Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

calex71 wrote: »
    If you get stuck I have a new character around that part I can help you with, just need to go grab the key to get down there.

Really getting sucked back into this again.

Hmm, I may need to call in the cavalry for this one, I keep getting scuppered by the undead dogs as I try and get around him to get up the steps. I took a break after multiple deaths and headed over to the area thats below the blacksmith. I managed to defeat the one legged demon beyond here. Going to try and level up a little bit more and take another stab at Capra.

Also, my controller battery died last night, just as i was taking on one of the hollowed that throws firebombs - the game doesn't auto pause! and for that matter, theres no pause button at all! - cue a frantic scramble to switch battery packs / power up the controller / raise shield!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Hmm, I may need to call in the cavalry for this one, I keep getting scuppered by the undead dogs as I try and get around him to get up the steps. I took a break after multiple deaths and headed over to the area thats below the blacksmith. I managed to defeat the one legged demon beyond here. Going to try and level up a little bit more and take another stab at Capra.

Also, my controller battery died last night, just as i was taking on one of the hollowed that throws firebombs - the game doesn't auto pause! and for that matter, theres no pause button at all! - cue a frantic scramble to switch battery packs / power up the controller / raise shield!

There is an easy way to defeat the Capra demon that doesn't involve going through the white light at all. Which I did use. I feel ashamed.

Just about to begin Anor Londo myself. I had a mare trying to get through Sen's Fortress.

Fescue wrote: »
    There is an easy way to defeat the Capra demon that doesn't involve going through the white light at all. Which I did use. I feel ashamed.

Just about to begin Anor Londo myself. I had a mare trying to get through Sen's Fortress.

LOL, I read that - does it involve
    dung pies?

Im not ashamed to admit that I've been playing the game whilst consulting the odd faq / online guide. the game is seriously deep, but I dont have the luxury of unlimited time to try and work it all out for myself. I'm currently a Level 30 knight, rocking the drake sword.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

dung pies?

Im not ashamed to admit that I've been playing the game whilst consulting the odd faq / online guide. the game is seriously deep, but I dont have the luxury of unlimited time to try and work it all out for myself. I'm currently a Level 30 knight, rocking the drake sword.

Not sure if I'll be around until the week end there are videos for that strategy :pac:

The dogs are the main issue in that fight for me usually ,
    you have been going up the stairs and on to the ledge/arch ? I always make a run for that ledge as they can only come at you from one way so take out the dogs there, once capra gets close drop off and run away let him follow and head back to that spot what you are looking to do is lure him so you are above and use the drop attack on him RB, if faced with him head on dash at him to trigger his jump attack and circle away asap to look for an opening or get back to the ledge.

Oh that ledge is at the top of the stairs to the right , you might not have noticed it or that you could walk on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

dung pies?

No it actually involves the use of
    arrows
    . You can find out all about it with a quick google.

I'm very much in the same boat as you, don't have a massive amount of time to dedicate to the game. I have used the IGN walkthrough to speed myself along.

I think I'm at level 53 now.

• Advertisement

The capra demon has been vanquished!

And properly too, must have taken me nearly thirty tries overall. I reckon I can do the run from the undead burg bonfire down to that mist gate blindfolded now!

Before you head down into the depths using that key head up the tower and stock up on supplies from the female merchant you will need a few bits

Man, this game doesn't shy from putting you in your place. got cursed for the first time down the depths and
    had a good old trek back to the belltower to buy a removal stone. going to grind the garden for a bit of purple moss and some souls to stock up before I try depths again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Man, this game doesn't shy from putting you in your place. got cursed for the first time down the depths and
    had a good old trek back to the belltower to buy a removal stone. going to grind the garden for a bit of purple moss and some souls to stock up before I try depths again.

