Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Making good progress, had an american guy join me earlier and offer a lot of great advice and help, after Londo we did catacombs and pinwheel, back on my own now and wondering where to go next I'm assuming main plot is to go back to demon ruins but I think i have a fair few options open to me so I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

calex71 wrote: »
    Making good progress, had an american guy join me earlier and offer a lot of great advice and help, after Londo we did catacombs and pinwheel, back on my own now and wondering where to go next I'm assuming main plot is to go back to demon ruins but I think i have a fair few options open to me so I'm not sure.

Sif if you haven;t already and then finish off nito would be my progression - although if you're a mage seth would probably be better to go for so ou can get some of the crystal spells from logan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

actually learning how to parry properly is quite helpful

this time when I went back to the undead asylum I just lolparried the silver/black knights into oblivion. was so simple

although weirdly the stray demon gave me lots of trouble this time around, despite being so damn simple the 2 times before.

Ok so sent Sif to woflie heaven on my 1st attempt with my new furysword :)

What should I make from the soul???? Shield looks like a great one but maybe the cursed sword?

Edit: NOte I said 1st attempt WITH the furysword and a fully kindled fire :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Absolution from the guy in undead parish on the roof of the church it ain't cheap at lvl 57 It cost me 29k, not sure if that will brng the cat back though it wil keep them lads from pursuing you.

Well that did the trick but 10 minutes later I was back in the area and randomly got 2000 souls, lo and behold everyone is trying to attack me again and I've supposedly betrayed the covenant. Seems its a known bug whereby one of the forest hunters falls off a cliff and I get the blame :rolleyes:

90 minutes of tedious soul farming for nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

What should I make from the soul???? Shield looks like a great one but maybe the cursed sword?

Just so you know, the two swords (Cursed and non-Cursed) requires all four requirements of Strength, Dex, Intelligence and Faith so for the requirements needed the swords are probably not the better option.

I always go for the shield as it has the best stability in the game, even better than havels.
    Harps wrote:
    Well that did the trick but 10 minutes later I was back in the area and randomly got 2000 souls, lo and behold everyone is trying to attack me again and I've supposedly betrayed the covenant. Seems its a known bug whereby one of the forest hunters falls off a cliff and I get the blame

Did you go up to Alvina after requesting absolution to try rejoin the covenant? As soon as you betray a covenant you get kicked out so after requesting absolution you have to rejoin again. So when you requested absolution and went back to the forest they would attack you on sight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

The Greatshield, it has ridiculous stability, it makes a lot of fight so much easier, in particular Artorias. Even on NG++ he wasn't able to come close to getting through it.

Did you go up to Alvina after requesting absolution to try rejoin the covenant? As soon as you betray a covenant you get kicked out so after requesting absolution you have to rejoin again. So when you requested absolution and went back to the forest they would attack you on sight anyway.

Yeah I talked to the cat again and everything was fine. I beat the Hydra then went up the big ladder and when I got to the top I got 2000 souls for nothing so one of the covenant guys must have fallen off a cliff

I beat Sif last night so hopefully that's me done in the forest

Whats the deal with the worms guarding the chest in demon ruins?????

They broke everything i had equipped even my bow :eek:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Whats the deal with the worms guarding the chest in demon ruins?????

They broke everything i had equipped even my bow :eek:

If you get your weight down and leg it you'll get to the chest without them hitting you (provided they haven't already popped out). they'll all be facing the wrong way to hurt you then iirc and even if you die you'll still have the loot. What ever the spray at you will break your equiped weapons so stay well back and spam them with arrows. They occasionally drop some titanite (I think maybe green or red) when they die so it's worth farming them too.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If you get your weight down and leg it you'll get to the chest without them hitting you (provided they haven't already popped out). they'll all be facing the wrong way to hurt you then iirc and even if you die you'll still have the loot. What ever the spray at you will break your equiped weapons so stay well back and spam them with arrows. They occasionally drop some titanite (I think maybe green or red) when they die so it's worth farming them too.

Yup green it was :)

Mickeroo wrote: »

They single handedly convinced me to move to the halbred!

Quick one re: the everlasting dragon, I can lop off his tail with no repercussions and he will not get mad??????? And do I need to enter the covenant first?

Quick one re: the everlasting dragon, I can lop off his tail with no repercussions and he will not get mad??????? And do I need to enter the covenant first?

