Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Endurance, vitality and dexterity are the three I always find myself focusing on, I find dex and pyro with light armour to be the most enjoyable play style. Playing through on pc for the first time at the moment and it's nice to have a smooth framerate for a change, didn't find Blighttown bad at all this time

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Thanks for all the tips, lads. Still in way over my head but at least now I've got a little bit of direction!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When looking at weapons and armour remember there's additional status screens for them that will give you more information on them like minimum stats to equip them. I found myself forgetting this a lot. Also there should be a way to get a help menu that will tell you what each stat does if you need a reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    When looking at weapons and armour remember there's additional status screens for them that will give you more information on them like minimum stats to equip them. I found myself forgetting this a lot. Also there should be a way to get a help menu that will tell you what each stat does if you need a reminder.

Expanding on this, all weapon damage scales with certain stats ranging from E->S(A?) When you choose a weapon, make sure you upgrade the stats it scales best with.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

When you meet a nice man named Solaire of Astora, he will give you a White Sign Soapstone. Do use this frequently and help out your fellow players with a bit of Jolly Co-operation to take down bosses. You'll get plenty of souls and humanity by doing this, as well as learning how to use your character better without risking your own souls! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

When you meet a nice man named Solaire of Astora, he will give you a White Sign Soapstone. Do use this frequently and help out your fellow players with a bit of Jolly Co-operation to take down bosses. You'll get plenty of souls and humanity by doing this, as well as learning how to use your character better without risking your own souls! :D

am going to do this way more in a fresh playthrough. I stayed hollow a lot except before bosses so it's time to give something back :pac: and it'll be fun helping people out against bosses like Ornstein & Smough.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

krudler wrote: »
    am going to do this way more in a fresh playthrough. I stayed hollow a lot except before bosses so it's time to give something back :pac: and it'll be fun helping people out against bosses like Ornstein & Smough.

It's like a whole other game!! When you help someone take down a boss with someone and you get a message afterwards, you're not flinching in anticipation of some 12-year-old flaming you after you invaded him and kicked him off a cliff! Though I do recommend that after you be a good little Sunbro, that you give being an evil little Darkwraith a go too! :p

So you can jump into other peoples games? Class.

Also, those notes left on the ground, are they from other players and if so, how can I do one?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

J. Marston wrote: »

Also, those notes left on the ground, are they from other players and if so, how can I do one?

You need an object called an orange soapstone, I think you get it from the merchant in undead burg if i recall correctly.

When you arrive in Undead Burg (up the hill from Firelink, where you first arrive with the bonfire) eventually you'll get to an area where a big dragon swoops past, if you head right there's a merchant down a stairs hidden under some boxes you can break. He has one. Beware some of the messages though, not every one of them are helpful ;)

• Advertisement

Maybe we should tone down the hand-holding and let him suffer a bit :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Yeah actually, just dive in is the best way. You will die and be confused a lot. Thats dark souls :D

Danonino. wrote: »
    Yeah actually, just dive in is the best way. You will die and be confused a lot. Thats dark souls :D

Make progress, do well, get cocky, game comes up with something to knock your ass back into place. Welcome to Lordran motherfucker!

Getting my ass kicked by crappy skeletons. Almost had the two of them killed but then another one spawned behind me and slaughtered me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Getting my ass kicked by crappy skeletons. Almost had the two of them killed but then another one spawned behind me and slaughtered me.

Monsters don't "spawn" in Dark Souls, they lurk!! :p

Seriously though always try fight on your terms and with the area fully checked so you don't get jumped by something you missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

You don't have to go that way. The other way is easier. /handholding

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't go near those skeletons, that's a high level area. the skeletons will also ressurect unless you have a divine weapon of kill the necromancer that controls them.

Head to the undead burge by goin up the hill to the bridge. You'll only get destroyed going to the catacombs.

Ah, I see, thanks. I did try to run away from them and ended up going down a bit into the catacombs but then a skeleton appeared so I ran back to the entrance hoping that the other skeletons had gone away but nope, they were there, waiting to kick my ass.

Honestly, that piece of gameplay could've been set to Benny Hill music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Spoilers below....sort of :pac:

Ah, I see, thanks. I did try to run away from them and ended up going down a bit into the catacombs but then a skeleton appeared so I ran back to the entrance hoping that the other skeletons had gone away but nope, they were there, waiting to kick my ass.

Honestly, that piece of gameplay could've been set to Benny Hill music.

That area is basically letting you know what you're in for later, the skeletons are actually easy enough just annoying as they constantly respawn, you can get weapons that stop that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

That area is basically letting you know what you're in for later, the skeletons are actually easy enough just annoying as they constantly respawn, you can get weapons that stop that though.

Or just kick them off the edge. The skellies hit hard but they're dumb as bricks.

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Or just kick them off the edge. The skellies hit hard but they're dumb as bricks.

Big time, but **** the wheel skeletons, **** them in their stupid spinny faces.

Big time, but **** the wheel skeletons, **** them in their stupid spinny faces.

Yup, I usually summon Leroy then sit back and watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

It seems like every time the thread is about to die someone new gets the game and the whole process starts all over again!

It always amuses me seeing a person change from "OMFG what do I do" to giving advice to the new people.

Oh Dark Souls <3

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Yup, I usually summon Leroy then sit back and watch.

I nearly flung my controller through the screen when once time I was making a dash through the catacombs, took the shortcut, running down the pathway towards where pinwheel was previously. And one of the wheel skeletons came up from behind and took an absolute ton of health, then another arrived and did the same. I legged it dodging and then rolled into the place where Pinwheel used to be, fecking died from the fall. Gaahhhh!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They wouldn't be so bad, but they always manage to sneak up on me. Been hit behind by them way too many times, and it's usually a death sentence. Shouldn't be as bad this playthrough, as i'll be rocking Havel's set and shield. Try break through that ****ers.

Kiith wrote: »
    They wouldn't be so bad, but they always manage to sneak up on me. Been hit behind by them way too many times, and it's usually a death sentence. Shouldn't be as bad this playthrough, as i'll be rocking Havel's set and shield. Try break through that ****ers.

Fun wearing Havel's full setup and going up to the hollows near Firelink, they can't even make you flinch lol. Anyone fought Havel wearing his armour?

I'm sure some of you know the youtuber pewdiepie, super annoying with a massive pre-teen immature fanbase. Anyways, he recently started a Dark Souls let's play series which, if you can put up with his mannerisms, I think shows off the game from a new players perspective pretty well. You can see how he gradually learns the mechanics and how to tackle an area etc. through his short vids.

Well the best part for me is you can see the game break through his act like his genuine fear of the Black Knight in the Burg, his frustration of an avoidable death or the pure joy of finally beating the Capra Demon. There aren't many Dark Souls vids on YouTube with the viewer count he can pull in either so that has to count for something. He's tackling Blightown next so that might make or break him.

Like I said, if you can put up with his act, you should at least watch the first one or two vids.

(On mobile so can't link)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Started it tonight and played for about an hour and a half, pretty tough going, it's hard to know where to go once you get to Lordran, no matter what direction I headed in everything was able to easily kill me.

• Advertisement

Go up

Advertisement