Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

You will ideally want to go back to the Undead Asylum to get a certain item before venturing into Blighttown and also for another particular boss in Darkroot Basin.

Also trading with Snuggly can be good for obtaining for certain items.

Tried dropping the rubbish i found into the nest last night but nothing happened, maybe I need to get closer or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Ohhh i have rubbish, what are you supposed to get for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

calex71 wrote: »
    Tried dropping the rubbish i found into the nest last night but nothing happened, maybe I need to get closer or something?

You have to drop it into the nest, then go away, go back to the big nest, fly back to lordon, then come back and the item will appear, snuggly will say something and that basicly means it works, if it doesnt work that way (it didnt for me) drop it into the small nest, exit the game, come back and it will be their for you, i find that faster tbh

also make sure its in the nest, not a little on the edge of it because that could affect it from not working
    weiland79 wrote: »
    Ohhh i have rubbish, what are you supposed to get for it?

titnite chunk i think it is?

It's titanite, i was using the wrong nest :p

Quit from the menu and load game, will spawn you back at the nest and you can pick up rewards.

Oh and
    of course I fell through the floor and landed in with the demon
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

It's titanite, i was using the wrong nest :p

Quit from the menu and load game, will spawn you back at the nest and you can pick up rewards.

Oh and
    of course I fell through the floor and landed in with the demon
    :p

hes a very hard boss :P i died like 40 times facing him haha

until i found out an easy way to beat him :pac: of course the help came from here :D i wont tell you how :pac: although you'd probably have better luck beating him then i did:D

• Advertisement

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    hes a very hard boss :P i died like 40 times facing him haha

until i found out an easy way to beat him :pac: of course the help came from here :D i wont tell you how :pac: although you'd probably have better look beating him then i did:D

Well on my way exploring my old cell and picking up what was there I could see him in his arena and there was a gap but dont think i can climb in, i supect I can drop and rb him stabby stabby, actually is there any need to kill him other than for the souls because i think i have the key he drops already :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Well on my way exploring my old cell and picking up what was there I could see him in his arena and there was a gap but dont think i can climb in, i supect I can drop and rb him stabby stabby, actually is there any need to kill him other than for the souls because i think i have the key he drops already :confused:

He drops a titanite slab when you kill him. You'll need this if you want to upgrade any equipment to +15, and as far as I know, it's one of only two guaranteed ways to get one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

he's actually very straightforward if you learn his moves although he gave me a ****ing metric **** ton of trouble for a long time when I first met him
    when you first drop down run to the nearest corner immediately, take an estus and then you can start the fight.
    speed is key to beating him. run in, slash 2 maybe 3 times then run away around the back. always keep to the back of him and give him a wide berth when you see him powering up his giant fart attack. after he releases that you can run in and give him a few slaps but if it hits you it hurts pretty bad. his moves are all quite slow so if you dont have any light armour to keep you under 25% just wear no armour, as I said.. speed is whats important here. you'll always see him powering up his attacks and if you keep around the back of him (and watch out for his fart attack) you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Equipping Oscar's Crest Shield for Magic Resist and if you have a faith build - Magic Barrier is very useful when fighting the Stray Demon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

chickenboy wrote: »
    He drops a titanite slab when you kill him. You'll need this if you want to upgrade any equipment to +15, and as far as I know, it's one of only two guaranteed ways to get one!

There's 3 if you follow the siegmeyer quest to the end. The other is by the waterfall in the kalameet area. Also in farming for chunks in new londo, you'll get the odd slab every now and then. Slabs drops are all down to luck really, in 1 build on my first run with base item discovery(100) i got 2 slabs, took me ages to get another later on with max item discovery(410).

As for the asylum demon
    Bring the crest shield you got from the knight, even though his AOE attack looks like Fire, its actually magic based, he's very weak against bleed weapons and can be bleed very easilly. Fall control can be handy for the start of the fight, as the fall will knock off a good bit of HP

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

With max item discovery I was getting a slab every 4 or 5 runs through lower new londo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

In over 50 hours of playing I had no idea I could go back to the Undead Asylum! Must try it once I get Anor Londo out of the way

Mickeroo wrote: »
    With max item discovery I was getting a slab every 4 or 5 runs through lower new londo.

i did 15-20 runs through new londo once with 410 item discovery

didn't get a single slab

did another 10 runs in my next game.... not a single slab

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Harps wrote: »
    In over 50 hours of playing I had no idea I could go back to the Undead Asylum! Must try it once I get Anor Londo out of the way
    Thats what i did and got the Doll to get through the painting in Anor Londo

Also I've been putting off the Stray Demon for long enough. Tonight we fight!:o:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I got this in the steam sale. I never got past the Taurus Demon when I used my cousin's version. When I get back to that point, I may recruit some of you to help me out :p

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i did 15-20 runs through new londo once with 410 item discovery

didn't get a single slab

did another 10 runs in my next game.... not a single slab

I must have been lucky so, i was doing it to get the achievement for leveling up lightning weapons and whatever other ones require a slab. Maybe they've patched it since to make them more common?

nah this was only a month or two ago, i was late to the dark souls party

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I got that tail off the gargoyle, but it's not as good as the Black Sword from the Knight at the bottom of the Burg , that does 220 dmg.
    Also, the Boar Helm I got off the armored pig is deadly :D

Is that Black Sword better than the Drake Sword, that Drake Sword seems to have something special about it? There is some symbol under my health and stamina bars when its equipped.

Is that Boar Helm better than the Crimson armor?

I really have no idea what I am doing in this game, I want to write down a message saying such, but Its only set messages than can be left isn't it? (judging by the messages I have seen so far anyways).

