Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Right lads I haven't a clue what's goin on! I summoned a phantom and it just killed everything for me...that's another player is it?

Also what's the story with being undead/ not undead? Like are there any disadvantages of either or what?

Also where are all these messages coming from?

Haha slightly overwhelmed if you can't already tell :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

It's an SL1 run! Sorry should have specified! Picked up great combustion, so hoping with a little patience it might go further than Fireball

Keep Smough inbetween the pillars and when he attacks run in and attack once, then roll back out. Rinse and repeat.

If you're on PC and need a hand let me know as I have an SL1 character.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Cravez wrote: »
    Keep Smough inbetween the pillars and when he attacks run in and attack once, then roll back out. Rinse and repeat.

If you're on PC and need a hand let me know as I have an SL1 character.

I've only taken about 3 runs at them yet in this game, so I won't panic

Royal Sentinels are wrecking me completely so I can't even summon Solaire. I don't have an Internet connection on my PC, thanks though

Right lads I haven't a clue what's goin on! I summoned a phantom and it just killed everything for me...that's another player is it?

Also what's the story with being undead/ not undead? Like are there any disadvantages of either or what?

Also where are all these messages coming from?

Haha slightly overwhelmed if you can't already tell :p

White/Gold Phantoms are other players trying to help! If they're not white or gold they're trying to kill you :)

If you're undead you can't summon phantoms to help you, not sure about being invaded.

And messages are left by other players to give a heads up to people about items, enemies, tactics, shortcuts etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

I've only taken about 3 runs at them yet in this game, so I won't panic

Royal Sentinels are wrecking me completely so I can't even summon Solaire. I don't have an Internet connection on my PC, thanks though

I just ran past the sentinels onmt SL1...combustion is the way to go for o&s...takes out ornstein pretty quick...I use the battle axe

If you're undead you can't summon phantoms to help you, not sure about being invaded.

If you're hollow you can't be invaded. In Dark Souls 2 you can be invaded even if you're hollow. So you're grand in Dark Souls 1 if you're hollow.
    And messages are left by other players to give a heads up to people about items, enemies, tactics, shortcuts etc...

Before entering the door into Gwynevere's room for the first time there were tons of messages of "Try grabbing with both hands", the same before Queelag's boss fog :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"amazing chest ahead"

"amazing chest ahead"

"but hole" and "try rear" seem to be classics too :D

And Fatboy Slim are no more :D Combustion and Great Combustion absolutely wreck them! A tense finish, I was all out of Estus and could only afford to miss one combustion! Took a risk and floated 3 in a row to kill him :D Such a feeling

• Advertisement

Right, starting to get the hang of things - level 30 now, just spent about 2 hours trying to cross a bridge in the Valley of Drakes, involving killing 5 drakes in a row...finally beat them and then I find there's sweet f all they're guarding - just the red tearstone ring!

Right, starting to get the hang of things - level 30 now, just spent about 2 hours trying to cross a bridge in the Valley of Drakes, involving killing 5 drakes in a row...finally beat them and then I find there's sweet f all they're guarding - just the red tearstone ring!

If you know how to utilise the ring properly with the correct gear, your damage output can be amazing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

https://i.imgur.com/Uuv3eE9.jpg during the day

http://i.imgur.com/AeWOnp2.jpg during the night

possible spoilers so dont click unless you've finished dark souls

also omfg

Cravez wrote: »
    If you know how to utilise the ring properly with the correct gear, your damage output can be amazing!

I see...hypothetically if one was to do that; how would said one go about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

it give a damage boost when health below 25% , and more of a boost the lower the health.

really only useful for speed runners , or if you are very good and don't usually get hit, as that low health at a boss, one hit usually means death

If you used:
    - Ascended Pyro Flame + 5
    - Crown of Dusk
    - Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring
    - Red Tearstone Ring w/ Health 25% or below
    - Power Within

You could most likely one shot Ornstein with a single Great Fireball with the above, possibly other bosses. At the very least get them near death.

To counter-act the effect of the Power Within you'd need Paladin Leeroy's shield but you could only do that after getting the Lord Vessel and defeating Nito.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Carylon

Good game i have played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Carylon wrote: »
    Good game i have played it.

Praise the sun!

Hey guys, noob needs some more advice! :p

I'm currently stuck trying to defeat Quelaag - I'm a knight, lvl 31 and I'm using a drake sword +1 and a dragoncrest shield.

I've run out of purplemoss clump so everytime I cross the water to Quelaag's lair I get poisoned and have to wait till it wears off before I enter to fight her (this also involves using up one Estus flask).

When I get in my strategy has been just to try and get in close behind and hack away with the drake sword in 2 hands. I deal some decent damage (maybe 15% of her health) each time, but eventually (seemingly at random) she just uses this big area of effect fire attack that kills me in one go! :eek:

Also I've no humanity left so summoning a phantom isn't an option :(

Any advice welcome :o

The Bed of Chaos is bullsh1t. This is the first time in any of my runs at Demons, Dark, or Dark 2 I've been physically angry at the game. Reach the heart. Great Combustion. Nothing. She Chaos Storms. And I'm dead.

