Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Yep, that's the one
    I killed the boar with firebombs
    I presume you mean the dude tied to a stick on fire? Does he respawn if you use a campfire?

I will give that a go this evening too.

I mean the fire in the left of this pic:

WarmWelcome.jpg

I don't think the black knights respawn but I can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I mean the fire in the left of this pic:

I don't think the black knights respawn but I can't remember.

They only respawn at the klin

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Black Knight Shield is also one of the best in the game btw, so hold on to it if they drop one.

derfderf wrote: »
    They only respawn at the klin

The klin :confused::confused:

The klin :confused::confused:

Think they meant Kiln, long long way to go before you have to worry about that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

was picking up moss for my journey back into the depths last night and ended up heading down into darkroot basin. I ended up stumbling across a dark knight but was able to easily defeat him. I dont know if this tactic will work for others but might be worth a shot.
    was fighting him on a hill and managed to get downhill of him, from there, by keeping my distance slightly, most of his attacks went over my head. i ended up with a spear or halberd thats well above my level to wield, - need 35 strength

M!ck - might be worth putting some points into endurance - I've done so and reckon its a good way to go for a melee build as I was finding it frustrating to be out of gas after 2 or 3 sword swings / shield blocks.

M!ck - might be worth putting some points into endurance - I've done so and reckon its a good way to go for a melee build as I was finding it frustrating to be out of gas after 2 or 3 sword swings / shield blocks.

Points in VIT and END are never a waste. Also once you hit 40 STR or DEX it's diminishing returns and won't increase your damage output much after that.

I did something that surprised myself at the weekend, i went away and bought a brand new wireless controller - solely for playing this - the one I have is there since I got the 360 and the bumper for blocking occasionally wouldnt register.

I felt it was the least I could do when i got the game for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

was picking up moss for my journey back into the depths last night and ended up heading down into darkroot basin. I ended up stumbling across a dark knight but was able to easily defeat him. I dont know if this tactic will work for others but might be worth a shot.
    was fighting him on a hill and managed to get downhill of him, from there, by keeping my distance slightly, most of his attacks went over my head. i ended up with a spear or halberd thats well above my level to wield, - need 35 strength

He was guarding a pretty valuable shield so hopefully you picked it up, very useful when two handing weapons as even if its on your back it gives a stamina regen buff.

calex71 wrote: »
    He was guarding a pretty valuable shield so hopefully you picked it up, very useful when two handing weapons as even if its on your back it gives a stamina regen buff.

yup, got it and equipped it.

as a matter of interest, how do you know that the shield boosts stamina? I can see under the health/stamina bar a shield icon with a series of arrows, but how do you tell what they actually boost?

• Advertisement

yup, got it and equipped it.

as a matter of interest, how do you know that the shield boosts stamina? I can see under the health/stamina bar a shield icon with a series of arrows, but how do you tell what they actually boost?

It should say it in the item description in your inventory if I'm not mistaken. There should be a way to change view or something so you can see it.

You could spend a whole evening reading item descriptions as a lot of the back story to certain characters is filled in that way.

It should say it in the item description in your inventory if I'm not mistaken. There should be a way to change view or something so you can see it.

You could spend a whole evening reading item descriptions as a lot of the back story to certain characters is filled in that way.

I can honestly say, that beyond what pops up in the loading screens, I have seen zero descriptions. must browse a bit deeper later. :rolleyes:

Made good progress tonight, got through the depths - the boss there was a bit of a letdown, I managed to defeat it first time round. Have to start pumping points into strength I think, starting to come across a few weapons I'm not able to wield now.

Made good progress tonight, got through the depths - the boss there was a bit of a letdown, I managed to defeat it first time round. Have to start pumping points into strength I think, starting to come across a few weapons I'm not able to wield now.

Two handing will reduce the requirements needed in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Two handing will reduce the requirements needed in many cases.

For Strength, definitely, unfortunately if a weapon has a high Dexterity requirement you can't two-hand it to wield effectively.

What weapon are you currently using Stone Deaf?

Cravez wrote: »
    For Strength, definitely, unfortunately if a weapon has a high Dexterity requirement you can't two-hand it to wield effectively.

