Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Killed every single Crystal Lizard in the Great Hollow to the tune of 0 Slabs... But I found out I have the DLC for some reason unbeknownst to me, so it's all great :D

Seeing as you didn't actually pay for this great game, I think all you 360ers should definitely get the DLC, it's an improvement on the core game and that's saying something :D

*Edit* Balls. I don't have the DLC. I'm going to take a 1-2 week long ragequit now because I'm so upset. From you are a cruel master

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm not finding it overly frustrating tbh, did have a 'effs sake' the other night when I fell off the scaffold in blighttown, not ten steps away from recovering the 12,000 souls id dropped minutes earlier....

when you drop 400k, 500k or 1million souls, imagine that heartache :pac: you see vids of guys playing on youtube with 2million + souls on screen, I wouldnt trust myself with that amount I spend them all straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

krudler wrote: »
    when you drop 400k, 500k or 1million souls, imagine that heartache :pac: you see vids of guys playing on youtube with 2million + souls on screen, I wouldnt trust myself with that amount I spend them all straight away.

Is there any benefit to stockpiling them like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Is there any benefit to stockpiling them like that?

i don't think so. Having humanity built up add damage to chaos weapons, but i don't think the stacking of souls makes any difference.

when u have 100's of hours put into it, you just don't have anything left to spend the souls on !!!!

No footie until Friday so going to give this another whirl this evening (If I manage to put down God Hand first :P)

Any tips on upper Blighttown? (Especially relating to those ****ers that keep poisoning me grrrr)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No footie until Friday so going to give this another whirl this evening (If I manage to put down God Hand first :P)

Any tips on upper Blighttown? (Especially relating to those ****ers that keep poisoning me grrrr)

the lads firing the poison darts
    don't respawn , so it gets easier when u have them killed. take them out with arrows

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

2smiggy wrote: »
    the lads firing the poison darts
    don't respawn , so it gets easier when u have them killed. take them out with arrows

What I've done so far with regards to blighttown.
    Go to the merchant in the tunnel that leads from firelink to depths, you can buy blooming purple moss that cures toxic- you'll want about 6 of them and about 10 regular purple moss that cures poison . make sure that you've got 10 estus flasks as well when tackling this place. What i did was to try and inch forward until I saw the snipers, then hit them with poison arrows. they'll get agrgro'd after the first hit, but you should be able to get them if you're fast enough. when you do get in a bit further past the initial sniper, you should be able to find a set of shadow garb armor - it has a high poison resistance. I also found that it was pretty much essential to go back to the undead asylum for the rusty iron ring, you'll be running around in the lower swamp later and that poisons you too so the quicker you can get out of that muck the better.

Finally levelled up enough to use the dark knight halberd. This thing wrecks! It's the first weapon I've upgraded since I started playing. I had a lot of titanite and have reinforced it to +4. Two handing drops the wyverns in valley of the deanes in 3 hits and anything bigger than humanoids in 2. The moveset is taking a bit of time to adapt to, but with a bit of practice I reckon I'll be golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Finally levelled up enough to use the dark knight halberd. This thing wrecks! It's the first weapon I've upgraded since I started playing. I had a lot of titanite and have reinforced it to +4. Two handing drops the wyverns in valley of the deanes in 3 hits and anything bigger than humanoids in 2. The moveset is taking a bit of time to adapt to, but with a bit of practice I reckon I'll be golden.

I started playing last weekend and once I unlocked that it's pretty much all I've used since.
    Not sure how much I have left, I have 27 hours played but probably spent the first 5 hours doing nothing because it was my first souls game and hadn't a clue what to do. I think I'm making fairly good progress now though, have to be at least 3/4 of the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I started playing last weekend and once I unlocked that it's pretty much all I've used since.
    Not sure how much I have left, I have 27 hours played but probably spent the first 5 hours doing nothing because it was my first souls game and hadn't a clue what to do. I think I'm making fairly good progress now though, have to be at least 3/4 of the way through.

Where abouts are you now?

• Advertisement

derfderf wrote: »
    Where abouts are you now?