Nope you don't need to enter the convenant, he just sits there doing nothing saying nothing. You can't kill him either strangely enough... although after my experiences with the red dragon this is probably a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

In the undead parish at the moment and had a few goes at the bell gargoyle without any luck. Have the uchigatana equipped. Do I just need to get in close and around the back of him?
    To bed now anyway, one for tomorrow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

GK1001 wrote: »
    In the undead parish at the moment and had a few goes at the bell gargoyle without any luck. Have the uchigatana equipped. Do I just need to get in close and around the back of him?

Hack the tail off either of them to get the weapon, other than that hit, dodge and whither their health away.

Hit a bit of a brick wall last night, made my choice regards the lordvessel which i assume effects the ending, so decided to go to tomb of the giants having major trouble getting from patches to the second bonfire, any suggestions?

I was using a divine sword but soon realised that the fury sword actually kept the skeletons from getting back up, even though everywhere says you need to use divine ??? Should I go elsewhere and come back here later?

I'm also starting to wonder about leveling up, I'm at 66 with 20 in vit and end, 22 str 24 dex, and 14 in faith and intel, and 20 end.

I have the ring that breaks if you take it off that boosts vit. and end. on it's just that it's getting to a point where it will be taking more and more souls to level so want to spend them wisely, I'm also very conscious of the fact that if i level to high I may block myself from summoning help from lower level players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

GK1001 wrote: »

If you released Lautrec from the Prison cell in the church, you can go back to Firelink, claim a reward (don't kill him), and go back to the gargoyles, and as human there will be a summon sign for him. There will also always be a summon sign for solaire if you are human. They signs are just near the fog gate.

I'm guessing you didn't get the gargoyle past 50%. Teehee. No reason.

Hit a bit of a brick wall last night, made my choice regards the lordvessel which i assume effects the ending

Suprisingly it doesn't!
    having major trouble getting from patches to the second bonfire, any suggestions?

Do you have the skull lantern, Sunlight Maggot helmet or Cast Light spell to see in the dark better? IIRC, the second bonfire should be to the left of the room with about 3 skeleton dogs? Just hug the wall. If not then it could be to the left where there is a big skeleton and skeleton dog close together.
    I was using a divine sword but soon realised that the fury sword actually kept the skeletons from getting back up, even though everywhere says you need to use divine ??? Should I go elsewhere and come back here later?

Tomb of the Giants doesn't require a divine weapon because there are no Necromancers around. The reason it was needed in the Catacombs was because the Necro's keep summoning the skeletons again. So you would either have to use a divine weapon to kill skeletons or kill the Necromancer first and then use any weapon you want to kill skeletons. You will need a Divine Weapon to kill Nito's minions though.
    I'm also starting to wonder about leveling up, I'm at 66 with 20 in vit and end, 22 str 24 dex, and 14 in faith and intel, and 20 end.I have the ring that breaks if you take it off that boosts vit. and end. on it's just that it's getting to a point where it will be taking more and more souls to level so want to spend them wisely, I'm also very conscious of the fact that if i level to high I may block myself from summoning help from lower level players.

What weapon do you have and are you using miracles/sorceries/pyromancy?

I wouldn't worry too much from the summoning, lower level players will have plenty of people to summon and vice versa for you. Just level up what you have to

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hit a bit of a brick wall last night, made my choice regards the lordvessel which i assume effects the ending, so decided to go to tomb of the giants having major trouble getting from patches to the second bonfire, any suggestions?

I'm also starting to wonder about leveling up, I'm at 66 with 20 in vit and end, 22 str 24 dex, and 14 in faith and intel, and 20 end.

I have the ring that breaks if you take it off that boosts vit. and end. on it's just that it's getting to a point where it will be taking more and more souls to level so want to spend them wisely, I'm also very conscious of the fact that if i level to high I may block myself from summoning help from lower level players.

What are you using for light? I wouldn't go near tomb of the giants without a sunlight maggot tbh. Most horrible part of the game by far. If you have a decent light source though you can run like hell without engaging any enemies after patches if you get sick of it.

Also the skeletons will stop getting up if you've killed all the necromancers in the catacombs regardless of weapon.

For levelling up, I can't remember what I was at that point but once I decided on the Iaito as my main weapon I started pumping everything into dex until I had it in the forties. Then I started beefing up vit and end. If you have a weapon you like concentrate on whatever it scales with I think.

Oh and, I'll spoiler this in case you want to stay blind but regarding altering the ending
    no matter what you do you can still choose either of the two endings when you beat the final boss

• Advertisement

I'm alternating between qualaags fury sword and a +10 iaito , grass shield or eagle depending on the area, use power within when I go heavy and basically tank.

