Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

This embargo is killing me, I'm following both threads and knowing what I'm missing....

I literally just started groaning I miss it so much

Grimebox wrote: »
    I'm reinstalling this after watching Dark Souls 2 stream. I never finished it and its too long a wait for the sequel on PC. Any advice on a new build? I didn't use any magic last time. Can't remember much else to be honest

Ah very light Dex build with the Uchi is as easy as a melee build gets I think, it's pretty fun too!

Learn when to catch a hit on your shield, and when to dodge instead = Sorted

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Icaras wrote: »
    Im level 138.
    user name superdigzi

Going on now.

Sweet, I'm at the fog gate now. I was fighting on my own there, one more hit and he was dead and then I made one little mistake and it was game over :(

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sweet, I'm at the fog gate now. I was fighting on my own there, one more hit and he was dead and then I made one little mistake and it was game over :(

Not many good reasons for a grown man to cry but thats definitely one of them. Will be at the gate in 3 or 4 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That's what I love about this game, the first mistake or bit of cockiness you get in a boss fight and it'll end you.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not many good reasons for a grown man to cry but thats definitely one of them. Will be at the gate in 3 or 4 mins.

Warriors of sunlight for life! Cheerss man,that was a relief been stuck on him all evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Jolly co-operation! Give me a shout when you are doing the other bosses. Ive never beaten the dragon.

Jolly co-operation! Give me a shout when you are doing the other bosses. Ive never beaten the dragon.

Will do, I got summoned against the dragon earlier, didn't beat him either. Will give you a shout when i get that far in my own play through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I only just got to the Blacksmith yesterday, made a good bit of progress with a phantom and then someone invaded, bent me over a barrel and had their wicked way with me :o

I might start again, I notice nearly all the guys who help me are able to throw a thunderbolt - is that like a high level weapon or have I skipped it?

I only just got to the Blacksmith yesterday, made a good bit of progress with a phantom and then someone invaded, bent me over a barrel and had their wicked way with me :o

I might start again, I notice nearly all the guys who help me are able to throw a thunderbolt - is that like a high level weapon or have I skipped it?

if you're summoning Solair, the knight you meet on the bridge near the red dragon then that's his weapon of choice. You can get something similar way later in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

In my hunt for something to play before DS2, I've found that Kingdom Hearts on Proud Mode is so much easier now that I'm actually blocking and dodging like a Dark Souls player!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

2smiggy wrote: »
    If you are determined to finish it, go down the magic route, plenty of high powered magic to use. With a high intelligence and the bellowing slumber ring you can destroy the bosses. Pump stats into dex too to use a good dex sword. Can apply magic weapon to this too for an extra boost. The dark magic you get in the DLC will make mince meat of the bosses. You do have to get past anor Londo to get the very strong spells though
    krudler wrote: »
    Pump up dexterity, endurance and use the Uchigatana you get off the merchant in Undead Burg, well when I say "get" I mean slaughter him and take. Keep armour light, magic is for wusses :D
    Ah very light Dex build with the Uchi is as easy as a melee build gets I think, it's pretty fun too!

Learn when to catch a hit on your shield, and when to dodge instead = Sorted

So dex is the first port of call? I would like to try magic. It seemed very underpowered on my las tplay through

Grimebox wrote: »
    So dex is the first port of call? I would like to try magic. It seemed very underpowered on my las tplay through

I've never played a magic build, I know a lot of people really dislike magics because they feel cheap when you get the better spells

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

So I picked this up again following all the DS2 hype.

I'm somewhere in the Undead Parish. How far into the game am I, how much is left?

I'm wondering will I bother seeing it out or just jump to Dark Souls 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

quarryman wrote: »

I'm somewhere in the Undead Parish. How far into the game am I, how much is left?

Pretty much nowhere if i'm honest. Undead Parish is the slowest part of the game though, once you get over that steep learning curve then progress speeds up big time. I'd say you're almost better off jumping ship for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Will do, I got summoned against the dragon earlier, didn't beat him either. Will give you a shout when i get that far in my own play through.