In the Crystal Caves just after Dukes Archives, about to fight some dragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

you guys are quite lucky to have gotten the halberd so early on, its one of them rare drops from a black knight
    I also got it in my first play through when the game first released, thought nothing of it, have been trying ever since to get it at the start and have no luck at all getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

In the Crystal Caves just after Dukes Archives, about to fight some dragon.

Did you beat any other bosses since you got the lord vessel? You might not be 3/4 through yet

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    you guys are quite lucky to have gotten the halberd so early on, its one of them rare drops from a black knight
    I also got it in my first play through when the game first released, thought nothing of it, have been trying ever since to get it at the start and have no luck at all getting it

yeah , I gather that alright, I was doubly lucky in that I happened across the dark knight in darkroot basin by accident and managed to beat him by sheer luck. I'm going to take on the hydra in the lake tonight and then make a drive for queelag again. hopefully this time it wont be as one one sided as I'll have mildred on my side. :pac:

I've loads of titanite and I'm unsure as to what to reinforce armour wise. the elite knight armour is good, but its weight makes it a bit impractical. does there come a point where you're better of sacrificing protection for speed? I'll definitely be dumping a few more points into endurance now as the halberd takes a good chunk per swing. Its getting to the stage where I'm saving shards in case theres a better pickup just around the corner, rather than spending them now.

yeah , I gather that alright, I was doubly lucky in that I happened across the dark knight in darkroot basin by accident and managed to beat him by sheer luck. I'm going to take on the hydra in the lake tonight and then make a drive for queelag again. hopefully this time it wont be as one one sided as I'll have mildred on my side. :pac:

I've loads of titanite and I'm unsure as to what to reinforce armour wise. the elite knight armour is good, but its weight makes it a bit impractical. does there come a point where you're better of sacrificing protection for speed? I'll definitely be dumping a few more points into endurance now as the halberd takes a good chunk per swing. Its getting to the stage where I'm saving shards in case theres a better pickup just around the corner, rather than spending them now.

Black Knight Halberd can finish the game for you, so you're probably better upgrading it, and armor isn't as important to upgrade :) I finished the game without changing a single piece of my beginning armor, or upgrading it, so it's nothing to fret over. Do you know about the carry weight limits?

Black Knight Halberd can finish the game for you, so you're probably better upgrading it, and armor isn't as important to upgrade :) I finished the game without changing a single piece of my beginning armor, or upgrading it, so it's nothing to fret over. Do you know about the carry weight limits?

Waza? Explain please :pac:

I'm keeping my equip load below half (i think thats when it affects your movement speed?)

anything I pick up that I dont use/want goes into the bottomless box at the bonfire. its kind of odd that theres no option to simply discard items, or even break them down into materials to use for repairs.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Only what you have equipped effects your load, you can have an infinite amount of stuff in your inventory and never be over encumbered.

You will be able to get rid of excess equipment in exchange for souls when you meet a certain character later on.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Waza? Explain please :pac:

If you go into your stat menu, there's an equip burden stat. The first number is your current weight, second is your Max

Dividing the first number into the second one gives you a percentage.
    If your percentage is 25% OR UNDER you roll faster and further, and you run and sprint faster too
    If your percentage is 50% OR UNDER you roll slower, run slower and sprint slower
    If your percentage is 75% OR UNDER you roll very slow, and run and sprint much more slowly
    Over 75% I don't think you can even roll :O

Rolling faster means you have more time to roll, recover and you're invincible for more of the roll.
    If you're under 25% you can wear the Dark Wood Grain Ring, and you cartwheel instead of rolling, it's very fast, and you're invincible for much longer than a roll.

All weapons and armor have a weight, but only when you're wearing them. Upping Endurance puts up your max carry weight, as well as the Ring of Favor and Protection, The Mask of the Father, and Havels Ring.

Aiming for ~24%, ~49% will give you the heaviest armor for those weight classes. I posted a link a few pages back to show the best armor you can get for the limit you want.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Only what you have equipped effects your load, you can have an infinite amount of stuff in your inventory and never be over encumbered.

You will be able to get rid of excess equipment in exchange for souls when you meet a certain character later on.

I figured that much myself, I just like to keep my inventory to the bare minimum as its pretty clunky to navigate, plus you're always vulnerable when messing around in it.

