Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭crazydom

Try power levelling in the forest before starting the main campaign!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Bought this game again from xv market place . Hopefully this time it will be sent .
    It's only 5 euros on it if anyone needs a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

was in Painted World the other night with sorcerer and got into a loop of being too aggressive and getting killed which of course leads to getting too loose and getting killed by weak mobs and of course ends up with falling off the map in attempts to quickly get back to where you were...very frustrating and almost rage quit inducing...so I've just about had enough of the painted world for the night and I've opened the shortcut to the bonfire...decision is do I finish it off now or leave it till another day...in every other playthrough this area is easy enough as I've always done str or str/dex builds and while the mini pinwheels are a pain in the A they are easy with decent poise and stamina and patience, it just takes time...my fear here is that my weak-ass sorcerer with zero poise and little stamina is going to be annihilated by them when I go down into the cellars...I decide fvck it, one try before the leaba...I stick on homing soul mass...how fvcking easy was that...they don't even make it near you...genius...and all the rage washes away:D

It arrived this morning . I got r@ped for 3 hours .
    I am stuck in undead burg . I keep getting killed by the black knight . I try to draw him out but I keep dying . If I go upstairs to fight the boss I die .
    Any advice ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I am stuck in undead burg . I keep getting killed by the black knight . I try to draw him out but I keep dying . If I go upstairs to fight the boss I die .
    Any advice ?

To beat the black knight, you could poke and run or come back when you're stronger.
    The beat the boss,
    climb up the parapet and drop down on the boss - rinse and repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Finally gave up on lost izalith, the sage demon kept making bits of me. Gone to catacombs now and things are progressing nicely, just put down the first boss and ready to keep on rolling

Just run behind him. He will spam his arse slam attack so when you do run behind him as soon as he goes up in the air move back abit put ur shield up. Then attack when he's finished it. Rinse and repeat he is really easy once you get the hang of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Any advice ?

I don't have access to my ps3 anymore ( :( ) so I just check in with this thread every now and then but it's great seeing more people play this as newbs, I only bought it late last year myself and this thread was a massive help. Don't read too many faqs or guides though unless you're frustrated to the point of not playing anymore and need a push in the right direction. Figuring out what does and doesn't work is most of the fun with DS.

krudler wrote: »
    I don't have access to my ps3 anymore ( :( ) so I just check in with this thread every now and then but it's great seeing more people play this as newbs, I only bought it late last year myself and this thread was a massive help. Don't read too many faqs or guides though unless you're frustrated to the point of not playing anymore and need a push in the right direction. Figuring out what does and doesn't work is most of the fun with DS.

I haven't watched guides . Let's just say I die a lot :P
    Trying to figure out if blocking or parrying is better. I definitely need to work on my parry .
    I have the prepare to die edition aswell . I heard it's much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I haven't watched guides . Let's just say I die a lot :P
    Trying to figure out if blocking or parrying is better. I definitely need to work on my parry .
    I have the prepare to die edition aswell . I heard it's much better.

If you can time parrying correctly, you will breeze half the game, blocking is safer generally, but doesn't give the back stab obviously. I can't parry, after beating this game twice and Dark Souls II 5 times...it takes a certain person I think :PAC:

The Prepare to Die is the same thing bit with the DLC on disc, you're probably better just jumping straight into it

If you can time parrying correctly, you will breeze half the game, blocking is safer generally, but doesn't give the back stab obviously. I can't parry, after beating this game twice and Dark Souls II 5 times...it takes a certain person I think :PAC:

The Prepare to Die is the same thing bit with the DLC on disc, you're probably better just jumping straight into it

You can't though you still need to reach a certain point of the game before you can access the dlc area. Or do you mean getting to there asap?

• Advertisement

You can't though you still need to reach a certain point of the game before you can access the dlc area. Or do you mean getting to there asap?

I meant just playing on the PTD disc, or can save files carry between both discs?

I meant just playing on the PTD disc, or can save files carry between both discs?

They carry if you have the dlc downloaded other then that nope

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    They carry if you have the dlc downloaded other then that nope

That's what I meant, the other poster seemed to imply he had the standard edition and the PTD? Or maybe I'm just reading it wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

Managed to reach the top of Sens at 4.30 this morning started playing about 11.00 pm "I must be nuts" Nearly rage quit couldnt find the shrine no estus left and ran into a huge mace wielding black knight :mad: died. One more go and found the shrine :D If i have to cross beams with swinging axes with large Snakey Sh*ts killing me I think I will crack up. And I spotted whats waiting for me Kinda a big boy this should be fun :rolleyes:

p38 wrote: »
    Managed to reach the top of Sens at 4.30 this morning started playing about 11.00 pm "I must be nuts" Nearly rage quit couldnt find the shrine no estus left and ran into a huge mace wielding black knight :mad: died. One more go and found the shrine :D If i have to cross beams with swinging axes with large Snakey Sh*ts killing me I think I will crack up. And I spotted whats waiting for me Kinda a big boy this should be fun :rolleyes:

If you like challenges I'd recommend facing on your own :) if not theirs an NPC close to the fog door

You lucky ba*tard

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

I've done all the bosses apart from queelag solo so far. I keep getting killed by his initial overhead smash, followed by the swipe just as I get back on my feet. I didn't have much trouble with the asylum demon, but the stray demon did take me about 10 tries before it finally went down. I find some enemies harder to deal with than others. Titanite demons are another weakness of mine.

