Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

The Lordvessel will allow the player to warp between bonfires, just by possessing it.

I have a new mission. That sounds unbelievably handy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

You can warp from any bonfire, however you cannot warp to any bonfire. Only certain bonfires in certain locations will be warp-able. Mainly the main bonfire areas will be warp-able and also any covenant area's that have a bonfire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

So I'm starting as a pyromancer, need to take on the asylum demon, can I not use my fireball spell yet or what's the story with it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

So I'm starting as a pyromancer, need to take on the asylum demon, can I not use my fireball spell yet or what's the story with it??

Do you ahve your flame equipeed? SOrry I'm not sure what starting with the pyromancer is meant to be like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Figured it out. Had to press right a second time once I equipped the flame thing. I was pressing up to where the fireball spell was places. D'oh. Doesn't explain a lot this game...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

prepare to have your spirit crushed;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Doesn't explain a lot this game...

I just passed the 100 hour mark and i still haven't a clue :D

You need to have gotten the lord vessel. If you don't have it, kill him and he'll drop a key.

DO NOT KILL HIM!!! He sells stuff and you don't need the key for ages yet

weiland79 wrote: »
    I just passed the 100 hour mark and i still haven't a clue :D

Then theres the stuff you forget 5 minutes in like jumping attacks and parrying

Do people generally not leave summon signs for the 4 kings? haven't been able to get help at all.

• Advertisement

Just about to launch into this for the first time, haven't played Demon's Souls either, any beginners tips? Think I'm liking the sound of pyromancer to start with. Is it worth taking the master key as your gift or does that confuse things a bit?

Roll, roll and roll some more.

Equipped Armour above 50% will slow you down.

You have finite slots for magic or pyromancy but you can expand those with attunement.

Do people generally not leave summon signs for the 4 kings? haven't been able to get help at all.

You can pretty much dodge all their attacks with rolling except for the circle attack use your shield but be careful of the grab attack. The key is speed

I've just gone and made my Iato a lightning weapon and am using havels armor. I was i'd say two hits off finishing them using gold resin and this armor on my last run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

See my post a page or 2 back as to how I tanked them solo!!!!!! Mucho satisfaction there , out of all the bosses I've faced so far they have the weirdest hit boxes , found the only way I could do any damage was from range or right on top of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

MOC88 wrote: »
    Then theres the stuff you forget 5 minutes in like jumping attacks and parrying

Hem...yeah...about that parrying...how do I do that again?
    Just the 20 hrs in...actually don't know what to do next.
    Rang the 1st bell and then went wandering a bit. Found darkroot garden/basin and picked up some leather armour (any use?) and a grass shield (seems decent). Immediately killed by a black knight so back to undead parish. Decided to go back to those skeletons in fire link shrine and killed a few of them and got a big bastard sword zweihander (no use to me) and then got killed. I have keys for the undead burg but can't think of where I'd use them...don't know what to do next to be honest...maybe back to darkroot?... And don't forget my original Q about parrying:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The Lower Undead Burg is the best place to go next, you can get there from a door at the start of the bridge with the big dragon on it. If you have the master key you can go straight there from the room just across from the Undead Burg Bonfire where the three skeletons are. From the Lower Burg you can reach the Depths and Blighttown to ring the second bell

Parry by tapping LT/L2 right before you're about to be hit then hit R1 for a critical stab. Takes a bit of practice and its not too important for the enemies early in the game but when you come up against some tougher enemies it can make fights far easier

GK1001 wrote: »
    Hem...yeah...about that parrying...how do I do that again?
    Just the 20 hrs in...actually don't know what to do next.
    Rang the 1st bell and then went wandering a bit. Found darkroot garden/basin and picked up some leather armour (any use?) and a grass shield (seems decent). Immediately killed by a black knight so back to undead parish. Decided to go back to those skeletons in fire link shrine and killed a few of them and got a big bastard sword zweihander (no use to me) and then got killed. I have keys for the undead burg but can't think of where I'd use them...don't know what to do next to be honest...maybe back to darkroot?... And don't forget my original Q about parrying:o

Are you me?!

I think the Depths is the next place you need to go. Go back to Undead Burg, entering it from the start. There is a locked door just after the Taurus Demon, near the dragon. With any luck you will have the same key I did (no idea where I got it) and that will lead to the lower Undead Burg and on to the Depths. That's where I am now. I had two "WTF?!" moments down there so far...

I echo your questions about parrying... I know how to do it, but whats the point? Risk damage to stun an enemy or just wait for an opening? It seems like a fast track to getting myself killed by standard enemies. To do it, hold down block (L1) and then press L2 as your enemy attacks. It should stun them and leave them open to attack if you time it right. Fairly useless imo since the timing is not easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Found the parry/riposte moves were the only way to take out some of the enemies early on , like the guys with spears and shields and black knights, the problem with it is every enemy has different timing !!!!!! which is why it's a risk.