• Advertisement

derfderf wrote: »
    Did you beat any other bosses since you got the lord vessel? You might not be 3/4 through yet

Don't think so, I've killed about maybe 12 bosses in total so far.

Got my Halbert up on +5 anyway, it's killing most things in two swings. Some of the bigger stuff in three. Doing the job anyway, I don't like any of the bigger weapons that take ages to swing.

Seems my weight is at 26%, must work on getting that down.

Don't think so, I've killed about maybe 12 bosses in total so far.

Got my Halbert up on +5 anyway, it's killing most things in two swings. Some of the bigger stuff in three. Doing the job anyway, I don't like any of the bigger weapons that take ages to swing.

Balder Side Sword and Uchigatana are two of the faster weapons in the game! If you try out a dex run, you should pick between one of these. The Iaito is up there too.

Nito, Seath, The 4 Kings and The Bed of Chaos are the last bosses to finish the game, and then you've the finale obviously, but it's a short trek to it. Not easy though ;)
    After O&S is about half way, and 10% for the 5 bosses above, so you can judge yourself :)

Exchange a piece of armor for something lighter, or drop a piece altogether

Balder Side Sword and Uchigatana are two of the faster weapons in the game! If you try out a dex run, you should pick between one of these. The Iaito is up there too.

Nito, Seath, The 4 Kings and The Bed of Chaos are the last bosses to finish the game, and then you've the finale obviously, but it's a short trek to it. Not easy though ;)
    After O&S is about half way, and 10% for the 5 bosses above, so you can judge yourself :)

Exchange a piece of armor for something lighter, or drop a piece altogether

I was trying to get the balder side sword by farming some of the balder guards for a while, but gave up as they weren't dropping it. Happy enough with the Halberd though now.

I've The 4 Kings done, and I quit the game just before I started Seath so only two left after that I guess.

I was trying to get the balder side sword by farming some of the balder guards for a while, but gave up as they weren't dropping it. Happy enough with the Halberd though now.

I've The 4 Kings done, and I quit the game just before I started Seath so only two left after that I guess.

If you have 10 humanity in the counter in the top left corner, your item discovery goes up, and the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring and the Symbol of Avarice increase it too. The ring is found in Sens Fortress and Avarice is dropped from a Mimic, although I've never gotten it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I had the gold covetous ring and +10 humanity and tried farming the Balder Knights for about an hour and didn't get the BSS. It's probably the only weapon in the game I never got :(

What I think is gas about the game is the fact that I'm practically memorizing entire sections of it, the enemies are always in the same spot and you go through the areas so often you can replay it all in your head quite easily.

If you go into your stat menu, there's an equip burden stat. The first number is your current weight, second is your Max

Dividing the first number into the second one gives you a percentage.
    If your percentage is 25% OR UNDER you roll faster and further, and you run and sprint faster too
    If your percentage is 50% OR UNDER you roll slower, run slower and sprint slower
    If your percentage is 75% OR UNDER you roll very slow, and run and sprint much more slowly
    Over 75% I don't think you can even roll :O

Rolling faster means you have more time to roll, recover and you're invincible for more of the roll.
    If you're under 25% you can wear the Dark Wood Grain Ring, and you cartwheel instead of rolling, it's very fast, and you're invincible for much longer than a roll.

All weapons and armor have a weight, but only when you're wearing them. Upping Endurance puts up your max carry weight, as well as the Ring of Favor and Protection, The Mask of the Father, and Havels Ring.

Aiming for ~24%, ~49% will give you the heaviest armor for those weight classes. I posted a link a few pages back to show the best armor you can get for the limit you want.

Did not know that, in fact I just presumed it just effected how much you can carry.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

What I think is gas about the game is the fact that I'm practically memorizing entire sections of it, the enemies are always in the same spot and you go through the areas so often you can replay it all in your head quite easily.

Like the fight scenes in the Sherlock Holmes movies :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

If you have 10 humanity in the counter in the top left corner, your item discovery goes up, and the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring and the Symbol of Avarice increase it too. The ring is found in Sens Fortress and Avarice is dropped from a Mimic, although I've never gotten it

Kill all the mimics and the last one will drop it for you.

• Advertisement

The hydra and queelag are no more....

Mildred made it the easiest boss battle so far.

Advertisement