Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Gandalph wrote: »
    And I was doing decently ever since I bought that :(

What are your current stats and what areas of the game have you cleared so far?? I'll try recommend a weapon for you!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What are your stats like Big Knox? Just wondering, as you seem pretty far in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Any tips on how to kill Lautrec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Am hitting a brick wall in every area I go to now. I beefed up with a +5 Battle Axe and some reinforced armour but the magic route I took with my stats has crippled me. Bar the 2 Soul Arrows I've not come across any magic / pyromancies in the game, I'm 20 hours in ffs! In Demons Souls I had Warding, Soul Ray and a Dark Moon Falchion by now.

Also, what is the story with healing in this game!?! The estus flasks take an eternity to be removed from your pocket and then top up your lifemad.gif Getting far enough away from a boss to heal is painful and you often get caught half way through only needing to do it again. Infuriating.

Kiith wrote: »
    What are your stats like Big Knox? Just wondering, as you seem pretty far in.

Im at the very end of the game, at the last boss for awhile now but im not moving onto NG+ just yet, have been taking time just farming upgrade stones and re-running areas to make sure ive got everything I need. Messing around with the covenants aswell and doing some invading!!

Im SL 80, stats are

VIT 40
    END 40
    STR 36 (Currently working towards 50)
    DEX 12

Everything else is untouched, started as a bandit so have no access to mircales or spells yet. Will look into increasing FAI once STR is 50 to get access to second chance possibly.

The problem I have is even with 36 STR atm I cant find any weapon that comes close to my Lightning Claymore for damage. The bigger strength weapons like the Demon weapons (Hammer, Axe, Machete) will eventually outdamage it but only once I have the 50 STR needed to use them which is crazy.

Im starting to regret levelling STR now and feel FAI would have been much more beneficial. :(

• Advertisement

tonydude wrote: »
    Any tips on how to kill Lautrec

Run up one of the side stairs to the top so they can only come at you one at a time. I two handed my sword and went all out on him, he goes down pretty fast however if the caster with him does drop a rare catalyst so if you're a caster you might want to consider killing him first.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Big Knox wrote: »
    Run up one of the side stairs to the top so they can only come at you one at a time. I two handed my sword and went all out on him, he goes down pretty fast however if the caster with him does drop a rare catalyst so if you're a caster you might want to consider killing him first.

I don't think that's Lautrec? Lautrec is the gold armored guy in the cell. Didn't find him that hard. Just lure him to outside the church and keep some distance. if I remember correctly he rolls fairly slowly and you can get a few hits in when he does. Watch out for his parry stance btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Razleavy wrote: »
    I don't think that's Lautrec? Lautrec is the gold armored guy in the cell. Didn't find him that hard. Just lure him to outside the church and keep some distance. if I remember correctly he rolls fairly slowly and you can get a few hits in when he does. Watch out for his parry stance btw!

There is two fights with Lautrec. One where you can simply attack him and fight him on his own, the other is a special event where he is with two other phantoms, one a caster and one a spear and shield guy.

As Knox said just run up the side of the stairs so they cant flank you and then go all out. I 2handed my Claymore and cut though all 3 of them on the stairway.

Im at the very end of the game, at the last boss for awhile now but im not moving onto NG+ just yet, have been taking time just farming upgrade stones and re-running areas to make sure ive got everything I need. Messing around with the covenants aswell and doing some invading!!

Im SL 80, stats are

VIT 40
    END 40
    STR 36 (Currently working towards 50)
    DEX 12

Everything else is untouched, started as a bandit so have no access to mircales or spells yet. Will look into increasing FAI once STR is 50 to get access to second chance possibly.

The problem I have is even with 36 STR atm I cant find any weapon that comes close to my Lightning Claymore for damage. The bigger strength weapons like the Demon weapons (Hammer, Axe, Machete) will eventually outdamage it but only once I have the 50 STR needed to use them which is crazy.

Im starting to regret levelling STR now and feel FAI would have been much more beneficial. :(

The scaling of stats in this game is a joke. Nothing compares to Lightning +5 and Fire +10 weapons in PvE and PvP. Alot of people are making PvP builds and all they do is pump VIT and END and get the necessary reqs to hold a weapon and let the Lightning DMG do all the work. Taking an elemetal weapon should be a choice to use it against things that are weak to Lightning and weak to Fire and they should do more DMG against those enemys than say a +15 weapon. But alas this isnt a game that needs constant rebalancing like MMO's and what have you so i doubt From Soft will even bother.

Im actually at the same point as you in the game, infront of the door to the final boss. But i didnt enter. Did some grinding of the mobs in the final area as they drop all kinds of stones for weapon upgrades with what seems like a 100% drop rate. Also did some grinding of the Leeches in the swamp for large titan shards.

Stats at the moment

SL:72
    VIT: 18
    ATT: 12
    END: 30
    STR: 37
    DEX: 18
    RES: 10
    INT: 9
    FAI: 20

I wouldnt bother with FAI, so far the only decent spells i got are heal and replenishment (regen) Heal is good outside of battle and thats it. Regen is just ok, was nice when i was farming in the swamp though, thats about the best use i got out of it. :D Currently in Blade of the Darkmoon so i can get Darkmoon Blade FAI spell.