What weapon are you currently using Stone Deaf?

Currently using the drake sword but I have the great axe I got from that last boss's tail and also have a halberd or spear I picked up from a black night. It was getting late when I stopped so I didn't try either out yet. I also have a zweihander that looks gas.

Currently using the drake sword but I have the great axe I got from that last boss's tail and also have a halberd or spear I picked up from a black night. It was getting late when I stopped so I didn't try either out yet. I also have a zweihander that looks gas.

The Drake sword loses it's effectiveness pretty soon, you'll most definitely want to change weapon and upgrade it with titinate. The Zweihander is one of the best weapons in the game in regards damage output once it's fully upgraded so it might be worth giving it a try. The only downside is it is heavy&slow but it's normal attack is a large arc swipe which would take out most things in a 180 degree radius.

The Black Knight Halberd if you do indeed have it would be a very good weapon to use throughout the game. I think it upgrades with either Twinkling or Demon Titinate however.

Was it just before where you meet the big armoured boar? If so it was a black knight. They're tough that early in the game, there is a cheap way to kill that one though
    if you have killed all the hollows around where the armoured boar was get the black knights attention and get him to after you. Go to the fire on the left, keep the fire between you and him and he will kill himself trying to get to you

So here's the update.

I managed to kill
    The large guy that fires the electricity last night, the guy in the church, the priest thing in the church, the dude at the top of the spiral stairs by leading him out to the fire and also the other guy at the bottom of the spiral stairs leading towards the large green area with all the dudes that look like bushes!

So now I'm stuck again
    There's a bird type boss at the end of the green forest area and he's out of range so no idea what I'm supposed to do. Also that dragon on the bridge is pissing me off :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So here's the update.

I managed to kill
    The large guy that fires the electricity last night, the guy in the church, the priest thing in the church, the dude at the top of the spiral stairs by leading him out to the fire and also the other guy at the bottom of the spiral stairs leading towards the large green area with all the dudes that look like bushes!

So now I'm stuck again
    There's a bird type boss at the end of the green forest area and he's out of range so no idea what I'm supposed to do. Also that dragon on the bridge is pissing me off :mad:

The Butterlfy does land eventually and will go down incredibly easily.

Failing that, buy a cheap bow and arrows.

So now I'm stuck again

You can
    summon Witch Beatrice before the boss fight, her sign is located under a shrub under the stairs just before the boss fog. She does magic damage and makes the fight alot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

So here's the update.

I managed to kill

So now I'm stuck again

Did you kill the blacksmith or am I reading that wrong? He's massive, with long dirty black hair and a similar beard. If you killed him start again, it won't take so long the second time.

For the Red dragon on the bridge, run up, and then down so he kills the hollows, and then stand behind the wall as close to where the bridge narrows as possible. When he jumps LEG IT! And pull into the right or left as soon as the bridge widens again, to avoid his fire breath. And then you can stroll into the bonfire.

If you time your rolls properly with high magic resistant gear, the moonlight butterfly shouldn't hit you much, if at all. When it lands go to town on it, and when it starts making a noise, back way up, as it causes a magic explosion or something

Did you kill the blacksmith or am I reading that wrong? He's massive, with long dirty black hair and a similar beard. If you killed him start again, it won't take so long the second time.

For the Red dragon on the bridge, run up, and then down so he kills the hollows, and then stand behind the wall as close to where the bridge narrows as possible. When he jumps LEG IT! And pull into the right or left as soon as the bridge widens again, to avoid his fire breath. And then you can stroll into the bonfire.

If you time your rolls properly with high magic resistant gear, the moonlight butterfly shouldn't hit you much, if at all. When it lands go to town on it, and when it starts making a noise, back way up, as it causes a magic explosion or something

No the Blacksmith is alive and kicking (been upgrading my weapons) I was talking about
    the other way to enter the green area on the opposite side, I used the master key on the door.

Ok I will give the above a try this evening.

Did you fight the boss on the roof of the church?

For the moonlight butterfly summon witch beatrice, her sign is difficult to spot its under the stairs before you go up the tower for the fight, she'll make bits of that pesky moth.

