Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

What the Jaysus!!! I just 1st go killed gwyn. All be it with solaire and some steam punk guy but still yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I feel absolutely drained but want to go running laps...

Best game ever! Bring on dark souls 2!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

sheehy83 wrote: »
    What the Jaysus!!! I just 1st go killed gwyn. All be it with solaire and some steam punk guy but still yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

There's time for a NG+ before it comes out :pac:

Congrats man, I killed Gwyn on my first attempt as well, as a final boss he was a bit of a let down tbh considering what came before him with the lord soul fights but it's the journey not the destination and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vageta311

penev10 wrote: »
    Its this playthrough he talks about it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JajbSi_wBqE&list=PLF264991245ADE660

I must've gotten the one-shot thing wrong

What I said/inferred was you can't get one shotted with a base level character as damage is scaled by soul level, not vitality. If you keep base vitality and raise other stats increasing your overall soul level, then you can definitely get one shotted. Meaning if you have 10 base vitality, but raise your str to 40 then you will definitely get one shotted because your soul level is much higher and the minimum damage a boss does is much higher.

Also this was before the DLC came out and several things changed so I'm not sure if it still holds true, though I still don't remember getting one shotted by any of the new bosses so long as my soul level is at base. Unless you have played with a base level character against these bosses then your experience is invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

vageta311 wrote: »
    What I said/inferred was you can't get one shotted with a base level character as damage is scaled by soul level, not vitality. If you keep base vitality and raise other stats increasing your overall soul level, then you can definitely get one shotted. Meaning if you have 10 base vitality, but raise your str to 40 then you will definitely get one shotted because your soul level is much higher and the minimum damage a boss does is much higher.

Also this was before the DLC came out and several things changed so I'm not sure if it still holds true, though I still don't remember getting one shotted by any of the new bosses so long as my soul level is at base. Unless you have played with a base level character against these bosses then your experience is invalid.

I knew I'd picked it up wrong:P Thanks for clearing that up.

Great videos btw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

vageta311 wrote: »

Maybe not regular attacks, but there are attacks that can one-shot a SL1. The large lightning ball from the Sanctuary Guardian, and the sliding stab by Artorias (through a fecking +14 heater shield at that!) come to mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You didn't waste any time beating it! Congratulations

Now try NG+....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

When I think of it, has anyone beaten NG+ on a SL1 run?

I have a playtime of 60 hours, I got to the 1st demon again and just couldn't :)

Think it will be good to have 2 weeks break so DS2 will be somewhat fresh for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I have a playtime of 60 hours, I got to the 1st demon again and just couldn't :)

Think it will be good to have 2 weeks break so DS2 will be somewhat fresh for me.

You're bound to be bored of your build by now, I've never bothered completing NG+. You should at least go as far as the gargoyles though. Remember how long that took first time round? Hugely satisfying second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

When I think of it, has anyone beaten NG+ on a SL1 run?

Might give it a go when I finish my current SL1 playthrough.

I watched a twitch video of a guy defeating Ornstein & Smough as an SL1 at NG+7!!

If I can ever find it again I'll post it.

Edit: Found one but not the same one I saw before, does it naked, very low health (to use Red Tearstone effect) and melee only which is more impressive

• Advertisement

derfderf wrote: »
    You're bound to be bored of your build by now, I've never bothered completing NG+. You should at least go as far as the gargoyles though. Remember how long that took first time round? Hugely satisfying second time.

I'd say so, I remember being first dropped in Firelink Shrine, I thought it was an absolute maze!

I'd say so, I remember being first dropped in Firelink Shrine, I thought it was an absolute maze!

The first time I realised the lift from went Undead Parish back to Firelink I was overjoyed, had no estus left after fighting that room full of hollows up the stairs I coul have nearly cried hearing that familiar music and seeing the bonfire, it's around then that the level design brilliance starts to open up. Budding developers or students should use DS as a benchmark for how to tie areas together, it reminds me of Metroid or Castlevania in that regard.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Once I finish my second play through of Witcher 2 I think I'm going to finally crack and get Artorias of the Abyss, I'm sick of waiting for it to go on sale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Once I finish my second play through of Witcher 2 I think I'm going to finally crack and get Artorias of the Abyss, I'm sick of waiting for it to go on sale.

I don't think it ever will at this point. Just buy it, it's well worth it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Agreed, I think I paid 13 quid for it but it added a load of hours to the game, after Anor Londo it's probably the area I spent the most time dicking around in being summoned and invaded, and the boss fights are amazing.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    Agreed, I think I paid 13 quid for it but it added a load of hours to the game, after Anor Londo it's probably the area I spent the most time dicking around in being summoned and invaded, and the boss fights are amazing.

The big question now is whether to start a new character to play it or try and do it on NG++ with my DEX build.

The big question now is whether to start a new character to play it or try and do it on NG++ with my DEX build.

It's a fair way into the game you need access to the Duke's Archives to open the dlc, whereabouts are you on your NG++ game? whichever's faster really, suppose a new game all you really need is the gargoyles, Queelag, Sen's, Anor Londo and place the Lord Vessel but that's easier said than done heh.

krudler wrote: »
    It's a fair way into the game you need access to the Duke's Archives to open the dlc, whereabouts are you on your NG++ game? whichever's faster really, suppose a new game all you really need is the gargoyles, Queelag, Sen's, Anor Londo and place the Lord Vessel but that's easier said than done heh.

He's sitting on his arse in undead asylum so will take a while either way. NG++ isn't that big a leap from NG+ is it I think? Will most likely get there quicker than starting from from scratch. I just know I'm going to end up doing a full play through even though I have no intention of one :D

He's sitting on his arse in undead asylum so will take a while either way. NG++ isn't that big a leap from NG+ is it I think? Will most likely get there quicker than starting from from scratch. I just know I'm going to end up doing a full play through even though I have no intention of one :D

You'd already have a few bits you need for an easier playthrough than starting from scratch, the rusted iron ring etc. and you'd be way more mobile on a dex build than starting off from the very beginning again so it's probably the better option. I have a NG+ build with everything done bar Gwyn so I might kill him and see how NG++ is, knowing me I'll just do another full playthrough again as well even though I said I was on a no Dark Souls diet until the new one comes out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

That was ****ing great

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

"Take my weird-ass shield, Puppy Sif" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I watched that video for like 5 times already. Not only its great Dark Souls parody, but it is very well done with animation and voice acting.

"Hey Seath, how does it feel to be a Bitch"

Some of the voices sound suspiciously like Cleveland from Family Guy?

Laughed at the Solair thing "but that's not canon!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

love seath's "...... lightning......"

and at the end

"demon on the roof!"

honorable mention for 'sunlight for life'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Reached Anor Londo last night and I must say I found Sen's Fortress to be a much bigger pain in the arse compared to Blighttown :mad:

• Advertisement

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Reached Anor Londo last night and I must say I found Sen's Fortress to be a much bigger pain in the arse compared to Blighttown :mad:

Sen's is fun once you get the timing down right, you can get through the entire thing in about 4 minutes once you know the pendulum timing, the last one is a pain in the ass though if you get caught by the lightning chucking serpent. Make sure you open the lift too it's much easier than going through the whole place again, brings you down to where the first set of pendulums is.

Advertisement