Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you can always head back to anor londo and then back to undead parish to do a bit of humanity farming around the place

if you
    rest at the bonfire under the dragon you can farm the 3 rats under the bridge for humanity

there might be better areas but thats the first that came to mind

and it's not really that much of a distance from where you are either, 5 minutes will get you there

The only annoying part of that trek is getting out of Sen's fortress, that stupid platform with the snake guy, lightning chuckers and scythes is irritating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well if you have the shortcut unlocked you just run out the front door

granted there may be a 1 in a whatever chance that the lizard bastard on the bridge is blocking you from getting out but while rage inducing i dont think it's all that common

well if you have the shortcut unlocked you just run out the front door

granted there may be a 1 in a whatever chance that the lizard bastard on the bridge is blocking you from getting out but while rage inducing i dont think it's all that common

Twice in a row :pac: fecker hit me and sent me into the pit below, oh hai titanite demon its been a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

HA! Finally beat them.

Ornstein, despite being faster was fairly easy. But Smough, that fat fúck, was a pain in the ass. Couldn't get near him on his own for two or three attempts and when I did his jumping lightning ass slam destroyed me but then I found a way. When he did the jumping hammer attack, nip to the side, heavy attack with the Uchi, roll backwards twice. Rinse and repeat, took a while but he didn't touch me once.

Beating bosses like that are very satisfying but thank fúck over.

Edit: Hello, giant boobie lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

I'm an idiot. Was fighting a certain someone in the DLC, we were both one hit from death and instead of healing up I got cocky and a poorly timed strong attack left me open. No big deal, let's just head back and try agai.....walked straight off a cliff. 30 humanity and 200k souls down the drain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

If you're stuck for humanity you can put down your own summon sign at the boss door and help someone else, no penalty if you die and you get humanity and souls every time you win

I've got a 10+ Shotel and apparently I can turn it into a Lightning Shotel or Quelaag's Furysword? Anyone know which is better?

Also, should I turn the Uchi into a Chaos Blade?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

J. Marston wrote: »
    I've got a 10+ Shotel and apparently I can turn it into a Lightning Shotel or Quelaag's Furysword? Anyone know which is better?

Depends on your level and character build. Tell us your stats + what your goal is and we might be able to advise.
    Harps wrote: »
    If you're stuck for humanity you can put down your own summon sign at the boss door and help someone else, no penalty if you die and you get humanity and souls every time you win

This is a fun way to earn souls, humanity, enjoy jolly cooperation and get better at bosses - but if you're actually looking to farm humanity it's best to absorb as much humanity as you can spare to increase your item discovery, wear any items that give you item discovery bonus and then farm the sewer rats for their humanity. Use humanity to make humanity.

Depends on your stats. At 40 dex my unupgraded furysword does 130 physical and 203 fire damage. I'd personally prefer it over a shotel as it scales with your stats and humanity and I think a better moveset but if your a lower level, lightning would probably do more damage.

And don't bother with the chaos blade, it drains your health and you need to keep ten humanity to make the best of it. You can make your own chaos weapons later without the health drain if you wanted to go that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I never really bothered farming humanity, with the fact that you lose it all every time you die I just never felt it was worth the time and effort of farming the rats, depends on your play style I suppose. Once you reach the Chasm of the Abyss its easy enough anyway

And I'd go with either +15 or +5 Lightning for the Uchi, much better than the Chaos Blade in the long run

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    I never really bothered farming humanity, with the fact that you lose it all every time you die I just never felt it was worth the time and effort of farming the rats, depends on your play style I suppose. Once you reach the Chasm of the Abyss its easy enough anyway

And I'd go with either +15 or +5 Lightning for the Uchi, much better than the Chaos Blade in the long run

You don't lose item humanity which is what you get by farming it from rats as I described. Humanity earned from boss fights can be lost at death, though. The more humanity you have on you the higher your curse resistance, item discovery and general other bonuses and perks which increase your chances for survival. Trust me, do not horde, ignore or be skimpy with your humanity, use it - else all it will ever be is something to lose.

I usually kept my in-body humanity at a minimum of 10 and had lots of item humanity in inventory as backup. It's very handy being able to kindle, go human form and get items at will. It's also an effective healing item (especially in PvP) which may seem strange to those who've never had much of it but it's a legit strategy.

Just tried a few damage test with my Solaire build against the everlasting dragon to give an idea of different styles. These are all one full stamina bar of one handed light attacks totalling 8 swings each at 30 endurance. Using the Sunlight Straight Sword variations.

+5 chaos w/0 humanity-728
    w/10 humanity-1136

+5 lightning-1224

+15 normal-992 (20/20 strength and dex)

+15 normal w/ Sunlight Blade buff-3320
    (Darkmoon talisman + ring of suns firstborn)

Depends on your level and character build. Tell us your stats + what your goal is and we might be able to advise.
    Level 68

30 Vitality
    10 Attunement
    28 Endurance
    21 Strength
    30 Dexterity
    10 Resistance
    9 Intelligence
    11 Faith.

Haven't put anything in Attunement, Resistance, Intelligence or Faith.

My goal? Probably a one handed sword that does shedloads of damage. I'm no good with big weapons like Axes, Greatswords and Halberds.

Level 68

30 Vitality
    10 Attunement
    28 Endurance
    21 Strength
    30 Dexterity
    10 Resistance
    9 Intelligence
    11 Faith.

My goal? Probably a one handed sword that does shedloads of damage. I'm no good with big weapons like Axes, Greatswords and Halberds.

