Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

chickenboy wrote: »
    That being said, the master key is generally accepted to be the best starting item; i think everything else can be found in-game.

You can get the master in game too! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

You can get the master in game too! ;)

Really? Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

chickenboy wrote: »
    Really? Where?

Master Key in game
    Sold by Domhnall of Zena for 5,000 souls, after he moves to the Bridge in Firelink Shrine.

Master Key in game
    Sold by Domhnall of Zena for 5,000 souls, after he moves to the Bridge in Firelink Shrine.

You learn something new every day! I guess I never looked for it because I've always chosen it as my starting equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

SO running the gauntlet in undead burg now 50 or so deaths, every move i make there seems to be something blocking me, the Tarus boss (which i managed to beat) black knights, one I ran by and ended up in a new unrground area so went back to the castle, then while my estus was empty and a tiny bit of health left a dragon lands on the bridge ....... went to the right and down there and oh great a bonfire :)

Turns out it's the same one I'd been respawning at the last 50 times, how the hell did i not see that ladder the other 50 times I mean it's right there in front of me :mad: /goes to specsavers

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

calex71 wrote: »
    SO running the gauntlet in undead burg now 50 or so deaths, every move i make there seems to be something blocking me, the Tarus boss (which i managed to beat) black knights, one I ran by and ended up in a new unrground area so went back to the castle, then while my estus was empty and a tiny bit of health left a dragon lands on the bridge ....... went to the right and down there and oh great a bonfire :)

Turns out it's the same one I'd been respawning at the last 50 times, how the hell did i not see that ladder the other 50 times I mean it's right there in front of me :mad: /goes to specsavers

You must have kicked down the ladder for it to be there too!

I'll spoiler this in case you're trying to stay blind but if you have a bow
    go under the bridge and shoot off the drgon's tail, you'll get a sword that will make things a bit easier for you in the early stages. You need 16 strength to wield it though.

Hmmmmm ok I got a normal bow thats all the guy had, just farming souls for arrows now, this got me to thinking I could in theory put him down safely from under there not just his tail?????

I mean if there is a massive dragon sitting above a door, whats inside has to be worth having right????? :p

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hmmmmm ok I got a normal bow thats all the guy had, just farming souls for arrows now, this got me to thinking I could in theory put him down safely from under there not just his tail?????

I mean if there is a massive dragon sitting above a door, whats inside has to be worth having right????? :p

You will get in there without killing him but I killed him too. They patched it so you can't kill him with arrows though, once he gets to 25% HP it he will start to regenerate. What I did was go up to the top of the steps when you come up from the bonfire, get him to fly down by shooting him with an arrow, then leg it out and hit him in the head with a two handed attack, then leg it back down the steps before he sprays fire. It will take a while and a bit of getting the hang of it and you'll die a fair bit but you get 30,000 souls for it.
    Get the sword from his tail first though!

If you find it's not working you'll find vids on youtube of how to kill him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'm gunna say what I always say (and be a little bit of a whinger) but in my opinion, the Drake Sword cheapens the game big time! The beauty of Dark Souls is the difficulty!

I remember when I 1st went through Undead Burg, I died 100 times easy, but then after I got through it, when I went back there and found I was destroying the skellys with all my new equipment, the sheer satisfaction :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You will get in there without killing him but I killed him too. They patched it so you can't kill him with arrows though, once he gets to 25% HP it he will start to regenerate. What I did was go up to the top of the steps when you come up from the bonfire, get him to fly down by shooting him with an arrow, then leg it out and hit him in the head with a two handed attack, then leg it back down the steps before he sprays fire. It will take a while and a bit of getting the hang of it and you'll die a fair bit but you get 30,000 souls for it.
    Get the sword from his tail first though!

