Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

krudler wrote: »
    I have indeed, leathered him with a crystal halberd. I think the only places I have left are New Londo and Lost Izalith, was already there but got killed by those huge things in the chamber stomping around.

Did you get the DLC? I'd definitely recommend it if not, probably my favourite part of the game

There's also the Great Hollow, Ash Lake and the Darkmoon Tomb that are behind illusiory walls, I totally missed them until right at the end when I checked to see if I'd been everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Harps wrote: »
    Did you get the DLC? I'd definitely recommend it if not, probably my favourite part of the game

There's also the Great Hollow, Ash Lake and the Darkmoon Tomb that are behind illusiory walls, I totally missed them until right at the end when I checked to see if I'd been everywhere

Been to both of them, not the Darkmoon Tomb though where's that?

Anor Londo, its only a small area but you can become a Blade of the Darkmoon and invade sinners. There's an optional boss fight as well though its quite an annoying one

Anor Londo, its only a small area but you can become a Blade of the Darkmoon and invade sinners. There's an optional boss fight as well though its quite an annoying one

Is that Gwyndolin? I killed Gywnevere alright it's all dark now

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Would you believe I actually had a preowned copy in my hand earlier today and decided against it, I think I need to play something that's a breeze next :pac: I'll def give it a try as I did get it on it's original release and didn't give it a chance. I might get the Dark Souls dlc as well since I got the regular edition not the Prepare To Die one (raging now as zavvi.com have a really cool steelbook version).

edit: Demon's Souls is 8.99 now if you're a psn+ member, 9.99 otherwise. Purchased :D

Awesome :)

Dark Souls DLC is defo worth it. Couple of great boss fights and good pvp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Just found this. Makes some sense of the the Darkroot/New Londo/Oolacile connection!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/6829f0bea797ffb0c62a6a13d07723c6/tumblr_mgkwx3PMB01reegn2o1_1280.png

Fucking Bed of Chaos :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I haven't a clue about this game but I'm looking for a game to sink time into over Christmas and this looks cool. I've read that it's fairly unforgiving though, so how hard exactly is it? Is there any links that a complete Dark Souls newbie should look at before playing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

It isn't really hard, it's got a long learning curve. IMO you're better off going into the game blind and figuring everything out for yourself and asking for snippets of advice when you hit a block.

Beat it, thank fcuk for that, what an absolute pain in the ass, getting the two orange shield things was a piece of piss but I took too long getting to the centre and died when all the fire exploded out from under me

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    I haven't a clue about this game but I'm looking for a game to sink time into over Christmas and this looks cool. I've read that it's fairly unforgiving though, so how hard exactly is it? Is there any links that a complete Dark Souls newbie should look at before playing it?

I only got it a few weeks ago and here has been a great help, there's a good wiki about the game as well as it's not hugely noob friendly. There's a ton of stuff you'd never figure out without some pointers or guides.

Being unprepared and feeling like you're never going to progress is part of the atmosphere of the game though. It is difficult, but rarely unfair. If you die its usually your own fault, either from rushing (guilty) not paying attention (guilty) or thinking you're a badass cos you waltzed through a part only for the game to utterly demolish you in the next (guilty!).
    It's definitely tough, especially starting, but the more you get to grips with the mechanics and world the more prepared you become, and once you start making real progress you relish fighting the bigger enemies instead of strolling through the early areas destroying everything.

It's hugely rewarding though, and the more you put in the more you get from it in the higher levels. Put it this way, the first major boss you fight is a gigantic demon on a bridge, it took me about 5-6 attempts to kill him in the beginning, later in the game you fight the same demons in an area with three of them in the one place and it took 6 hits of a sword to kill all three.

satisfying.
    as.
    fuck. :D

Arrrgh, I lost a pile of souls in the New Londo Ruins, and on the way to get them I mistimed a jump and rolled off a bloody ledge, 65k down the drain :(

Arrrgh, I lost a pile of souls in the New Londo Ruins, and on the way to get them I mistimed a jump and rolled off a bloody ledge, 65k down the drain :(

The anxiety you feel when you have to retrieve your souls never leaves. My pvp Mage has over 2 million souls that I have no real use for but still couldn't bear to lose.

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    The anxiety you feel when you have to retrieve your souls never leaves. My pvp Mage has over 2 million souls that I have no real use for but still couldn't bear to lose.

It's not too bad if it's in an area you know well but it was in this stupid room under where you meet the dude on the roof who gives you the key to the seal. there was a fireplace I climbed up and legged it, didn't figure I'd be going back through there, bah.

the Lost Izalith part wasn't so bad could easily run past most of the enemies, those gigantic things in the main chamber didn't notice you unless you went right near them so once the path was figured out was easy get around. Was handy that dying during the Bed of Chaos fight didn't respawn the orange blob shields on either side. I was RAGING after I figured out that I had to run up the middle and get under the ceature, went all the way back, mistimed the jump and instead rolled right into the hole, could have cried lol.

