Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

krudler wrote: »
    He is easy if you go in late in the game, the catacombs is an odd area, is ridiculously hard if you're a new player and don't have a divine weapon, yet you can breeze through it later. There's a great shortcut you can take that skips most of it. Pinwheel's backstory gave me the sads :( It's well worth watching the lore videos on youtube when you finish it, the amount of backstory that isn't very obvious is crazy.

As much as I'm enjoying the game, the vagueness of the storyline and characters is a bit poor.

Seems to be picking up a bit now where I am though, and I seem to have a purpose other "ring two bells and something happens".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

J. Marston wrote: »
    As much as I'm enjoying the game, the vagueness of the storyline and characters is a bit poor.

Seems to be picking up a bit now where I am though, and I seem to have a purpose other "ring two bells and something happens".

See the thing is, all the story is there, it's just not spoonfed to players through cutscenes. Not knowing exactly why you're doing what you're told to do is part of the experience. Nothing is really what it seems in Dark Souls.
    I thought the same that the vagueness was poor storytelling, but the more you progress and find out the motives behind some of the NPC characters like Siegmeyer and Lautrec or Solair, they all have great plot arcs. And why the bosses are doing what they're doing it makes much more sense. The backstory is actually really complex it's just not very clear, I can't wait to see what they come with for Dark Souls 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

J. Marston wrote: »

I was like that too but you have to pay really close attention to all the information. Also on a first play through you wont talk to everyone so you will miss out on bits. Also the aota dlc has info too.
    When you look at the lore vidoes (one of my posts has the link I think) some of the bits are really obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

The lore/story of Dark Souls is usually told by NPC Dialogue, Item descriptions and just general references around the world. E.g Anor Londo not having any statues of Gwyn's First Born, the crumbled alter of the Sunlight Covenant and also the description of the Sunlight Blade.

The lore isn't straight forward like a cutscene, but it's there. However From Software did rush the development of the game and many references were left out and some NPC's had major parts in the story. For example, Oscar wasn't originally supposed to die in the Asyulm and was supposed to appear throughout the entire game and helps you fight Gwyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

The lore/story of Dark Souls is usually told by NPC Dialogue, Item descriptions and just general references around the world. E.g Anor Londo not having any statues of Gwyn's First Born, the crumbled alter of the Sunlight Covenant and also the description of the Sunlight Blade.

The lore isn't straight forward like a cutscene, but it's there. However From Software did rush the development of the game and many references were left out and some NPC's had major parts in the story. For example, Oscar wasn't originally supposed to die in the Asyulm and was supposed to appear throughout the entire game and helps you fight Gwyn.

Andre the blacksmith was originally meant to be Gwyn's firstborn but that was cut. And Shiva had an entire sidequest but that was cut too, along with Oscar supposed to be your buddy throughout the game before he turns on you.And I believe the entire Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith areas are largely unfinished due to it being rushed for release.

• Advertisement

I thought it was a brilliant little touch that I never spotted at first, when at the very beginning when you reach the first bonfire and open the door to where the demon jumps down, if you open the door and look up you can actually see the demon up on the asylum roof. When you find Oscar he is lying in a pile of rubble with a hole in the ceiling so he was obviously up there fighting the demon and got flung through it and mortally injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Im just wondering how am I fixed for end game gear, I fought Gywn for the 1st time there and got painfully destroyed!

My gear is - Balder Side Sword +15, Dragon Crest Shield (for the fire resist), The Silver Knight Armor full set, wearing Ring of Favor and Protection and Havel's Ring.

I'm Level 81 and my relevant stats are Vit - 31, End 31 and Dex 46.

Equip load is 35.8/127.8

I would say I have most gear in the game, just wondering is there anyway I could improve it?

Im just wondering how am I fixed for end game gear, I fought Gywn for the 1st time there and got painfully destroyed!

My gear is - Balder Side Sword +15, Dragon Crest Shield (for the fire resist), The Silver Knight Armor full set, wearing Ring of Favor and Protection and Havel's Ring.

I'm Level 81 and my relevant stats are Vit - 31, End 31 and Dex 46.

Equip load is 35.8/127.8

I would say I have most gear in the game, just wondering is there anyway I could improve it?

If you have spells like great magic weapon and power within use em, do a ton of damage to him, you can parry his attacks too.

