Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Pm your username if you want a hand. Might have to wait until after this pesky leaving cert before I can get a good session in, but I'd say I'd be able to catch up to you in a few minutes. Might have an early game char already

Thanks. I'll leave you alone for a while so. I won't have your Leaving on my conscience! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Ah not to worry, its barely on my mind! I'll fire up the PS3 and have a look at what I have anyways

I've a SL1 and an SL17 so I should be good to give a hand. Shout if you get stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

So I managed to finish this thread during my weekend away. EPIC!

Got home last night and got the stray demon after a few tries. Magic defense ring ftw!

Dark Souls 2 on PS4 winging it's way to me from amazon also...

Finally reached the end, took out gwyndolin and priscilla last night and went for Gwyn.
    Had a couple of decent tries but think I'll try a new strategy tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

sweetie wrote: »
    Finally reached the end, took out gwyndolin and priscilla last night and went for Gwyn.
    Had a couple of decent tries but think I'll try a new strategy tonight.

he nearly drove me to distraction. what weapon are you using? I had a black knight halberd+5, and black knight armour, I finally managed to do it by keeping my distance, and by luring him into his grab animation, which is when I'd make my attack. dont back away too much or he'll launch himself at you.

other folks will recommend you parry and riposte but tbh I could never get the timing down right. Fair play to ya, you're so close!

I have choice of
    claymore + 15
    demon spear + 5
    fire Man serpent + 7
    halberd + 11
    I was using the gold hemmed for it's fire properties but might tank it up a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Go with the claymore, remove armour until you can fast roll, let him charge you and roll to his right then use the R2 lunge attack which has a good range. Stay mobile and just wait for opportunities. Some patience and you'll be grand

penev10 wrote: »
    Go with the claymore, remove armour until you can fast roll, let him charge you and roll to his right then use the R2 lunge attack which has a good range. Stay mobile and just wait for opportunities. Some patience and you'll be grand

That should be the tagline to the game really, its when you try to be too clever that you get rekt.

'Dark Souls - Some patience and you'll be grand edition'

Finished! Havel's set and ring plus fire def boost ring and charcoal on claymore two handed with grass crest shield on back. First try he had a tiny sliver left, one more hit but he got me so next go I used the green blossom stuff for another stamina regen boost and fight lasted less than a minute! Elated. Best game of last gen, hands down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 whiteramekin

haven't seen this linked here yet

Prepare to die edition steam key is $5 on amazon.com at the moment

sweetie wrote: »
    Prepare to die edition steam key is $5 on amazon.com at the moment

dark souls 2, scholar of first sin edition is only €45 in argos for xb1 and ps4 at the moment too.

dark souls 2, scholar of first sin edition is only €45 in argos for xb1 and ps4 at the moment too.

got it delivered today from amazon for about €33! I'll have a shot at 2 before I go back to the original to play the dlc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Same here, picked it up on Amazon for €33 delivered last week, great deal. Now, just the time to sit down and pull my hair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Got dark Souls 2 for 8 euro here in KR yesterday for PS3. Brand new.

Still never went back to Dark Souls after a year or so. So I'm unsure whether to go back and try that (on PC btw) or just jump into my shiny new DS2 for PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Got dark Souls 2 for 8 euro here in KR yesterday for PS3. Brand new.

Still never went back to Dark Souls after a year or so. So I'm unsure whether to go back and try that (on PC btw) or just jump into my shiny new DS2 for PS3

DS2 is the Godfather 3 of the souls series. Stick with 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

derfderf wrote: »
    DS2 is the Godfather 3 of the souls series. Stick with 1.

I disagree, I found DS2 more accessible for the less hardcore gamer, it's far easier to pick up and have fun with. I found DS1 required 100% concentration for me to make good progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I really struggle with DS2.

Find it so laborious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Hi everyone. I'm on my first play-through of DS. I'm just at the beginning of Undead Parish (fighting the boar). I'm a Warrior at level 24. I've put most of my souls into strength, vitality, endurance and resistance.

How big a part does magic/miracles play later on in the game? Should I be upgrading the relevant stats now? Magic doesn't usually interest me in games, but if it's essential for later enemies and bosses then I'll have to start upping my numbers.

Also, it's taken my almost 6 hours to get this far, which seems crazy. I've been doing a good bit of grinding but I still feel like I'm making terrible progress. Anyone else have a similar experience on their first run? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone. I'm on my first play-through of DS. I'm just at the beginning of Undead Parish (fighting the boar). I'm a Warrior at level 24. I've put most of my souls into strength, vitality, endurance and resistance.

How big a part does magic/miracles play later on in the game? Should I be upgrading the relevant stats now? Magic doesn't usually interest me in games, but if it's essential for later enemies and bosses then I'll have to start upping my numbers.

