Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Is Dukes Archives in Anor Londo? Past the bonfire where I accidentally killed the soul keeper?

If I'm finding catacombs/tomb of giants too tough, I might just warp to Anor Londo then (that lordvessel was a genius idea and introduced at just the right time!)

Please don't mention Lost Izalith again, that place was the devs going 'wouldn't it be funny if we took a load of bosses and dumped them randomly in this place!' It is tempting to go back for the sunlight maggot thing though as I read it's there.

I'm leaning ever closer to the DLC :D

Oh get the maggot, you will need it for the catacombs, well need is subjective but I never liked going in without it on my 1st few runs, lantern is ok but takes up a hand lol

Yes archives is where you think it is, not 100% but i think thats a one way trip until you get to the end of it ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I made a new build after my first character which was pretty useless. Currently at 35 STR, 20 DEX, 30 END and VIT. Should I pump END to 40 or keep going with STR? Also is there any really useful weapons I need to level my DEX past 20 for? I'm currently using a BKS+5 (not the best weapon I know but I'm heavily invested in it).

Also, what can I do with all of these boss souls? They seem pretty useless to me. Should I feed them to Frampt or is there worthwhile weapons to be made using them?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I made a new build after my first character which was pretty useless. Currently at 35 STR, 20 DEX, 30 END and VIT. Should I pump END to 40 or keep going with STR? Also is there any really useful weapons I need to level my DEX past 20 for? I'm currently using a BKS+5 (not the best weapon I know but I'm heavily invested in it).

Also, what can I do with all of these boss souls? They seem pretty useless to me. Should I feed them to Frampt or is there worthwhile weapons to be made using them?
    Use the Qualeeg Soul and upgrade a +10 curved sword to make the Fury sword, it's absolutely class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I made a new build after my first character which was pretty useless. Currently at 35 STR, 20 DEX, 30 END and VIT. Should I pump END to 40 or keep going with STR? Also is there any really useful weapons I need to level my DEX past 20 for?

At 35 STR you can already wield the Large or Great Clubs (A scaling at +10, prob the best STR weapons) and can two hand the big Dragon weapons (which you'd want to two hand anyway).

There are only the 2 spears (Ornsteins and Silver Knight) that need big DEX to wield if I remember correctly but the Great Scythe and Balder Side Sword scale well with DEX so you can level it to increase damage if you fancy either of thsoe weapons.

Try out the weapons and if you like them then pump the relevant stat

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Is Dukes Archives in Anor Londo? Past the bonfire where I accidentally killed the soul keeper?

If I'm finding catacombs/tomb of giants too tough, I might just warp to Anor Londo then (that lordvessel was a genius idea and introduced at just the right time!)

Please don't mention Lost Izalith again, that place was the devs going 'wouldn't it be funny if we took a load of bosses and dumped them randomly in this place!' It is tempting to go back for the sunlight maggot thing though as I read it's there.

I'm leaning ever closer to the DLC :D

Dooo ittt! genuinely has the best boss fights in the entire game, you'll get tested constantly, the areas are plenty big too it's not like its a couple of hours it's a fairly decent chunk of an area and gives you loads of play time through summoning and invasions.

Lost Izalith isn't too bad, loads of skippable enemies and come on twatting a Taurus Demon about is great fun after all the trouble the very first one gives new players :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNfi2dtTBZA

another blind playthrough of Dark souls

only on ep 2 but looks interesting enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNfi2dtTBZA

another blind playthrough of Dark souls

only on ep 2 but looks interesting enough

I actually like watching blind playthroughs, it's fun seeing people's reactions to stuff you already know about, even though Pewdiepie is annoying after a while he got really into it and it was fun seeing him defeat bosses

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That was entertaining. I watched 5 parts but im pretty sure he's faking. I'm not sure why anybody would bother but I'm almost positive that's not a blind playthrough as he claims. The alarm bells were ringing pretty consistently. He makes it look good like at the end of part 5 where he "accidentally" pulls a load of black knights and dies.....but it was forced. He is not making enough mistakes.

Why isn't he wasting any stats on int, attunement, faith, etc? Everyone does that their first time. He just.....knew to pump dex and vit. His combat movement is too slick for a newb. and he's equipping items on the dpad down estus button from like the very beginning. Who knows to do that on their first try?

He is naturally doing way too much without any mistakes. He found the vendor in the undead burg, didn't attack him and bought a bow and 300 arrows. He naturally just started using it to lure enemies out 1 by 1.

When he fought the Taurus demon, he spotted the ladder almost instantly and used it to plunge attack. He even applied pine resin before the first fight! Who does that at that exact moment on their first try...

He picked up the morning star and didn't try to equip it....but the moment he finds the battle axe he wants to equip it because he knows its a good weapon. He even ups his strength without checking how much he needs for the axe first.

The way he finds the ladder shortcut for the bonfire beneath the drake bridge was pretty ridiculous too. He knows its there. He's doing this a lot. He knew to avoid the graveyard....he knew not to take the lift down to new londo ruins. He walks to the lift in firelink.....and just turns around.

