Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Everything is beatable at any level, but that doesn't mean you have to. If something's too tough, go elsewhere and try again later.

Also the Burg to the Gargoyles is arguably the most difficult stretch of the game. After that it's a cakewalk. (well, maybe not ;) )

I think I mentioned here before it was certainly one that caused me the most problems, especially when new to the game. Countless attempts then made it to the fire before the smith only to not actually sit at it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

calex71 wrote: »
    I think I mentioned here before it was certainly one that caused me the most problems, especially when new to the game. Countless attempts then made it to the fire before the smith only to not actually sit at it :mad:

I've done that too. "I lit the bonfire but didn't sit down, d'oh".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'm up to the Undead Parish now with the knight so I don't fancy back-tracking to do a suicide run.

No need to backtrack, go into the church opposite where you went down towards the blacksmith and theres a lift that opens a shortcut back to Firelink

You wouldn't stand much of a chance against the Titanite Demon below the blacksmith at the moment though you can probably run around him. For now though you want to head back into the church to fight the gargoyles. Also make sure you've met Solaire opposite the dragon bridge before you carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Harps wrote: »
    No need to backtrack, go into the church opposite where you went down towards the blacksmith and theres a lift that opens a shortcut back to Firelink

You wouldn't stand much of a chance against the Titanite Demon below the blacksmith at the moment though you can probably run around him. For now though you want to head back into the church to fight the gargoyles. Also make sure you've met Solaire opposite the dragon bridge before you carry on

Just met the Gargoyles. Feck sake, thought I was doing fine against one then bang, here's another fire-breathing gargoyle out of nowhere. Dead.

I met Solaire, must get into human form so he can help me with those Gargoyles. Jolly cooperation!

Also, some bastard invaded my game and slaughtered me. Not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Just met the Gargoyles. Feck sake, thought I was doing fine against one then bang, here's another fire-breathing gargoyle out of nowhere. Dead.

I met Solaire, must get into human form so he can help me with those Gargoyles. Jolly cooperation!

What console are you on? Gold pine resin you should have found works wonders on the gargoyles.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Solaire will destroy them for you. Try and cut one of their tales off while he distracts them.

OdgeXD wrote: »
    What console are you on? Gold pine resin you should have found works wonders on the gargoyles.

PS3. Think I have 2 Gold pine resins, will give them a go.

If you ever need a hand I'd be happy to co-op :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I really don't know why but the phrase "Jolly co-operation" just gets me every time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

JOLLY+COOPERATION_e879e5_3927833.jpg

• Advertisement

part 1 of a guys blind run through dark souls

the dude';s a little irritating but it's awesome watching someone figure out the way dark souls works. running around bashing all the holes with walls in them because that's what every other rpg has taught you to do.. stuff i'd forgotten myself doing

--edit
    walls with holes in them :/

---edit

after talking to the depressed warrior at firelink

"i'm going to need you to be more vague sir. I got a general idea of up and down, not vague enough"

I did lol

http://imgur.com/eePm9XF
    http://imgur.com/r/darksouls/Ta6yn8I

Can't beat seeing Solaire merking bosses with a Great Lightning Dildo

Edit: Broken pics, links will do

Currently at level 25 with my vitality, endurance and dexterity at 18 each, think I've put one or two points in strength as well. Just killed the Moonlight Butterfly (almost a shame to kill something so lovely!).

Should I have good weapons and armour by now? Still using my broadsword that's been upgraded twice so it does 98 damage and I found Elite Knight armour in Darkroot, it sounds fancy but it doesn't seem that impressive.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Currently at level 25 with my vitality, endurance and dexterity at 18 each, think I've put one or two points in strength as well. Just killed the Moonlight Butterfly (almost a shame to kill something so lovely!).

Should I have good weapons and armour by now? Still using my broadsword that's been upgraded twice so it does 98 damage and I found Elite Knight armour in Darkroot, it sounds fancy but it doesn't seem that impressive.

Because of the upgrading system you can pretty much get through the game with any armour and weapon you want. I used the wanderer set for my whole playthrough and NG+ too, though I did change into Havel's set for some of the bosses in NG+.

For a dexterity build (which is what I went for) the katanas ( Iaito and Uchigatana) and some of the spears are good weapons to go for as they scale their damage with dexterity.

