Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Ornstein and Smough are impossible for me.. any help or tips would be gratefully welcome.. been killed about 20 times by them.. looked at dozens of clips on youtube on how to beat them but no luck..
    Make sure you're mobile. Your equip load should be at less than 25% rso you can fast roll. You can't tank O&S.

To begin with just keep running away from them and observe their movements. You should be able to feint Ornstein into making a charge at you by standing still in his eye line then rolling at the last moment. You can get a few hits in then. If you keep legging it Smough should find it hard to keep up and you can pick off Ornstein.

Once Ornstein is dead its just a matter of waiting for Smough to do a jumping smash attack which leaves him open for a few moments. Just be patient.

You will need to be doing reasonable damage to them or it'll just become endless. What level are you and what weapon are you using? you may be underpowered for the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ornstein and Smough are impossible for me.. any help or tips would be gratefully welcome.. been killed about 20 times by them.. looked at dozens of clips on youtube on how to beat them but no luck..

I did killed him from second try, but i do realise how hard they are. The really hard part with them is to be VERY VERY PATIENT. Forget about "chancer method" or rushing in and solaire help.
    I am pure melee character with heavy armor, though it helps feck all if you get caught by them. If you are melee yourself, then best thing to do is kite them in circle around the room. keep the big guy as far as possible and try to get the small fella to charge you in. If he does charge near you and big fella is far away then throw in a few punches and leg it away. While you are kitting them around, be very careful of your surroundings. First time i died, because i hit wall with my back. I though i still had room in the back and bang - Dead!
    On phase two do the kitting again and try to learn his moves. now and then he will open up for few blows. Only go in if you are sure you can get out. If you get cough - you dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

penev10 wrote: »
    Make sure you're mobile. Your equip load should be at less than 25% rso you can fast roll. You can't tank O&S.

To begin with just keep running away from them and observe their movements. You should be able to feint Ornstein into making a charge at you by standing still in his eye line then rolling at the last moment. You can get a few hits in then. If you keep legging it Smough should find it hard to keep up and you can pick off Ornstein.

Once Ornstein is dead its just a matter of waiting for Smough to do a jumping smash attack which leaves him open for a few moments. Just be patient.

You will need to be doing reasonable damage to them or it'll just become endless. What level are you and what weapon are you using? you may be underpowered for the battle.

ta.. im level 60 and Im using the Quelaag's Furysword, can I summon an npc before I enter the boss fight ??

I spend 90% of the time cursing at the tv because of this game, but I can't put it down.. Its one of the best games Ive ever played, my wife thinks Im mad..

ta.. im level 60 and Im using the Quelaag's Furysword, can I summon an npc before I enter the boss fight ??.
    Level 60 should be ok. Furysword is probably only giving you 350ish damage, you could be doing 500+ with other weapons.

Theres an NPC in the stairs where the archer is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Would any of ye kind folk like to give me a hand with Kalameet on PC? Level 82 btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Would any of ye kind folk like to give me a hand with Kalameet on PC? Level 82 btw.

I can try later on tonight, although i think i might be a bit too high for ya. GFWL name is the same as this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Screamed the house down after dying before retrieving my bloodstain containing 150k souls and 11 Humanity in the Painted World. Fell off that stupid narrow staircase in the tower before I could retrieve it. I was RAGING:mad: Two hours of Sunbroing down the tubes. Well on the bright side I have the Sunlight medals:p

My SL 74 dex character on Xbox is having some great success as a Sunbro:) Look out for the gamertag DARK SUN PETER or message me if any of you guys need help with any boss. I'm normally on most evenings for a couple of hours. Gonna try a new INT build tonight so that I can use Logan's cool sorceries and kick serious ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I have 1,800,000 or so souls and 50 something humanity at the moment. i'm already level 110 so don't want to go much higher level wise. I'm using a magic character, so much check to see what my other stats are. still on first playthrough with this character !! still have nito, four kings and bed of chaos to do. just having too much fun helping in the new content and doing a bit of invading

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Wow, I'm on level 178 and on NG++. After a couple of attempts finally got Kalameet done and managed to get his tail just before he died. I was well chuffed. I'll probably start upgrading my guys magic stats as he's built like a tank at the moment.

I can try later on tonight, although i think i might be a bit too high for ya. GFWL name is the same as this one.

I'm good now. Went on to NG+. Also was wondering if you kill the area boss can you still pvp or is it like NG where you have to wait until the next boss area?

• Advertisement

You can invade but can't be invaded once the boss is dead.

You can invade but can't be invaded once the boss is dead.

Grand job. Wasn't sure as I rarely did PvP on the xbox but doing loads on the PC now.

Alright lads.

This game just came on my radar yesterday, yes the weather is nice on Mars. Just looking for a few 'you gotta play this game' recommendations. In the last year I've put many hours into mostly Skyrim and Batman Arkham Asylum. Probably would be ashamed to admit the amount of hours I've put into Skyrim:o

I'm evidently a casual gamer, but when I do get the time to put into a game, the rest of my world comes to a halt! I enjoyed the challenge of playing Batman AA on 'difficult' and Skyrim on 'expert', taking time and multiple attempts to progress in a game doesn't put me off usually, unless it is insanely hard just for the sake of being insanely hard.

From what i've read about this game in online reviews and random pages in this thread, it comes across to me as Skyrim on steroids. If that's the case it would suit me down to the ground, I'm looking for a new world to get immersed in. Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Your probably gonna love it. Personally I found it hard because it really gives you next to no signposting. Its easy to get lost or spend too long attempting to go a way that is close to impossible with current items. If you find a route filled with enemies that seem impossible to defeat usually you are going the wrong way. The fighting and exploration is amazing, and the lore/story is also awesome. You will get next to no cutscenes and dialog and instead piece it together from items you find.

