Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

5ExuIZd.png

(Reddit)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Chaos Blade>Ascended Pyro +5>Power Within>10 Soft Humanity

Jesus God the power

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've started a new character again, as i was finding a pure mage to be kind of boring. Also stupidly OP for most of what i was coming up against. Thinking i'll go full strength/endurance this time, and wear the heaviest armour and weapons i can.

Mage is incredibly OP in pve indeed, full str/end is pretty op and boring too mind you unless you get the BKGS drop in the burg, then it's gravy

edit: and if you're going for heaviest weapons and armour you may aswell just make a giantdad

Well, i won't be getting that. Never get good drops from the Black Knights. And by god the heavy roll is slow :P

• Advertisement

I live in the hope that I'll be able to turn every character I make into a monster, but it hardly ever drops :(

Hah, got both greatswords from the Black Knights this time round. 410 item discovery really does help afterall :D

Scratch that, all the Black Knight weapons and the shield. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

OdgeXD wrote: »
    From the modsite

Yeah I need to disable DEP. I'll give it a bash later

Doing SL70 invasions/co-op in Township on PS3 if anyone wants to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Friend of mine gifted me the game on PC. I've spend at least 300 hours on PS3 (probably more) so I guess I could help her out co-op. Was surprised to see GFWL. I thought they got rid of that from Dark Souls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Friend of mine gifted me the game on PC. I've spend at least 300 hours on PS3 (probably more) so I guess I could help her out co-op. Was surprised to see GFWL. I thought they got rid of that from Dark Souls?

Think they're getting rid of GFWL for Dark Souls 2 though I'm not on PC so I'm not too sure.

GFWL is shutting down completely, thankfully. No idea what's gonna happen games like Street Fighter or Dark souls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

OdgeXD wrote: »
    GFWL is shutting down completely, thankfully. No idea what's gonna happen games like Street Fighter or Dark souls

GFWL has been removed from some games so far such as Bioshock 2. I recently bought it and I think it just runs the servers normally like any game from Steam so Steam patch these games once GFWL is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

GFWL has been removed from some games so far such as Bioshock 2. I recently bought it and I think it just runs the servers normally like any game from Steam so Steam patch these games once GFWL is removed.

I think they will be migrating over to Steam in the near future, hate GFWL.

I thought the Township was decent for PvP, but turns out it's full of twats who use disgusting tactics or heal constantly. No fun at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tafkapts

It's the only game I've ever gotten ALL the achievements on. Just gold serpent ring, and some humanity, after the first humanity there are quite severe diminishing returns, I usually run with about 2-3 humanity, you can go to 10, personally I don't think it's worth it. Just be patient, they'll drop eventually for you. Or, you can get someone to trade them to you, I believe that works.
    I finally got the Great Channeler's Trident & the Stone Greatshield/Stone Greatsword. It took a long long time but finally got them. Now I'm on my third playthrough to just clean up whats left, only two achievements left and one of them is to get all the other achievements in the game, so I've really only one to do. I cannot wait to finally master this game. Over 160hrs into this game now & I'll probably play it through again.

I have to say, melee classes are far more enjoyable than magic. Magic is fun for a while, but it just seems to easy and you miss the feeling of proper combat and weight. Playing a heavy armour / shield character now, and i've learned how to beat bosses properly rather than just soul arrowing them down. Takes a few tries sometimes, but there's a much better feeling of accomplishment when you do kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

On a day off and stuck on the couch with a bad back. Have started going through the lore and its really great. The Siegmeyer of Catarina one really gets me as on my first play through I went out of my way to finish his quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Kiith wrote: »
    I have to say, melee classes are far more enjoyable than magic. Magic is fun for a while, but it just seems to easy and you miss the feeling of proper combat and weight. Playing a heavy armour / shield character now, and i've learned how to beat bosses properly rather than just soul arrowing them down. Takes a few tries sometimes, but there's a much better feeling of accomplishment when you do kill them.

Prefer melee too, I started a sorcerer build and meh, I don't like the delay with using magic. I know the casting time comes down with higher levelling but I prefer the rolling/attacking style combat. Trying to find the sweet spot between good defence and being able to roll with some kind of speed is cool. I loved my crimson robe/thief mask/painting guardian leggings armour setup, looked badass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

for anyone who has not picked this up yet on the 360 or just looking for it again
    its only 4.99 on xbox live cyber monday sale
    well worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Just beat Kalameet and got the tail drop with the help to two kind Sunbros. It was an immeasurable feeling of OH HELL YEAH!!! :D:D:D

dTrmTYG.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    for anyone who has not picked this up yet on the 360 or just looking for it again
    its only 4.99 on xbox live cyber monday sale
    well worth it

Yeah, no discount on the DLC though unfortunately. Hopefully it will go on offer when DS2 comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Started this tonight. I spent about half an hour on the character creation screen alone thinking up a name, class and gift. Then about 5-10 minutes into the game I'm thrown up against some huge monster thing and all I have is a broken sword! But I picked the grenade gift so I just ran and spammed them until I killed it. Played until a giant crow took me away and dropped me off somewhere.

All those things you can level up, your attack, defence and resistance stats, hollowing, kindling. I'm in way over my head! :pac:

Any recommendations for a thief character?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Started this tonight. I spent about half an hour on the character creation screen alone thinking up a name, class and gift. Then about 5-10 minutes into the game I'm thrown up against some huge monster thing and all I have is a broken sword! But I picked the grenade gift so I just ran and spammed them until I killed it. Played until a giant crow took me away and dropped me off somewhere.