There is no second chance spell :mad:

Int and Pyro seem to have all the best melee enhancing spells but at this stage im to lazy to go down such paths. Although Pyro spells can be used by anyone...so who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

After enless frustration I gave in and summoned some dudes to help me out. Kind of feels like cheating though :o

Also found the Sorcerers Apprentice guy under Undead Berg. Finally some good magic :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I'm betwixt and between with this game. I'm enjoying the game, I like the combat and the atmosphere and the constant danger of imminent death. But I dont really know if I have the patience to finish it out. I'm after getting into the depths, worked my way down to the swamps at the bottom and died. Now I got to all the way back down there and try not to get killed on the way so I can pick up my 15,000 or so souls that I left down there. I'm not sure I have the patients to go all the way down there, let alone through the rest of the game! But I'm still enjoying it, i think.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Man i want that fog ring im reading about.

I just entered Anor Londo. I was using the uchigatana the whole game, have it at +8, but just got the lightning spear which is way better.

Should i stick with lightning spear or upgrade uchigatana to lightning ?

Seems like all the stats i put into DEX was a bit of a waste coz lightning is so powerful

I'm betwixt and between with this game. I'm enjoying the game, I like the combat and the atmosphere and the constant danger of imminent death. But I dont really know if I have the patience to finish it out. I'm after getting into the depths, worked my way down to the swamps at the bottom and died. Now I got to all the way back down there and try not to get killed on the way so I can pick up my 15,000 or so souls that I left down there. I'm not sure I have the patients to go all the way down there, let alone through the rest of the game! But I'm still enjoying it, i think.:o

Great post! Haha. You can pretty much skip right to the boss off the depths as there is a shortcut that leads almost right to him. Remember that area where you fought the Butcher guy? Behind his table with all the meat on it is a hidden shortcut. Drop down and you can get right to the boss. I went this way first time by accident but didnt fight the boss as i wanted to explore the area. If your having problems down in the depths go through it as a human and the frogs wont bother you. But you will get attacked by a strong(ish) enemy if you are human so becareful
    Spunge wrote: »
    Man i want that fog ring im reading about.

I just entered Anor Londo. I was using the uchigatana the whole game, have it at +8, but just got the lightning spear which is way better.

Should i stick with lightning spear or upgrade uchigatana to lightning ?

Seems like all the stats i put into DEX was a bit of a waste coz lightning is so powerful

Read my post above. Lightning is the best weapon type in the game bar none. So much so that DEX and STR have simply become stats for equiping weapons and not stats for raising Damage for certain weapons. If you want the best DMG output go with Lightning. If you like the Uchigatana's moveset more than the spear then yeah upgrade the Uchi to Lightning. That being said im still leveling my STR all the way to 50 and i shall never touch a Lightning enchanted weapon! Unless im on NG+++++ maybe :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Had a good session tonight. Managed to get through most of New Londo Ruins, and killed the Four Kings. Wasn't too bad once i just blitzed them down. Just glad i don't really need to go back into that area now. Also killed Smough & Ornstein. Now that was a tough fight. 3rd time lucky, and it was really tense. Really enjoyable.

SL 62 atm.

ok so i swap my drake sword for the lightning spear +3, did i make the right choice upgrading the spear ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

ok so i swap my drake sword for the lightning spear +3, did i make the right choice upgrading the spear ?

I would say so.
    I've all but abandoned the drake sword too for the halberd +6.
    The drake sword was the business earlier in the game but it doesn't seem to increase.

Been fighting the final boss for the last hour now. He is absolutely relentless in his attacks, they deal elemental fire dmg (passes your block) have massive range, hes fast, he dodges, he has an unblockable and hes a bastard!

Looks like upgrade the wrong greatshield. Shoulda upgraded the one with high fire resist

The scaling of stats in this game is a joke. Nothing compares to Lightning +5 and Fire +10 weapons in PvE and PvP. Alot of people are making PvP builds and all they do is pump VIT and END and get the necessary reqs to hold a weapon and let the Lightning DMG do all the work. Taking an elemetal weapon should be a choice to use it against things that are weak to Lightning and weak to Fire and they should do more DMG against those enemys than say a +15 weapon. But alas this isnt a game that needs constant rebalancing like MMO's and what have you so i doubt From Soft will even bother.

Im actually at the same point as you in the game, infront of the door to the final boss. But i didnt enter. Did some grinding of the mobs in the final area as they drop all kinds of stones for weapon upgrades with what seems like a 100% drop rate. Also did some grinding of the Leeches in the swamp for large titan shards.

Stats at the moment

SL:72
    VIT: 18
    ATT: 12
    END: 30
    STR: 37
    DEX: 18
    RES: 10
    INT: 9
    FAI: 20

I wouldnt bother with FAI, so far the only decent spells i got are heal and replenishment (regen) Heal is good outside of battle and thats it. Regen is just ok, was nice when i was farming in the swamp though, thats about the best use i got out of it. :D Currently in Blade of the Darkmoon so i can get Darkmoon Blade FAI spell.