You can get the Uchi in undead parish by
    killing the merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

part 1 of a guys blind run through dark souls

Watching him dodge the Asylum Demon there's no way that's his first run.

penev10 wrote: »
    Watching him dodge the Asylum Demon there's no way that's his first run.

He does seem waaaay too good at the game but if you watch his next few vids, he first ends up going to the Cemetar before the catacombs for a full episode, then he heads off to Valley of the Drakes and a bit into Blighttown then he has a go at New Londo Ruins before he finally finds his way to Undead Burg!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Because of the upgrading system you can pretty much get through the game with any armour and weapon you want. I used the wanderer set for my whole playthrough and NG+ too, though I did change into Havel's set for some of the bosses in NG+.

For a dexterity build (which is what I went for) the katanas ( Iaito and Uchigatana) and some of the spears are good weapons to go for as they scale their damage with dexterity.

You can get the Uchi in undead parish by
    killing the merchant.

Got the Uchigatana and upgraded it with 4 titanite shards so it's +4 right now. Had to upgrade my strength to actually hold it properly but it class. I'm slicing through enemies with ease now.

Also, I found a divine ember and the blacksmith asked me for it. I gave it to him, what will he do with it?

When you get a weapon to +5 he'll let you upgrade it further on an elemental path. Divine weapons scale with faith, so unless you're leveling that it's pointless. There are plenty more embers spread throughout that do different paths :D

Also, I found a divine ember and the blacksmith asked me for it. I gave it to him, what will he do with it?

He'll be able to make divine weapons, so you could make your uchigatana divine if you like. I wouldn't bother though, there's only one area of the game a divine weapon is handy for.

In the sewers, fall down hole, meet huge-eyed gassy things, get cursed, struggle on with half health. Hello, Gaping Dragon.

Fúck. Sake.

• Advertisement

In the sewers, fall down hole, meet huge-eyed gassy things, get cursed, struggle on with half health. Hello, Gaping Dragon.

Fúck. Sake.

Ooooh, the depths, not a fun place!

Teensy spoiler
    It's a completely optional area!

Ooooh, the depths, not a fun place!

Teensy spoiler
    It's a completely optional area!

Thank God, I'm getting out of there. Gassy curse monsters, slime dropping on my head, rats every few paces. Feck that.

Plus that bloody dragon.

Thank God, I'm getting out of there. Gassy curse monsters, slime dropping on my head, rats every few paces. Feck that.

Plus that bloody dragon.

Obviously I don't want to spoiler your completely, but as long as you have the master key you don't need to kill him!

I think even if you don't have the master key you can..your basically looking for a path to
    Blighttown, the Gaping Dragon drops said key you can use to enter it via the depths, but there are other ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Plus that bloody dragon.

The Gaping Dragon is one of the best spots for co-op I used to find. After you beat him just drop your summon sign a few times and you'll be rolling in souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Started another level 1 run. Only made it to the 4 Kings last time before levelling up to 15 to beat them. This damn game won't let me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Doing a "getting summoned for 4 kings" run. Getting lots of souls out of it and having some tense fights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

The gaping dragon is optional but the souls you get from him are delicious. Invaluable if your looking to get stuff upgraded early or go up a few levels. Its also really easy to summon/get summoned for and once you learn how to fight him its a breeze. Pine resin is your friend too as I think hes weak to lightning, I could be wrong though.
    Tips:

Cut his tail off as soon as possible, it makes attacking his arse way safer.
    Attack his arse but avoid the stump of a tail and his legs.
    Try to avoid being to the side of him or being too close, you want him to try slam you with his chest or be charging away from you.
    If he jumps run away... seriously.
    If he starts to gag also run away, he will puke purple stuff (weapon damaging?) that at a far distance is harmless
    He will try slam his chest into the ground, you can then smack his tiny head for big damage BUT get out of the way before he charges, after the charge is arse attack time like usual.
    Be aware that the back (water logged) part of the area is not solid ground, it drops of to death so be looking where you are running
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I distinctly remember the early bosses being harder.

Bet the Taurus demon on my first go :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Once you know what to expect, most boss fights are actually pretty easy. I've breezed through most of them this time, with Nito and Seath being the ones i had most trouble with on my initial playthrough.

Ornstein and Smough and still ****ers though (especially if you want Ornstein's armour).

• Advertisement

one thing i'd actually love in dark souls is the option to just play the boss fights outside of the story once you've finishyed the game

like jumping straight into the manus or artorias fights, that'd be fun

Advertisement