Oswald of Carim (The creepy guy in the Gargoyles Bell Tower) sells a ring that increases your curse resistance, you might need it later on in the game, so I'd recommend buying it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

god

i remember my first few times in the depths

fun times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

god

i remember my first few times in the depths

fun times

Hate it down there, and like a dumbass I missed the chest with the ember near the butcher so I was wandering around for ages down there looking for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Jaysus lads I'm walking like John Wayne with these
    Twin archer knights...any tips? getting to them isn't a problem - it's killing them when I get to them that I'm having difficulty with

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Jaysus lads I'm walking like John Wayne with these
    Twin archer knights...any tips? getting to them isn't a problem - it's killing them when I get to them that I'm having difficulty with

Rush the one on the right, when you get close he'll take out his sword, usually falls off when he swings it. Try and time your rolls using the sound of the other guy firing to dodge any arrows from behind. It's not full proof but has worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Rush the one on the right, when you get close he'll take out his sword, usually falls off when he swings it. Try and time your rolls using the sound of the other guy firing to dodge any arrows from behind. It's not full proof but has worked for me.

They have been vanquished

They have been vanquished

Well done, bonfire ahead !!!! That for me was one of the most infuriating parts of the game, took me ages to pass that part as I was too stubborn at the time of my 1st run to look up a guide etc.

Edit: Actually the wosrt part was it took me ages to work out I had to go up that way, as it wasn't obvious to me I should lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

calex71 wrote: »
    Well done, bonfire ahead !!!! That for me was one of the most infuriating parts of the game, took me ages to pass that part as I was too stubborn at the time of my 1st run to look up a guide etc.

Edit: Actually the wosrt part was it took me ages to work out I had to go up that way, as it wasn't obvious to me I should lol

I'm with you their

Just as you enter the Anor londo area, I had no idea were to go after I beat one of those bell guard type enemies , took me 4 hours of running around in that little area before I realised I had to make my way upto that church type bulding

when I found it I was delighted with joy thinking I'd be able to move on with the game and then them poxy black knight archers.... don't even want to say how long that took me :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I breezed past them my on my first attempt during my first play through. Broke a controller in NG+ though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I love that about souls games. You see a section everyone hates or has serious trouble with then you breeze through it on your 1st attempt wondering what the hell everyone was complaining about...then on your 2nd playthrough you soon realise :P

So I finally got around to giving this try (thanks to Xbox Gold Games)

I have to admit it's very additive. But grindy.

I killed that big asshole on the bridge after 2 or 3 attempts thanks to the drop attack.
    Also, I must have replayed a certain section about 20 times aswell.

Started playing as a Knight (According to the noob guide it's the easiest, nothing easy about it though :P) and also to spend souls ASAP.

Any other noob tips?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So I finally got around to giving this try (thanks to Xbox Gold Games)

I have to admit it's very additive. But grindy.

I killed that big asshole on the bridge after 2 or 3 attempts thanks to the drop attack.
    Also, I must have replayed a certain section about 20 times aswell.

Started playing as a Knight (According to the noob guide it's the easiest, nothing easy about it though :P) and also to spend souls ASAP.

Any other noob tips?

Alright sp00n?

to get a great weapon early in the game
    after you defeat the guy on the bridge, you'll come to a spot where there is a dragon on a bridge. run halfway across the bridge and he'll breathe fire then perch up over the doorway at the end. run quickly to the halfway point of the brige and down a stairway to your right. when you get down here, go downstairs and drop the ladder to the bonfire for an essential shortcut. come back up, and make your way up the right side of the underbridgem and kill the two hollow soldiers. now, go to the right side and use your bow to shoot the dragons tail. after about 35 hits, you'll get the drake sword, by far the most powerful weapon I've come across so far.

• Advertisement

The sword Stone Deaf tells you how to get is a great early game weapon, used it myself, but you grow out of it quickly once you start being able to upgrade your weapons. Even the most basic of regular swords will outperform it once it's been reinforced.

Look up scaling on the wikis, if you're planning on staying as a melee character decide whether you want to wield big powerful weapons like great swords or faster ones like katanas or the Balder Side Sword (which can be found early in the game but will require some farming). You're better off putting your stats into one of Strength or Dexterity not both. Also don't waste souls on levelling up resistence, it's useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Starting playing thanks to GWG. Level 21 now and only just defeated my mate on the bridge. Nearly crapped myself with a warning afterwards so knocked it off last night before proceeding further.

