Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    I'm sure some of you know the youtuber pewdiepie, super annoying with a massive pre-teen immature fanbase. Anyways, he recently started a Dark Souls let's play series which, if you can put up with his mannerisms, I think shows off the game from a new players perspective pretty well. You can see how he gradually learns the mechanics and how to tackle an area etc. through his short vids.

Well the best part for me is you can see the game break through his act like his genuine fear of the Black Knight in the Burg, his frustration of an avoidable death or the pure joy of finally beating the Capra Demon. There aren't many Dark Souls vids on YouTube with the viewer count he can pull in either so that has to count for something. He's tackling Blightown next so that might make or break him.

Like I said, if you can put up with his act, you should at least watch the first one or two vids.

(On mobile so can't link)

no one should have to put up with his act

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'm sure some of you know the youtuber pewdiepie, super annoying with a massive pre-teen immature fanbase. Anyways, he recently started a Dark Souls let's play series which, if you can put up with his mannerisms, I think shows off the game from a new players perspective pretty well. You can see how he gradually learns the mechanics and how to tackle an area etc. through his short vids.

Well the best part for me is you can see the game break through his act like his genuine fear of the Black Knight in the Burg, his frustration of an avoidable death or the pure joy of finally beating the Capra Demon. There aren't many Dark Souls vids on YouTube with the viewer count he can pull in either so that has to count for something. He's tackling Blightown next so that might make or break him.

Like I said, if you can put up with his act, you should at least watch the first one or two vids.

(On mobile so can't link)
    Nope, cant do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

ShaneU wrote: »
    Nope, cant do it.

Yeah I figured as much. :p Good thing is his fans buy the game, FROM get money and the Darkwraiths get fresh blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ I watched the first 2 parts and he's annoying but some of the stuff he comes out with it funny, I'm not gonna lie I laughed out loud when he started singing the Pirates of the Caribbean music as he ran away from the Taurus Demon :pac: He's acting like how most of us did in fairness, "dafuq is that ohgodrunnnn!"

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

His last one was him taking on the Capra. It's the least annoying as he is really struggling and just trying to win and he did I was actually happy for him. Yes he's annoying but I'm sure we aren't his target audience.

• Advertisement

His last one was him taking on the Capra. It's the least annoying as he is really struggling and just trying to win and he did I was actually happy for him. Yes he's annoying but I'm sure we aren't his target audience.

I had the same reaction as him lol, after what felt like a dozen or more attempts he fell, and I nearly cried :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As annoying as he can be, that's actually quite funny.

The look on his face when he just walks off the ledge in the first video is perfect. That exact expression on me way too many times :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'd love to see someone who wasn't a poster child for post natal abortion do a similar video series, a completely fresh assault on dark souls

I think this is what i'm looking forward to in Dark Souls 2. Knowing pretty much everything definitely takes away some of the fun.

Kiith wrote: »
    I think this is what i'm looking forward to in Dark Souls 2. Knowing pretty much everything definitely takes away some of the fun.

Definitely, I'm looking forward to going in day 1 blind and figuring it out alongside everyone else. Knowing some of the aspects and mechanics and that makes it more exciting rather than daunting. I genuinely never thought I'd see the end of Dark Souls 1 when I started it.

• Advertisement

i'd love to see someone who wasn't a poster child for post natal abortion do a similar video series, a completely fresh assault on dark souls

Harsh lol, I couldnt stand him for long videos but in small doses he can be funny, just stop with the screaming ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

krudler wrote: »
    Harsh lol, I couldnt stand him for long videos but in small doses he can be funny, just stop with the screaming ffs.

His horror montages are hilarious. I just think he's not doing dark souls justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

J. Marston wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a thief character?

It does not matter what starting class you pick, it's how you play and distribute your points that really counts. Point in Vitality and Endurance are hardly ever wasted. After that focus on a single primary stat. And don't bother levelling it beyond 40, severe diminishing returns kick in at that point.

Enjoy your ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

krudler wrote: »
    "As a thief you already have the master key, you need that it's what a lot of people pick as a starting gift as the rest of the stuff you can get along the way anyway.

You can buy the master key later in the game too.

You can buy the master key later in the game too.

Master Key is handy for getting down into Valley of the Drakes early and getting the Aegis Shield and sword.

And dying a lot....

Vicxas wrote: »
    Master Key is handy for getting down into Valley of the Drakes early and getting the Aegis Shield and sword.

And dying a lot....

ah the Valley of Drakes
    "Eek is that a dragon? oh it's dead, yay items- OOHHH GOOD RUNNN!"

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Ok so I'm a good bit into my Faith/Dex build but I thought I'd be using miracles more. The only one I found useful is the Sunbro lightning spear. I'm about to make my assault on O&S but really finding the build quite boring. Just using one miracle (and it takes it's time to cast too). Are there other good miraces I should have at this point? I know I can get Emit Force from Siegmeyer soon enough but all I'm really doing is using my Uchi and Pyromancy, so in effect I am a weaker version of my dex build.

Am I missing out on the miracles side of things at this stage of the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Haven't really ever found much use for miracles, unless you want to be a massive **** in pvp and spam twop and wotg ¬¬

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Came across the Taurus Demon and died about 10 times, fought him again and he fell off the side of the bridge when I had most of his health gone.

Came across the Taurus Demon and died about 10 times, fought him again and he fell off the side of the bridge when I had most of his health gone.