He "knew" to avoid the black knight in the undead burg. He'll gladly run towards the scary mechanical bull without a comment but a slightly larger than average enemy he "doesn't wanna face yet!" causes him to pause.

Turning right at the mechanical bull to see the hollow hiding there was a big tell. Why didn't he check left? And i'd love to know how many first time players manage to stop the hollow from shutting that gate at the bull.

The biggest one for me was when he got the kite shield. It's actually weaker in resistances to the one he had already which he notes....and yet he equips it instantly anyway. Because it has more stability and as an experienced player he knows this but a newb doesn't.

Its fine. It's not a big deal. But its kind of disingenuous to call it a blind playthrough. It clearly isn't. I'm not saying he's a pro but he has had to have watched streams or seen a buddy play through some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I must say though, his reaction to the Gargoyles seemed rather genuine! :P Perhaps his knowledge of the game only extended to the first hour or two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

he says in the firsdt video that he asked people for a tiny bit of hints after episode 1, cos he was 100% clueless and would rather a slightly firmer footing

so yeah it's not 100% blind, but it's near enough i think.and he is actually reading the descriptions for everything, like...everything, which is how you learn dark souls

• Advertisement

You'd need a lot of patience for a 100% blind playthrough alright, most people would be put off from the getgo, I know I would have if I didnt have this thread and some tips from youtube comments and the like. I know half the experience is walking into a room getting killed and then knowing what not to do next time but there's only so much of that you can take.

I'm blinding Tomb of Giants at the moment. What an absolute pain in the whole! I was using the lantern head thing as a weapon thinking it might light the way when I hit someone....no....no it doesn't. Finally used it instead of shield and hey presto. Then....it turned into Doom 3! Oh look, a big scary f*cker, better equip my shield, ah damn!

Just reached the 2nd bonfire but I'm basically sprinting through the level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should talk to Patches down there. He's great craic.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Oh think I met him, Jaysus he showed me a great treasure spot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Oh think I met him, Jaysus he showed me a great treasure spot!

He has his uses if I recall :D

Did you spare him ?

calex71 wrote: »
    He has his uses if I recall :D

Did you spare him ?

I did, Once I met him the 2nd time I looked up if there should be a reason why I shouldn't kill him, looks like there was. I'll have my vengeance though.

I already lost the Pyromancy guy from Firelink Shrine, don't want to mess up any more NPC's.

I'm blinding Tomb of Giants at the moment. What an absolute pain in the whole! I was using the lantern head thing as a weapon thinking it might light the way when I hit someone....no....no it doesn't. Finally used it instead of shield and hey presto. Then....it turned into Doom 3! Oh look, a big scary f*cker, better equip my shield, ah damn!

Just reached the 2nd bonfire but I'm basically sprinting through the level.

If you have the spell Cast Light use it, it makes a ball of light hover over your head whether you have a catalyst equipped or not, just equip it, cast the spell then take the catalyst off again and you can free up your shield without weighing you down. if you dont have it take to Dusk of Oolacile at the lake where you fought the Hydra she sells it can't remember what INT you need for it but it's not massively high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I killed the b@stard after he kicked me down the hole. Didnt realise he had his uses :(

I killed the b@stard after he kicked me down the hole. Didnt realise he had his uses :(

I accidentally killed him fighting one of the knights near there, great fun

Don't have the cast light or sunlight maggot thing, just gonna wing it with the lantern head and be done with this place.

I got an email off Playstation to preorder Dark Souls 2 and I just noticed it's out in 2 weeks, balls! Better get a move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Don't have the cast light or sunlight maggot thing, just gonna wing it with the lantern head and be done with this place.

I got an email off Playstation to preorder Dark Souls 2 and I just noticed it's out in 2 weeks, balls! Better get a move on.

After the second bonfire there's only a short run in the dark before the stretch before the boss which isn't in the dark iirc. Going back now for a light would be pointless.

You're nearly there, it's an utter gowl of an area so get it out of the way, good boss fight coming too. Do the Duke's Archives next that's a great area.

Dukes Archives next sounds like a plan. I'm gonna clear this and get Dark Souls 2 on release day. If I clear it in record time, I will get the DLC* :) I just know if I get Dark Souls 2 late, I'll only be on here asking for help :pac:

I promise I will get the DLC at some point if I don't get time before DS2!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Finally got Part 5 of SL1 Co-Op Playthrough done!

Blight Town and fighting Quelaag... oh lordy :P

hahaha classic stuff!

I couldn't even imagine trying this as SL1, never tried the axe I picked up, wish I did now, looks like a class weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
    In your fvcking faces O&S
    YES

At last I beat that pair of baxtards on my SL1...and solo. Last night sat down, and after at least 3 hrs of trying over the course of the last month, I take them out 1st go.

Think beating them easily on my NG+ character the previous night helped matters...something finally clicked...thank fvck for that...

...off to the Painted World tonight:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

^ duno what the big deal is, I can do a no coconut run in my sleep

Finally got to gravelord fella and died from the fall, aw man!

Edit: yaaaa F U Nito!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Do you have a divine weapon? The couple of skeletons you meet as soon as you jump down are going to be a pain otherwise.

Edit: Saw last comment! Nice one.

Advertisement