Enemies and bosses (except one maybe two) are all brilliantly designed, you can avoid/block pretty much every attack thrown at you and they all have a weakness either in another weapon choice or an opening when fighting them. You will end up knowing each enemy attack off by heart and how to counter them, this will come from either taking it very slow and paying attention or dying.... a lot.

Don't feel like its cheating to ask for directions/advice here or from a wiki or to summon help with a difficult boss. The game can really leave you proper lost :D all part of the fun.

Is anyone else having trouble with Games for Windows Live not signing into online play tonight?

Is anyone else having trouble with Games for Windows Live not signing into online play tonight?

Logged me out mid game and took about 5 mins to reconnect, it does that every now and then.

Mine won't connect online for the last 8 or so hours though.

Mine won't connect online for the last 8 or so hours though.

Same again today, got in logged me out after an hour or so and can't get in since. They're bitching about it gamefaqs too.

Started working again last night and was fine until I went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Just checked this thread on the off-chance and it seems everyone is having issues with the online service for Dark Souls too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Same again today, got in logged me out after an hour or so and can't get in since. They're bitching about it gamefaqs too.

Same on the Dark Souls wiki forum.
    Just checked this thread on the off-chance and it seems everyone is having issues with the online service for Dark Souls too?

I was havin a few probs on Xbox yesterday in the burg with my new SL19 sorceror. I was summoned 3 times and each time I got disconnected from the server after about two minutes. I don't think my performance was so bad as to get black-crystalled out by 3 different people so I reckon it was a server problem:p

I love the online side of this game.I really didn't know what I was missing when I had been playing it offline for so long. I was invaded and killed by a WOTG spamming ganker in the Undead Parish yesterday who vindictively closed the portcullis linking the Undead Parish to the Undead burg section with the boar before killing me:mad:. I sent him a message saying that closing the portcullis was uncalled for and he messaged back apologising:D
    I summoned him later for the gargoyles and we had a little chat on the headset. A crazy US southerner who was telling me that he was on NG++ with a level 1 character:eek: I don' think I could handle the pain of struggling through this game with a SL 1 guy.

Started a OneBro last night. Currently stuck on O&S but I am enjoying it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Playing Demon's Souls and it's a great game but I have only completed 1-1 and now find myself bouncing around levels, dying, trying another 10 times, dying, moving onto another world, dying multiple times, etc. etc.

Does Dark Souls have the same level design where you can tackle different worlds as you see fit? I'd like to be making som progress but just isn't happening. Thinking of skipping to Dark Souls as the servers are still online but if I'm getting stuck in Demon's Souls, maybe Dark Souls won't be much different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Playing Demon's Souls and it's a great game but I have only completed 1-1 and now find myself bouncing around levels, dying, trying another 10 times, dying, moving onto another world, dying multiple times, etc. etc.

Does Dark Souls have the same level design where you can tackle different worlds as you see fit? I'd like to be making som progress but just isn't happening. Thinking of skipping to Dark Souls as the servers are still online but if I'm getting stuck in Demon's Souls, maybe Dark Souls won't be much different.

Hi there,

I just finished ng+ so thinking of starting a new character, I can help you if you like??

theUbiq wrote: »
    Hi there,

I just finished ng+ so thinking of starting a new character, I can help you if you like??

Thanks man but I don't have Dark Souls, just thinking of getting it as it feels like I'll never finish Demon's Souls.

The level structure isn't the same but you are usually probing on different fronts in the same manner as Demons Souls. It's an open world without the hub of Demons souls but, and particularly in the beginning, there are multiple areas and paths to those areas open almost the whole time. So you can explore, die /retreat then try another area. I found Dark Souls much better than it's predecessor in this respect.

Don't give up on Demons Souls. You'll make a breakthrough on one of the worlds. Most likely 2-1 or 1-3 and you wont look back. There are shortcuts in every level to avoid endless frustration maybe you've missed one and that will sort you out.

penev10 wrote: »
    The level structure isn't the same but you are usually probing on different fronts in the same manner as Demons Souls. It's an open world without the hub of Demons souls but, and particularly in the beginning, there are multiple areas and paths to those areas open almost the whole time. So you can explore, die /retreat then try another area. I found Dark Souls much better than it's predecessor in this respect.

Don't give up on Demons Souls. You'll make a breakthrough on one of the worlds. Most likely 2-1 or 1-3 and you wont look back. There are shortcuts in every level to avoid endless frustration maybe you've missed one and that will sort you out.

Well I was flying it until the armoured spider kicked my arse in 2-1. Can nearly get to the end of 1-2, haven't tried it enough to give up yet. 4-1 with the skeletons is just a bollox. Been reading other people stuck at the same places until they restarted as a royal and got through all the first levels with relative ease. Might do that as I'd only really be losing one level.

Spider can be cheesed by sticking to the back and to the left and using a bow with a load of arrows.

Well I was flying it until the armoured spider kicked my arse in 2-1. Can nearly get to the end of 1-2, haven't tried it enough to give up yet. 4-1 with the skeletons is just a bollox. Been reading other people stuck at the same places until they restarted as a royal and got through all the first levels with relative ease. Might do that as I'd only really be losing one level.

Once you get over the "hump" Demons isn't too bad and you'll be dying a lot less. Maybe about SL 30, I can't remember exactly, you become more than able to deal with most enemies.

Dark Souls is a good bit easier imo, especially at the beginning. You usually have an easy restart for the bosses too where as in Demons you can have a real pain of a run to repeat if you get killed at a boss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

Thanks man but I don't have Dark Souls, just thinking of getting it as it feels like I'll never finish Demon's Souls.

Sorry if that was not clear; I can help with either... About to start new Demons souls playthrough.

Advertisement