Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I think it's time to invest in vitality and endurance, which one affects poise? I want to totally tank up with this strenght build, have Siegmeyer's armour and the Black Iron armour as well so am going for heavy hitting over mobility. that black knight greatsword is pretty funky, really long animation time on the heavy attack though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

poise is only armour
    or that.. ring that gives pose

wolfs ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

krudler wrote: »
    I think it's time to invest in vitality and endurance, which one affects poise?

Neither, that's purely from armour (and the wolf ring).

Edit: Ninja'd!

Neither, that's purely from armour (and the wolf ring).

Edit: Ninja'd!

Ah ok I thought a stat affected it too, tank up time it is so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I just Havel it up whenever i need to tank something. Hammered the 4 Kings last night by using his armour and 2H the furysword. Spent more time waiting for the next boss to spawn as i did fighting.

Getting hit? Pft, whatever...doesn't bother me :P

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I just Havel it up whenever i need to tank something. Hammered the 4 Kings last night by using his armour and 2H the furysword. Spent more time waiting for the next boss to spawn as i did fighting.

Getting hit? Pft, whatever...doesn't bother me :P

Will be getting his armour soon enough, but there's not a hope I'm fighting O&S with how my vitality is they'll probably one shot me :/

You can get it well before the boss fight though. Just after 2nd first bonfire, behind a fireplace.

I was hammered the last time i fought O&S, so i had to get some help. Had two people come in and helped me get Ornsteins armour.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

After seeing this feckin thread popping up the whole time I've decided to start another playthough. Went for a strength build and rockin it with the Black Knight Sword +5. Went two handed against Smough, while Solaire distracted Ornstein, and I anniliated him. Dealt some pretty decent damage against Ornstein too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I think 45 is the point where DEX has maximum value (also 45 is where increase casting speed happens) so I wouldn't put values in DEX above 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So Orsteins Armour helps big time fighting Artorious, now I can get him down to 35% health before he kills me until I die from it...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tellin ya, go without armour or with a very light set so you can get under 25% roll

then just roll roll roll stab stab stab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

In honour of my 10,000 post :pac:

DARK+SOULS+GIF+DUMP+_bb126376a99d8b94657879fead3f5fc7.gif

You can get it well before the boss fight though. Just after 2nd first bonfire, behind a fireplace.

I was hammered the last time i fought O&S, so i had to get some help. Had two people come in and helped me get Ornsteins armour.

To get Ornstein's armour do you kill Smough first?

To get Ornstein's armour do you kill Smough first?

Yep. You get the Leo ring as well (boosts counter damage by 40%).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Speed and stamina is the best way to beat Artorias, under 25% weight is the only way I could beat him, his relentless attacking means you're always out of stamina during the brief opportunities you get to attack him of you keep blocking, roll and dodge and use a weapon with good reach.

I used Ornsteins armour, silver knight helmet and gold hemmed for the rest for my first playthrough and it works well, with Havel's ring and high END it keeps me under 25% while giving me good poise and defence, looks great as well. Try the grass crest shield and cloranthy ring for much faster stamina recovery

I just blocked his attacks, and used the Cloranthy Ring to regen my stamina much quicker. Had to dodge the odd attack, but once i was smart with the shield it wasn't actually that bad (after 10-15 deaths that is). Silver Knight Shield +5 is a must though (best shield in the game imo)

Harps wrote: »
    Speed and stamina is the best way to beat Artorias, under 25% weight is the only way I could beat him, his relentless attacking means you're always out of stamina during the brief opportunities you get to attack him of you keep blocking, roll and dodge and use a weapon with good reach.

I used Ornsteins armour, silver knight helmet and gold hemmed for the rest for my first playthrough and it works well, with Havel's ring and high END it keeps me under 25% while giving me good poise and defence, looks great as well. Try the grass crest shield and cloranthy ring for much faster stamina recovery

Does having both equipped make stamina recovery faster or do they just cancel each other out? I usually have the ring as the shield doesnt have 100% defence but something like the spider shield or Dragon Crest one does.