I gotta get me one of these Balder side swords everyone seems to love, do Balder knights drop them or are they found someplace particular? there's a good few of them around the Parish so could just do some farming I guess, I dont have the serpent ring yet though.

I gotta get me one of these Balder side swords everyone seems to love, do Balder knights drop them or are they found someplace particular? there's a good few of them around the Parish so could just do some farming I guess, I dont have the serpent ring yet though.

Balder Swag Sword Baby. Up your item discovery and farm the parish. Beware though, as with everything popular in any game ever it gets ragged on by the vocal minority of snobbish elites.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i always thought us BSS bro's were the snobs, looking down on all the other **** using their inferior lordran made swords

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Balder Swag Sword Baby. Up your item discovery and farm the parish. Beware though, as with everything popular in any game ever it gets ragged on by the vocal minority of snobbish elites.

What's so great about it? heavy damage? It pains me not having enough strenght yet to wield the Zweihander but I know if I start using it again my build wont be much different from the last one I finished the game with, familiarity and all that. It's nice going into bosses not knowing how to approach them with magic.

it scales very very well with Dex, it's very fast and it has an excellent moveset. not a wasted move in its arsenal, great 1 on 1 or for crowds.

Sounds good, I have the drake sword and cant be arsed using it, using either the Uchi or morning star, where do I get the great scythe? wanna give that a bash

Sounds good, I have the drake sword and cant be arsed using it, using either the Uchi or morning star, where do I get the great scythe? wanna give that a bash

Like Sir Digby said, it's got good scaling, a fantastic move set and great reach. Throw a weapon buff on it and all will fall before you. Great scythe is in the catacombs. Drop off the second rotating bridge to a small platform below.

right.. might as well just do another playthrough I suppose

this time though i'm spending as much time as I can as a human. if I have humanity it gets used. let the invasions begin.

must remember to sin early by murdering the undead merchant.

this time though i'm spending as much time as I can as a human. if I have humanity it gets used. let the invasions begin.

I've never let him live, the Uchi is too good to not get at that point. First time I felt bad "aww, who's little Yulia? was that bad..holy sh1t look at this sword!"

Started another build earlier myself. That's all my save slots used and now I have to jump between 4 newish builds. Been wanting to do a tank build for a long time so figured why not. Just stomped through everything on my wY to the depths with the Zwei.

EDIT:Walked into the Capra with 86 poise. His first charge barely drained my stamina.

I just simply cannot beat Gwyn, I dont know what it is, his attacks are so relentless, I have almost no time to heal or re gain stamina.

go human, summon help

• Advertisement

I just simply cannot beat Gwyn, I dont know what it is, his attacks are so relentless, I have almost no time to heal or re gain stamina.

When you need to heal just get a pillar between him and you, bait an attack, avoid and heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Just cannot beat Artorious. He just spams the ****e out of you.

And there's no one here to summon :(

Uchitanga also does not fare well against him.

Vicxas wrote: »

Take off all your armor and try again. Don't get hit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

What platform and what level?

backstab and parry. or tank up and hit him with the heaviest weapons you have, I dont think fire does anything to him but I found great magic weapon did.

Got annoyed fighting Gwyn so I've started a new game, planning a pure strength build.

Is the Zweihander an end game weapon for a strength build?

artorias and gwyn would be terrifying fights on anything other than <25%, can't imagine them at all

even if you tossed some good armour on and equipped havels so you could get the roll

If you can parry hes fairly easy.
    I cant parry but I did find
    way over on the back left after you enter the room is a big pillar he cant reach you through run around that and only hit/heal when he goes to grab/kick you the other times keep your shield up. There is 4 pillars in beside each other in a square it is not there it is another big pillar about 10ft wide

Got annoyed fighting Gwyn so I've started a new game, planning a pure strength build.

Is the Zweihander an end game weapon for a strength build?

Was my baby in my first playthrough, and I didn't even have the correct stats for it apparently :pac: all I know is it let me kill Seath in about 5 hits, and I demolished Gywn on my first attempt with it.

• Advertisement

I used the crystal halberd and green crest shield, only hit/cured after his sliding or jump attacks, you need to dodge the majority of his attacks or youll be in big trouble. Was an epic 15/20min battle.
    When he goes to power up you either need to stumble him by dealing about 500 damage or avoid him like crazy until it wears off.

Advertisement