I am at the Gargoyles, and only made one attempt at beating them, got killed. I must say while I enjoy the game, the fact that I have no idea what the plot is or where or what I am doing after about 6 or 7 hours of gameplay, is a bit odd.

I have the Crimson armor set and using the Drake sword, and an ordinary shield. I should kill those Gargoyles before going any further?

I killed some headless, missing one leg stoney guy firing lightening in the Undead Parish, should I keep going through the area he was guarding?

you have to talk to people and/or read item descriptions to figure the world out

at the start you have to ring two bells of awakening
    one is behind those gargoyles so keep going

after that.. explore and listen

I really think wikis are your best friend with this game. Wouldn't have stuck with it without them tbh.

• Advertisement

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Is that Black Sword better than the Drake Sword, that Drake Sword seems to have something special about it? There is some symbol under my health and stamina bars when its equipped.

Is that Boar Helm better than the Crimson armor?

I really have no idea what I am doing in this game, I want to write down a message saying such, but Its only set messages than can be left isn't it? (judging by the messages I have seen so far anyways).

I am at the Gargoyles, and only made one attempt at beating them, got killed. I must say while I enjoy the game, the fact that I have no idea what the plot is or where or what I am doing after about 6 or 7 hours of gameplay, is a bit odd.

I have the Crimson armor set and using the Drake sword, and an ordinary shield. I should kill those Gargoyles before going any further?

I killed some headless, missing one leg stoney guy firing lightening in the Undead Parish, should I keep going through the area he was guarding?

The drake sword is great at first, but it doesn't scale with any of your stats. Once you start upgrading weapons, it'll quickly be outclassed. (To tell what weapon scales with what, look at the stats for it. Towards the bottom, you'll see a series of boxes with A, D etc below them. This is what stat the weapon scales with, and by how mush. So if you have an A under strength and a D under dexterity, it scales well with strength and less so with dex). The black knight sword, once upgraded, is a viable weapon to carry on with until the end of the game, you were lucky to get it dropped so early!

You have to kill the gargoyles to progress along the story, they guard the first bell you have to ring.

To leave messages, you need to buy the orange guidance soapstone, sold by the merchant in the burg. You can only leave set messages, you do this by pressing select (on the PS3 anyway!)

I hope this helps; I'd try and stay away from wikis, they can spoil the game quite quickly. The online community is quite helpful, and are generally able to give spoiler-free advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Drake sword is good up to a point, drake sword is fixed damage. at the start it's got high damage but will never increase as your stats increase. Black Knight sword is good at the start but i found it slow and it's R2 is horrible. If you pick this up you'll be going for a strength build.

As for headless guy, sure go a head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Black Knight sword is good at the start but i found it slow and it's R2 is horrible. If you pick this up you'll be going for a strength build.

Will switch to that sword so, and go for a strength build.
    As for headless guy, sure go a head.

Is that the correct way to go after the Gargoyles, or is there no correct way?

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Is that the correct way to go after the Gargoyles, or is there no correct way?

The garden will be optional for you at this point; there's some great items to be found, but some challenging enemies too. If you have 20k souls to spare after the gargoyle fight, you can buy an item from the blacksmith that would allow you to do some easy soul farming.

In terms of progression, your next destination is the depths and blighttown, where you'll find the second bell. You'll get a key from the gargoyles once you kill them, and this will open a door you passed just before the dragon bridge.

I had more issues with getting into the depths than with the gargoyles the
    capra demon
    was such a pain, would have been a breeze if not for the dogs and tight quarters........ again like some other things in this game the solution was simple once you spot it.

For all it's frustration the sense of achievement you get from doing even minor things in this game is fantastic.

Well now I'm cursed .........again but thankfully I now know my away around and have all the short cuts unlocked in the depths, I have my helper (Miss Calex) farming souls for more purging stones right now as I'm on a "rage" break :rolleyes:

I had more issues with getting into the depths than with the gargoyles the
    capra demon
    was such a pain, would have been a breeze if not for the dogs and tight quarters........ again like some other things in this game the solution was simple once you spot it.

For all it's frustration the sense of achievement you get from doing even minor things in this game is fantastic.

Well now I'm cursed .........again but thankfully I now know my away around and have all the short cuts unlocked in the depths, I have my helper (Miss Calex) farming souls for more purging stones right now as I'm on a "rage" break :rolleyes:

Unless you want your rage to grow tenfold, invest in some purple moss and blooming purple moss before you continue past the depths. It'll be worth it.

Unless you want your rage to grow tenfold, invest in some purple moss and blooming purple moss before you continue past the depths. It'll be worth it.

Aren't those just for poison though???

Aren't those just for poison though???

Yup. Well the purple ones are, the blooming ones are for toxic. You'll need them soon enough once you get past the boss in the depths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Yup. Well the purple ones are, the blooming ones are for toxic. You'll need them soon enough once you get past the boss in the depths.

If you get hit with toxic just kill as many of the blow dart ####ers you can, once they're dead they don't come back and if you;re already hit by toxic you can't get toxiced again while its active so be careful with how you spend your items!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Make sure you pick up the Spider Shield in the Depths as well, it has 100% poison resistance which comes in handy, the Shadow Armour has good resistance as well. Once you find where the boss is in the Depths its easy enough, you can get to him from the bonfire without having to pass any enemies other than one little rat. He's simple enough as well if you summon someone to help

I didn't have any trouble really with the blow darters
    other than the ones at the end guarding the Fire Keeper Soul
    . Once you see one just make it your sole aim to get to him and kill him and you don't have to worry about them any more

Advertisement