If you find it's not working you'll find vids on youtube of how to kill him.

i killed him using arrows
    did it yesterday, with an up to date patch, since im always online and connected to the internet with xbox live
    but a week ago i couldnt
    now i can
    it seems like a bad patch tbh:pac:

• Advertisement

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    i killed him using arrows
    did it yesterday, with an up to date patch, since im always online and connected to the internet with xbox live
    but a week ago i couldnt
    now i can
    it seems like a bad patch tbh:pac:

I never tried it with arrows, was only going by what the wikis said, they must have trolled me good :P I wouldn't have had the patience to do it with arrows anyway, Drake Sword took long enough as it was!

about 30 standard arrows to circumcise him :pac:

I never tried it with arrows, was only going by what the wikis said, they must have trolled me good :P I wouldn't have had the patience to do it with arrows anyway, Drake Sword took long enough as it was!

actually in a first playthrough it takes roughly 120-180 arrows to kill him :)
    considering he flys away every time you hit him with an arrow
    also considering you fast hit him 2 times before he flys away and back
    it only really takes less then 10 mins of your time. also depends on how high your dex is :)

as you can see ive put alot of thought into killing him fast :pac: i only do it to get souls fast and into the next area without that dragon annoying me in the future :pac: hate the bleedin thing

Master Key in game

I actually just picked up another one, just after the bore in undead parish, it was on a lootable corpse in the corner just before you climb a ladder, random drop?

Edit: It's description is different to the one I started with "Masterkey: The purpose of this key is unknown. It appears to be a basic prison cell key"

I actually just picked up another one, just after the bore in undead parish, it was on a lootable corpse in the corner just before you climb a ladder, random drop?

nope its always their :)
    but its the most usefull thing to start a character with since all the other stuff is garbage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Started playing this again.
    I'm just a bit ahead of Calex I guess....the dragon is still sitting there...if I approach he burns me up, I was able to get to the steps at the right earlier in the game though.

I've past the church and am at the 2 Gargoyle bosses, they hammer me. I'm about lvl 16.
    So I've just been running around farming to try lvl up, I killed that Black Knight and he gave me a brilliant sword, but I'm too low lvl to use it.

Also, when I was at the church...someone or something came into my game, ran over to me, and killed me instantly !!

Is there anything I'm doing wrong or should be looking to get. I don't have any ranged attacks (arrows) or any magic, I think I have a crossbow though.

Edit: It's description is different to the one I started with "Masterkey: The purpose of this key is unknown. It appears to be a basic prison cell key"

actually my bad

i think you misread the name of the key

does it say mystery key or master key? cause their both two completely different keys :P

master key can be found in the game, i cant remember were, but theirs also a mystery key i believe so either you misread it or you just found the master key again :D

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    actually my bad

i think you misread the name of the key

does it say mystery key or master key? cause their both two completely different keys :P

master key can be found in the game, i cant remember were, but theirs also a mystery key i believe so either you misread it or you just found the master key again :D

Oh I could have actually now you say it,I resorted to farming 4 enemies at the burg bonfire and resetting them to get mucho souls and buying a tonne of fire bombs to see me through the parish, finally got to the bonfire there .......... and forgot to activate it :mad:

I rage quite a half hour ago so wiki'd it and yes form it's location the mystery key was what i picked up and what got me killed as I was heading up the stairs to use it (albeit blindly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

I'm gunna say what I always say (and be a little bit of a whinger) but in my opinion, the Drake Sword cheapens the game big time! The beauty of Dark Souls is the difficulty!

I remember when I 1st went through Undead Burg, I died 100 times easy, but then after I got through it, when I went back there and found I was destroying the skellys with all my new equipment, the sheer satisfaction :D

I remember my second character, I decided to try sorcery I just breezed through the game. The drake sword has nothing on stacked spell loads and being able to keep out of range early in the game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Started playing this again.
    I'm just a bit ahead of Calex I guess....the dragon is still sitting there...if I approach he burns me up, I was able to get to the steps at the right earlier in the game though.

I've past the church and am at the 2 Gargoyle bosses, they hammer me. I'm about lvl 16.
    So I've just been running around farming to try lvl up, I killed that Black Knight and he gave me a brilliant sword, but I'm too low lvl to use it.

Also, when I was at the church...someone or something came into my game, ran over to me, and killed me instantly !!

Is there anything I'm doing wrong or should be looking to get. I don't have any ranged attacks (arrows) or any magic, I think I have a crossbow though.

