Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I hear you can't pause this.
    Is it going to demand huge amounts of my time in blocks?

I don't mind putting huge amounts of hours into a game but I do mind not being able to put it down when life calls.

Should I stay away?
    You cant pause it but you can quit the game and restart at exactly the same point. You'll also be dying quite a bit and will find yourself at the checkpoints regularly so all-in-all you should be fine for playing in small chunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Right so.
    Thanks for that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Killed Hydra last night, and have a plan for tonight. The ghosts in New Londo Ruins have pissed me off for too long. Just read that if you use your ghost killing weapons (the Ghostblade or Jagged Edge of the Ghost) in 2H, you can block with them. Was pissing me off, as their attacks were going straight throw my shields.

Time for some revenge ****ers! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

well got my soul arrows and large soul arrows working late last night, killed my first dark night, he dropped a sword that is too heavy for me at the moment, and something else, maybe a titaium shard , it was late :p

really great game, being able to get further , and kill enemies a bit easier as you go on and get better weapons etc. half 3 finishing playing last night, cannot wait to play tonight again. nice making a bit of progress !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Aim for today , collect 30 humanities for my covenant then change over, buy everything from big hat logan, and aquire a stronger weapon than the drake sword. Any ideas what weapon i can use, ive just beaten
    the iron giant
    and landed in the new area ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Yeah, the Black knights regularly drop Titanite Shards, just they have a chance to also drop weapons and armour.

After 4 days trying to kill Ornstein and Surough, I shouted "F**K IT ALL TO HELL" and left Anor Londo (but not after grinding the knights near there and getting from SL50 to 62 in 3 hours last night :D ). Kiled the Hydra (easy once you realise he stops spitting at you up close) and cleared the forest up to the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I just killed 2 gargoyles (I summoned solaire somehow I dont even know how....) and rang the bell on the tower. There was some merchant there offering services I couldnt afford, what do they do?

Gandalph wrote: »
    I just killed 2 gargoyles (I summoned solaire somehow I dont even know how....) and rang the bell on the tower. There was some merchant there offering services I couldnt afford, what do they do?

That merchant is for the online aspects (mostly). He can wipe your sins, and you can put peoples names on the Book of the Guilty, marking them as invaders. Not sure exactly how it works though, as i've yet to do it.

Speaking of Covenants, if i leave a covenant, can i still use the items i got from them? Say if i joined the Gravelord covenant (for the Gravelord sword), then left it. Could i still use the sword?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Kirby wrote: »
    I have a ring that helps resist curse and Ive been wearing it ages. Havent gotten cursed yet.

I'm assuming the rusty ring helps movement in water? I don't have that. Where'd you get it?

And whats the axe from his tail? Is it one handed or two? I missed that bit. If I leave a summon sign and help other people do the boss can I get that axe?

Heres a tip, any, ANY, bosses with tails you see in this game, try to chop em off. Most of the drops from the tails are big ass high STR weapons, but there are one or two smaller ones. You should even chop the tail off a certain...hmm....npc that was thought to be extinct judging from the opening cinematic. He wont even be pissed!
    Kiith wrote: »
    Killed Hydra last night, and have a plan for tonight. The ghosts in New Londo Ruins have pissed me off for too long. Just read that if you use your ghost killing weapons (the Ghostblade or Jagged Edge of the Ghost) in 2H, you can block with them. Was pissing me off, as their attacks were going straight throw my shields.

Man you where flying through the game when it first came out, i thought you woulda been finished by now. You stuck on some place? Or just havent been playing? Thats odd cause i could block them with an Eagle Shield, but they do have an unblockable grab attack. Instead of blocking i ran through the area with me Claymore 2handed smashing em :D

As for your problems with Dark Knight gear, i wouldnt worry about it. They can be farmed on the last area in the game before the boss and you can get every Dark Knight item along with a full set of armour.
    tonydude wrote: »
    Any ideas what weapon i can use, ive just beaten
    the iron giant

Find a weapon moveset that you like and upgrade the weapon on a path that suits your character. Or just upgrade it to a lightning weapon. The stat scaling is so bad in this game that Lightning weapons are the best weapons in the game bar none. Which kinda sucks.

For most of the game i have been using a Raw Claymore +5. But its starting to show its age now and i switched over to the Dark Knight Sword +5 :D Or even upgrade the Drakesword, which uses Dragonscales which are hard to come by.