I wouldn't recommend going lighting as that's for lower levels and you seem to be investing in Dex, Str and End enough to make it worth going for regular upgrade or Quelaag's Furysword depending on what your playstyle is. It's not all about numbers so higher damage isn't always the best. If you're kicking ass with your shotel as it is now maybe hang onto it. Quelaag's Furysword would have more range than your shotel, however (and some sick special effects). A Chaos Uchi is not a bad way to go with your stats as long as you have the humanity to back it and as always, if it fits your playstyle.

Good, don't... ever. Res stat is completely useless in this game (might change for 2). Don't invest in Int or Fth either unless you're going for magic/faith builds. Attunement is still an option if you're using pyromancy.

Cool, thanks for the tips. Think I'll try out Quelaag's Furysword.

Good, don't... ever. Res stat is completely useless in this game (might change for 2). Don't invest in Int or Fth either unless you're going for magic/faith builds. Attunement is still an option if you're using pyromancy.

Indeed, there's loads of armour, moss, rings, weapons and such that help poison/fire/magic resistance you pick up along the way anyway. waste of a stat they should just drop it altogether for DS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So. This is my first time using the uchitanga, and all I can say is.

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE.

Although when I was messing with it I accidentally hit the blacksmith and had to pay 16k souls for the pleasure of his services again.

Vicxas wrote: »
    So. This is my first time using the uchitanga, and all I can say is.

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE.

Although when I was messing with it I accidentally hit the blacksmith and had to pay 16k souls for the pleasure of his services again.

The Uchi is brilliant, it scales with dexterity too so it'll last longer than say the Drake sword, which is overpowered at the beginning and mostly useless later on.

I jumped back into a Sorcerer build I started a while back, still in the early stages about to head to Blighttown, but man it's basically easy mode, soul arrows one hit every hollow and the Black Knights go down in a couple of hits. When does Intelligence give diminishing returns? have it at level 30 as was just bringing that up, doesn't it level out at a certain point or is that way higher?

krudler wrote: »
    I jumped back into a Sorcerer build I started a while back, still in the early stages about to head to Blighttown, but man it's basically easy mode, soul arrows one hit every hollow and the Black Knights go down in a couple of hits. When does Intelligence give diminishing returns? have it at level 30 as was just bringing that up, doesn't it level out at a certain point or is that way higher?

You get diminishing returns after 40 on all stats. Bring your intelligence to at least 44 so you can use crystal soul spear. That spell hits like a truck. I have an int/dex build with 50 int and 40 dex. The defence is a little low but you can do big damage with spells or a crystal buffed dex weapon so your not relying purely on spells.

• Advertisement

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    You get diminishing returns after 40 on all stats. Bring your intelligence to at least 44 so you can use crystal soul spear. That spell hits like a truck. I have an int/dex build with 50 int and 40 dex. The defence is a little low but you can do big damage with spells or a crystal buffed dex weapon so your not relying purely on spells.

Cool, it's still in the stages where going up a level doesn't cost a lot of souls so will do some farming or head to a few trickier areas early and reap some rewards. I totally forgot about the rusted iron ring so Blighttown is off limits till I head back to the Asylum, will just do a suicide run to get it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You can't actually get the rusted iron ring the first time you're there anyway, and it's actually really easy to get when you go back. You don't have to fight any of the tougher enemies, or the boss.

It's makes exploring blightown so easy, and there's a great spot to farm green shards for magic weapons down there too.

Kiith wrote: »
    You can't actually get the rusted iron ring the first time you're there anyway, and it's actually really easy to get when you go back. You don't have to fight any of the tougher enemies, or the boss.

It's makes exploring blightown so easy, and there's a great spot to farm green shards for magic weapons down there too.

Oh yeah I meant I went to Blightown before going back to the Asylum the 2nd time, forgot it was there, not a hope am I fighting that other demon in the asylum he gave me so much trouble on my first playthrough it was ridiculous.

Are the crimson robes in blightown on the side you come on the valley of drakes side or the other side? I'm not going to bother with the upper levels just want to get Queelag out of the way and farm titanite

Oh yeah I meant I went to Blightown before going back to the Asylum the 2nd time, forgot it was there, not a hope am I fighting that other demon in the asylum he gave me so much trouble on my first playthrough it was ridiculous.

Are the crimson robes in blightown on the side you come on the valley of drakes side or the other side? I'm not going to bother with the upper levels just want to get Queelag out of the way and farm titanite

If I remember right, you have to cross that nasty branch above the elevator to get the robes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, it's easy to get them if you enter from the other end. On the way down to Queelag. You can't miss them i think.

Used them for quite a while when i started my mage.

If I remember right, you have to cross that nasty branch above the elevator to get the robes.

Ah yes I remember now, those stupid platforms that sway with your weight were a pain, usually just legged it. Am gonna try not kill the NPCs this time so will open up a few side missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

If you are coming from the Valley of the Drakes into Blighttown, when you climb down the first two ladders you can jump off a ledge(s) that leads directly to the robes. Did a video on it here.

If you are coming from the Valley of the Drakes into Blighttown, when you climb down the first two ladders you can jump off a ledge(s) that leads directly to the robes. Did a video on it here.

That's handy. A similar thing I just learned was how to use the first ladder shortcut in new londo from watching the squiiddish playthrough posted recently. I have hundreds of hours in this game and always thought that ladder was useless.

That's handy. A similar thing I just learned was how to use the first ladder shortcut in new londo from watching the squiiddish playthrough posted recently. I have hundreds of hours in this game and always thought that ladder was useless.

Is that the one near the first two ghosts? it's handy when you
    drain the water

• Advertisement

Is that the one near the first two ghosts? it's handy when you
    drain the water

No, the one after the first building. It allows to skip that building and brings to the walkway with ghosts underneath. Up the stairs in front of first building, just walk off the edge to the right then climb the ladder which you should have kicked down.

Advertisement