The best thing to do is become human and summon Solaire to help out with the gargoyle fight. The easiest way to beat them is just block their attacks with a decent shield then attack their tails while they're preoccupied with Solaire.

If you're still having trouble then put down a summon sign by the fog door so you can help someone else out, you lose nothing if you die so its free practice and easy humanity & souls if you win

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    The best thing to do is become human and summon Solaire to help out with the gargoyle fight. The easiest way to beat them is just block their attacks with a decent shield then attack their tails while they're preoccupied with Solaire.

If you're still having trouble then put down a summon sign by the fog door so you can help someone else out, you lose nothing if you die so its free practice and easy humanity & souls if you win

What's a good shield and where to get one ?
    Who or what is Solaire, where do I find him ?

Solaire is a helpful NPC, you should have encountered him just before you crossed the bridge guarded by the dragon; he was the.....slightly odd guy who talked about praising the sun, and if you didn't speak to him, he should still be there.

Once you have talked to him, he offers to partake in some jolly cooperation. Basically, at certain boss fights, his summon sign (a yellow symbol on the floor) will appear near the fog door. If you use it, he'll come and fight by your side for the duration of the boss-fight. This will only happen when you're in human form.

There's also another NPC near the gargoyles, you can free him from a hidden cell. If you do, he'll relocate to Firelink Shrine. You can go talk to him there and he'll also be available to summon.

As for a good shield, you should have gotten the knight shield while passing through Undead Parish. That's as good as you're gonna get at the moment, unless you're willing to either splash out on some souls or else go exploring and almost certainly die!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Heater shield from the undead merchant. 100% phys block and only weighs 2 units. Better off learning to parry and dodge. If you're in the church the knights there drop the balder shield, has a very good stability but weighs 4 units. I'd take atrip into the firest, run past the headless demon and try and get the wolf ring. Poise is your friend.

Solaire was after the taurus demon. Check your inventory, if you have the white soapstone, you've already met him. White soapstone allows you to make yourself avalible as a summon. It's a good way to earn souls\humanity and get a sneak preview of the area's. If you die as a summon you lose nothing, just go back to bonfire.

Have you met andre the blacksmith yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Worth getting this on the PC if I dont' have a console controller to use on the PC. Got about half way through on the PS3 and would love to get back into it now that it is on offer with the steam sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

MOC88 wrote: »
    I remember my second character, I decided to try sorcery I just breezed through the game. The drake sword has nothing on stacked spell loads and being able to keep out of range early in the game!

Actually you're right, I went to +15 Pyromancy Flame very early on, it was so OP I stopped using it!

Actually I can't talk at all, I got the Balder Side Sword very early on in game and used that my whole play through, the thing is an unstoppable beast with a DEX build!!!

Tried to level up to take on the Gargoyles.
    Have no humanity to summon the guy to help anymore.
    On my wanders I ended up near some labyrinth, went through a white light...and then some Capra demon just smashed me in the head.
    So I raged :P

I couldn't handle having to run around looking for a soul to get near human so I can summon assistance

Tried to level up to take on the Gargoyles.
    Have no humanity to summon the guy to help anymore.
    On my wanders I ended up near some labyrinth, went through a white light...and then some Capra demon just smashed me in the head.
    So I raged :P

I couldn't handle having to run around looking for a soul to get near human so I can summon assistance

Put down your own summon sign by the boss door (you can do it when hollow) and if you help someone beat the boss you get humanity. You can do it as many times as you want so its an easy way to earn some quick souls & humanity

Harps wrote: »
    Put down your own summon sign by the boss door (you can do it when hollow) and if you help someone beat the boss you get humanity. You can do it as many times as you want so its an easy way to earn some quick souls & humanity

You can be summoned while you're hollow?!? I had no idea.

You can be summoned while you're hollow?!? I had no idea.

Yeah I only discovered it by accident, I wanted to write a message thinking I had the orange stone equipped but had the white one and it put down a summon sign when I used it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I've just defeated the hydra and followed the lake around to a cave where i was expecting to find a Golden Crystal Golem, but there's no sign of it.
    What am i missing?

Advertisement