Can someone please tell me what exactly is the point of humanity

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You can Either be human (with your body) or hollow (without your body).

If you consume a piece of humanity (i.e. your counter on top left of screen goes up to 1) then you can 'use' this by selecting the 'reverse hollowing' option at any bonfire.

Once human you are free to be invaded but also free to summon help for boss fights.

The sword Stone Deaf tells you how to get is a great early game weapon, used it myself, but you grow out of it quickly once you start being able to upgrade your weapons. Even the most basic of regular swords will outperform it once it's been reinforced.

Look up scaling on the wikis, if you're planning on staying as a melee character decide whether you want to wield big powerful weapons like great swords or faster ones like katanas or the Balder Side Sword (which can be found early in the game but will require some farming). You're better off putting your stats into one of Strength or Dexterity not both. Also don't waste souls on levelling up resistence, it's useless.

Yes I just did a bit of research on this, I upgraded my weapon and its nearly 150 DM already. The thing I don't like about that sword (from what I'm reading now) is you can't upgrade it.

I have been putting my stats upgrades into strength and vitality.
    I'm stuck on some big bastard in a church kind of an area now, he's got a huge shield. He's very near where you first find the blacksmith.

Think there also is some kind of electric boss that I haven't gone near yet...(I ran down some steps and he fired a bolt of electricity so I ran back up :P

Yes I just did a bit of research on this, I upgraded my weapon and its nearly 150 DM already. The thing I don't like about that sword (from what I'm reading now) is you can't upgrade it.

I have been putting my stats upgrades into strength and vitality.
    I'm stuck on some big bastard in a church kind of an area now, he's got a huge shield. He's very near where you first find the blacksmith.

Think there also is some kind of electric boss that I haven't gone near yet...(I ran down some steps and he fired a bolt of electricity so I ran back up :P

Draw him outside,
    his attacks are very slow and easy to dodge and there's more space out there to strafe around him. I think I killed they guy firing magic at you with a bow and arrow, he could one shot you if you're not careful. another good reason to draw the knight outside before you fight him.

basically make your way towards the roof of the cvhurch, you're on the right track anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Is there much activity on the PS3 version? I should have just bought a 360 when I was going console for this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i'd imagine there would be alot more action on the PS3 version, even with given free/discount ? on the xbox.

I think i might go back and start another character soon for it. Nearly know it off by heart at this stage :eek:

Draw him outside,
    his attacks are very slow and easy to dodge and there's more space out there to strafe around him. I think I killed they guy firing magic at you with a bow and arrow, he could one shot you if you're not careful. another good reason to draw the knight outside before you fight him.

basically make your way towards the roof of the cvhurch, you're on the right track anyway.

Sound will give this a try this evening and let you know :)
    To note there is another guy close buy at the top of spiral stairs that has a similar sword. It's like a massive hammer. I tried to run away but he killed me in one hit :P

Sound will give this a try this evening and let you know :)
    To note there is another guy close buy at the top of spiral stairs that has a similar sword. It's like a massive hammer. I tried to run away but he killed me in one hit :P

Was it just before where you meet the big armoured boar? If so it was a black knight. They're tough that early in the game, there is a cheap way to kill that one though
    if you have killed all the hollows around where the armoured boar was get the black knights attention and get him to after you. Go to the fire on the left, keep the fire between you and him and he will kill himself trying to get to you

• Advertisement

Was it just before where you meet the big armoured boar? If so it was a black knight. They're tough that early in the game, there is a cheap way to kill that one though
    if you have killed all the hollows around where the armoured boar was get the black knights attention and get him to after you. Go to the fire on the left, keep the fire between you and him and he will kill himself trying to get to you

Yep, that's the one
    I killed the boar with firebombs
    I presume you mean the dude tied to a stick on fire? Does he respawn if you use a campfire?

I will give that a go this evening too.

Advertisement