About half an hour here and I've reached the heart 3 times

• Advertisement

Hey guys, noob needs some more advice! :p

I'm currently stuck trying to defeat Quelaag - I'm a knight, lvl 31 and I'm using a drake sword +1 and a dragoncrest shield.

I've run out of purplemoss clump so everytime I cross the water to Quelaag's lair I get poisoned and have to wait till it wears off before I enter to fight her (this also involves using up one Estus flask).

When I get in my strategy has been just to try and get in close behind and hack away with the drake sword in 2 hands. I deal some decent damage (maybe 15% of her health) each time, but eventually (seemingly at random) she just uses this big area of effect fire attack that kills me in one go! :eek:

Also I've no humanity left so summoning a phantom isn't an option :(

Any advice welcome :o

Have you got the Rusted Iron Ring? And the Tattered Set? Rusted Iron ring means you don't slow down in the swamp, and tattered set has really high resistance to poison. As for Queelag, count how many attacks you can get in before she does her AoE, and then do two less and retreat, you should be safe.

Going under the 25% equip burden (check carry weight in Status menu) can be helpful too, with the faster roll.

Have you got the Rusted Iron Ring? And the Tattered Set? Rusted Iron ring means you don't slow down in the swamp, and tattered set has really high resistance to poison. As for Queelag, count how many attacks you can get in before she does her AoE, and then do two less and retreat, you should be safe.

Going under the 25% equip burden (check carry weight in Status menu) can be helpful too, with the faster roll.

Cheers, I've neither of those ^^:o

Should I go get them and return to Blighttown to defeat her?

I'll reduce my equiment seen as it's at about 65% of my burden atm and see how how it goes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Cheers, I've neither of those ^^:o

Should I go get them and return to Blighttown to defeat her?

I'll reduce my equiment seen as it's at about 65% of my burden atm and see how how it goes :)

You should have access to the gold hemmed set and grass crest shield by this point, have a look on the wiki for locations, summon maneater mildred and watch quelagg die .... for humanity farm those rats in the depths

Edit: Wait gold hemmed set comes later sorry , still get mildred in on the action for an easy win

Okay so I reduced equip load to roughly 25% makes for a much quicker roll which is great, but she seems to use her AOE attack after literally 1 or 2 hits :( I've tried 4 times now with the reduced burden, rolled in beside her, given her 1 or 2 hits and she just uses the AOE and kills me in one :mad:

Not sure what else I can do...should I just leave her for the moment, go do somewhere else and return when I'm a bit more powerful? Or should a boss like her be bread and butter at this stage?

calex71 wrote: »
    You should have access to the gold hemmed set and grass crest shield by this point, have a look on the wiki for locations, summon maneater mildred and watch quelagg die .... for humanity farm those rats in the depths

Edit: Wait gold hemmed set comes later sorry , still get mildred in on the action for an easy win

I have the grass crest shield, should I go with that over the dragon crest even though dragon gives better fire resistance?

Also ya won't believe what happened with Mildred! :rolleyes:

She invaded my game when I was on my way to fight Quelaag so I was just about to start fighting Mildred when my power went out! Restarted the PS3 a few mins later when the power came back and Mildred was gone! She hasn't invaded since :( haha any way to make her invade again? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I have the grass crest shield, should I go with that over the dragon crest even though dragon gives better fire resistance?

She invaded my game when I was on my way to fight Quelaag so I was just about to start fighting Mildred when my power went out! Restarted the PS3 a few mins later when the power came back and Mildred was gone! She hasn't invaded since :( haha any way to make her invade again? :o

Her summon sign should be at the door to quelaag.

Dragon crest is grand for fire protection, but the grass crest is for stamina recovery .... more swings = more hits and the buff works even with it on your back two handing the sword. Thats just my personal preference .

The crimson set is in blightown for sure, the hood and skirt might be enough to bolster your poison resistance with a heavy chest piece for numbers .... I recall using it at this point in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

The Bed of Chaos is bullsh1t. This is the first time in any of my runs at Demons, Dark, or Dark 2 I've been physically angry at the game. Reach the heart. Great Combustion. Nothing. She Chaos Storms. And I'm dead.

About half an hour here and I've reached the heart 3 times

Tbf it is optional isn't it? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Okay so I reduced equip load to roughly 25% makes for a much quicker roll which is great, but she seems to use her AOE attack after literally 1 or 2 hits :( I've tried 4 times now with the reduced burden, rolled in beside her, given her 1 or 2 hits and she just uses the AOE and kills me in one :mad:

Not sure what else I can do...should I just leave her for the moment, go do somewhere else and return when I'm a bit more powerful? Or should a boss like her be bread and butter at this stage?

Watch for her slumping forward. This is the tell that the aoe is coming. Don't use lock on but adjust camera manually to allow you to see her torso. When she does it roll backwards at least twice.

When you're human she should invade automatically. Have the two sheilds equipped, but hold the Dragon Crest, for faster stamina recovery.

The tattered set is to the left of the bonfire in Blighttown, on the scaffolding, you should be able to reach it.

Try staying to her left, your right, under her legs instead of directly behind her, she won't use the AoE as often. I've never found her easy so don't worry

• Advertisement

Tbf it is optional isn't it? :P

No its one of the 4 Lords, figured it might be a handy one for souls... Nope...

Advertisement