Have to say, great reading about Boardsies Jolly Co-operation! Looking forward to some of that in DKS 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

How does one get into the game, have any of you used guides or just went into it blind. Theres a big learning curve to it I feel

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You're in noob territory. You're pretty much only scratched the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

It's a miracle rather than a weapon. You get the thunder bolts (Lightning Spears) by joining the Warrior of Sunlight covenant. The covenant is located the the end of the Wyvern bridge where the bonfire is. Turn right and head out onto the balcony with the docile hollows. You will see a crumbled statue, you require 25 Faith to join the covenant, however anytime you summon a warrior of sunlight (be it solaire or another player) and defeat a boss, this requirement is reduced by 5 each time.

When you have the requirements an option will become available at the crumbled statue for you to join the covenant. When you join you will be given the Lightning Spear miracle. You require 20 Faith to use it. You require a talisman to also cast it which you need to find seperately, one can be found under the elevator in Firelink shrine or you can buy one from Petrus.

The only weapon in the game that produces lightning spears that isn't a miracle in itself is by crafting Ornstein's Spear.

quarryman wrote: »

Undead Parish is the second main area of the game really, tons of stuff left, like well 80% of the game really if not more than that.

• Advertisement

I was dicking around in the dlc areas last night and there's a wall along a walkway in the Oolacile township with this loud pounding/banging sound coming from it? what's that about?

Funny story.

So I was in the township, I had made it past the chained guardian so I went back to the start to see if there was any invaders around.

Got invaded within seconds, but I was tangling with the 4 citizens at the top of he short cut elevator. The fecker tried to take me out while I was being surrounded, but I managed to back myself onto the elevator and escape.

Since he tried to get a cheap kill on me I figured all bets were off regards honour and that. So I downed an estus, saw the elevator was on its way down and rather than meet him head on in the hall I stood just to he side of the elevator door.

He ran straight past me, I slashed him 5 times with my Iaito, he got away, I saw he was trying to use a divine blessing or something so I ran full pelt at him and managed to kill him before he healed with one thrust. It was a cheap kill for sure but it was immensely satisfying :P

Feck that, if you're invaded then any kill is good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I was dicking around in the dlc areas last night and there's a wall along a walkway in the Oolacile township with this loud pounding/banging sound coming from it? what's that about?

Ages since I've been there but is there a message on the ground saying let there be light? There's a wall somewhere in Oolacile that disappears of you shine a light at it

Harps wrote: »
    Ages since I've been there but is there a message on the ground saying let there be light? There's a wall somewhere in Oolacile that disappears of you shine a light at it

that's the one, interesting, can you just use cast light or does it need to be something else?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Feck that, if you're invaded then any kill is good :D

Yeah, i long ago gave up on any sort of honour. Everytime i get invaded, the ****er usually waits till i'm in the middle of a fight before engaging.

I'll even dung pile him and run away if i have to :P

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, i long ago gave up on any sort of honour. Everytime i get invaded, the ****er usually waits till i'm in the middle of a fight before engaging.

I'll even dung pile him and run away if i have to :P

dung pile, lloyd's talismans, emit force near ledges, take what you can get :pac:

I hadn't intended to buy DS2 for another while yet due to exams on the horizon but playing the DLC this week has given me the thirst, guess I'll be heading down to gamestop tomorrow to trade in some old games :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that's the one, interesting, can you just use cast light or does it need to be something else?

Pretty sure that hat that emits light will work too or the other lamp thing you find in the catacombs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I think I used a skull lantern IIRC.

When the wall disappears you get a Silver Pendant. Thankfully this one has use :P

When you use it you creates a short barrier (maybe 1-2 seconds?) that nullifies any dark magic it touches. Useful in PvP for even though who use Dark Bead but you'll have to time using it just right.

Advertisement