Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Yeah I'll probably leave it for a while. My sword is powerful enough at the moment anyway. I have quite a few END points anyway so I'm not too bad in that regard. Trying for a bit of an all rounder, really. Magic becomes really useful though - desperate for my third spell slot at this stage!

Where does one get their hands on lightning ember?

You don't need a lightning ember, the blacksmith in Anor Londo can make lightning by default!!

You could grab the lightning spear from Sens Fortress and upgrade that or if you want something a bit meatier with your strength you could make a lightning claymore. I use it myself and highly recommend it, its the fastest greatsword and can be used nicely with a shield or without. Has a nice AoE cone of attack and it's R2 is a lunging pierce attack with good range. At +5 it puts out over 600 damage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Its about 3:30am, just afta beating Dark Souls about 1 hour ago and im sitting here reading about plotline speculation and piecing together of the story and listening to the OST

WHEN WILL YOU RELEASE YOUR GRIP ON ME DARK SOULS!!! LET ME SLEEP YOU ACCURSED GAME!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

Wow, this thread is on fire!

How about creating a Dark Souls forum and then there could be threads for the various parts of the game? It's hard for anyone who's at the start to find posts about their own areas when it's so huge.

Just an idea!

Great game. Really tough :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I got this game on Monday from Amazon but I can't play it because my telly is still in storage after a house move and it'll be another week or so before I get it out :mad:

I have developed a love for the Zweihander, which I've brought up to +3. I've been using it with a shield. Recently I didn't have the shield equipped and my character was holding the sword differently, adding around 60-70 extra hit points. However I can't figure out how i did that. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have developed a love for the Zweihander, which I've brought up to +3. I've been using it with a shield. Recently I didn't have the shield equipped and my character was holding the sword differently, adding around 60-70 extra hit points. However I can't figure out how i did that. Any ideas?

You want to change to two handed?
    Triangle or whatever is the equivalent button is on xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Triangle or the equivalent on the box controller makes you hold it 2 handed and it does more damage and has different attacks.

After farting around for ages, decided i'd do blight town last night, f'in hell the fps drops are pretty bad, the last thing you need on the rickety bridges. Loving my brand spanking new uchi.

tuxy wrote: »

You want to change to two handed?
    Triangle or whatever is the equivalent button is on xbox

Y. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

You can wield weapons 2 handed by pressing triangle / Y. Makes you more fragile (no shield block) but gives a nice boost to damage output.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And can be very useful when you need to burst a boss down quickly (i'm looking at you 4 Kings!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Yeah generally when you face a boss that can slap you silly with an attack with your shield equipped, better off 2 handing the weapon as the shield's redundant. Same goes for bosses who are slow and are easy to out maneuver.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

On PS3 you probably pressed the triangle button, corresponding button for 360 is the y button.

, f'in hell the fps drops are pretty bad, the last thing you need on the rickety bridges. Loving my brand spanking new uchi.

Yep same here, when you're in that area fps is very bad. Then if the bluray happen to spin up on top of that all you can do is pray there are no monsters near you. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Yeah generally when you face a boss that can slap you silly with an attack with your shield equipped, better off 2 handing the weapon as the shield's redundant. Same goes for bosses who are slow and are easy to out maneuver.

Definitely a good tactic for the Stray Demon, pointless having your shield equiped for him to be honest.

Side note: He is a f*ck to kill, well at least I found him tough anyway. Definitely the toughest boss so far for me.

Oh and just did the exact same thing as you last night Capaill, killed the merchant for the Uchi, going to just level that now and hit Blighttown! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

was in the swamp area of blight town doing a bit a slug farming when a character runs up and attacks me, he wasn't a monster/ enemy, looked like a golden knight and he came from nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

tonydude wrote: »
    was in the swamp area of blight town doing a bit a slug farming when a character runs up and attacks me, he wasn't a monster/ enemy, looked like a golden knight and he came from nowhere

Hmm. Did you get a warning saying that a phantom had invaded your world? If not he could have been in the Blade of the Darkmoon as when they invade another world the other player doesnt get a warning. But if he was golden in colour that would mean he would have to be in the Warriors of Sunlight covenant. Hmm. Hmm indeed.

If you havent already, you should go to the Undead Asylum again to get the ring that helps you walk through swamplands easier if you intend to do some farming of the slugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I got a message saying something like "Gravelord defeated, no more disasters" the other night. Anyone know what thats about?

Checked the wiki and it didn't have much about "Gravelords", something about changing the difficulty of the game when you invade....

penev10 wrote: »
    I got a message saying something like "Gravelord defeated, no more disasters" the other night. Anyone know what thats about?

Checked the wiki and it didn't have much about "Gravelords", something about changing the difficulty of the game when you invade....

