Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If it was me I'd be butt naked flipping around with a katana trying to parry you with a bare fist.

NPC, she's well handy against the next boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Haha feel like a fool now.:o Never knew NPCs could invade. Probably would have been destroyed against a realplayer.
    Was going to take a pop at the next boss next time I play though so thats good to know she can be summoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Haha feel like a fool now.:o Never knew NPCs could invade. Probably would have been destroyed against a realplayer.
    Was going to take a pop at the next boss next time I play though so thats good to know she can be summoned.

Different ball game against humans, lot of unwritten rules

1: Always bow before you fight, then when they bow you run over and stab them in the face
    2: If they try to weapon buff, switch to a crossbow and shoot them in the face
    3: Don't heal during a fight, just try to not suck at Dark Souls instead
    4: If you see a red soapstone, summon 2 white phantoms to help you, then summon the red phantom.
    5: If you lose, call the guy who killed you a scrub and say he only won because he uses cheap weapons EVERY TIME

You forgot the most important rule of all.

Armor stats mean nothing, it'll all about how it looks. Wear the prettiest armour you can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Last night I decided I needed to ditch my Drake Sword. I quickly upgraded the Zweihander to +9. What a beast of a thing! Much slower than the Drake Sword so need to adjust my playing style but the reach and power is immense, I'm at about STR 30 and DEX 22.

My next main story area is
    Sen's Fortress
    but I might detour to
    Hydra in Darkroot Basin
    and into
    the forest in Darkroot Garden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Last night I decided I needed to ditch my Drake Sword. I quickly upgraded the Zweihander to +9. What a beast of a thing! Much slower than the Drake Sword so need to adjust my playing style but the reach and power is immense, I'm at about STR 30 and DEX 22.

My next main story area is
    Sen's Fortress
    but I might detour to
    Hydra in Darkroot Basin
    and into
    the forest in Darkroot Garden

a tip based on my own mistakes - when you get a weapon you feel like you'll like, weigh up the amount of levelling you'll need to do before you can use it, and compare how it scales with your current stats. I foolishly spent a ton of souls upping my strenght to be able to use the giants club after seeign someone on youtube wrecking shop with it, only to find that I hated its moveset afterwards.

Been stuck on Quelaag for nearly a week now. Worst thing is on my first attempt I got her health down so far I had only one hit to kill her but left myself open trying to hit her and paid the price. Been beaten multiple times since but never got as close.

Think I need a break from the game for a week or two and come back fresh and hopefully down her.

Are you soloing or using a summon? I can give you a hand at some stage if you want, what's your SL?

Are you soloing or using a summon? I can give you a hand at some stage if you want, what's your SL?

Tried summoning and solo. I've done a bit better with Mildred but the last time I used her she was pretty useless. Used up nearly all my humanities so I'll need to grind for some more. My SL is 40. Is that roughly the SL I need to be at?

I use her pretty much exclusively, she beat Queelag pretty much Solo on my SL1 run, I just tried to draw fire and lead Queelag places where she wouldn't trap Mildred.

40 seems pretty reasonable for where you are tbh, what's your damage output like? Mildred should be taking off a large tick (the full rectangles) with one hit, if you're taking off two or three of the smaller ones you should be okay.

I'll be playing tonight for a while if you want help. Just PM me on steam.

The depths is the best place to farm humanity where you are, go from the bonfire down the steps, long way to the boss and kill the 10 rats you meet, Darksign and repeat

• Advertisement

another nice qwertee up tonight..... must resist :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

another nice qwertee up tonight..... must resist :rolleyes:

Where is it? Unless you mean the Black Knight T-Shirt? That's not a Dark Souls reference

About Queelag,
    I found it best to get in fairly close and shield up. That way I'm close but her swipes do little or no damage, there is a nice area about 2 or 3 strides from her. Keep circling her in order to get her to spit out or stream lava. Then get in to the side or behind her and attack.

Be careful as the short spit offers a much shorter window of attack than the
    longer stream. Also i found its very important not to get too greedy and try to get too many hits in at one time.
    Use the large room too. If the part you are in is getting busy with lava lure her to a different part.

Oh and equip your best fire defence armour and shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

i found its very important not to get too greedy and try to many hit at one time.

Probably the best piece of dark souls advice right there. The impulse to flail in recklessly when the boss is almost dead is incredibly hard to overcome, I've had countless deaths that way :(

Its definitely part of what makes overcoming a hard boss all the more rewarding though.

Where is it? Unless you mean the Black Knight T-Shirt? That's not a Dark Souls reference

Yeah I should have gone to specsavers :o

That feeling when I finally beat Quelaag.

Granted I still needed a lot of help from Mildred. Still it was hard trying to manage Quelaag and stopping Mildred from killing herself by walking through the lava. Still its done now and I can move on.

So can anyone recommend where I should be looking to go next? There seems to be a few areas I can go now.

That feeling when I finally beat Quelaag.

Granted I still needed a lot of help from Mildred. Still it was hard trying to manage Quelaag and stopping Mildred from killing herself by walking through the lava. Still its done now and I can move on.

So can anyone recommend where I should be looking to go next? There seems to be a few areas I can go now.

Sens funhouse maybe?

Sens funhouse maybe?

I take it thats the big gate that was opened by the parish?

Thats the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Good luck with that

• Advertisement

I've been dodging that one for a while, explored the basin and onto Sif next.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's worth waiting until after the DLC to take on Sif... trust me.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's worth waiting until after the DLC to take on Sif... trust me.

Ssssssh

Head to Sens Super Funhouse and learn to parry you'll be fine

Will take your word on Sif.

Off to the fun house then, I'm sure it's plenty of fun! ;-)

With or without DLC I've always left sif alone until much later for some reason, likely just habit from my path through the game and no real reason as such.

Those f**king boulders.

That is all

Those f**king boulders.

That is all

Get naked, you run faster

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Lukeskyrunner

I tried starting a game of dark souls last night and when the screen loaded it said the file was corrupted and I needed to manually delete the file, what the hell do I do . I tried deleting the data the game data utility folder but im still getting the same message. I accept that my saved data is gone but I cant even start a new game

I tried starting a game of dark souls last night and when the screen loaded it said the file was corrupted and I needed to manually delete the file, what the hell do I do . I tried deleting the data the game data utility folder but im still getting the same message. I accept that my saved data is gone but I cant even start a new game

The save file is saved in Documents/NGBI/Dark Souls

If you delete the file there, then Steam will redownload the save on their server. I prefer to rename them, rename the file in Documents to wxyz.txt or something to corrupt it and launch Dark Souls, and check the folder to see if the original is back, if it is, and it's still corrupted you've to jump a few hoops to delete the Steam Cloud version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

I'm currently running through my first playthrough of Dark Souls (I'm really loving it but it's super challenging) and I'm in the Depths right now just trying to figure stuff out. However I've one or two questions about how I've been playing at this stage.

Should I be playing in online mode pretty much all the time?

Should I be trying to play through the majority of the game as a human? I am awful and die fairly often, so I've been avoiding being human as it just felt like a waste to me, but I'm not sure does that mean I'm missing a lot of content then.

Thanks!

Advertisement