The grass shield you picked up has a nice buff too, even works if you have it equipped and you are fighting 2 handed and its on your back.

As harps saids go to the lower burg / depths but for your sanity have the wiki to hand as the 1st time there can be a nightmare, i spent such a long time there lost and dieing the bonfire was the last place I found , and it's one of the 1st areas you can get to :o

You can stack the Grass Crest Shield + Mask of the Child + Cloranthy ring for super stamina regeneration (about 60% extra total). I think then you can even consume a Green blossom also potentially giving you 80-100% extra stamina regeneration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Grimebox wrote: »
    Are you me?!
    I echo your questions about parrying... I know how to do it, but whats the point? Risk damage to stun an enemy or just wait for an opening? It seems like a fast track to getting myself killed by standard enemies. To do it, hold down block (L1) and then press L2 as your enemy attacks. It should stun them and leave them open to attack if you time it right. Fairly useless imo since the timing is not easy.

Wouldn't agree with that at all, I'd go as far as to say its one of the most useful tactics in the game against some enemies (Silver Knights being one). The best way to get good at it is find an enemy right next to a bonfire to practice on

And yeah wiki's are your best friend for this game, they might spoil a few things but really I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing without them

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree with that at all, I'd go as far as to say its one of the most useful tactics in the game against some enemies (Silver Knights being one). The best way to get good at it is find an enemy right next to a bonfire to practice on

And yeah wiki's are your best friend for this game, they might spoil a few things but really I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing without them

Please educate me then! Why is it so useful against Silver Knights? I seem to do alright with waiting for them to miss/blocking their attacks

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Never used parrying myself, seems like a needless risk as the timing was so hard to call imo. Much easier to put your shield up, wait for a gap, slash and back off. Silver knights can be back stabbed very easily if you go in close and keep strafing, when they do a lunge attack they're completely exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Parry by hitting L2 just as the enemy is thrusting their weapon towards you.
    You do not need to be blocking with your shield to do it, in fact, the game has some daggers/swords/weapons that are made for parrying too, not just shields.

If your parry is successful you will hear a special sound effect and the enemy will be stunned.
    Hitting R1 while the enemy is stunned will preform a riposte, a highly damaging attack (More powerful than a backstab I think).
    Some enemies can't be parried, for instance the early spear + shield guys I can never parry, so I assume it isn't possible.

Another tip is kicking. The spear + shield guys for instance, they sometimes stand there with shields up not letting you get any decent damage on them.
    If you press UP + R1 at the exact same time your character preforms a kick, which breaks the enemy shield stance, allowing for you to attack them.

Some enemies are much easier to parry than others, the knights are easier to parry than the damn hollows!

It's mainly just practice though, a tip on it is to watch the enemies hand and not their weapon. So parry when you see the hand and not the weapon.

If you do co-op, you can actually practice parrying with your phantom/host.

Trying to get Titanite Chunks and am using the big elite guards in the great hall in Anor Londo but there drop rate isn't very good. I didn't know till yesterday that your Humanity directly effects your discovery so i'm off to farm humanity tonight but does it matter if i'm hollow or not for my discovery level to go up?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Trying to get Titanite Chunks and am using the big elite guards in the great hall in Anor Londo but there drop rate isn't very good. I didn't know till yesterday that your Humanity directly effects your discovery so i'm off to farm humanity tonight but does it matter if i'm hollow or not for my discovery level to go up?

To get max discovery you'll need the covetous gold serpant ring, be human (I think) and have 10 humanity consumed. so the counter in the top left should say 10. Just be careful not to venture into areas you haven't beaten the boss yet as you'll get invaded.

Also farm in New London ruins, best place to farm titinate chunks as the Darkwraiths drop them commonly enough if you have the Gold Covetous Ring equipped+ humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Their drop rate is pretty poor plus there's only 2 of them. Just go to new londo and farm the wraiths. They've a good drop rate, there's 10 of them and they sometimes drop slabs. Easy to parry and backstab too. Drop rate doesn't matter if alive or hollow, just the humanity counter and the ring.

Their drop rate is pretty poor plus there's only 2 of them. Just go to new londo and farm the wraiths. They've a good drop rate, there's 10 of them and they sometimes drop slabs. Easy to parry and backstab too. Drop rate doesn't matter if alive or hollow, just the humanity counter and the ring.

Grand so i have the ring does your man in new londo have an unlimited supply of transient curses for sale?

• Advertisement

Grand so i have the ring does your man in new londo have an unlimited supply of transient curses for sale?

The one in the aquaduct who sells moss should have some too. If your discovery is high the ghosts should drop transient curses fairly regularly anyway so don't buy too many.

You only need to use one each run anyway as you can take a shortcut around upper new londo and drop straight into the ruins.

Getting back is the problem, the handiest I found was once you had killed all the darkwraiths head for the abyss where you fought The Four Kings then warp from there back to firelaink shrine and start again.

Advertisement