Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

J. Marston wrote: »
    Just gimme a fúcking bonfire, I've died and respawned at Undead Burg about 40 times now. I die multiple times at the Taurus, finally beat him and 30 seconds later a Dragon swoops overheard and kills me. That's just cheap.

I make my way past the dragon, go up a tower after the rats and then some giant black knight kills me. I avoid the knight the next time and then a giant armoured boar kills me a few more times. I kill the boar the boar and then some knight out on a tower kills me. So much wasted souls too. Fúck sake.

How frequent or infrequent are the bonfires?

On the bridge where the dragon swooped down and killed you, head half-way down the bridge and turn right to go down the stairs. (He will only use his fire attack when you reach half way anyway). When down the stairs there are two door arches, head to the one on the opposite side of the room, you'll take a few steps down you will be able to kick a ladder. When you kick the ladder you now have access to the bonfire in undead burg and it acts as a shortcut between the burg and the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

And for your sanity's sake please don't forget to kick the ladder. If you're feeling brave you can make it past the dragon by shooting him with arrows, causing him to jump onto the bridge then just dash past him. Opens up a shortcut and covenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Just gimme a fúcking bonfire, I've died and respawned at Undead Burg about 40 times now. I die multiple times at the Taurus, finally beat him and 30 seconds later a Dragon swoops overheard and kills me. That's just cheap.

I make my way past the dragon, go up a tower after the rats and then some giant black knight kills me. I avoid the knight the next time and then a giant armoured boar kills me a few more times. I kill the boar the boar and then some knight out on a tower kills me. So much wasted souls too. Fúck sake.

How frequent or infrequent are the bonfires?

Where you are at the dragon on the bridge, there's one bonfire right under where he's perched and another under the bridge, one in Undead Parish which is past where the boar is and another one shortly after. Honestly they'll seem so much closer the further you progress and more shortcuts you open, off the top of my head I can recall 5 bonfires easily accessed from around there once you clear out a few areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

OdgeXD wrote: »
    And for your sanity's sake please don't forget to kick the ladder. If you're feeling brave you can make it past the dragon by shooting him with arrows, causing him to jump onto the bridge then just dash past him. Opens up a shortcut and covenant.

It's easier if you come up the stairs midway across the bridge and dash straight to the opposite side where there's a wall that you can hide behind to avoid the dragon's fire, then wait for him to jump down, then run like all hell for the gate.

In planning a faith build, help people kill bosses using the White Sign Soapstone and it'll lower the faith requirements by 5 each time you beat a boss of the covenant under the dragon. They give you freaking LIGHTNING BOLT miracles upon joining!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

In planning a faith build, help people kill bosses using the White Sign Soapstone and it'll lower the faith requirements by 5 each time you beat a boss of the covenant under the dragon. They give you freaking LIGHTNING BOLT miracles upon joining!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 tafkapts

Finally done it the other day! Got every achievement, took a long long time and 160hrs+ but it was well worth every minute.

Bring on Dark Souls 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Ha, that's brilliant! A walkthrough like that would be handy.

That dragon death is just plain trolling from the developers. He kills you once, you go back and he's just sitting on the castle, happy out.

Just to point out, that bridge is covered in burnt bodies. Had you noticed them you probably would have remembered the dragon and proceeded carefully. Observation is key in this game.

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Just to point out, that bridge is covered in burnt bodies. Had you noticed them you probably would have remembered the dragon and proceeded carefully. Observation is key in this game.

Sure is, nothing quite like getting a bit into it, being surprised a few times then realising the only way to enter a new area is carefully, shield up and check rooms before advancing. It's funny later on when you've played areas loads that seemed so daunting and you're not even bothering with enemies just dodging them or casually running past as you've better things to be doing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

tafkapts wrote: »
    Finally done it the other day! Got every achievement, took a long long time and 160hrs+ but it was well worth every minute.

Bring on Dark Souls 2.

How many playthroughs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 tafkapts

How many playthroughs?
    Two complete playthroughs and then the third playthrough was just tying up loose ends, you really only need to play the third playthrough to get the soul of Sif a thrid time. The 160hrs is a bit more that I actually played as there is no pause so when I had to eat or something i'd just leave my guy hiding behind a tree or something.

As annoying as it was to get all the achievements I'm glad I did it, but without the wikis to follow you wouldn't have a clue what you have to do to get some of the achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Eg43m5A.jpg

1ZLIUxK.jpg

This isn't even my final form.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Here!"