How I beat him as a SL2 was wear Gold Hemmed Set to keep light, Grasscrest shield/Cloranthy Ring for extra stamina regen. Weapons of choice were using Pyromancy Combustions, Light Crossbow for extra range when needed and used a +15 Barbed sword IIRC. Using Green Blossoms for additional stamina regeneration was handy too.

Basically as peeps mentioned above, just dodge and dodge until you see his pattern and attack at his openings.

The only other effective way is using a Greatshield to absorb his attacks, you'll need one with high stability and you'll need a lot of stamina as well to block everything.

Does having both equipped make stamina recovery faster or do they just cancel each other out? I usually have the ring as the shield doesnt have 100% defence but something like the spider shield or Dragon Crest one does.

You can stack all stamina regen items together. For maximum effect you would equip:
    - Mask of the Child
    - Grass Crest Shield
    - Cloranthy Ring
    - Consume Green Blossom during fights

Your stamina regeneration would be over +100%

You can stack all stamina regen items together. For maximum effect you would equip:
    - Mask of the Child
    - Grass Crest Shield
    - Cloranthy Ring
    - Consume Green Blossom during fights

Your stamina regeneration would be over +100%

Vunderbar, will use both the ring and shield getting around then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I hammered Artorias with Soul Spear last time, am coming up to him with a melee build now and not fancying it as much:P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I tried with the Shadow armour, but if I get smacked once he makes me his bitch

Can you get the Firekeepers armour in Anor Londo? saw someone wearing something very similar to it

Can you get the Firekeepers armour in Anor Londo? saw someone wearing something very similar to it

Yep but you need to kill
    Gwyndolin
    to access the area that has the chest that contains it.

After around 2 years, and playing across two different platforms, with god only knows how many characters...

I finally killed Gwyn and got to NG+ :P

After around 2 years, and playing across two different platforms, with god only knows how many characters...

I finally killed Gwyn and got to NG+ :P

And now you get to do it all again, but harder!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

I'm really surprised to hear all the horror stories about O&S and Artorias! I'm nothing more than a passable Dark Souls player, and often have my ass handed to me in PvP, but I really didn't find those fight all that difficult in any of my builds. The bosses that had me wanting to smash my controller were the Centipede Demon, 4 Kings, Kalameet, Seath when I wanted his tail, and Manus. Each of them took multiple tries before they went down. That damn Centipede is the WORST!

I'm really surprised to hear all the horror stories about O&S and Artorias! I'm nothing more than a passable Dark Souls player, and often have my ass handed to me in PvP, but I really didn't find those fight all that difficult in any of my builds. The bosses that had me wanting to smash my controller were the Centipede Demon, 4 Kings, Kalameet, Seath when I wanted his tail, and Manus. Each of them took multiple tries before they went down. That damn Centipede is the WORST!

I think it took me 3 attempts at the Four Kings, maybe the same at the Centipede Demon. He's much easier if you equip the gold hemmed robe and leg it to the right when you enter the chamber there's a much bigger area to fight him on you can get to, less lava near you so can hack away.
    The boss that annoyed me the most was the demon in the asylum when you go back, good jesus it must have taken me 15-20 attempts at him, just couldn't get the technique down, was either too close when the fire blast when off even behind him or he hammered me trying to get some distance.

Killed Pinwheel on my first attempt, and Nito, Seath took two, Gwyn was first attempt. Capra Demon took a sh1tload as well (bloody dogs). O&S was a good few as well.

Black Knight Greatsword +5, mother of god..

• Advertisement

Black Knight Greatsword +5, mother of god..

Yeeep!

I killed someone possibly very high level (like level 500 or more) with that in two hits during PvP once and got 800k souls for killing.

Old screenshot afterwards with my Black Knight Greatsword with my sweet 800k+ reward.

It's a good sword but the two handed strong attack can be a bit slow, you almost have to predict when the enemy is going to go to use it effectively.

Advertisement