Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Cydoniac wrote: »
    He's a good distraction. That battle is ferociously hard, especially without the
    pendant that protects magic
    . Took me easily 5 hours worth of attempts to finally kill him. I'm honestly not sure if I even want to bother with him on NG+, bar getting his soul again

If you just want his soul +14/+15 a long bow, or black bow of pharis, load up on feather arrows, and a hawk ring and you can take him out without going through the fog gate. It's pretty much cheesing the fight completely, but if you've beaten him once and just want his soul, and the souls he provides I'd say go for it, esp on NG+ and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

What do people think about PvP in Oolacile Township? I get my ass handed to me quite often there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

If you just want his soul +14/+15 a long bow, or black bow of pharis, load up on feather arrows, and a hawk ring and you can take him out without going through the fog gate. It's pretty much cheesing the fight completely, but if you've beaten him once and just want his soul, and the souls he provides I'd say go for it, esp on NG+ and beyond.
    I will never cheap out on a game like Dark Souls. I do know the strategy you are talking about and I would totally do it in any other game, but this game demands that I give it a tough but fair fight.
    What do people think about PvP in Oolacile Township? I get my ass handed to me quite often there
    Two words. DARK MAGIC

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Two words. DARK MAGIC

Oh I've used that a lot there, it does work sometimes. The most infuriating opponent for me though is a fast one who flips and tumbles all over the place, taking advantage of the invincibility frames when tumbling. The same opponents love to catch u in completely improbale backstabs. I'm often left wondering "HTF did he do that??"
    My level 120 strength/faith build struggles horribly against those bastards:(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Oh I've used that a lot there, it does work sometimes. The most infuriating opponent for me though is a fast one who flips and tumbles all over the place, taking advantage of the invincibility frames when tumbling. The same opponents love to catch u in completely improbale backstabs. I'm often left wondering "HTF did he do that??"
    My level 120 strength/faith build struggles horribly against those bastards:(

Dex builds are great for pvp, roll like a mofo, spent ages in Anor Londo on the bridge section letting myself get invaded, good craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Haven't played for too long, think it's about time for another playthrough :D
    Or may get going on my glass cannon pvp build again

krudler wrote: »
    Dex builds are great for pvp, roll like a mofo, spent ages in Anor Londo on the bridge section letting myself get invaded, good craic.

I love invading in Anor Londo with my lvl 55 mage. Sometimes I like to head up the ramp where the Silver Knight archers are and act as a 3rd archer. If the person I invaded manages to get up the ramp and past me I just blast him in the back with Dark Bead or wait until he gets to the fog gate before backstabbing him. I'm an evil twat I know :pac:
    To make up for my Dickwraith excursions I do leave a lot of summon signs so that I can help people thru tough areas.

I love invading in Anor Londo with my lvl 55 mage. Sometimes I like to head up the ramp where the Silver Knight archers are and act as a 3rd archer. If the person I invaded manages to get up the ramp and past me I just blast him in the back with Dark Bead or wait until he gets to the fog gate before backstabbing him. I'm an evil twat I know :pac:
    To make up for my Dickwraith excursions I do leave a lot of summon signs so that I can help people thru tough areas.

I haven't talked to Frampt yet on this current build so I think I'll become a Darkwraith, used up my red eye orbs.

I did chuckle at a guy who summoned me just past the elevator in Anor Londo, to go up the ramp and in the broken window, I stupidly died on the walkway where the painting guardians are lobbing knives at you and felt like a tit. I threw down another summon sign and wound up in the same guys game again and he gave the "ah come on!" gesture, I made it up to him though and there was much jolly co-operation :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Back stab is pretty stupid in pvp i find. Half the time enemies are only slightly to your side, never mind behind you, yet still get a hit. The area where it succeeds should be much smaller imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I have enough money to buy this game now . Should I ? I heard it takes over your life :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I have enough money to buy this game now . Should I ? I heard it takes over your life :)

but it improves every aspect of your life while it does it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

but it improves every aspect of your life while it does it

Except your rage issues.

Yes a million times, hmv have the Prepare To Die edition on their website for 9.99 but I haven't seen it store yet. It's not any harder just comes with the DLC included, which is excellent in it's own right.

Would it be mental to buy the special edition of it cheap if I already have the regular one? spotted it someplace for a steal, suppose I could just trade my regular copy in for a couple of quid towards a psn voucher or something, I want that art book.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

One of the best games you'll ever play, get it.

Had a laugh co-oping with two lads last night in Anor Londo, one of them was a cleric and was crazy powerful one shotting everything, he made mincemeat of O&S before me or the guy who summoned us could get a look in, I did get the kill on super Ornstein by stabbing him in the arse though, satisfying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is the PC version in any way decent controls wise? I can't hack PC ports with borked controls (oh hai dead space, spec ops and all you guyz)

you'll need a gamepad

you'll need a many gamepads

:pac:

the only time I ever got mind numbingly angry at the game was
    manus. **** you sif.

the only time I ever got mind numbingly angry at the game was
    manus. **** you sif.

I haven't gotten to him yet but have seen clips, not looking forward to it tbh.

The sections that annoyed me were Blightown, cos fcuk that place, and the bit in
    Anor Londo with the Silver Knight archers on the ramp, it's easy to get up there but I'd either lock on and fall off or misjudge a roll and get twatted by the one in front of you, it's always funny when he falls off himself though.
    Oh and in
    New Londo Ruins, that one room with like a million ghosts in it and a broken stairs outside

oh and a special mention to flame hollows, absolute most annoying enemies in the game hands down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Finised NG+. Done with Dark Souls now until DS2.

Second run through was actually easy except for one or two tricky bits. I was fairly over-powered going into the Gwyn fight. 45 Vitality, Endurance, Strength and Dexterity with a fully upgraded Paladin set and +5 Black Knight Halberd. Gwyn got his ass kicked.

I started NG++ and finished off the Asylum Demon with my fists, just for the craic :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

you'll need a gamepad

Suppose I could just play it on my xbox like some grubby console peasant :(

Bambi wrote: »

well for a start it's cheaper on pc as the steam sale is on atm

plus the pc version does look better than the consoles versions (once you install dsfix, which is literally just open rar archive, drag into dark souls folder. feel superior to console gaming peasants)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Bambi wrote: »
    No! If you can run it on PC at all, get it. It's only 10 euro on Steam (it'll dip to 6 on their next big sale guaranteed) and the 360 controller works perfectly with it. DSfix solves all the problems with framerate, and it actually runs better in places like Blightown. I have a 2Ghz i3, 3GB RAM and a Radeon 4570M and I can get it running smoothly.

dark souls will probably be six again on jan 3rd, they always redo their more popular sale items on the last day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yep Dark Souls 80% off on steam. €6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Amazon only has the prepare to die edition . It is worth the extra ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Amazon only has the prepare to die edition . It is worth the extra ?

Definitely, the DLC is amazing. In fact I'd recommend not getting the normal edition since it's so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Definitely, the DLC is amazing. In fact I'd recommend not getting the normal edition since it's so good.

Can't recommend this enough. DLC surpasses the original content in many respects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

If you're familiar with buying from Amazon.com (US), Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is €4.38 or so if you want to save a couple more quid.

Advertisement