Lol brilliant :pac: that happens quite a bit, enemies roll, jump and walk off things and it never stops being funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

GK1001 wrote: »
    Ok so I'm a good bit into my Faith/Dex build but I thought I'd be using miracles more. The only one I found useful is the Sunbro lightning spear. I'm about to make my assault on O&S but really finding the build quite boring. Just using one miracle (and it takes it's time to cast too). Are there other good miraces I should have at this point? I know I can get Emit Force from Siegmeyer soon enough but all I'm really doing is using my Uchi and Pyromancy, so in effect I am a weaker version of my dex build.

Am I missing out on the miracles side of things at this stage of the game?

Spoilers

Greatlord sword dance, Magic barrier, Sunlight or Darkmoon blade all are pretty useful the blade buffs especially but if you have high enough faith it will be a choice between using a faith weapon or buffing a vanilla one.
    If you are joining/summoning/invading you can start using Tranquil walk of peace, Vow of silence, Karmic justice and the group healing spells as support.

Wrath of the Gods is one of the main reasons to go Faith, the spell is... well God like. You can get almost all of these before O+S too. As a faith character you should have the catacombs beaten and pinwheel dead for more flasks and you have healing spells too. If your brave you can venture into the tomb of giants for the very large divine ember and to rescue Rhea knowing you have healing to last the trip. DON'T use a bonfire in the tomb unless you have beat O+S before heading down there so you have a safe route out by homeward boning/spell or traveling by the lordvessel back to the catacombs. The very large ember is almost a guaranteed suicide run regardless of level or gear, so have no souls on you.

My favourite builds have all been faith builds funnily enough, people give out about the twop and wog combo but other builds have just as powerfull stuff like homing soul mass or dex scaling dagger backstabs etc. Thinking about it all my faith builds were either pure faith or a str/faitrh build. Never went faith/dex.... hmmmm
    I couldn't play another game of dark souls could I. uh oh

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Danonino. wrote: »

Spoilers

If your brave you can venture into the tomb of giants for the very large divine ember and to rescue Rhea knowing you have healing to last the trip. DON'T use a bonfire in the tomb unless you have beat O+S before heading down there so you have a safe route out by homeward boning/spell or traveling by the lordvessel back to the catacombs. The very large ember is almost a guaranteed suicide run regardless of level or gear, so have no souls on you.

And after saving Rhea, go STRAIGHT to her when you leave the catacombs. She's found in the Undead Burg, praying at the altar where you found a Firekeeper soul. After this, head down the elevator, and slaughter Pertrus of Thorolund (make sure to buy a Thorolund Catalyst first if you killed Patches). Don't feel bad, he deserves it, he will kill Rhea if you don't murder his ass.

"For is he not too... DRENCHED in sin"

Just gimme a fúcking bonfire, I've died and respawned at Undead Burg about 40 times now. I die multiple times at the Taurus, finally beat him and 30 seconds later a Dragon swoops overheard and kills me. That's just cheap.

I make my way past the dragon, go up a tower after the rats and then some giant black knight kills me. I avoid the knight the next time and then a giant armoured boar kills me a few more times. I kill the boar the boar and then some knight out on a tower kills me. So much wasted souls too. Fúck sake.

How frequent or infrequent are the bonfires?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

There's a bonfire behind the dragon, and another past that knight that killed you

They aren't that far apart usually, but you just have to find them. Generally, if you see something like the Giant Boar or Black Knights, just run away as you'll not be strong enough to take them out (at least not without knowing their attacks).

Spoilered, in case you don't want any tips (no story spoilers, or anything you've not seen before, just how to get to the bonfire).
    Don't go up the tower to the black knight, but go towards the boar. Run past him and down the steps to the right, follow the path through the building killing everything (careful with the knights, they can be tough early on) and cross the wooden bridge. Kill the 3 undead soldiers, and turn right (don't go into the Cathedral yet) and follow the path. Bonfire right there, along with a blacksmith to do some upgrading (which is more important then levelling your souls).

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Just gimme a fúcking bonfire, I've died and respawned at Undead Burg about 40 times now. I die multiple times at the Taurus, finally beat him and 30 seconds later a Dragon swoops overheard and kills me. That's just cheap.

I make my way past the dragon, go up a tower after the rats and then some giant black knight kills me. I avoid the knight the next time and then a giant armoured boar kills me a few more times. I kill the boar the boar and then some knight out on a tower kills me. So much wasted souls too. Fúck sake.

How frequent or infrequent are the bonfires?

We've all been there buddy, it gets easier I promise (lies)

2372464-10132011level1.jpg

We've all been there buddy, it gets easier I promise (lies)

2372464-10132011level1.jpg

Ha, that's brilliant! A walkthrough like that would be handy.

That dragon death is just plain trolling from the developers. He kills you once, you go back and he's just sitting on the castle, happy out.

You can actually kill him, though it's bloody tough later on in the game, nevermind when starting out. You should be able to make it all the way to the stairs down without getting hit. I used magic to hit him from under the bridge last time, but have left him alone on this playthrough (very hard to melee him).

Also, red fire breathing dragon that one shots you is something of a FROM Software trait at this stage. Was even worse in Demons Souls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The game still hates me.
    But it is, probably, one of the best games I've ever played.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The game still hates me.
    But it is, probably, one of the best games I've ever played.

The game hates everyone. You just need to channel that hatred into vitality ;)

Advertisement