Also, it's taken my almost 6 hours to get this far, which seems crazy. I've been doing a good bit of grinding but I still feel like I'm making terrible progress. Anyone else have a similar experience on their first run? Thanks.

I can only advise you based on my own playthough and style, but i'd avoid dumping points into resistance, concentrate on strength, vitality and endurance. I beat the game and was only able to cast the weakest of fireballs, I never used it as such.

you're getting to the point where the game "clicked" for me, i was getting to grip with the combat etc, plus you aren't far from the first really challenging boss fight, If you still like it after that , you'll be in it for the long haul.

I spent a good old bit of time in the 'burg and parish, but a lot of that was grinding a few levels and getting better at combat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

don't grind too much, my first time i was ridiculously overpowered by the time I got to the end

80-100 hours for a first playthrough is not uncommon. there's a reason the re-release was called 'prepare to die' :)

also **** miracles, **** magic, **** pyromancy. melee for life.

Still never played a magic build bar my Level One Pyromancer

My first run took 56hrs before I got to what I now consider the halfway point, first beaten run took 74.

You'll spend ages in the first few levels, the Burg is far more challenging than say, New Londo Ruins for new players.

If you're playing it how you played Bloodborne you're gonna have a bad time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Magic is effective but boring as hell. I tried a mage build a long time back and got as far as the Forest before i got bored. Did a hybrid melee/mage build for my first Dark Souls 2 run, much more enjoyable

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm delighted to hear that I can melee my way to the end. I'm all about the metal on metal.

Over the past few months I've made unsuccessful attempts at DeS, DS, DS2 and Bloodborne. I just didn't 'get' them and gave up after a couple of hours. But I said I'd give it one last go and something has just clicked this time. I got that feeling with DS2 at one stage but then it just fizzled out. I know I've a long way to go, but I'm absolutely loving it so far. I got invaded last night and I almost pissed my pants when this mountain of black and red came running at me. There's so much to learn and I feel like I'm up for the challenge.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm delighted to hear that I can melee my way to the end. I'm all about the metal on metal.

Over the past few months I've made unsuccessful attempts at DeS, DS, DS2 and Bloodborne. I just didn't 'get' them and gave up after a couple of hours. But I said I'd give it one last go and something has just clicked this time. I got that feeling with DS2 at one stage but then it just fizzled out. I know I've a long way to go, but I'm absolutely loving it so far. I got invaded last night and I almost pissed my pants when this mountain of black and red came running at me. There's so much to learn and I feel like I'm up for the challenge.

keep posting in here, you'll get plenty of help and advice, its like everyone has been united through suffering!

Dark Souls 1 & 2 DLC for PS3 on sale. Artorias of the Abyss and the others €5 each

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

That offer is still up for someone to come round and show me how to play this game.

Got as far as the first boss in the undead burg but I know i've missed a load of stuff a long the way.

Thinking about starting again and using a different type of dude and gift.

Just start again Tom, no harm. What console are you on?

• Advertisement

That offer is still up for someone to come round and show me how to play this game.

Got as far as the first boss in the undead burg but I know i've missed a load of stuff a long the way.

Thinking about starting again and using a different type of dude and gift.

I'm coming toward the end of Undead Parish, which is the area after Undead Burg. I can't believe I'm saying this (considering my earlier attempts at this series), but I'm not finding it that difficult. Yes, it's challenging, of course it is, but it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it was the first time I tried (and failed) at it. It's going to get very difficult later on, but I'm hoping that I'll have upped my game enough to just keep it at very hard, not unplayable, which is what it felt like previously.

Take your time, learn your enemy's attack-pattern and wait for an opening. Keep your shield up. If there's no opening then you're not waiting long enough. Simple as that. Eventually he'll drop his guard and that's when you unleash hell into his torso. Rinse, repeat.

It's such a simple strategy, but it requires you to rewire your gaming brain and that makes it difficult. My natural reaction to an enemy in front of me is to shoot him in the face with a shotgun, only ducking for cover every now and then when the screen starts to turn red. That doesn't work here. If you give an enemy that much respect you'll be spending your time in front of the bonfire. Treat every single enemy like he could ruin an hour's hard work... because he can!

Also, use guides and walkthroughs, especially to learn about the various items. Otherwise the game's deeper mechanics are all but impenetrable. When I enter a new area I go as far as I can. I'll even do that a few times. But I'll never leave an area without referring to the Dark Souls Wiki. There's just too much important stuff that you could potentially miss out on. I don't usually refer to guides, but this game is just a different kind of animal. I just want to beat this game. I want to run my longsword through everything that moves in this world, and I'm happy to take any help I can get in order to bring that about.

Advertisement