Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Just start again Tom, no harm. What console are you on?

On the 360. Dont get much time to spend with it but the missus is off travelling for a week so hopefully I'll get a chance to crank some out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

On the 360. Dont get much time to spend with it but the missus is off travelling for a week so hopefully I'll get a chance to crank some out

:eek: are we still talking about dark souls? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

:eek: are we still talking about dark souls? :pac:

Easy tiger, easy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I've played about 6 hours so far and I'm really loving it. I've just reached the bonfire after the Undead Parish. Of course I have died a lot but I'm pleasantly surprised with my patience. I think it's because the gameplay doesn't screw you over.

Do you need to parry to make serious progress in the game? I find it difficult to get the timing right. Instead I just back off a bit when they start to attack and then go on for the kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I've played about 6 hours so far and I'm really loving it. I've just reached the bonfire after the Undead Parish. Of course I have died a lot but I'm pleasantly surprised with my patience. I think it's because the gameplay doesn't screw you over.

Do you need to parry to make serious progress in the game? I find it difficult to get the timing right. Instead I just back off a bit when they start to attack and then go on for the kill.

It's a lot easier to parry, and it's not overly difficult to get the parry timings down, but I'm terrible at parrying at cannot do so with great sucess and I've beaten the game several times. So no, you don't need to learn to parry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

finally got this for pc the sotfs version
    havnt played it since i completed it but my god theirs definitly a few things different regarding enemy placements and so on
    some areas seem like a mob style compared to the other version
    and then again some areas seem alot cleaner as in less enemys

anyhow i never played the dlc
    and i forget mostly everything so im looking forward to getting stuck into this :D
    60fps makes this game look well solid
    just wondering if anyone knows of a mod to make it look like it was suppose to be ? as in graphics wise?

edit: just relised i posted this in the wrong dark souls thread :D but even so if anyone has any idea of the graphics mod that would be great :L cheers!

Steam were VAC Banning anyone with Graphical Mods in the original, so I'd check up on SOTFS before I installed any

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Steam were VAC Banning anyone with Graphical Mods in the original, so I'd check up on SOTFS before I installed any

ya I seen that alright when I was checking for mods, few say undetected but I don't want to risk it.

Really thought this game would be fine to mod :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

The silver knights in anor londo by the bonfire are a great way to practice parrying.

Use the target shield and stand so close you're literally touching them, parry just as they start their attack.

I think the timings are different in DS2 because I can't parry anything in that game, although it's all about the poise in Two.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The silver knights in anor londo by the bonfire are a great way to practice parrying.

Use the target shield and stand so close you're literally touching them, parry just as they start their attack.

I think the timings are different in DS2 because I can't parry anything in that game, although it's all about the poise in Two.

Parrying is a lot easier in DS II if you get the right gear, I never went near it in the first game. Monastery Scimitar is the thing you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH, Now I remember why I never finished Demon Souls. Booted this up to give it a try afet picking it up along time ago but it just makes me want to fcuk the PC out the window..... Patience I suppose. It does suck you in though and then one silly mistake and bang...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Found a good few Dark Souls ringtones on zedge. Currently using Ornstein and smough. :)

Been quiet here for a while but said I'd let people know that smyths toys are selling dark souls 2 for xb1 and ps4 for a tenner at the moment

Been meaning to bump this for ages :)

Will pick up SOTFS, thanks for that :D

Playing a naked run of this at the minute, rings allowed but no armor, its actually fairly easy, getting one shotted by a few bosses but I'm used to that after the SL1 run. Demon Ruins is going to be awful though, and Blighttown was a nightmare, isnta-poison and toxic :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

i just started, using the sorcerer. what attrributes should i concentrate at leveling up first

i just started, using the sorcerer. what attrributes should i concentrate at leveling up first

Intelligence, Vitality, Endurance and Attunement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

http://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Magic+User+Guide

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Been quiet here for a while but said I'd let people know that smyths toys are selling dark souls 2 for xb1 and ps4 for a tenner at the moment

Christ I'll double dip at that price.

noodler wrote: »
    Christ I'll double dip at that price.

You're a bit late to the party but you might be lucky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Been at this now a week and whilst I have killed a good few bosses, I am kinda lost where to go next.