I;ve had rotten luck with NPS the latest one is Rhea, i got the miracle from her but accidentally aggro her when defending myself in the pit, will this stop her spawning in undead parish? She said something like "Why on earth would you…
    Perhaps this is my punishment?" :mad:

The Furysword scales with Humanity so you don't require stats in STR/DEX for damage output (only what you need to wield it), only your soft humanity (the counter on the top left). If you're using this as a main weapon then you don't need to pump any stats into STR/DEX

If you want more damage output with your Iaito +10, then go for DEX. If you plan on turning it into a chaos or lightning Iaito then you don't need to put any stats into STR/DEX as it loses it's scaling (Chaos will scale with humanity, lightning loses scaling in favour of high base damage+high lightning damage)

If you are using Miracles or Sorceries, pump stats into that you require to get Miracles/Sorceries you want.

Anything else, I would pump souls into Vitality or Endurance. Attunement if you want more attunements slots for more Sorceries/Miracles/Pyromancies

I've been pumping all my points into DEX, END and VIT, haven't touched any of the other stats since the start other than getting strength to 16 and 1 in attunement so I could use pyromancy, using the Iaito since early on so DEX is all I need.

I'm trying to find a good armour combo now I've almost maxed my weight capacity, Iaito, Bow and Hollow Shield weigh a combined 10.5 points so that leaves about 10 for armour to stay under 25%. I've been using the Wanderer Set since early on but I have a bit of extra capacity now so gonna experiment with different combos later before I tackle New Londo

Harps wrote: »
    I've been pumping all my points into DEX, END and VIT, haven't touched any of the other stats since the start other than getting strength to 16 and 1 in attunement so I could use pyromancy, using the Iaito since early on so DEX is all I need.

I'm trying to find a good armour combo now I've almost maxed my weight capacity, Iaito, Bow and Hollow Shield weigh a combined 10.5 points so that leaves about 10 for armour to stay under 25%. I've been using the Wanderer Set since early on but I have a bit of extra capacity now so gonna experiment with different combos later before I tackle New Londo

I used the gold hemmed set a lot, and then when I go heavy I pop on havels ring to keep me mobile, though I have found so far if i need to put on that kind of armor I'm generally getting up close and not looking to get away so use iron flesh and power within pyros (i have 2 attunment slots only had to spent one level to get 2), thats the way I went with the last 2 boss fights , buff and plough in two-handed ...... this would not have been effective in many situations but against Nito and the 4 kings it made bits of them on the 2nd attempts, 1st attempt is always a lottery while you sus out a bosses moves :) ,

There was another set I got earlier, that seemed to offer a good balance between weight and stats it was gold knights armor but can't recall it's proper name, favored set maybe? :confused:

This actually got me to thinking, is it best to use a full set or are there different mix and match combos that are better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I searched all of New Londo Ruins and there seems to be nowhere to go. There was one locked door I couldn't get through though, how do I open it? Not sure where to go next otherwise. The Garden place was too tough previously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Just about to launch into this for the first time, haven't played Demon's Souls either, any beginners tips? Think I'm liking the sound of pyromancer to start with. Is it worth taking the master key as your gift or does that confuse things a bit?

Just about to launch into this for the first time, haven't played Demon's Souls either, any beginners tips? Think I'm liking the sound of pyromancer to start with. Is it worth taking the master key as your gift or does that confuse things a bit?

Take the key !!!!!!!!
    Grimebox wrote: »
    I searched all of New Londo Ruins and there seems to be nowhere to go. There was one locked door I couldn't get through though, how do I open it? Not sure where to go next otherwise. The Garden place was too tough previously

Did you come to a room before the locked door full of ghosts??? you have to go to the fireplace there and up a ladder there will be a guy on the roof with a key. if you come out of that place with the door look across and you will see the building I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Did you come to a room before the locked door full of ghosts??? you have to go to the fireplace there and up a ladder there will be a guy on the roof with a key. if you come out of that place with the door look across and you will see the building I mean.

I came across that guy. Does he sell the key or should I kill him? He seemed rather useless at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Grimebox wrote: »
    I came across that guy. Does he sell the key or should I kill him? He seemed rather useless at the time

You need to have gotten the lord vessel. If you don't have it, kill him and he'll drop a key.

• Advertisement

Shouldn't he need the lordvessel to go on ? How do you get out of the abyss otherwise :confused:

Edit : Suppose you could bone home , wasn't thinking about that :D

Advertisement