Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Play whatever way you prefer.

Online will have very few people so While you won't be able to summon as much you also won't be invaded as much.

I don't think you miss anything ( am open to correction) except being invaded. In my first play through I was human very rarely too. I'd hold off until your second (or third) play through.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Icaras wrote:
    Online will have very few people so While you won't be able to summon as much you also won't be invaded as much.

I got invaded while on my way to defeat the bell gargoyles (I was just seeing how being human worked out for me) and that peed me off see much I either play in offline mode or just stay hollowed. Is it just souls I stand to lose? Invaders can't take anything else from me?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

CliCliW wrote: »
    Icaras wrote:

I got invaded while on my way to defeat the bell gargoyles (I was just seeing how being human worked out for me) and that peed me off see much I either play in offline mode or just stay hollowed. Is it just souls I stand to lose? Invaders can't take anything else from me?
    You loose your humanity and souls (but can pick up your souls again), there are some npc invaders so if you are offline and human you may get invaded by them, they usually the drop pretty interesting stuff, I cant remember if any of them actually progress or have a part in the overall story.

Also stacking your humanity makes you more powerful, I cant remember how to be honest, but its a huge kick in the nuts when you loose 10 humanity from dropping off a ledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Humanity boosts your item discovery and damage with chaos weapons.

I'd play online just so that I've the option of summoning for bosses if needed. Once you hit level 30 or so you should be safe from most twinks invading. You can only be invaded while human, you miss out on all the notes offline too.

Humanity needs to be in the counter by your health, humanity in your inventory does nothing, and you can pick up humanity again with your blood stain. I'd play hollow with whatever humanity I have, don't bother staying human or monitoring your humanity until you need it for something.

Anyone playing this ATM?

Looking for some new challenge runs that I'm good enough to attempt.

Also looking to get into speedrunning this for a con next year, has anyone else here tried speedrunning Dark Souls?

• Advertisement

Got through to NG+ but stopped shortly after in favour of new games. I have full intentions of going back to it and doing NG+ before trying Demons souls and Dark Souls 2.

As for challenges idrk, YouTube has a decent community for them I think

NG+ is a piece of piss compared to the first run.

I really must go back and play Demon Souls again, I've only ever beaten it once.

I want to do a full Jack of all Trades for Dark Souls at some stage, so no stat can be over 5 levels higher than any other. Except resistance, that's just wasting levels.

Will redo my SL1 run at some stage too.

How did you find it CliCli?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Rebooted DS2 yesterday on ps3 for this return to Drangleic event.

God, maybe it'd my controller but the controls feels absolutely awful.

Gave up after an hour.

Must get SOTFS at some stage to see the fps upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

noodler wrote: »
    Rebooted DS2 yesterday on ps3 for this return to Drangleic event.

God, maybe it'd my controller but the controls feels absolutely awful.

Gave up after an hour.

Must get SOTFS at some stage to see the fps upgrade.

The controls are awful. It's like the character doesn't move in all directions the analog stick can point. If you move forward and very slowly steer to the left or right as you move the character won't change direction till about a 45° angle. Not sure if Dark Souls suffered from this issue but i know Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 didn't.

The controls are awful. It's like the character doesn't move in all directions the analog stick can point. If you move forward and very slowly steer to the left or right as you move the character won't change direction till about a 45° angle. Not sure if Dark Souls suffered from this issue but i know Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 didn't.

Dark Souls doesn't, character begins to turn as soon as I put any angle on the joystick.

Man, practising glitches in my favourite game is not fun, it just feels cheap or something. I wonder how fast I could do any Any% No Glitch Run.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anyone playing this ATM?

Looking for some new challenge runs that I'm good enough to attempt.

Also looking to get into speedrunning this for a con next year, has anyone else here tried speedrunning Dark Souls?

My 13 year old son is nearly finished now, loving the game.
    He flew through BB and I suggested this.
    So far so good.
    I'm hoping he goes to play Demons next but he wants to jump to DS3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm hoping he goes to play Demons next but he wants to jump to DS3

Leaving the best game until last. :)

Hows he finding it?

Dark Souls 3 never clicked with me, but I can play 1 endlessly

How did you find it CliCli?

It's easily one of my favourite games that I've played recently to be honest. I feel like it's taught me a lot about really enjoying games and being patient! It might sound cliche but yeah. The lore is great too - Artorias is a cool dude!

CliCliW wrote: »
    It's easily one of my favourite games that I've played recently to be honest. I feel like it's taught me a lot about really enjoying games and being patient! It might sound cliche but yeah. The lore is great too - Artorias is a cool dude!

That's good to hear, I love hearing first impressions of Dark Souls, and opinions after it's been beaten.

Artorias is cool as hell, he's no Solaire though

Beat the Gargoyles in 20 mins earlier, which is quite good pacing. Now I just need to perfect the last 90% of the game.

Solaire actually made me ridiculously sad to be honest, I don't think I could go through the bad ending for him again. Unfortunately that means being a Servant of Chaos again. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

And hey! You're making good progress so far! Keep it up!

