Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Got 3 in the end cause they didn't have 1, can't get by the first boss lol he turns into some big demon and kills me. Will try again later!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Return to Lordran is on October 4th too so if anyone wants to get back into it for 3 weeks to have lots of invasions and summonings that's the day to do it!

Must remember to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

IvoryTower wrote:
    Got 3 in the end cause they didn't have 1, can't get by the first boss lol he turns into some big demon and kills me. Will try again later!

Keep trying, learn his moveset and soon he'll fall to you!

sweetie wrote: »
    Keep trying, learn his moveset and soon he'll fall to you!

Agreed, it's more of a tutorial of whats to come, look at what he's doing and why he's able to hurt you, then look at your limitations like stamina, number of hits you can make with enough left to evade whats coming back at you. Once you get a grip on those elements it's possible to end that fight very quickly with zero damage to you.

It's a fight well worth failing a few times so this is drilled into a new player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Ended up inadvertently playing Super Advanced Dark Souls last night. :D

First challenge, I'm in
    Blightown trying to get from the first bonfire halfway down to the next one down, dealing with poison and crappy framerate

Second challenge - missus is giving out to me to finish up playing so I'm on the clock.

Third challenge - my f**king controller batteries died. A very quick swap later and I'm back in action and thankfully they died when I wasn't in battle. New batteries are low but I hope they hold out. Then they died. I frantically take out the TV remote batteries and swap them in while seeing 2 of those flies with poison coming for me. Batteries in but I'm too late and they kill me. :D

Also a view on Dark Souls from a non-gamer (the aforementioned missus, more dangerous than any enemy I've yet encountered in DS). She thinks it's ridiculous that you cannot pause the game and that it has my full attention when I'm playing it. She also reckons that the game sounds like one designed for 18 years that still live with their mammies and have nothing better to be doing. Harsh! :D

I defended Dark Souls with numerous memes.

62833fdc74870e77ce070310ac6eccfd061f0eb4389f8d0f559d60b70adf5820.jpg

• Advertisement

I think I'm beginning to out-grow the Drake Sword. I'm aiming towards a STR build and am considering either the Zweihander or Black Knight Great Sword, both of which I have.

Which would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Zwei of the two. BKGS is slow and can't be buffed. And requires huge stat investment.

Zwei+15 and Sunlight Blade or crystal magic weapon etc will tear stuff apart

Thanks. From googling it does seem like a great piece of kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Well Blighttown is ****.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Well Blighttown is ****.:(

How far are you gone? You'll need to stock up on moss from the fell under the bridge to undead burg, it heals poison. The initial run through is the most difficult as you have to deal with the poison dart enemies.

• Advertisement

How far are you gone? You'll need to stock up on moss from the fell under the bridge to undead burg, it heals poison. The initial run through is the most difficult as you have to deal with the poison dart enemies.

I did bring moss thankfully. I got up to killing the big insect looking thing that was making out with the hole in the wall. Its the confusing layout and all the ladders which have been the worst about it so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People that complain about blight town have never gone through the hell of the valley of defilement.

The glorious master key letting you never see that part of blighttown.

Literally never choose any gift but the key

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

The glorious master key letting you never see that part of blighttown..
    I went into the game blind and spent a long time trying to climb up from the bottom because I chose the key.

Evade wrote: »
    I went into the game blind and spent a long time trying to climb up from the bottom because I chose the key.

And then got to the top and found a locked door you couldn't open? I know that feel!

The glorious master key letting you never see that part of blighttown.

Literally never choose any gift but the key

Worth dipping in the top end surely for the Laito then heading back around :confused:

I think getting through blighttown was the turning point for me, when I really felt i was up to the challenge and it all sort of clicked.

Keza Mc Donald wrote a great review of the first game, which sums up a lot of what makes the game great, worth a read if ou have 5 minutes to spare.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2011/09/30/dark-souls-review?page=1

I'm at the bottom of Blightown now, my next challenge could be tough, came from The Depths even though I have the Master Key. I sort of regret that as my item, I don't really want to skip anything. It did allow me to get to and kill
    Havel The Rock
    early enough for the ring.

My biggest regret though is not playing this game sooner, it's just so rewarding and satisfying. People owe it to themselves to pick one of the Bloodbourne/Souls games up and give it a go if they haven't already.

What are the chances of a remaster of Demon Souls? Last gen I just had a 360 so missed out on it. Have picked up the Uncharted Collection and Last of Us or my PS4, would love some Demon Souls.

My biggest regret though is not playing this game sooner, it's just so rewarding and satisfying. People owe it to themselves to pick one of the Bloodbourne/Souls games up and give it a go if they haven't already.

Thats exactly how I felt once I got into it. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What are the chances of a remaster of Demon Souls? Last gen I just had a 360 so missed out on it. Have picked up the Uncharted Collection and Last of Us or my PS4, would love some Demon Souls.

You could always be mad and pick up a cheap PS3 on Adverts, then play the game that way. I'd say a Dark Souls remaster is more likely.
    or...
    CEX Ps3 for €80
    CEX Demon's Souls for €25

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You could always be mad and pick up a cheap PS3 on Adverts, then play the game that way. I'd say a Dark Souls remaster is more likely.
    or...
    CEX Ps3 for €80
    CEX Demon's Souls for €25

Don't be fecking tempting me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

Don't be fecking tempting me! :D
    Don't. I love the game but it hasn't aged very well, especially if you're going back from Dark Souls 1/2/3.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I tend to disagree. I replayed it there recently and yes it may seem it hasn't aged well but it was the initial game on older tech. Keeping both of those facts in mind it was interesting to see it trace back concepts from the later games to this. Hating the white\dark stuff for locking up different areas but it was cool to go back to the beginning again.

Don't be fecking tempting me!

If your ever in Dublin you're welcome to grab my ps3 for a few weeks to play through it. Doesn't get used much these days. DeS was one of the last games I played on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It has aged pretty badly imo, still more than playable though.

That being said I think Dark Souls handles better than Dark Souls 3

Evade wrote:
    Don't. I love the game but it hasn't aged very well, especially if you're going back from Dark Souls 1/2/3.

I played it last year and loved it. Looks similar enough to DS1

Had my first invasion while in Blighttowns swamp. Ran up onto the bridge by the water wheel to keep them in front of me so I could block with my shield. Managed to block a few blows and land a few hits. Also helped that they missed with their heavy attacks. They had some massive guillotine blade sword that had a really slow heavy attack which probably saved me. They fell off the bridge and I jumped down to finish them off. Handy 9000 souls for that and a level gained. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Maneater Mildred?

Maneater Mildred?

That sounds right. Was that you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a NPC invasion so scripted by the game.

Advertisement