Check this out

Weapons_Upgrade_chart.jpg

Man you where flying through the game when it first came out, i thought you woulda been finished by now. You stuck on some place? Or just havent been playing? Thats odd cause i could block them with an Eagle Shield, but they do have an unblockable grab attack. Instead of blocking i ran through the area with me Claymore 2handed smashing em :D

I've not been able to play at all since the weekend. Last night was the 1st time i got to turn the console on all week. Stupid real life getting in the way. Will get a few more hours in tonight, and get some revenge. Want to get my Lightning Spear to at least +5 too, though farming Titanite Chunks is slow going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

upgrading of the weapons is done at the blacksmiths , right, ?
    or how do i go about it ! there is so much to this game , or which are the best ones to concentrate on.

i also joined the covenant from the fat lad by the elevator to the undead parish , needs faith for it :( , my lowest stat. what is the general crack with the covenants ? how do i leave and reprocutions etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

After collecting a large amber, amongst other things I took a visit to the blacksmith in the parish. He asked me for the amber to fashion a weapon out of. should I have? How do I get the weapon? I gave him another amber I think to make another weapon out of. But still havent gotten anything back. Do I need to go back and ask him to reinforce a weapon of mine witht he ambers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

2smiggy wrote: »
    upgrading of the weapons is done at the blacksmiths , right, ?
    or how do i go about it ! there is so much to this game , or which are the best ones to concentrate on.

i also joined the covenant from the fat lad by the elevator to the undead parish , needs faith for it :( , my lowest stat. what is the general crack with the covenants ? how do i leave and reprocutions etc etc

Yeah you can upgrade at blacksmiths, depending on the type of weapon. You can either reinforce certain weapons (Standard weapons) after you've upgraded them to either a +5 or +10, it'll usually take away the scaling effects of the weapon but it'll add something else... like lightning.

To upgrade your weapon to +1 through +15 you need titanite shards/chunks/slabs and some souls.

Heres a great site that'll be constantly updated when more is known about the game, http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Upgrades .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

After collecting a large amber, amongst other things I took a visit to the blacksmith in the parish. He asked me for the amber to fashion a weapon out of. should I have? How do I get the weapon? I gave him another amber I think to make another weapon out of. But still havent gotten anything back. Do I need to go back and ask him to reinforce a weapon of mine witht he ambers?

The Ambers essentially unlock the capacity to craft specific weapons, such as Fire, Divine, Lightning, etc. All he meant was if you get a weapon to +5 you can upgrade it to a special weapon, no free weapons here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Which is better, this or Ninja Gaiden?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Wrong thread to ask that in. It's the Dark souls thread. 90% of the people posting in here have it and love it so you wont get an objective answer.

Here is my opinion though. Dark souls says, "See that dragon over there that one shotted you? Well if you are clever about it, you can beat him." Ninja Gaiden says, "Here is 4 enemies flying at you while we pan the camera around so you can't see them. Enjoy."

They are both difficult games but my vote would be for Dark souls. Its less cheap with its difficulty. The tools to win are out there in Dark souls.

I just defeated the gaping dragon,and got a f**k ton of souls, was wondering is it reccomended to buy the glorius armor off the nearby merchant or is there anything as good or better around my area/level? (level 23), characters a Knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Going crazy here, im in Anor Londo and im facing the 2 knights and those 5 gargoyles, they're no the problem i can run through all them but that black knight blocking my block on the right hand side is doing my nut in , and i cant knock him off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Had a small session last night, just got to before the Capra demon and now wearing some leather armor I got from the assassin dudes, seems to have good defense and is very light.

This evening I will take on Capra and see how that goes, kind of stuck wondering which area I should explore/what to do next. Still using the Drake sword as my main weapon, along with a dark knight shield. I also have opened the ability to buy miracles from that guy at Firelink - might get the heal miracle. Anyone any thoughts on it?

Noopti wrote: »
    This evening I will take on Capra and see how that goes, kind of stuck wondering which area I should explore/what to do next. Still using the Drake sword as my main weapon, along with a dark knight shield. I also have opened the ability to buy miracles from that guy at Firelink - might get the heal miracle. Anyone any thoughts on it?

After you defeat capra you will get a key to go into the sewers below the slums, decent area not too hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

F1ngers wrote: »
    From what I have read, no.
    The whole indictment thing is built around this, apparently a lvl 60 can invade a lvl 10...only one outcome there really, hence the indictment system.

You have to be human to activate them.