"I did it!"

"Praise the sun!"

That's not helpful!

"Here!"

"I did it!"

"Praise the sun!"

That's not helpful!
    Have you tried jumping?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

tafkapts wrote: »
    Two complete playthroughs and then the third playthrough was just tying up loose ends, you really only need to play the third playthrough to get the soul of Sif a thrid time. The 160hrs is a bit more that I actually played as there is no pause so when I had to eat or something i'd just leave my guy hiding behind a tree or something.

As annoying as it was to get all the achievements I'm glad I did it, but without the wikis to follow you wouldn't have a clue what you have to do to get some of the achievements.

start-> quit game.. the ultimate pause. You'll pop right back in where you left

I spent 4 and a half hours in the undead burg today trying to kill a man dressed as sauron, I am not good at this game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd suggest skipping the Black Knights at the start. They can pretty much one hit you early on, but you'll wipe the floor with them later. It's actually very satisfying.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd suggest skipping the Black Knights at the start. They can pretty much one hit you early on, but you'll wipe the floor with them later. It's actually very satisfying.

First time you one hit kill one is friggin' awesome :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Especially when they drop their weapons as well. I'm rocking the Black Knight Halberd +5 at the moment, and it's stupidly powerful. I know i'll need to replace it eventually, but on my first playthrough it is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I Used to think the Silver Knights were impossible, then i killed the one in Darkroot on my first PC playthrough.

I guess when you know what to do nothing is impossible early on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

I spent 4 and a half hours in the undead burg today trying to kill a man dressed as sauron, I am not good at this game.
    Ladders = Cheap kill
    Draw him back up from where he is to the area where the 3 firebombers were raining down on you. Climb the ladder and firebomb the bejaysus out of him...no firebombs? then arrows

In this game there is no honourable death so take it cheap if you can:D

I started again as a knight. I know, I know, I'm a coward but the thief is too weak for a newbie like me. At least the Knight has some decent armour, can take a hit and pack a punch.

Also, not this time Bridge Dragon. Not this time....

GK1001 wrote: »
    Ladders = Cheap kill
    Draw him back up from where he is to the area where the 3 firebombers were raining down on you. Climb the ladder and firebomb the bejaysus out of him...no firebombs? then arrows

In this game there is no honourable death so take it cheap if you can:D

In Dark Souls take whatever victories you can :pac: like those giant cats in Darkroot, I could have went into their area and fought the three of them at once or I could have done like I did and stayed near the trees, lured them out and battered them where they couldn't hit me.

Enemies being in the right position for kicking off a ledge, them running off something because you aggro them in the right spot, rolling and dodging or simply exploiting their stupidity, it's all good!

I started again as a knight. I know, I know, I'm a coward but the thief is too weak for a newbie like me. At least the Knight has some decent armour, can take a hit and pack a punch.

If you want the game to be in "easy mode" for the start, I suggest the Pyromancer with the master key as gift.

If you're starting again and haven't done so already, make a suicide run into the graveyard with the skeletons, spend all your souls, strip your armour and make a dash around getting the items. there's a sword in there the Zweihander. if you have enough strength to wield it, level that bad boy up, it'll wreck things.

And shur if you're planning suicide runs, you can get an early firekeeper's soul to power up your estus flask, fire up that zweihander in the catacombs, and pick up some other nifty items.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I ordered a copy of this only today, am I to late to join the party? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

McGrath5 wrote: »

It is never too late! Enjoy it friend, you're in for a hell of a ride.

McGrath5 wrote: »

Oh look, another noob :pac:.

I'm up to the Undead Parish now with the knight so I don't fancy back-tracking to do a suicide run. Got a fright just after the blacksmith, walked down the steps and boom, some giant black thing with huge horns started firing lightning bolts at me. I actually let out a yelp and ran back up the steps. Turned it off then, I'll take him down later....maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Oh look, another noob :pac:.

I'm up to the Undead Parish now with the knight so I don't fancy back-tracking to do a suicide run. Got a fright just after the blacksmith, walked down the steps and boom, some giant black thing with huge horns started firing lightning bolts at me. I actually let out a yelp and ran back up the steps. Turned it off then, I'll take him down later....maybe.

Everything is beatable at any level, but that doesn't mean you have to. If something's too tough, go elsewhere and try again later.

Also the Burg to the Gargoyles is arguably the most difficult stretch of the game. After that it's a cakewalk. (well, maybe not ;) )

Advertisement