin took a lifetime but was so different than any time I ever fought her. No range weapons and such tiny damage output. I'm honestly dreading O+S because after arriving in anor londo its pretty obvious almost everything can one hit me :(

ONWARD FOR THE WAY OF WHITE!! :pac:

I'm currently a Level 2 Darkmoon Blade at SL201 but I'm seriously considering becoming a Sunbro instead. I love getting summoned for level playthroughs and boss fights. I particularly love the satisfaction of successfully beating a boss and getting Thank You messages/Friend requests afterwards. Most of my Xbox live friends are people I've helped against various bosses. The latest one being some American guy who I helped to beat Seath last night.

What I do normally is stick down a summon sign at a bonfire before a tricky boss, then I just browse away on the laptop whilst keeping an eye on the tv screen for a summons. To be honest I could do with a Doctor's bleeper to alert me when I get summoned:) Tonight I'll drop my sign at the BF in Blighttown, after that I'll drop it just outside the Centipede Demon door and finally I'll drop it at the last BF before the Bed of Chaos. I often drop it for Gwyn in the Kiln but in recent times I've been invaded constantly by one-shotting griefers:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Dark Souls community on G+ if anyone is interested - https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/116352184010737161300

can't get past O+S as a Lv2 cleric. Out of Humanity and not wanting to grind for a pyro flame and stuff..... I think the challenge just beat me O_o blasted through everything else and know I would only find the 4 kings hard but O+S at this level is just too mental.

• Advertisement

I'm just after losing 700k souls and 16 humanity in the Chasm. F**k, F**k F**K:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement