Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

strelok wrote: »

you know how to check your weapons and equipments stat requirements yeah?

oh, and im sure this will make you feel better, taurus is the first boss. no one counts the asylum demon :p

I'm currently using and axe and a sword as its so much fun but have used the shield previously.
    I haven't paid too much attention to the stats yet but will now.
    And I count the asylum demon!!!!!

Thanks for the other info too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

I'm currently using and axe and a sword as its so much fun but have used the shield previously.
    I haven't paid too much attention to the stats yet but will now.
    And I count the asylum demon!!!!!

Thanks for the other info too

as you upgrade your weapons, the stat scaling can change. so a sword that's E scaling for strength at +1 can become +B strength scaling by level 15. so even if you didn't level up strength all game by the time the weapon was +15 your strength would be adding even more damage power to it (on top of the general damage increase it gets from being upgraded). It's not very intuitive, the game kind of is designed to be played several times, learning a bit more about it each time.

oh, one tip actually. prioritise upgrading your weapons, not levelling up. dark souls isn't like most other rpg-like games, it's your equipment that matters the most not your stats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Started Dark Souls 2 , its not a patch on Dark Souls 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Nah it really isn't and you feel the shortcomings of development through the murky texture design and questionable linearity but it is still great fun and the multiplayer is a lot better.

tying iframes while rolling to a stat was such a horrible horrible decision.

• Advertisement

Just finished the Taurus deamon by climbing the ladder and jump off ledge stabbing him a few times.

Seriously though heart in mouth as I was at my last bit of energy as I hit him with an axe to the ankle! Lol

Seriously some buzz when you kill the bosses.

I spoke to soon, my laptop just froze! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Can't believe it.

Thankfully didn't have to do the boss again but then died before a new bonfire. Ugh.

Just finished the Taurus deamon by climbing the ladder and jump off ledge stabbing him a few times.

Seriously though heart in mouth as I was at my last bit of energy as I hit him with an axe to the ankle! Lol

Seriously some buzz when you kill the bosses.

I spoke to soon, my laptop just froze! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Can't believe it. Have to it again!

the game saves itself all the time, you won't have to fight the boss again and your souls will be in the area you were when the game crashed (or when the game saved a short while before that)

strelok wrote: »
    the game saves itself all the time, you won't have to fight the boss again and your souls will be in the area you were when the game crashed (or when the game saved a short while before that)

Sorry yeah just updated. Big dragon just burnt me alive though.

Need to find a bonfire !

Edit managed to get past him and low and behold a bonfire.

Wipes sweat from head. And relax.

Sorry yeah just updated. Big dragon just burnt me alive though.

Need to find a bonfire !

Edit managed to get past him and low and behold a bonfire.

Wipes sweat from head. And relax.

little hint here

be sure and have a good look around under the bridge where the dragon was. one of the doorways there has a handy little shortcut. closer to the stairs you use to go under the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Lads bit new to the dark souls games and bought and completed dark souls II, really great game. So should I buy Bloodborne now or try to get Dark Souls I (Is it available for ps4?).

Still have the ps3 for Dark souls I if required:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Dark Souls isn't on PS4

If you've a PS3, Dark Souls, if not, Bloodborne.

Both fantastic games, and a step up from Dark Souls 2

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sadesh

Awesome Video and i am wating for the app link

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sadesh

Awesome Video and i am waiting for the app link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I got dark souls 2 SOTFS for my ps4 and I cant seem to enjoy it at all. the combat system is so dull and clunky. all big mobs like the giant knights at heides tower are crap hard to kill without losing alot of health. their reach is crazy and the roll dodge isnt as evasive as one would hope. Can these be parried with a shield or something to make them alot easier? all attempts so far result in them smiting my face up the nether of my arse :mad:

So yeah the fight consists of dancing around for ages and going for a poke and then roll away, miracle if i dont get hit and takes bloomin ages :(

I think playing bloodborne and the perfectness of that game ruined my expectations of this game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Evade

Counter-clockwise circling makes the attacks of the sword and shield and greatsword knights miss. When they finish their combo hit them in the back, preferably with a mace.

The two greatclub knights are a little trickier. You have to bait the over head attack close in once it lands and hit then back out of range. Or use a ranged attack

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Wailin wrote: »
    Lads bit new to the dark souls games and bought and completed dark souls II, really great game. So should I buy Bloodborne now or try to get Dark Souls I (Is it available for ps4?).