It's not too bad if it's in an area you know well but it was in this stupid room under where you meet the dude on the roof who gives you the key to the seal. there was a fireplace I climbed up and legged it, didn't figure I'd be going back through there, bah.

the Lost Izalith part wasn't so bad could easily run past most of the enemies, those gigantic things in the main chamber didn't notice you unless you went right near them so once the path was figured out was easy get around. Was handy that dying during the Bed of Chaos fight didn't respawn the orange blob shields on either side. I was RAGING after I figured out that I had to run up the middle and get under the ceature, went all the way back, mistimed the jump and instead rolled right into the hole, could have cried lol.

Bed of Chaos sure is fun. I think the Devs actually apologised for that fight, saying it just didn't work out as intended.

Bed of Chaos sure is fun. I think the Devs actually apologised for that fight, saying it just didn't work out as intended.

Well it was definitely different, its a huge boss you kill with one hit lol it's just getting to land that hit is a pain in the hole. the big sweeping arms were easy it was the stuff exploding out of the ground was annoying, I tanked up with armour so rolling wasn't exactly speedy.

at the Four Kings now, sigh.

Well it was definitely different, its a huge boss you kill with one hit lol it's just getting to land that hit is a pain in the hole. the big sweeping arms were easy it was the stuff exploding out of the ground was annoying, I tanked up with armour so rolling wasn't exactly speedy.

at the Four Kings now, sigh.

Another fun boss. Unfortunately the quality of the game dips a little after Ornstein and Smough. Now would be a good time for the DLC if you had it.

Another fun boss. Unfortunately the quality of the game dips a little after Ornstein and Smough. Now would be a good time for the DLC if you had it.

I think cos I know it's nearing the end (I think) story wise it's starting to feel more of a slog, and it's costing over 35k souls to move up another level so intentionally going after enemies has lost its appeal unless they're a boss type character. O&S was the highlight of the game for me so far, definitely one of the best boss battles of the last few years.

When I was PVP'ing in the forest I somehow rolled off the ledge on my way back in. 1.7million souls down the drain.

Haven't touched that character since :(

Edit: Also, wait til you fight Artorias...best boss fight in history

I think cos I know it's nearing the end (I think) story wise it's starting to feel more of a slog, and it's costing over 35k souls to move up another level so intentionally going after enemies has lost its appeal unless they're a boss type character. O&S was the highlight of the game for me so far, definitely one of the best boss battles of the last few years.

The good thing about finishing the game is you get to play again:). Then go lore hunting, watch vaatividya or enb's vids. There is tonnes of great speculation on reddit about everything, Gwyn's disgraced firstborn, his Knights, characters you just hear of by name, world history etc. lots of good reading there.

• Advertisement

The Pygmy? kept wondering if he/it would turn up in the game.

Gwyn's son? Nope, Gwyn's firstborn son, a god of war, stripped of his deific status and banished from Anor Londo. Did you notice the missing statue in the Ornstein Smough boss room?

EDIT: Have a read of Sir Digbys post on page 346 when you finish. It has a bit about him and other stuff.

That's you, sort of :confused:

The original Pygmy (supposedly) shows up in the dlc

The bosses in the lava areas were a bit of a let down but once you dive into the dlc it picks right up again, it has probably my three favourite boss battles and it really got me interested in the lore and trying to figure out the story

The bosses in the lava areas were a bit of a let down but once you dive into the dlc it picks right up again, it has probably my three favourite boss battles and it really got me interested in the lore and trying to figure out the story

I've no idea why but I expected to be eased into the DLC. Nope, must have forgotten what game I was playing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i dont know how I feel about the pygmy/dlc connection

think i lean more towards no these days...

I threw on the beginning of Demon's Souls last night, played it ages ago and remember the tutorial level so just wanted to see if having played Dark Souls made it any easier, it does in the sense you already know the mechanics and combat and stuff so it's not as intimidating as it was playing it on release. Does anyone think it actually runs smoother than Dark Souls? the framerate seems a lot more stable and smooth.

I threw on the beginning of Demon's Souls last night, played it ages ago and remember the tutorial level so just wanted to see if having played Dark Souls made it any easier, it does in the sense you already know the mechanics and combat and stuff so it's not as intimidating as it was playing it on release. Does anyone think it actually runs smoother than Dark Souls? the framerate seems a lot more stable and smooth.

Maybe, haven't played in a while. If I remember correctly it slows down in its own Blightown like area.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Might have to steal PS3 to play Demon Souls before DS2 comes out I think.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Might have to steal PS3 to play Demon Souls before DS2 comes out I think.

Only 8.99 on psn+ right now there's an RPG sale on. It's all very familiar if you're played Dark Souls, same type of combat mechanics, same button layout and menus etc. It does seem to have a better framerate though, Blighttown and parts of Lost Izalith slow down massively for me.

Advertisement