There is no second chance spell :mad:

Int and Pyro seem to have all the best melee enhancing spells but at this stage im to lazy to go down such paths. Although Pyro spells can be used by anyone...so who knows

Yeah ive been doin the same just farming chunks and splitting them into shards etc.

Just checked it, seems like it was leaked on the jp wiki but it was false info. You're right about the scaling, it's just so wrong right now I hate it. The fact you need to level STR to 50 before you go over a lightning weapons damage is just stupid. There should be more A scaling weapons in the game for both STR and DEX. Right now great weapons are the only weapons that are worth using for a STR build and I hate slow weapons, not my play style at all but will have to try adapt.

Have been messing about with havels set and the hyper armour side of things whichs looks intresting, at least if you have a massive slow weapon with enough poise you can swing through incoming hits and put out the damage.

But as I said, I hate not being able to roll quickly so will see how it goes. Im gonna get a few levels and try get 50 STR and do some work with different weapons, ill report back when I try a few out in the next couple of days once im leveled up and have upgraded the weapons!!

yea having no problems with it, nice weapon. Have come across the cutest little enemies in the great hallow. Description :
    There small mushroom men and the have little arm and try to punch you. I killed them before they did incase they were toxic :D

Read my post above. Lightning is the best weapon type in the game bar none. So much so that DEX and STR have simply become stats for equiping weapons and not stats for raising Damage for certain weapons. If you want the best DMG output go with Lightning. If you like the Uchigatana's moveset more than the spear then yeah upgrade the Uchi to Lightning. That being said im still leveling my STR all the way to 50 and i shall never touch a Lightning enchanted weapon! Unless im on NG+++++ maybe :D

At 50 STR with the great weapons (Demons Hammer, Demons Machete and Demons Great Axe) all maxed out you will do considerably more damage then a lightning weapon and also break guards a hell of alot easier. Also mobs lightning resist will increase from each NG+ on so lightning weapons will start to scale down in damage but yeah as I said already is 50 stat points invested really worth the small damage increase in the long run? :mad:

• Advertisement

yea having no problems with it, nice weapon. Have come across the cutest little enemies in the great hallow. Description :
    There small mushroom men and the have little arm and try to punch you. I killed them before they did incase they were toxic :D

LOL wait until their big brothers show up, they are not cute!!! :pac:

LOL wait until their big brothers show up, they are not cute!!! :pac:
    just met him , bloody hell , walking so cool and relax then a small tip and 90% of you health is gone.
    EDIT: And all the souls you get an amazing 150

just met him , bloody hell , walking so cool and relax then a small tip and 90% of you health is gone.

Yep they just strut around the place lookin cool as fuck, do a little waddle over to ya and then boom, punch in the side of the head and you won't know what happened your health bar!! :D

Yep they just strut around the place lookin cool as fuck, do a little waddle over to ya and then boom, punch in the side of the head and you won't know what happened your health bar!! :D
    looked like a massacre at the bottom of the tree all the mushy folk lying dead lol

looked like a massacre at the bottom of the tree all the mushy folk lying dead lol

Hope you feel bad, you just massacred the Dark Souls equivalent of the Smurfs!!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

well he needed the smurfberries.

For some reason I just can't sit down to get an extended gaming version of this. Only have 10 hours clocked since release

Well thats that, game cleared. Last boss has a massive weakness that if you figure out you can kill him easy enough

Ending sucks, hah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nice efficient session there :) Dragon killed and detailed for axe I'll never get to use (Depths were a breeze with a Phantom helper - no curse or anything!). Moonlight Butterfly pwned. First raw weapon reinforced. Fire orb and heavy soul arrow purchased. Little to no frustration for a change!

I'm still only on SL 26 or so - focusing on INT and STR. A nice mix of melée and brute magical force. Not sure where to go next - Blighttown, Basin or elsewhere... So much choice!

Nice efficient session there :) Dragon killed and detailed for axe I'll never get to use (Depths were a breeze with a Phantom helper - no curse or anything!). Moonlight Butterfly pwned. First raw weapon reinforced. Fire orb and heavy soul arrow purchased. Little to no frustration for a change!

I'm still only on SL 26 or so - focusing on INT and STR. A nice mix of melée and brute magical force. Not sure where to go next - Blighttown, Basin or elsewhere... So much choice!

I would highly recommend staying away from STR especially if you are a caster, if it's good melee damage you want just get a lightning weapon and upgrade it to +5 and it will do the job of putting 40 into STR, honestly it's a broken stat right now!!

Spend your points in END + VIT instead for more survivability and a bigger stamina pool!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I'll probably leave it for a while. My sword is powerful enough at the moment anyway. I have quite a few END points anyway so I'm not too bad in that regard. Trying for a bit of an all rounder, really. Magic becomes really useful though - desperate for my third spell slot at this stage!

Where does one get their hands on lightning ember?

Advertisement