There's a trick to beating titanite demons. If you stand front right of them they usually cannot hit you. Keep moving towards his right side and he hopefully won't do the overhead smash.

Another marathon session till the early hours just trying to beat Sens boss (most of the time it wasnt boss defeating me it was me roiling off the small walkway:mad:) was tempted when human to call npc for help but kept at it and defeated the sonofabi**h on my own with my electric spear:D . Wow Andor londo is class looking .

Another marathon session till the early hours just trying to beat Sens boss (most of the time it wasnt boss defeating me it was me roiling off the small walkway:mad:) was tempted when human to call npc for help but kept at it and defeated the sonofabi**h on my own with my electric spear:D . Wow Andor londo is class looking .

Anor Londo is probably the high point of the game, some fantastic enemies and one of the best boss fights ever in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Just run behind him. He will spam his arse slam attack so when you do run behind him as soon as he goes up in the air move back abit put ur shield up. Then attack when he's finished it. Rinse and repeat he is really easy once you get the hang of it :)

Just as a heads up there is a short range of effect behind him about a spears length or so. Once you figure it out you can dart past him and then as soon as he starts the body slam get behind him and out of range, then as soon as you can dart back in and hit him. He'll get back up - dart out - then start from the beginning. Every time I play him I strip off all armour so I get the most speed. Once you know his reach he is really easy to kill, you may die a few times figuring it out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Conza41

Right, so, for some time now I've been at Gwyn, the very last boss of the game. I've died almost more times than I did to Ornstein & Smough and I died far too many times to them guys. I've looked up how to beat him and all I've gotten is to counter his attacks. I've tried it, I've failed most of the time, if I'm very lucky I'll counter one of his attacks. Is there any way to beat him without having to counter him? I'm really bad at counter attacking

• Advertisement

Thanks for tips . Beat tauras.i think I need some sort of projectile to kill the dragon .
    Poison is so fcuking annoying. Still getting destroyed by black nights :(

Conza41 wrote: »
    Right, so, for some time now I've been at Gwyn, the very last boss of the game. I've died almost more times than I did to Ornstein & Smough and I died far too many times to them guys. I've looked up how to beat him and all I've gotten is to counter his attacks. I've tried it, I've failed most of the time, if I'm very lucky I'll counter one of his attacks. Is there any way to beat him without having to counter him? I'm really bad at counter attacking

God I hated Gwyn the first time...what epuip ratio are you? If you can roll in, and make him use his grab move, roll out and then attack quickly you can get some very cheap hits in. Gold Hemmed Black Set and Fireplate Ring or whatever you call it, its in Sens can nullify a lot of the Fire damage from his attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

Im guessing its how you're using your estus flasks. You must wait until he has committed to an attack and missed or been blocked. You use an estus flask instead of launching your own attack if that makes any sense. If he is free when you go for your estus then he will launch himself at you. Other things might be how you've setup your character, parrying is one way but being a tank with a big ass shield is another. Another is dodging everything he tries to hit you with. Go with your playstyle for this run through. I think theres an area where you can hide behind some rocks but I'm not sure because I always found Gwyn straightforward because of the way I play. If you've beaten Ornstein and Smough you can take him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

TARKUS!!!! He's worth using just for the fact that he's can beat the boss on his own, even on NG+ he can handle the golem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Parrying, if you can do it, I can't, make him trivial.

Here's how I beat him. From the entrance at about 10 o'clock, so forward and to the left, there is a rocky outcrop. Keep that between him and you. Wait for his attacks, which will bounce off the outcrop, then get one of your own in. Take it slowly, and patiently. You'll even have enough of a window if you wait until after he attacks to sup on an estus if you need it. Good luck.

Is it worth upgrading weapons or should I keep increasing level ? Reached first smith in undead parish .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Is it worth upgrading weapons or should I keep increasing level ? Reached first smith in undead parish .

Upgrading your weapon is key! Focus on upgrading your main one.

Definitely, and as you're in that area head into the church nearby and farm the Balder knights (the guys with the capes) and see if they drop a Balder Side Sword, its rare, but it wrecks

Definitely, and as you're in that area head into the church nearby and farm the Balder knights (the guys with the capes) and see if they drop a Balder Side Sword, its rare, but it wrecks

excellent advice I spent ages farming the balder knights but managed to finally get a Balder side sword its class and im still leveling it up . But now that I've reached Andor londo might change to a longer reach weapon because what I've come up against so far have a seriously long reach

• Advertisement

excellent advice I spent ages farming the balder knights but managed to finally get a Balder side sword its class and im still leveling it up . But now that I've reached Andor londo might change to a longer reach weapon because what I've come up against so far have a seriously long reach

Improve your rolling or minimum blocking timing, you won't have a problem with the sentinels, and most of the batwing demons can be made kill themselves with their back jump..even though they can...yano, fly

Advertisement