Still have the ps3 for Dark souls I if required:)

Get Demon's Souls(PS3) - best Souls game by a mile, imo.

F1ngers wrote: »

No its not

No its not

This little snippet means its his opinion, evidently yours is different

Dark Souls one would be my pick of the bunch, with Bloodborne probably being my least favourite. I'd rate it higher than Dark 2 in a technical sense, I didn't like it as much though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Have to disagree. Bloodborne and Dark Souls are better than Demon Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

The bumping of this thread always reminds me of my failure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

nix wrote: »
    I got dark souls 2 SOTFS for my ps4 and I cant seem to enjoy it at all. the combat system is so dull and clunky. all big mobs like the giant knights at heides tower are crap hard to kill without losing alot of health. their reach is crazy and the roll dodge isnt as evasive as one would hope. Can these be parried with a shield or something to make them alot easier? all attempts so far result in them smiting my face up the nether of my arse :mad:

So yeah the fight consists of dancing around for ages and going for a poke and then roll away, miracle if i dont get hit and takes bloomin ages :(

I think playing bloodborne and the perfectness of that game ruined my expectations of this game :(
    DS2 has a good few enemies that the developers have tried to make tricky but end up annoying. The giant knights are a good example for the reasons you've stated.

Dark souls looks like the sequel to Dark souls 2 , its that much superior. What I dont like about DS 2 is that the graphics make all the areas look the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

nix wrote: »

If you're coming from Bloodborne you'll have the wrong idea about the Souls games. First of all, combat is SLOW. You need to draw out enemies one at a time and retreat when needed. Secondly, the game is far more defence oriented than BB, you need to learn to avoid easy opportunities to hit someone if it means you're vulnerable to getting hit back.
    Bloodborne is also a fair bit easier than DS games, imo.

Bait the knights into attacking, roll away, nip in and catch them while they're stuck in the attack animation.
    You can't parry their attacks, you can block them, but you really shouldn't be standing in front of them when they're swinging their swords.

One you learn the pace of the game, it becomes a lot easier. You will die so many times at the start though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Dark souls 2 was my first introduction to this franchise and what a game! Over 100hrs of my life gone like that! Seems to get a lot of negative comments here from Demon Souls/Dark Souls veterans and for the life of me I cannot understand why. So I went and got my hands on Dark Souls for ps3 and its just as good. I am 20hrs in at level 38 and rang the 2nd bell to open Sens Fortress. Long way to go yet.

Question for the experts: At this stage it's taking roughly 10000 souls now to upgrade attributes. Do you concentrate on upgrading weapons and magic more than character?

Wailin wrote: »
    Dark souls 2 was my first introduction to this franchise and what a game! Over 100hrs of my life gone like that! Seems to get a lot of negative comments here from Demon Souls/Dark Souls veterans and for the life of me I cannot understand why. So I went and got my hands on Dark Souls for ps3 and its just as good. I am 20hrs in at level 38 and rang the 2nd bell to open Sens Fortress. Long way to go yet.

Question for the experts: At this stage it's taking roughly 10000 souls now to upgrade attributes. Do you concentrate on upgrading weapons and magic more than character?

Weapons definitely, it's easier to fight at level 20 with a +15 weapon than at level 70 with a base weapon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

ya definitely get a good weapon upgraded. if you are after ringing second bell, you are not far from a blacksmith that can make 'boss weapons' , you could also look up where you can find the amber for the +15 weapons. only thing i will say is spend the large titanite slabs (long time since i played ) carefully, as i think they are limited per play through. I up graded a few stupid weapons fully :o

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Interesting, entertaining and sometimes funny. Noob plays DS, 4 kings epsiode is good.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/03/16/prepare-to-try-ign-noob-takes-on-dark-souls?watch?watch

• Registered Users Posts: 29,831 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Watched a couple of them, always rooting for the main guy playing and his love for Solaire (has to wear a Solaire hoody before entering a boss room). Good episode today when he reached the end of Solaire's journey :(

Question: During my first build I levelled my strength up to level 35 so I could one hand the black knight halberd would I be better off not putting stats into strength and just level up weapons I can hold and more normal strength levels next time round?

• Advertisement

Question: During my first build I levelled my strength up to level 35 so I could one hand the black knight halberd would I be better off not putting stats into strength and just level up weapons I can hold and more normal strength levels next time round?

Depends what weapons you want to use, if you go dex you want like 12-14 Str for the Uchigatana or Balder Side Sword

But yeah one handing a halberd is generally a crappy idea in general I would think

Advertisement