All those things you can level up, your attack, defence and resistance stats, hollowing, kindling. I'm in way over my head! :pac:

You have no idea how jealous I am that you are starting off without a clue of what you are in for :'(

ildjsx_thumbjpg.png

I remember when I first started I chose thief...good luck

"Hi I'm the Asylum Demon and welcome to Dark Souls!"

As a thief you already have the master key, you need that it's what a lot of people pick as a starting gift as the rest of the stuff you can get along the way anyway.
    That key unlocks a few shortcuts, if you go down the stairs near the bonfire there's an area down there where it unlocks an area you otherwise can't access for a while, buuut, it being Dark Souls, it's not gonna be easy. :pac:

I chose knight on my first starting, restarted it not long after as a wanderer I think, really the starting class doesn't hugely matter as you can get all the same armor, spells and weapons but your stats are a bit different, all depends on how you want to play it though.

Re: stats, don't bother levelling up Resistance, you get plenty of stuff that boost that like shields and armor anyway. Dexterity, Endurance, Strength and Intelligence are all worth levelling but it totally depends on how you want to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The Thief is normally used as the base for a DEX build which usually revolves around using samurai swords, bows and generally being quite nimble. This doesn't mean you have to go that route just that his starting stats are pointing you in that direction, nothing stopping you leveling other stats and going in a different direction.

Regardless of what kind of build you're going for, as it's your first playthrough I'd recommend keeping your VIT and END stats as high as you can early on. This will give you the most chance to survive/block/roll etc. whilst you get used to things.

The most important thing after that is to find a weapon type you like using. They all have different move sets and each has its own feel. After that you can figure out what stat to level up. It all gets very complicated so maybe come back when you have a weapon you like.

Get the Uchigatana early, you can get it in Undead Burg which is one of the first areas, it's a fantastic sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Game will feel like a maze of confusion and stats that make no sense, they will eventually. Best advice I can think of is not to try level everything. Jack of all trades will find it a lot harder. Also as said above Resistance is kind of useless. If you are going as a thief you will probably be looking to use some sort of magic (sorcery, Miracles or Pyro) so you can damage from a distance or use a bow witch you will need to level up Dex to get proper damage from.
    One thing I will say is that weapon and armour upgrades are actually more important than stats and the fact certain spells/weapons have a required stat target means you should be aiming to meet what you want to use instead of just leveling up because you can.

Stats off the top of my head containing spoilers of sorts: also may make feck all sense

Vitality: Your health, important stat but remember there is no point taking damage if you cant deal it out or defend against it, so raise with end :)
    Endurance: I personally think this is the most important stat to raise early. Its your stamina (what you can block, how much you can attack and how long you can run away ha ha) Its also your equip load (only EQUIPPED items count towards any sort of limit in DS ;) so carry whatever you want) so this stat also governs how fast you can run and roll.
    Attunement: How many spells you can carry on you. (16 will let you carry 4, 19 carry 5 etc) 2-3 spells is usually plenty.
    Resistance: Kind of useless to be honest, the amount of times you need good poison resistance makes it a waste of stats.

Strength and Dexterity: Weapons broadly fall into two categories: strength weapons, and dexterity weapons. Every weapon will have a requirement so you can wield it and almost every weapon then scales with one (or more) of these stats. At its simplest you have the option of just getting your str and dex stats to the minimum to hold the weapon then finding other ways to improve damage or continue to invest in its best scaling stat :D
    So lets say you are a dex based character, you will look to find a good dex weapon (scales well with that stat) these are usually daggers, rapiers or curved swords and katanas. You will get your stats to the minimum to wield the weapon you want. You now can choose to stop there and invest your stats in magic and use spells and items on the weapon, upgrade the weapon so that it scales completely differently or pump stats into dex to get more damage. In this example as a dex character investing stats in Str would be pointless due to never using a weapon that takes advantage of it.

Intelligence and Faith work similarly to str and dex, every spell in the game fall into three camps, sorcery using intelligence, Miracles using Faith and Pyromancy using... well neither, you just have to spend souls buying spells and upgrades. To cast sorcery you need a catalyst, Miracles you need a Talisman and Pyro a pyro glove. All of them contain some sort of projectile that can be thrown, Miracles and sorcery can give buffs to weapons but sorcery allows this a little earlier and with less stat investment, Pyro is more fire based damage with various ranges and effects. Miracles have healing spells and one very powerfull close range spell.
    You can also upgrade weapons to be either Magic or Blessed so they scale with your Intelligence or Faith, so you have even more options for damage. Like str and dex its probably better to choose one and stick with it, some of the later Spells you get from higher stat investment are deadly. If you plan on having a blessed or magic weapon you would probably be better off not spending the stats in dex/str as it will be wasted due to scaling now being on int or faith :pac:

If that made no sense I apologise :pac:

Pretty much Dark Souls lets you make whatever character you want, so if you want to be a sneaky katana wielding thief hiding in bushes sniping people with fire arrows you can be. If you want to be a heavy armour tank of a knight with a monster axe you can be. Its a fricking awesome game.

• Advertisement

^ I can attest to the keeping everything similar making things harder, I was going up a point here and there with everything, but later in the game it costs a lot more so you're only wasting souls going up a point on some stat that doesnt make a whole lot of difference. You're better off putting it into 2-3 stats instead. By the time I wanted to start getting higher Intelligence it was costing upwards of 25,000 souls to go up a level and it made it so much harder with little reward.

Advertisement