The invading system works slightly different from Demon's Souls. You can invade someone that is 10 levels + 10% of your SL above you (i.e level 40 can invade up to 54). Not exactly the same method for those lower level, you need to be within their level cap range worked out with the same system using their SL. It's a bit confusing...

There is no level cap on protecting the forest however, anyones free game if you have the ring!!
    its not working said it failed and took my orbs

Yeah that happens alright, if you want a permanent invade stone you need to join the Dark Wraiths!!
    Whats up with the "Praise the sun" lark everywere, is there just some kook leaving them around everywere on live?

It's the Demon's Souls equivalent of Umbasa!! Have you not being paying attention to the story?? :p

Best way to handle them I found is if you have a transcentent curse or two run through the ruins and gather up as many of them as possible, try make it up to the back wall then use the curse and take them out as they come at you, they should come in small groups, makes them pretty handy and clears out the whole area.
    Aim for today , collect 30 humanities for my covenant then change over, buy everything from big hat logan, and aquire a stronger weapon than the drake sword. Any ideas what weapon i can use, ive just beaten
    the iron giant

There is a very nice weapon in Sen's Fortress hidden in a room with a chest around the half way mark, it's near the room that shoots the boulders out.
    It's in a chest but be prepared to fight for it, i'd advise attacking the chest before opening it!! It's a lightning spear and does great damage as well as being able to attack with your shield up. Upgrade it for even better results
    That merchant is for the online aspects (mostly). He can wipe your sins, and you can put peoples names on the Book of the Guilty, marking them as invaders. Not sure exactly how it works though, as i've yet to do it.

Speaking of Covenants, if i leave a covenant, can i still use the items i got from them? Say if i joined the Gravelord covenant (for the Gravelord sword), then left it. Could i still use the sword?

Yep I joined gravelord for just that reason, got the sword and left straight afterwards!!
    I just defeated the gaping dragon,and got a f**k ton of souls, was wondering is it reccomended to buy the glorius armor off the nearby merchant or is there anything as good or better around my area/level? (level 23), characters a Knight.

You should always use your souls to focus on leveling up whenever possible, I wouldn't buy any armour as you can always find better as you progress through the game. No harm spending souls on upgrade stones for your weapons however!!

Big Knox wrote: »
    Yep I joined gravelord for just that reason, got the sword and left straight afterwards!!

Excellent, thanks. What's the sword like btw? And thanks for the tip on New Londo. Will give it a go later. Was trying to avoid using the Translucent Curse, even though i have about 4 of them i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Noopti wrote: »
    Had a small session last night, just got to before the Capra demon and now wearing some leather armor I got from the assassin dudes, seems to have good defense and is very light.

Am gonna take on the Capra myself tonight. It's a strange arena you fight him in with the narrowness and the stairs and the tree in the way. The dogs are a pain too. Almost had him last night but twas time for bed.

Does a better shield decrease the amount of stamina absorbed through blocking?

Excellent, thanks. What's the sword like btw? And thanks for the tip on New Londo. Will give it a go later. Was trying to avoid using the Translucent Curse, even though i have about 4 of them i think.

Haven't actually used it yet, haven't levelled my DEX high enough but I hear at +5 it is very good. There are weapons that scale better though so at say 40+ STR there would be better options available.

Yeah I only had 2 Translucent curse going in there but the good news is they have a chance to drop them when killed, using the item find ring might be a good option also to increase the chance you get more!!

Does a better shield decrease the amount of stamina absorbed through blocking?

Yep the stability rating determines how much stamina is used per block, large shields generally have the highest stability but weight alot more than parrying shields.

If you can find it the Eagle Shield in blighttown is a great mix between stability and weight!!

I bought a crystal sword there a bit back and now its nearly broken I cant seem to get the blacksmith to fix it, its not coming up in the list of weapons for repair, whats up with that?

I bought a crystal sword there a bit back and now its nearly broken I cant seem to get the blacksmith to fix it, its not coming up in the list of weapons for repair, whats up with that?

You can't repair crystal weapons, they have much higher damage output than normal weapons but the downside is they can't be repaired.

Big Knox wrote: »
    You can't repair crystal weapons, they have much higher damage output than normal weapons but the downside is they can't be repaired.

And I was doing decently ever since I bought that :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Finally got this game yesterday , played bout 6 hours so far , defiently harder than demons souls, no cake walk here im afraid .:D

Advertisement