If you are looking to progress the story you need to set about ringing those bells mentioned at the start of the game. Roof of the church as Mickeroo suggests.

Also there really is no need to be looking to kill the hellkite right now , her tail will suffice if you didn't get the drake sword yet and want one.

Edit: Actually I would highly recommend summoning witch b for the butterfly fight, as she may be useful cannon fodder later but only if you summon her for that fight first.

Did you fight the boss on the roof of the church?

Hmm no, how do you get up there?

There was somebody locked in a cell at the top of the church area (Past the priest kind of mini-boss), I opened it and they promised a reward but said I had to wait.

For the moonlight butterfly summon witch beatrice, her sign is difficult to spot its under the stairs before you go up the tower for the fight, she'll make bits of that pesky moth.

If you are looking to progress the story you need to set about ringing those bells mentioned at the start of the game. Roof of the church as Mickeroo suggests.

Also there really is no need to be looking to kill the hellkite right now , her tail will suffice if you didn't get the drake sword yet and want one.

Edit: Actually I would highly recommend summoning witch b for the butterfly fight, as she may be useful cannon fodder later but only if you summon her for that fight first.

Story progress?? :pac::pac::pac:

It's very unclear what your actually supposed to be doing other than fighting.

Hmm no, how do you get up there?

There was somebody locked in a cell, I opened it and they promised a reward but said I had to wait.

The opposite end of the 2nd floor to the cell you'll find a ladder up, basically rather than looping around to where the cell is go straight on from the place the mob of hollows attack you.

You'll see a fog gate, when you go through there'll be a cut scene and then a boss fight. If you're in human form you should be able to summon Solaire (who gave you the white soap stone) and the guy you freed from the cell, their signs should be on the ground outside the gate.

Oh and don't listen to Calex, I always kill the dragon on the bridge at the start of the game :P

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

No the Blacksmith is alive and kicking (been upgrading my weapons) I was talking about
    the other way to enter the green area on the opposite side, I used the master key on the door.

Ok I will give the above a try this evening.
    Fair play Mick on taking out HAVEL. He's harder for me than some of the bosses and I nearly always summon help for him early game so I can get his ring...which is very useful by the way

Now for the moonlight butterfly...
    ...rolly rolly rolly...smashy smashy smashy

Lastly...you see that Zwei you picked up..well you take that Zwei...you upgrade that sumbitch sideways...and you'll kick all their candy asses:cool:

Story progress?? :pac::pac::pac:

It's very unclear what your actually supposed to be doing other than fighting.

Thats the only gripe I could say I have with the game, there's no quest log as such, for example, the fat guy at firelink shrine goes on about having lost his comrades - I dont know if this is a quest or just chitchat - or if I'll just find out what happened to them through the course of normal play anyways. I know I need to ring 2 bells but beyond that its simply explore, kill, die :)
    Its entrancing though, really didn't think i'd like it but am delighted that I've given it a chance.

I downloaded an app from the play store for my phone that gives a basic walkthrough for the game it was called "pro guide dark souls edition". there's nothing tremendously useful in it, but it does lay out something resembling an order in which to take on different areas. For example, it recommended i go towards
    darkroot basin before taking on the depths due to the amount of enemies that can poison you there
    At the minute my character is getting a bit more capable so I'm doing a bit more exploring on my own.

• Advertisement

GK1001 wrote: »
    Fair play Mick on taking out HAVEL. He's harder for me than some of the bosses and I nearly always summon help for him early game so I can get his ring...which is very useful by the way

Now for the moonlight butterfly...
    ...rolly rolly rolly...smashy smashy smashy

Lastly...you see that Zwei you picked up..well you take that Zwei...you upgrade that sumbitch sideways...and you'll kick all their candy asses:cool:

How I beat him (If we are talking about the same enemy??);
    Lead him up to the very top of the stairs, he won't follow you outside he will run towards the door and run back, I kind of glitched him to say that every time he ran at me I took a stab at him and then rolled outside the door, repeated this until he was dead

Thing is I did not know you could summon anyone until today :P

Advertisement