The Gravelord Covenant gives people the ability to drop a sign in their world, which sends a sign to 3 random worlds, spawning tough enemies. If the person in one of those 3 worlds manages to find the sign, he can invade the Gravelord's world. That's what happened there. Gravelord got invaded back, and killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Any Sorc's playing?

Im interesting to see what your stats look like and if its working for you. I seem to be doing more melee than Magic these days. Still only about 20 hours in though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Any Sorc's playing?

Im interesting to see what your stats look like and if its working for you. I seem to be doing more melee than Magic these days. Still only about 20 hours in though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Any Sorc's playing?

I'm using a Pyro going for magic-ish build. Not easy early on for magic users. I'm about 20 hours in myself.

You need to get underneath Undead Burg asap to release the apprentice magician so you can get some decent spells. The Int stat is useless until then.

I've resorted to upgrading my weapons and armour for melee rather than wasting points levelling up Strength etc.

I'm something like SL25

VIT 18
    ATU 12
    END 19
    STR 13
    DEX 10
    RES 10
    INT 17
    FAI 8

Hmm. Did you get a warning saying that a phantom had invaded your world? If not he could have been in the Blade of the Darkmoon as when they invade another world the other player doesnt get a warning. But if he was golden in colour that would mean he would have to be in the Warriors of Sunlight covenant. Hmm. Hmm indeed.

If you havent already, you should go to the Undead Asylum again to get the ring that helps you walk through swamplands easier if you intend to do some farming of the slugs

well he was running fast in the water and he got poisoned, when i killed him nothing major happened. How do i get back to the undead asylum ??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

How do i get back to the undead asylum ??

The shortcut elevator from Fire shrine to the undead parish.
    On the way up the lift there is a ledge to jump onto, from that ledge roll onto a pillar and make your way up to the crow.
    Lie down in his nest and off you go.
    Snuggly is down and to your left - likes gifts and gives stuff back.

EDIT: On your way up to the crow there is a key you need for when you get back to the asylum - collect it first.

There's a nice surprise in the asylum too - not tellin' tho...:P

snuggly , is he the funny looking head where the water was, hes asleep at the mo with me

Ok guys ive touched on this already but I feel its very important as its forcing me to restart a new character rather then continue into NG+ and hopefully might stop some of you doing the same thing and feeling dissapointed.

After some digging it seems DEX character have the very same issue.

Right now STR + DEX are pretty worthless stats when upgraded. Fully upgraded lightning weapons do more damage than anything else in the game bar the biggest of the strength weapons which take 50+ strength too use and even then the damage upgrade is minimal.

I have put 40 points into STR currently and have fully upgraded the best strength scaling weapons in the game that are available and my lightning claymore still out damages them all. This is just bad game mechanics whatever way you look at it. Someone has also confirmed that DEX is even worse, as at least with STR you can equip some of the bigger shields etc.

Rumours are suggesting From Soft are working on a patch but its not known if this is going to be addressed or not. It would be an easy fix they just need to make more weapons available that scale A or S with strength and dex. Ideally they should have put in weapon upgrade paths like Crushing and Sharp from Demon's Souls but I doubt they can do that now.

So it's just a warning for anyone currently going down this road, it's hard to call what to do that's up to yourself. But right now I recommend if you are going full melee concentrate your stats on END + VIT and pick up a lightning weapon instead of wasting points until its fixed.

snuggly , is he the funny looking head where the water was, hes asleep at the mo with me

Snuggly is the crows nest at the end of the Undead Asylum (Tutorial Area). Hes on a ledge right before where the giant crow carried you away.

The sleeping serpent is Framp and King Seeker or something like that, just hit him to wake him up he wont get mad!! :pac:

fck sake i put the controller down for 2 secs and got attacked and died twice , i lost 160k souls ahhhhhhhhhhhh an hour of farming to waste

Thanks for the heads up. Currently I have 20 str and 26 dex. Have I wasted many points? What is the requirements to use these lightning weapons you are talking about?

tuxy wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up. Currently I have 20 str and 26 dex. Have I wasted many points? What is the requirements to use these lightning weapons you are talking about?

Unless they change the stat scaling mate then they would have been better invested elsewhere unfortunately. Not the end of the world though at least you will have the requirements to use most weapons and DEX will give you decent damage with the better bows in the game, for now however I would recommend increasing END + VIT for melee if you are staying melee or perhaps look into FAI for miracles.

Lightning weapons only need the basic weapon required stats. So for example a standard Claymore requires 16 STR and 10 DEX to use so that is all you need for the lightning version also.

When you upgrade it to a lightning weapon it adds lightning as elemental damage but it doesent scale with strength or dexterity for damage.

I hate giving advice on how to level a character as obviously you should always go with what you feel but as I said I just dont want people ending up in the situation im in and having to restart.

• Advertisement

Bah! I got my strength to 36 last night, rather than improving my Vit/End. Pretty stupid mechanics tbh. Hope they fix it.

Advertisement