The enemies in some of the places I have completed are just too hard , perhaps its a case my skill level isn't up there yet but I feel under powered

So far I have killed the following bosses,

Asylum Demon
    Tauras Demon
    Bell Gargolyes
    Moonlight butterfly
    Capra Demon
    Quelegg
    Ceaseless Discharge
    Gaping Dragon

Option for places to go next

The catacombs
    Back to the undead aslyum
    Sens Fortress
    The area with the ghosts
    The great hollow(is there anything to prevent getting curses by those big eye creatures)

my character is pyromancer but I have focused on melee, my stats are or the ones I have focused on improving are

Level 48

Vitality 20
    Endurance 17
    Strength 32
    Dex 18

I got my strength up there because I got the black Knights Halberd and now I can 1 hand it, its also upgraded to plus 2.I have the knights shield and knights armour/gear

I have a good grasp of the game but would appreciate a nudge in the next direction will a little help

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Been at this now a week and whilst I have killed a good few bosses, I am kinda lost where to go next.

The enemies in some of the places I haven't completed are just too hard , perhaps its a case my skill level isn't up there yet but I feel under powered

So far I have killed the following bosses,

Asylum Demon
    Tauras Demon
    Bell Gargolyes
    Moonlight butterfly
    Capra Demon
    Quelegg
    Ceaseless Discharge
    Gaping Dragon

Option for places to go next

The catacombs
    Back to the undead aslyum
    Sens Fortress
    The area with the ghosts
    The great hollow(is there anything to prevent getting curses by those big eye creatures)

my character is pyromancer but I have focused on melee, my stats are or the ones I have focused on improving are

Level 48

Vitality 20
    Endurance 17
    Strength 32
    Dex 18

I got my strength up there because I got the black Knights Halberd and now I can 1 hand it, its also upgraded to plus 2.I have the knights shield and knights armour/gear

I have a good grasp of the game but would appreciate a nudge in the next direction will a little help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

go back to the undead asylum, then sens

also focus more on upgrading your weapons than levelling up, works out better damage wise the majority of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Starting playing this a few weeks ago. Now I'm 60 hours in, and facing the Four Kings.

I found the first few hours and the Undead Burg to be the hardest area of the game to be honest, that's probably because I hadn't a clue what I was doing - I didn't even know how to lock-on properly at that stage.

Some of the bosses have been really easy, like the Gaping Dragon, Sif and the Iron Golem.

Others have just been a complete pain.
    The Capra Demon took me hours to kill - probably about 20-30 tries. I thought I was going to lose my mind.
    Smough and Ornstein were really tough. I tried to beat them on my own about 5-6 times and couldn't even kill one of them. I then tried it with Solaire and got them on my second go. They aren't that bad once it's 1 on 1.

Now I'm on 4 Kings, and I think they are definitely the hardest so far.

I'm level 68, my stats are: Vitality 26, Attunement 12, Endurance 28, Strength 25, Dexterity 31, Resistance 12, Intelligence 10, Faith 8.

I am using a +14 Claymore and the Crimson Robe Set, with a Wolf Ring equipped as the armour has no poise.

I am 2-handing the Claymore and then switching to one-handed and the crest shield when I see their magic-attack on the way. Problem is I'm not doing enough damage quick enough, so eventually I am swarmed by at least 2 of the kings.

Any tips?

Starting playing this a few weeks ago. Now I'm 60 hours in, and facing the Four Kings.

I found the first few hours and the Undead Burg to be the hardest area of the game to be honest, that's probably because I hadn't a clue what I was doing - I didn't even know how to lock-on properly at that stage.

Some of the bosses have been really easy, like the Gaping Dragon, Sif and the Iron Golem.

The Capra Demon took me hours to kill - probably about 20-30 tries. I thought I was going to lose my mind.
    Smough and Ornstein were really tough. I tried to beat them on my own about 5-6 times and couldn't even kill one of them. I then tried it with Solaire and got them on my second go. They aren't that bad once it's 1 on 1.

I'm level 68, my stats are: Vitality 26, Attunement 12, Endurance 28, Strength 25, Dexterity 31, Resistance 12, Intelligence 10, Faith 8.