You can be a servant of chaos and not watch him suffer, it means not speaking to him though :(

My best time to Anor Londo is 3.5 hours, so I'll probably work on my glitches and up to that point, before going any further.

Moveswap glitch is a pain to pull off.

I'd like to try get through his good ending, same with seigmeyer. I loved seigmeyer but screwed up his quest, killing the chaos eaters before finding him at blighttown. When I went back to the izalith he was standing by the pit and I didn't know what to do so I just killed him. Then I met his daughter. It was pretty heartbreaking!

3.5 hours is an amazing time to get to anor Londo :o did you just skip upper blighttown or did you blast through it?

I've never actually finished Seigmeiers quest line, I always forget about him. He's one of the coolest, must go back to him.

I normally skip the Taurus demon and Solaire when I'm going for speed, so my second boss is the Gargoyles, straight to Blighttown Swamp, nail Quelaag and Homeward Bone back to Undead Parish above Andre, Sens isn't too bad when you know the path and Tarkus wrecks the Iron Golem. I could probably get it to 2.5hrs if I didn't die at all.

I was talking to the guy organising the Con and I think there's others running Dark Souls, so I'm going to run Bloodborne instead now!

Seigmeyer is great, I love him!

Out of interest, how do you get to parish without going through Taurus demon? I'm not sure I've ever seen that before (granted my experience is very limited!).

Sadly I don't know a whole pile about bloodborne due to lacking a ps4, but I hope it goes well for you!

• Advertisement

You know when you go through the Burg, and there's a tower with a locked door? If you go up stairs in the tower you meet the Taurus Demon, if you have the Master Key you can go downstairs, past Havel the Rock (Parry practice), through Darkroot Basin, up into Darkroot Garden and you come out by the Titanite Demon, past Andre and bam, Undead Parish.

I'm afraid my Bloodborne knowledge isn't fantastic either, I know Dark Souls much better, but thank you :) if you happen upon a PS4 in your travels I'd recommend it

You know when you go through the Burg, and there's a tower with a locked door? If you go up stairs in the tower you meet the Taurus Demon, if you have the Master Key you can go downstairs, past Havel the Rock (Parry practice), through Darkroot Basin, up into Darkroot Garden and you come out by the Titanite Demon, past Andre and bam, Undead Parish.

Oh, silly me, I'd forgotten about the darkroots altogether!

I plan on eventually getting a ps4, I'm just not sure when, but I'll probably keep the post here updated when I do!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭GeorgeStobort

Playing through this again . I stupidly killed Andre. Am I fooked? At level 34 . Don't want to start again.

Nope, there's 3 other blacksmiths, I think +10 might be your weapon limit though, can't remember if the giant goes to +15

Nope, there's 3 other blacksmiths, I think +10 might be your weapon limit though, can't remember if the giant goes to +15

Where's the closest one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Playing through this again . I stupidly killed Andre. Am I fooked? At level 34 . Don't want to start again.

As a matter of interest, how do people manage to aggro the blacksmiths? is it just a mistaken button press that does ye in? I killed manscorpion tark in DS2 with a bow, primarily because I didnt like the looks of him and didnt want to lose my souls. little did I know he was a friendly npc.

Where's the closest one

Firelink Shrine, head to New Londo. When you exit the elevator, head down until you reach the first opening with all the hollows. A bit off to the right, there's steps leading down to Griggs.

I always end up agroing them by accidental button presses.

FYI George if you agro another NPC, head for the Gargoyles, just past the arena is another NPC who can give forgiveness, it's not cheap though

It actually wasn't an accident I just didn't want to farm 20k souls to open the door in the dark root garden. Silly I know . The ironic thing is there is a sneaky way of farming souls once that door is open

It actually wasn't an accident I just didn't want to farm 20k souls to open the door in the dark root garden. Silly I know . The ironic thing is there is a sneaky way of farming souls once that door is open

Item Dupe glitch mate, your best friend in times like this.

Get an item with a confirmation box to use, like a Homeward Bone or Boss Soul. Put it on your quick select, roll, wait a moment and press x on Xbox or square on PS3, then quickly pause the game. From the pause menu, go into Inventory, and hit use on an Estus Flask, you'll get a pop-up for the item you tried to use. Hit yes, that item takes effect but isn't consumed.

The timing from Roll -> Use -> Pause can take a few goes to get down, you can be too fast, as well as too slow. Once you pause it you've as much time as you need, just don't walk anywhere. This works even with 0 Estus.

• Advertisement

Item Dupe glitch mate, your best friend in times like this.

Get an item with a confirmation box to use, like a Homeward Bone or Boss Soul. Put it on your quick select, roll, wait a moment and press x on Xbox or square on PS3, then quickly pause the game. From the pause menu, go into Inventory, and hit use on an Estus Flask, you'll get a pop-up for the item you tried to use. Hit yes, that item takes effect but isn't consumed.

The timing from Roll -> Use -> Pause can take a few goes to get down, you can be too fast, as well as too slow. Once you pause it you've as much time as you need, just don't walk anywhere. This works even with 0 Estus.

You can't pause this game .

Advertisement