I am using a +14 Claymore and the Crimson Robe Set, with a Wolf Ring equipped as the armour has no poise.

I am 2-handing the Claymore and then switching to one-handed and the crest shield when I see their magic-attack on the way. Problem is I'm not doing enough damage quick enough, so eventually I am swarmed by at least 2 of the kings.

Any tips?

Been a while since I played it, but I think I straight up tanked the 4 kings, havels armour & ring, and waded in swinging like a lunatic, then revive between the arrival of each king. there is a shortcut to the abyss in case you arent aware, it involves rolling off a ledge from higher up and you'll land just in front of the mist door.

Been a while since I played it, but I think I straight up tanked the 4 kings, havels armour & ring, and waded in swinging like a lunatic, then revive between the arrival of each king. there is a shortcut to the abyss in case you arent aware, it involves rolling off a ledge from higher up and you'll land just in front of the mist door.

I wonder is it the same shortcut I'm using.

I'm running past the first two ghosts after the bridge and then rolling off to the right. I have to kill one Darkwraith and then run past two more to the fog door.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Any tips?

Welcome to the game of the century (and a new addiction) dude! From earlier in the thread (May) here's what I said:

Four kings done last night on first go - Havel's armour and fire resin on my claymore, pretty intense. Then got my arse handed to me repeatedly by the Stray demon.

Tanking (like Stone said) with the fire resin and Havel's combined didnt even let them survive to the magic attacks IIRC. Strangely I found them easy whereas I had loads of problems with Sif etc. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

If you haven't touched Pyromancy, you should. All the investment you need is souls to level the Pyro Flame and that's it (no stats required). If you aren't a Pyro class you should be able to get the flame from Laurentius (the guy you rescued from the Depths) when he arrives at Firelink Shrine. Beef up the flame and equip combustions for the 4 Kings fight.

Make sure to kindle the bonfire you are using before you fight them as you have as much Estus as possible, be liberal when using it in the fight and chug away. Also make sure you are giving the Firekeeper souls to Anastasia under the Firelink Shine to boost your Estus power.

In regards armor, maybe people suggest Havels as it absorbs a ton of Dark/Magic damage. If you're ok at dodging though, any type of medium/light armor can do really. Make sure to use the Crown of Dusk headpiece to output more Pyro damage. (Google how to get it if you haven't got it yet)

Cravez wrote: »
    If you haven't touched Pyromancy, you should. All the investment you need is souls to level the Pyro Flame and that's it (no stats required). If you aren't a Pyro class you should be able to get the flame from Laurentius (the guy you rescued from the Depths) when he arrives at Firelink Shrine. Beef up the flame and equip combustions for the 4 Kings fight.

Make sure to kindle the bonfire you are using before you fight them as you have as much Estus as possible, be liberal when using it in the fight and chug away. Also make sure you are giving the Firekeeper souls to Anastasia under the Firelink Shine to boost your Estus power.

In regards armor, maybe people suggest Havels as it absorbs a ton of Dark/Magic damage. If you're ok at dodging though, any type of medium/light armor can do really. Make sure to use the Crown of Dusk headpiece to output more Pyro damage. (Google how to get it if you haven't got it yet)

Thanks for all the tips people!

I am Pyro class but don't use it much.
    Laurentius has now gone from Firelink Shrine so I'm not sure if I am able to upgrade by Pyro glove or buy other pyromancies right now.

sweetie wrote: »
    Welcome to the game of the century (and a new addiction) dude! From earlier in the thread (May) here's what I said:

Four kings done last night on first go - Havel's armour and fire resin on my claymore, pretty intense. Then got my arse handed to me repeatedly by the Stray demon.

Tanking (like Stone said) with the fire resin and Havel's combined didnt even let them survive to the magic attacks IIRC. Strangely I found them easy whereas I had loads of problems with Sif etc. Good luck.

Thanks!

I've already had my ass handed to me repeatedly by the Stray Demon. He's one I have to go back again to beat.

• Advertisement

I wonder is it the same shortcut I'm using.

I'm running past the first two ghosts after the bridge and then rolling off to the right. I have to kill one Darkwraith and then run past two more to the fog door.

Advertisement